Strange Question- Steakhouse

Diane5583

I have never bothered with the specialty restaurants before, but will have onboard credit for upcoming cruise and would like to try the steakhouse.  First... Looking at the menu I really only want 3 starters.  I want them all and could care less about the rest of the menu.  Will they let me do that?  Not sure how you pay for the meal at the steakhouse.  Is it per item or do you pay for a meal which includes like a started, main and side????

2nd... Do I have to make a reservation or are they open for lunch where I could probably at some point just walk up and get in?

• Thanks 1

they are only open for dinner and you make reservations. it is one price which includes everything except alcohol. you get your starters and salad and entree and dessert i think. we go at least once every cruise and have always enjoyed it. i think it is now like $38 a person. and well worth it. i have no idea about your question on only having starters. you would still pay the same amount. we always carry dessert with us because no way can we eat it after such a meal.

• Like 3

I can tell you from experience that the French Onion soup, the shrimp cocktail and the Lobster Bisque are fabulous!  They didn't have oysters on the menu the last time we tried the steakhouse. I think it is worth every penny and we've only skipped it once on a sailing.  I do wonder if the menus (not just in the steakhouse, but other food establishments also) will be altered or tweaked in any way.  This certainly would have been the time to do it.  I cannot imagine the provisioning nightmare that all of the constant and ever evolving uncertainty must be bringing.

Edited by vamartha

If you make a reservation on the first night, you get a free bottle of wine.  I had the sole and it was excellent.  My first time in the Carnival Steakhouse and well worth it. 

I would try the steakhouse except DW doesn't like red meat that much and I don't want to pay $38 for a chicken breast. They do have select steakhouse items on the MDR menu that one can buy a la carte and on a cruise a couple of years ago I splurged and ordered the filet mignon. 

Seeing a few of you saying you get dessert to go... on our last cruise, I believe it was on the Breeze, my husband and I went to dinner at the steakhouse. The ship was rocky that night and I was feeling queasy so I went back to the cabin after dinner while my husband stayed to order our dessert to bring back. They would not allow him to take dessert back to the cabin.  I thought it was odd, but he even persisted a bit and they wouldn’t budge.  

7 minutes ago, bittytvls said:

Seeing a few of you saying you get dessert to go... on our last cruise, I believe it was on the Breeze, my husband and I went to dinner at the steakhouse. The ship was rocky that night and I was feeling queasy so I went back to the cabin after dinner while my husband stayed to order our dessert to bring back. They would not allow him to take dessert back to the cabin.  I thought it was odd, but he even persisted a bit and they wouldn’t budge.  

That's odd - I've successfully taken dessert form the Steakhouse (IIRC), and definitely the MDR.  Maybe the manager that night/cruise was new or having a bad day...

The Steakhouse should definitely allow 3 apps with no entree and 1 dessert (excepting large "art" creation they make at your table) the that you can choose to bring back to your cabin if that's your preference.

Let's see, the shrimp cocktail, tuna tatare and the lobster bisque would be among my choices next cruise.  I usually order 2 apps to go with my med.rare filet mignon.  I used to enjoy the cheesecake from the old menu, but now I get the fruit cup and finish it in the restaurant.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Roz said:

If you make a reservation on the first night, you get a free bottle of wine.  I had the sole and it was excellent.  My first time in the Carnival Steakhouse and well worth it. 

Is that what the bottle of liquid was? I've had much better $4 bottles of moscato from our local Aldi's. free is free.

10 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

That's odd - I've successfully taken dessert form the Steakhouse (IIRC), and definitely the MDR.  Maybe the manager that night/cruise was new or having a bad day...

Probably should have had it brought to the table, THEN asked for it to be wrapped "to go".

15 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I would try the steakhouse except DW doesn't like red meat that much and I don't want to pay $38 for a chicken breast. They do have select steakhouse items on the MDR menu that one can buy a la carte and on a cruise a couple of years ago I splurged and ordered the filet mignon. 

Will she eat fish?  The sole was excellent, and the meal was worth the $38.

15 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I asked to do it once in the MDR. They said no. I never tried again.

8 hours ago, Roz said:

Will she eat fish?  The sole was excellent, and the meal was worth the $38.

Unfortunately she is allergic to shellfish and regular fish makes her sick, so that isn't an option either. 

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Unfortunately she is allergic to shellfish and regular fish makes her sick, so that isn't an option either. 

I tried. 😄

• Haha 1

Personally I think the Steakhouse has gone downhill big time over the last decade+. The value at 38 is not worth it, although I'm sure many would disagree.   I would pay 15 at Jiji's and another 15 at Cucina for the tomahawk pork chop and have 16 bucks left over between the two of us and would have had two meals versus one. 

An even worse value though is the Teppanyaki,  which is about the same price as land based versions, so has zero value to me.

Looking forward to the new options on the Excellence Class ships.

Edited by SNJCruisers