HAL Cruise Protocols Once Cruising Re-Starts

Heartgrove

We have two cruises booked - Dec 2021 and March 2022.  The Dec one is in a Neptune on the NA and we are visiting private islands/resorts which we have already been to, so even if we run into some restrictions we are not too concerned.

The March one is in a Verandah with some new ports for us, so we really need things to be opened up by then.

20 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Mandatory wearing of masks by all guests and crew on board and during excursions whenever physical distancing cannot be maintained between non-family guests. 

Nope.  Not booking with such a requirement.  

20 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Only shore excursions that comply with Holland America Line prescribed protocols will be permitted, with strict adherence required of all guests and denial of re-boarding for any guests who do not comply.

The MSC policy that seemed to work fairly well and I am agreeable with this.  

Would I accept such a shore visitation/excursion forever and ever?  No.  

Thanks to YXU AC*SE for posting this information.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

I can't imagine wearing a mask in the Caribbean with the heat and humidity.

When one has shortness of breath issues, wearing a mask anywhere can pose problems.  The thought of wearing two masks--if ever required--means for me.....what?  

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

When one has shortness of breath issues, wearing a mask anywhere can pose problems.  The thought of wearing two masks--if ever required--means for me.....what?  

I assume the mask rule is like gambling, once you are in international waters there may be different protocols 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I assume the mask rule is like gambling, once you are in international waters there may be different protocols 

I hope you are correct.  Any rule of wearing any mask is not one of "one size fits all".  I know there is a very distinct minority of us who are in the category of needing to wear a mask is a major issue for physical reasons.  I do (and I suspect others in my category do as well) because it is in the best interest of all of us.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I disagree. If the ship is sailing out of a US port, and is found violating the CDC protocols...you don't think someone might say something to the CDC?...that ship could be banned from sailing from US ports, at barest of minimums. Crew (think top level crew) could lose their jobs. And, I am sure an outbreak on the ship wouldn't make their business (or the cruise business in general) any better either. I don't think the cruise lines want to do anything to throw them back into the deep hole they are in.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

I disagree. If the ship is sailing out of a US port, and is found violating the CDC protocols...you don't think someone might say something to the CDC?...that ship could be banned from sailing from US ports, at barest of minimums. Crew (think top level crew) could lose their jobs. And, I am sure an outbreak on the ship wouldn't make their business (or the cruise business in general) any better either. I don't think the cruise lines want to do anything to throw them back into the deep hole they are in.

You are probably right but I think it is all going to be different by time a fully vaccinated crew and passengers embark.  I will be curious to see what happens next fall

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

By then, perhaps masks won't be required.

That is my hope but it is not clear since the current CDC is not of that thinking.   But what if you are sailing to other countries that accept the vaccine as one and done, that is if vaccinated then no mask.  I think in a perfect world we would have an international, impartial organization establishing the guidelines.  It is an international activity after all.   This would also remove all of the political grasping for power we currently have or maybe I am naive  

Edited by Mary229

We are not going to concern ourselves with it until such time as we decide to cruise again.  We will certainly not even consider booking a cruise until we understand what the on board environment will be, what ports are open to us, and whether or not there will be restrictions on private excursions.  Until that time, at least for us, worrying about it is pointless.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, S&B said:

I have not seen any cruise line talk about a fully vaccinated crew and passengers.  I am still waiting to see that because I am not sure we will cruise without it but maybe that will come in time.

I think it is definitely on their radar as several have said that are mulling it over.

24 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I think it is definitely on their radar as several have said that are mulling it over.

I wonder if they are also spending time trying to figure out if they have this requirement, what kind of proof they will need. It has been pointed out that the CDC card would be easy to forge. Plus all their passengers are not from the US.

21 hours ago, S&B said:

I have not seen any cruise line talk about a fully vaccinated crew and passengers.  I am still waiting to see that because I am not sure we will cruise without it but maybe that will come in time.

I wish they would. Our stand on this, is that we are not going to cruise until a vaccination for all passengers and crew are a requirement.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I wonder if they are also spending time trying to figure out if they have this requirement, what kind of proof they will need. It has been pointed out that the CDC card would be easy to forge. Plus all their passengers are not from the US.

This is were we need some international body, perhaps the WHO to maintain a database that can be used to validate vaccination status. I realize there are a multitude of issues to resolve, mainly related to privacy, for this to happen, but I think the time is right for something like this to happen. Maybe this type of information needs to be encoded into your passport too. This is a global issue and we don't need a bunch of regional solutions, we need just one!

• Like 1

IATA hopefully? 

https://www.iata.org/en/programs/passenger/travel-pass/

The travel industry already heavily relies on IATA -- https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm -- to determine pre-admissability of a foreign national to get onto a conveyance and travel to another country.  As you might imagine there are big fines for carriers who transport person(s) to their destination, to find out based upon their documentation in hand don't meet admissibility requirements. and have to be returned to their country of departure. Health is already a part of that (think yellow fever, malaria, poli prophylaxis)    Scott. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

I wish they would. Our stand on this, is that we are not going to cruise until a vaccination for all passengers and crew are a requirement.

Same with us, too much risk of a cruise disruption otherwise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drowelf said:

Crystal Cruises announced today that all passengers and crew (when the crew can have availability) will need to be vaccinated/tested.  In part from the Crystal website:

"New for 4.0: All guests will be required to be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine (both doses if recommended by manufacturer) at least 14 days prior to boarding any Crystal ship. Verified documentation and/or evidence of vaccination will be required at the time of boarding and failure to provide this documentation will result in denial of boarding. All documentation provided will need to be in English. Please visit our Advisory Alerts page for more information on the COVID-19 vaccine requirements including Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)."

I think all the lines will be requiring vaccinations by the start of cruising.