Mediterranean in october?

Due to the cancellation of our September 2021 Holy Land cruise we now have the option to Lift&Shift to 2022. The same itinerary is  only in may and/or october.

Normally I would not consider going on vacation in October because I want to be able to swim outside and have nice weather.

The may itinerary is different and we prefer the October one.

Has anyone ever cruised in the Med in October. What kind of weather should I expect? I don't need super hot, but it is important for me to be able to sit by the pool on the ship and not be cold.

Edited by Marga.Anders

It would help if you could say the itinerary.  There could be a lot of difference between sailing around say Northern Italy and South of France on a West Med cruise and Southern Greece/Turkey on an East Med cruise. Also the earlier in October, the better chance of good weather 

We cruised from Venice a week in october once. Venice was grey and gloomy with pouring rain. Actually some areas in town were flooded. Kotor was cancelled due to strong winds, making tendering impossible. Once we got to Athens and Crete we enjoyed sunshine and warm weather.

Hope this helps? :)

1 hour ago, Marga.Anders said:

Has anyone ever cruised in the Med in October. What kind of weather should I expect? I don't need super hot, but it is important for me to be able to sit by the pool on the ship and not be cold.

We have sailed the Med in late September through to mid-October on a number of occasions and had good weather on all of them, definitely warm enough for sunbathing on at least some days. Our cruises at that time have mostly been western Med but one went as far east as Corfu. 

Both May and October can be changeable in the Med though, so you do need to go prepared for some cooler days as well. I think October is likely to be warmer than May as you coming out of summer, so there is still some of the summer heat.

This is our arrival into Corfu on 13 October 2015. As you can see the weather was gorgeous. (The photo seems to be uploading twice for some reason and try as I might I can't get rid of the duplicate, so apologies for that.)

IMGP0001.JPG

IMGP0001.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Bobal said:

It would help if you could say the itinerary.  There could be a lot of difference between sailing around say Northern Italy and South of France on a West Med cruise and Southern Greece/Turkey on an East Med cruise. Also the earlier in October, the better chance of good weather 

You are right of course:

it's 

Rome - Limassol Cyprus, Jerusalem, Haifa, Rhodes, Santorini, Chania Crete, Rome

Starting October 7th

58 minutes ago, Marga.Anders said:

You are right of course:

it's 

Starting October 7th

I took a similar cruise in October about 10-yrs ago.  I found it to be the perfect weather.  It was plenty warm enough to sit on the deck and get some sun, but not so hot that we couldn't enjoy our excursions.  Some of the place you visit prefer visitors to wear long pant/skirts and not show shoulders, so I think the slightly cooler weather is better.  There are also fewer tourists which is a bonus! 

Coincidentally, I took a cruise in the Netherlands in October 2019.  If my two trips are any indication, it will be noticeably warmer and sunnier in the Med. 

(Of course, any sailing might have bad weather.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marga.Anders said:

You are right of course:

it's 

Starting October 7th

If I was making this decision and I am somebody that truly enjoys lounging in the warm sun and swimming, I would pick the oct 7th sailing.  Imo May would be chillier than early October.

But we all know weather is unpredictable for any cruise anywhere you go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marga.Anders said:

You are right of course:

it's 

Starting October 7th

With those ports I would think you should have some lovely weather at that time of year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marga.Anders said:

You are right of course:

it's 

Starting October 7th

October should be wonderful weather for this cruise.  Exceptions can occur, but on average these ports should be great at that time of year.

• Like 2

Granted our honeymoon cruise in October to the Greek isle was in 1997 but it was wonderful weather but be prepared for anything. Bring a light jacket for the evenings as it can be cooler. It was cloudy in Venice and Rome, but sunny and wonderful in Santorini, Mykonos and Dubrovnik. We will be going back soon. Love that time of year to cruise.

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

October should be wonderful weather for this cruise.  Exceptions can occur, but on average these ports should be great at that time of year.

October should be great for the Holy Land.

But it is also, in 2022 a month of High Holidays, with a lot of people being in vacation and some of the attractions closed, especially Fridays afternoon and Saturdays.

Since your cruise starts on 7th, be aware that those holidays are between 9 and 17 October.

• Like 1

Done this that time of year many times and it is usually nice weather.  However, we have also had chilly weather in a port of two.  Advantage is less tourists.  If you are from a cool climate, even the chilly days will be pleasant.

We did a 12 night Med/Greece May 18, 2019..The only place we had a bit of rain was in Florence, otherwise the weather was great especially in Greece & Malta....This was one of our favorite itineraries !!

On 3/2/2021 at 6:43 AM, Marga.Anders said:

You are right of course:

it's 

Starting October 7th

Great itinerary! I’ve done an early October Greek Isles cruise, an October land tour in Turkey, and a November land tour in Israel. The weather for all 3 was perfect. A Holy Land or Greek Isles cruise in September would’ve been too hot for me.

• Like 1