The Daily for Friday Feb 19, 2021

richwmn

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning all, and thanks to Rich, Roy, and the drinks and recipes ladies!  And Happy Birthday to @cruisemom42!  There was an item on a news show recently (I forget whether it was Canadian or a US channel) that said we would soon be wearing face shields over our double masks, with all the variants around.  Quite a thought.  My son the optician dropped by the other day and I asked him if there were any glasses with a no-fog coating, he said no.  I think that would be a great invention!  I have a terrible time fogging up my glasses when I double-mask.  I can't seem to get them tight enough around my nose.  So I have to take off my glasses, which is alright most of the time, but I can't read all that well without them, so I occasionally bring home the wrong item from the grocery store...

I've heard "double masking" is a good idea (from health professionals) especially in stores like Costco that seemed to be crowded and other stores UNLESS you go during Senior Hours😷

• Like 6

@cruisemom42Happy birthday - have a glass of wine for me!

My DH got a call from the VA today, so he will be getting his first shot tomorrow.  They actually could have taken him today, but we're getting snow and the roads were a bit icy (where were the plows????). I'm still trying to get an appointment, but I'm not a quitter so I'll keep trying!

Have a great evening, thanks for all the beautiful pictures and happy posts - what a great place to visit every day!!

Laura

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@Horizon chaser 1957, you just sold me a cruise to Tahiti. I’ve been interested based on so many blogs. Your post put me over the edge. Now to wait for Covid to get under control before I book. 

Gosh, I’m homesick for a ship. 

(By the way, did anyone find Veendam’s promenade deck that was missing in my dream last week.)

🛳️ Last March (2020) we were in Papeete waiting to board the Maasdam for an incredible itinerary----unfortunately, the ship was not allowed to dock because of the virus and was later sold along with the Veendam. Tahiti is beautiful and if you go a few days early, take a ferry over to Mo'orea (another beautiful island in French Polynesia). 😍 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@Horizon chaser 1957, you just sold me a cruise to Tahiti. I’ve been interested based on so many blogs. Your post put me over the edge. Now to wait for Covid to get under control before I book. 

Gosh, I’m homesick for a ship. 

(By the way, did anyone find Veendam’s promenade deck that was missing in my dream last week.)

Thank you! You must have read my Tahiti blog post. If not, here’s the link: https://apassportinmyparasol.wordpress.com/2020/02/27/papeete-tahiti-french-polynesia-february-22-2020/

It was going to be just a random ramble day, and turned into one of the most magical experiences of the entire voyage! Definitely go - you won’t regret it!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 7

Thanks for the daily reports.   Caregivers day  should be everyday.

@Sharon in AZ your Daffodils have opened, lovely to see them.

@rafinmdlovely sunrise and sunset photos.

@cruisemom45 Happy Birthday, hope you are having a super day.

Yesterday the first Pfizer vaccines in this country were administered to the staff who will begin vaccinating the border workers today.

Another pleasant sunny day,  22 C expected.

Stay safe and well everyone.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Below a pic of my bread.

Vermont Sourdough.JPG

Wow!  Your bread looks like it came from a professional bakery. I’ve seen those proofing baskets but was never interested because I thought they probably didn’t add much to the overall finished bread but I am so wrong. I’ve seen them in different sizes too.  Where did you buy yours?

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Wow!  Your bread looks like it came from a professional bakery. I’ve seen those proofing baskets but was never interested because I thought they probably didn’t add much to the overall finished bread but I am so wrong. I’ve seen them in different sizes too.  Where did you buy yours?

Thanks Sharon. I bought mine from Breadtopia, but they are available on Amazon, King Arthur flour and other online sites. Imported German ones can be pricey. There are different shapes - round for boules, oval for batards, long ones for baguettes. There are cloth liners that some use, but then you don't get as distinct rings; I dust them with rice flour to lessen sticking of the dough. I need to work on my scoring of the loaf. Some people do intricate designs, I mainly do it to help the loaf expand.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Sorry haven’t posted anything in a while but have been following along every day.  So sorry for all the Texans suffering and hope everything settles soon and back to normal.  Birthday wishes to cruise mom, I beat you by 16 days.  Thanks all for your gorgeous travel photos, funny cartoons and memes, they certainly put a smile on my face.  My only news here is my dh snagged me an appointment at the university of tenn for a COVID shot and we went today. Easy Peasy in and out in 20 minutes, 15 was the wait time. It was pfizer and no effect from it at all, my arm doesn’t even feel sore, maybe I dreamed the whole thing but I checked and I have a card with the return date of March 12 th so I guess it’s true. I was worried the shot would make my arthritis flare up just like the flu shot does but knock on wood so far so good. We got home around 1:15 and about an hour later my dh tried again to get an appointment for himself and bingo he’s scheduled for 9:45 am tomorrow. The stars are aligning, so everyone still waiting you will get yours, hang in there.  Loved all the meal suggestions but we celebrated with Chinese tonight.   Stay safe everyone we are turning the corner it’s looking brighter hang in there.   Linda

• Like 10

13 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Thanks Sharon. I bought mine from Breadtopia, but they are available on Amazon, King Arthur flour and other online sites. Imported German ones can be pricey. There are different shapes - round for boules, oval for batards, long ones for baguettes. There are cloth liners that some use, but then you don't get as distinct rings; I dust them with rice flour to lessen sticking of the dough. I need to work on my scoring of the loaf. Some people do intricate designs, I mainly do it to help the loaf expand.

Thanks for this. I have not heard of scoring a loaf, and that sent me on a lengthy rabbit hole. I better understand why my bread has spread and fallen.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Thank you! You must have read my Tahiti blog post. If not, here’s the link: https://apassportinmyparasol.wordpress.com/2020/02/27/papeete-tahiti-french-polynesia-february-22-2020/

It was going to be just a random ramble day, and turned into one of the most magical experiences of the entire voyage! Definitely go - you won’t regret it!

Thanks. We are on the Maasdam last February out of Sydney and as garlictown mentioned we were denied docking so we couldn’t pick them up. Your blog gave us a taste of Tahiti (Rarotonga was our last port we could get off ship). We’ve rebooked for February 2022 and a back up for October 2022!  We’re determined to get there!

• Like 2