All FCCs must be used for sailings prior to 2023

I am not sure how news worthy this is but I was trying to book a cruise for April 2023 and move $600 worth of ‘Administration Fee’ credits (the $100 pp they charge every time you cancel a reservation) to that booking.  My TA has a very close working relationship with Regent was told by his contact there that Regent is not allowing the use of FCCs or AFCs for sailings later than December 2022.  The contact at Regent was quite surprised that they wouldn’t budge on this policy for anyone.  We were looking at a cabin priced at $35K for 2023.  We ended up moving the credits to a more modest cabin on the Mariner in September 2022.  Perhaps if Regent’s cruise cancellations continue into the Fall of 2021they will need to revisit this policy, as it makes the re-booking window very tight.

• Thanks 1

Yes, we’ve been aware for some time that all FCC has to be used by 12/31/22.

We are lucky we are retired.

We have 2 segments booked for this Fall, 2 more segments booked for Spring ‘22 as a backup in case this Fall doesn’t work out, and finally a Fall ‘22 cruise to use it all up.

We are booked on the WC’23, and had hoped to use a lot of this FCC on that. That’s when we found out we had to use it all up by the end of ‘22.

I could understand if you had to be ‘booked by’ the end of 2022, but for the sailing to have to depart by then is surprising.  My first thought was that if NCL Holdings wanted to sell Regent they may not want the FCC liabilities on the books.  Most likely not in their immediate plans, but perhaps at the back of their minds.  

We are also retired and have five sailings booked (four Regent and one Azamara) between December 2021 and April 2023.  We really don’t have room to add any others, so fingers crossed that they all sail.  

The current policy is book by the end of 2021 (somewhat flexible) and sail by the end of 2022.

As with any policy, this is subject to change.

I've had 7 cancel and have 5 in the next 12 months. I will continue to roll credits forward but I am not putting more money into the pot until a ship sails.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

Regent is not allowing the use of FCCs or AFCs for sailings later than December 2022.  The contact at Regent was quite surprised that they wouldn’t budge on this policy for anyone.

I have the same experience. Regent is very strict on this issue and do not allow the extension of "sail by date" to 2023 cruises. Apparently they have a very positive number of new bookings (and many of those guests are not using FCCs for deposit) on 2023 voyages

1 hour ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

I have the same experience. Regent is very strict on this issue and do not allow the extension of "sail by date" to 2023 cruises. Apparently they have a very positive number of new bookings (and many of those guests are not using FCCs for deposit) on 2023 voyages

This policy may change. There is zero chance Regent is going to stiff clients who, in good faith, try to use their FCC by the deadline...especially if they don't sail until 2022.

• Haha 1

I'm sure that Regent wants to clear the FCC liability off their books as soon as they can, regardless of what the future might hold for the company.  They are likely to hold on to the December 2022 deadline as long as they can, but unless they can start sailing again soon they might eventually have to extend it.

Same experience here, except with the added twist we were told just this past week by our TA that Regent told them we had to book by 4/28/21, and cruise by 12/31/2022. Our May 2020 cruise on Mariner was canceled, ditto May 2021 cruise on Splendor, so now we have a May 2022 cruise on Voyager booked, in the hope by that time, all the turbulence will have settled down. We did get a nice additional Society savings on the one we booked. We have kept faith with Regent and allowed them to retain our cash without the value of a cruise in return over the course of what will be two years, and have continued to re-book, as have thousands of others. Surely the karma will be good!

7 hours ago, Pcardad said:

There is zero chance Regent is going to stiff clients who, in good faith, try to use their FCC by the deadline...

Au contraire - that is exactly what they are doing right now 

I just walked away from booking a 2023 cruise with Regent because they would not agree to transfer an “Admin charge” from a 2021 booking without tagging it as not to be able to be transferred again on the event of a change initiated by them or I 

It’s their choice what policy they choose to apply but they need to understand the consequences of their position and how people might respond when faced with the loss of these Admin fees if wanting to or forced into a 2023 booking (in my case our 2021 cruise ex Vancouver clearly isn’t going to happen given Canada’s recently announced rules - but of course Regent will hold off formal cancellation for a while yet to help their cash flow - eventually we’ll get our deposit back 

In our case, because of this policy, we’ve crossed Regent off our list and booked on Silversea which will be new to us 

Edited by Stickman1990

I have never considered those FCC. I mean I would rather have cash in my pocket and decide myself what I want and can do with it really. I mean seriously, its so much better to have real money than those FCC. These days you cant even know if your cruise will take place 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Au contraire - that is exactly what they are doing right now 

I just walked away from booking a 2023 cruise with Regent because they would not agree to transfer an “Admin charge” from a 2021 booking without tagging it as not to be able to be transferred again on the event of a change initiated by them or I 

It’s their choice what policy they choose to apply but they need to understand the consequences of their position and how people might respond when faced with the loss of these Admin fees if wanting to or forced into a 2023 booking (in my case our 2021 cruise ex Vancouver clearly isn’t going to happen given Canada’s recently announced rules - but of course Regent will hold off formal cancellation for a while yet to help their cash flow - eventually we’ll get our deposit back 

In our case, because of this policy, we’ve crossed Regent off our list and booked on Silversea which will be new to us 

Sounds like a completely different issue. I am speaking of people who are carrying hundreds of thousands of dollars in FCC - health issues/cruise issues/Covid issues may prevent them from using them in the next 21 months. Regent will work with those people...I know this.

Nor is this a cash-flow issue. Part of it is the chance that some cruises may still go. Part of it is they have developed a system with a reasonable turn time on refunds (well under 60 days). This is acceptable to the majority.

Have fun on Silversea...they put on a nice expedition to Antarctica.

23 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

I am not sure how news worthy this is but I was trying to book a cruise for April 2023 and move $600 worth of ‘Administration Fee’ credits (the $100 pp they charge every time you cancel a reservation) to that booking. 

24 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Sounds like a completely different issue.

The first post states what the issue is and is very specific. That’s what I’m referring to 

I think you’ve taken the discussion off onto a different aspect - not what the thread is about 

Regent have been very clear on what they will or won’t allow in terms of use in 2023 - so that’s probably a good indication of how they’ll treat others with funds such as FCCs when it comes to trying to use them for 2023 cruises - that is currently not allowed 

Edited by Stickman1990

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

The first post states what the issue is and is very specific. That’s what I’m referring to 

You are correct, I mentioned FCCs in my title only because my agent said that Regent are not allowing  either FCCs or Admin Fee credits (AFCs) to be brought forward into 2023.  In my case it was $600 worth of Admin fees.  On the three bookings I cancelled I correctly surmised that they weren’t going to sail, so I  pulled the plug before final payment.  As a result I have AFCs but don’t have any FCCs (thank goodness).  My point was that having done many, many booking with Regent my TA was caught off guard (as was his Regent contact) with this new ‘sail by’ restriction on AFCs.

Here is the wording regarding AFCs from Regent’s FAQ section.  It seems to contradict their new rule:

“Once a deposit is made, all reservations are subject to an administration fee for any changes or cancellations made. This administration fee may be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation and for travel any time.”

Holly

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When COVID started, I took my cash refund and never looked back and never regretted that decision. I love to cruise but only do so occasionally, maybe once a year at most, so it wasn’t hard to give “it” up. I won’t even a consider a cruise until we know for sure that things are back to normal. So I took that refund and bought an Airstream RV and have loved every minute of it, sharing great times with my grandchildren and enjoying the great outdoors. I feel bad for those of you who are going through the uncertainties and cancellations of cruises. Hopefully, most of us get vaccinated and we can get back to something near normal in our daily lives. Maybe in 2022 or beyond, our paths will cross on a cruise ship. After all, there are so many places I want to see and experience that I cannot get to in a RV.

Thank you but you certainly don't need to feel bad for me. I am very grateful for the experiences I have had.

You should consider cruising again though....a ship with 100% vaccination rate is a lot safer than driving around the country with people in your RV who have not been vaccinated....not to mention the people you are interacting with. While you may be vaccinated, your loved ones may not be.

Either way, wishing you safe and happy times ahead!

Well Mr Levin, you have opened my eyes to cruising with my Airstream. The Pappy cruise line will be open soon. We have room for 4 more people. Book early, the prices will go up soon. Send me your 10% deposit and I will hold onto it and let you know every month or so if the cruise will sail. 

PCARDAD, my reference to feeling bad for folks has only to do with the current uncertainty and continuous cancellations of cruises. I know how exciting it is to find a cruise you want and go through all the planning and anticipation. I was there last year and then COVID hit and it took all the air out of my excitement when I cancelled my September 2020 cruise to the British Isles. I will cruise again and I will certainly consider Regent when I do but I will wait until things settle down. That probably won’t be until 2022 or beyond. In the meantime, I have other journeys to enjoy. My wife and I are fully vaccinated and we still wear masks and social distance. That is very doable when camping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Menu is limited. Eggs, toast & choice of meat (bacon or sausage) for breakfast. PB & Jelly on home made bread for lunch. Dinner is probably going to be something that was home made and previously frozen and microwaveable or if we are docked, hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill. Drinks are BYO and must be shared with the staff. Gratuities are not included, prepaid and not optional. Staff will determine the amount as a percentage of the fare. The % is subject to change without notice. The staff sleeping quarters are on the same deck and the guest sleeping arrangements are pull outs from the dinette and couch. Wi-Fi will probably be as good as the luxury cruise lines so please plan on poor service and no streaming. You will be able to remain on board for land excursions. The excursion reservation system is painless and there are no wait lists. Wherever management decides to go, we all go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1