Single Cabins

Janet524

6 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Yes if you want to pay double the price...which is what I have to do

The single cabins on Edge and Apex are smaller than regular cabins and cost almost as much as paying the single supplement.  All the solo travelers I know (and I'm one of them) took a look at them and said, "No thanks."  I'd rather pay a little more and get a regular cabin.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Yes if you want to pay double the price...which is what I have to do

Since DH no longer cruise I travel solo sometimes with a friend or family member. I do enjoy my alone time but also love meeting new people and have remained friends with many through social media. Can't say there are any cons to cruising solo, at least none that I've experienced. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The single cabins on Edge and Apex are smaller than regular cabins and cost almost as much as paying the single supplement.  All the solo travelers I know (and I'm one of them) took a look at them and said, "No thanks."  I'd rather pay a little more and get a regular cabin.

Interesting.  Have you checked the difference in price with the implementation of the AI?  Just curious.  May be different numbers if you want to upgrade the drink package, since you may not need to pay double for that privilege in a single cabin.  Of course I am sure you and others solo cruisers are hoping that fix that part.

23 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Since DH no longer cruise I travel solo sometimes with a friend or family member. I do enjoy my alone time but also love meeting new people and have remained friends with many through social media. Can't say there are any cons to cruising solo, at least none that I've experienced. 

The con to traveling solo is paying double the price. And for some unknown reason, even the upgrades are paid double on celebrity (on princess the room is double and the upgraded perks are solo)

34 minutes ago, denatravels said:

The con to traveling solo is paying double the price. And for some unknown reason, even the upgrades are paid double on celebrity (on princess the room is double and the upgraded perks are solo)

I guess for me I don't consider paying double occupancy a con as its my choice to travel solo. In order to save money I do opt for the cheapest balcony then get a 1 category upgrade.  Many times have snagged a C2 mid ship on a high deck for no additional cost.  Never had beverage packages and the 90 minutes free wifi was sufficient. 

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I guess for me I don't consider paying double occupancy a con as its my choice to travel solo. In order to save money I do opt for the cheapest balcony then get a 1 category upgrade.  Many times have snagged a C2 mid ship on a high deck for no additional cost.  Never had beverage packages and the 90 minutes free wifi was sufficient. 

I too have resigned myself to paying double for a reasonable cabin on the mass market lines. But under Celebrity's new rules you may also find yourself paying double for all of the including "perks" -- for your non-existent cabin mate. Are you okay with that as well?  It strikes me as pretty unfair and even more solo-unfriendly than most other lines.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I too have resigned myself to paying double for a reasonable cabin on the mass market lines. But under Celebrity's new rules you may also find yourself paying double for all of the including "perks" -- for your non-existent cabin mate. Are you okay with that as well?  It strikes me as pretty unfair and even more solo-unfriendly than most other lines.

Like @drakes2 said, I also choose to (mostly) cruise solo, so when I do, I know what I am doing and making the choice to do so.  That said, I certainly understand that it can rankle others.

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Are you okay with that as well?  It strikes me as pretty unfair and even more solo-unfriendly than most other lines.

No I'm definitely not ok with paying 2x for drinks, wifi and gratuities but I do want to use the FCC I have so will suck it up but after will most likely sail with Princess since my Elite status won't mean anything with X. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not OK with that, but I'm not in charge at Celebrity.  I can vote with my feet.  Clearly Celebrity does not value its solo cruisers.  That's their choice.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'm not OK with that, but I'm not in charge at Celebrity.  I can vote with my feet.  Clearly Celebrity does not value its solo cruisers.  That's their choice.

Yeah kind of a bummer. A similar itinerary of the same length and time of year is half the cost with Princess.  I still enjoy Princess last cruise was on the Royal in 2014 and I found the food to be equally as good. 

On 2/17/2021 at 10:43 AM, jelayne said:

Only the Edge and Apex have single cabins.

I think the Silhouette got a couple inside single cabins during the Revolution.  Perhaps the other S-class ships will get a couple of singles if they ever complete the Revolution.  I believe they are on Deck 9 by the mid-ship elevator

Edited by ipeeinthepool

Out of curiosity I just priced 10 N cruise in a Single IV veranda cabin on the Edge and compared it to a IV for 2 people on the same sailing.  Both with  AI no upgrade and with a refundable deposit.

The  IV for 2 was $ 6954 the single IV was $3457  so in this case the single cabin was slightly less than half the cost.  It is unfortunate that there are so few single cabins.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:19 PM, ipeeinthepool said:

I think the Silhouette got a couple inside single cabins during the Revolution.  Perhaps the other S-class ships will get a couple of singles if they ever complete the Revolution.  I believe they are on Deck 9 by the mid-ship elevator

Not interested in either single or inside single cabins.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:36 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Generally a solo cruiser here, and a very happy Celebrity customer.  When I make a reservation, obviously I am aware that I am basically paying for 2, but that is a choice that I make because I love the Celerity experience.  Are the costs right now higher, they sure are, which to me is understandable in this current situation, just not causing me to look elsewhere, because I have found a product that I truly like, and they treat me extremely well, the on-board experience IMO is the best.

34 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Generally a solo cruiser here, and a very happy Celebrity customer.  When I make a reservation, obviously I am aware that I am basically paying for 2, but that is a choice that I make because I love the Celerity experience.  Are the costs right now higher, they sure are, which to me is understandable in this current situation, just not causing me to look elsewhere, because I have found a product that I truly like, and they treat me extremely well, the on-board experience IMO is the best.

Judging by comments on numerous threads since the introduction of Always Included, solo cruisers who had long ago accepted the rationale for paying a 2-passenger rate for their cabin can neither understand nor willingly accept Celebrity's decision to charge a 2-passenger rate for AI. It particularly hard to swallow for those who in the past only paid 1 x gratuities and now must pay for 2 x (gratuities + beverage package + wifi).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Judging by comments on numerous threads since the introduction of Always Included, solo cruisers who had long ago accepted the rationale for paying a 2-passenger rate for their cabin can neither understand nor willingly accept Celebrity's decision to charge a 2-passenger rate for AI. It particularly hard to swallow for those who in the past only paid 1 x gratuities and now must pay for 2 x (gratuities + beverage package + wifi).

With all due respect, please don't tell me what I can understand or willingly accept, I make those decisions.  If we were both to purchase the same exact car, and you paid $2000 less than me, you got a better deal, I didn't do my homework or just accepted the deal I was offered, but then it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

With all due respect, please don't tell me what I can understand or willingly accept, I make those decisions.  If we were both to purchase the same exact car, and you paid $2000 less than me, you got a better deal, I didn't do my homework or just accepted the deal I was offered, but then it is what it is.

With due respect, I wasn't addressing what you personally understand or accept, I was commenting about what has been reflected in the posts of many different CC members over the past months, since the introduction of AI.

BTW, I don't need to tell you what you understand or are willing to understand when you state it directly in your post:  "I am aware that I am basically paying for 2, but that is a choice that I make because I love the Celerity experience." You've made that same point in multiple posts, and I have no problem with it. Just recognize the fact that other solo passengers have a different point of view.   

I think that Celebrity may have recognized that there is a market for single cabins and added them on the Edge and increased the number on the Apex.  So for those traveling solo who don't want to pay the double price with AI for the standard cabins these appear to be a reasonable option.  Size is about 75% of a regular  IV veranda and the price is about half that for 2 in a standard IV.  Granted they don't have suites, aqua or concierge class single staterooms but  do other cruise lines??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

With due respect, I wasn't addressing what you personally understand or accept, I was commenting about what has been reflected in the posts of many different CC members over the past months, since the introduction of AI.

BTW, I don't need to tell you what you understand or are willing to understand when you state it directly in your post:  "I am aware that I am basically paying for 2, but that is a choice that I make because I love the Celerity experience." You've made that same point in multiple posts, and I have no problem with it. Just recognize the fact that other solo passengers have a different point of view.   

Just recognize the fact that other solo passengers have a different point of view.   I do, as I have said in MANY of my posts re AI, I totally get it, what works some does not work for others, just don't feel the need to add it ad infinitum.  When it does not work for others they speak to it, I was speaking for me and me only.

13 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Just recognize the fact that other solo passengers have a different point of view.   I do, as I have said in MANY of my posts re AI, I totally get it, what works some does not work for others, just don't feel the need to add it ad infinitum.  When it does not work for others they speak to it, I was speaking for me and me only.

I have "recognized the fact" , here is one example, not going to search for others.

LGW59: I def hear you on that.  I generally only take one cruise per year and it is usually as a solo.  So I guess for me, just taking one each year causes less of a burden, those of you who cruise far more often, I am sure it hurts.