Original Queen Mary in Trouble

resistk

its not the first time unfortunately and it has been saved at the 11th hour, Disney even had a go at it at one stage. It would not be cheap to maintain and quite a few operators have done very cheap and unsuitable repairs and "restorations" in the past - sadly it might be the kindest thing to do and to let her go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad to hear this.

We had purchased tickets to tour the ship on our trip to California in March of 2020.

My son is obsessed with Titanic, Cunard, etc and it was going to be a birthday present.

Oh well. now I know why I can't get a refund 😞

On 2/21/2021 at 7:45 PM, roscoe39 said:

its not the first time unfortunately and it has been saved at the 11th hour, Disney even had a go at it at one stage. It would not be cheap to maintain and quite a few operators have done very cheap and unsuitable repairs and "restorations" in the past - sadly it might be the kindest thing to do and to let her go.

I tend to agree.  The QM will be 100 years old in 16? years.  As much as I’d like to see her preserved the operators have done everything wrong to preserve her.  Covering those magnificent wood veneer walls, in her First Class passageways, with cheap wall paper was really stupid.  The wall paper was glued on with a special glue that makes it impossible to remove...really dumb.  Even the First Class restaurant is filled with cheap furniture.  It would cost too much money to restore and preserve her...sad.

I agree - Normandie. I visited the old Lady twice- the last time was in 2007 - i found she was in relativ good shape- keeping in mind her age! What really made cringe where those cheap banket stools in the Main Dining Room. Such a magnificent room spoiled with cheap furniture.

I never heard of the wallpaper- what a horrible thing to do.

I also planed to stay on board for two or three nights.... but that went down the drain because of the Pandemic. She surrvived the war and the end of the era of the Ocean Liners- so i cross fingers that she will survive the Pandemic.

This has been coming for decades.  While many may decry the poor "restorations" to the visible hotel parts of the ship, the simple fact that they left the ship afloat is what has contributed to the $280 million repair bill.  Her hull and systems have never been properly maintained.  It has never made a profit, and depended on the adjacent convention center to make a profit.  Unlike the SSUS, situated well up the Delaware River in fresh water, the Queen Mary has sat for 50 years in a salt water lagoon.

The city had an engineer who was to make assessments of the Queen Mary. He gave many years worth of assessments stating the damages and what needed to be done. The city’s response? They fired the engineer. Enjoy

Ron

The first time I saw The Queen Mary in Long Beach was in 1995. Back then, she still looked grand, with her bright red funnels and jet black hull. I didn’t return until 2014, and by then, she already looked sadly neglected and faded, as if the last time that she’d received a paint job was the last time I was there almost 20 years prior. 

I truly hope that the right investor comes along. It would be a shame to  let this historic gem go. 

I stayed on board a few years back and it was a bit of a sad experience.  It was around Halloween and kids were running up and down the corridors in the hotel section.  I think this was because they had a "Haunted Ship" experience that attracted a lot of people.   The next morning I was saddened to see that someone had vandalized the wood paneling in the corridor by "keying" it.

I also agree that the ship looked tired.   Hopefully an arrangement can be made where there is a real effort at, and funding for, restoration and maintenance.

Currently, the website is not accepting hotel reservations which  is not a good sign.

• 5 months later...

We were lucky to have visited her and OMG what an absolutely beautiful and unique ship she is .  The Art Deco furnishings , the Ballroom, the cocktail lounge , everywhere you looked it felt as if you had been transported back in time and history. No other ship will ever be built like her and I am very upset to not have a chance to visit her again ... 

• 4 months later...
On 1/28/2022 at 12:31 AM, bluemarble said:

I'm reviving this thread to post this link to the following article in today's (January 27, 2022) Los Angeles Times.

Queen Mary, once at risk of capsizing, gets a new lease on life starting February

Wow.  If the weight of lifeboats is causing undue stress (considering the ship was designed with them), then the $289 million repair bill will be far too low.  Best thing they could do is encase it in concrete and fill in around it.