Cruising travel insurance requirements??

Somebody in another Forum elsewhere posted that they have received an email from P&O UK regarding specific travel insurance requirements for a supposed upcoming P&O UK cruise . The email said "

You must have:
insurance with cruise cover, (do not assume you will have it - ask your insurer or check policy states this),
£2million medical cover,
covid 19 medical cover,
medical evacuation cover,
all known medical conditions declared and covered,
repatriation cover and a policy that covers all countries you are visiting if you don't have full world wide cover
and the policy covers full period of your holiday.
It also states that you will be asked to provide and show insurance documentation before you can board or you will not be allowed to board for your holiday."

Seems to me I can recall this kind of thing in the past in the fine print of cruise bookings that we have made - but as we did take out Insurance and nobody ever asked to see evidence of such insurance, it kind of faded into the background of our early cruising concerns.  What say you???? 

59 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Somebody in another Forum elsewhere posted that they have received an email from P&O UK regarding specific travel insurance requirements for a supposed upcoming P&O UK cruise . The email said "

You must have:
insurance with cruise cover, (do not assume you will have it - ask your insurer or check policy states this),
£2million medical cover,
covid 19 medical cover,
repatriation cover and a policy that covers all countries you are visiting if you don't have full world wide cover
It also states that you will be asked to provide and show insurance documentation before you can board or you will not be allowed to board for your holiday."

Seems to me I can recall this kind of thing in the past in the fine print of cruise bookings that we have made - but as we did take out Insurance and nobody ever asked to see evidence of such insurance, it kind of faded into the background of our early cruising concerns.  What say you???? 

I'd say P&O UK's lawyers have written these insurance requirements.  Most insurance policies won't include all these travel insurance requirements.  I remember a cc member couldn't cruise, pre covid, from Perth because he didn't have insurance cover.  

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

Not all travel policies include cruising. Never assume. Pays to check.

Several years ago we were on a Sea Princess cruise to PNG where a passenger had to be evacuated by helicopter. The woman's husband later told us that his travel insurance policy that he bought on line, had the clause stating that it did not apply on cruise ships. Oops.

As Lyndarra said, not all travel policies include cruising.

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Several years ago we were on a Sea Princess cruise to PNG where a passenger had to be evacuated by helicopter. The woman's husband later told us that his travel insurance policy that he bought on line, had the clause stating that it did not apply on cruise ships. Oops.

As Lyndarra said, not all travel policies include cruising.

Also repatriation coverage is not the same under all insurance policies.  You really need to read the fine print, not only particular exclusions, but general exclusions.  

(One example - Many people don't realise if they leave luggage in a car (locked in a boot out of sight) some policies won't cover the luggage if it is stolen.)  

Very concerned re what Insurance/Health requirements are going to be imposed by the cruise lines prior to embarkation.  To find cover that includes cruise travel and Covid is near on impossible and then throw in an over 80 with health issues.  Not game to book a cruise until all of this had been sorted. 

Hopefully vaccination will suffice in lieu of covid insurance??  Who knows ??  Will just have to sit patiently and wait!!

19 minutes ago, judithann423 said:

Very concerned re what Insurance/Health requirements are going to be imposed by the cruise lines prior to embarkation.  To find cover that includes cruise travel and Covid is near on impossible and then throw in an over 80 with health issues.  Not game to book a cruise until all of this had been sorted. 

Hopefully vaccination will suffice in lieu of covid insurance??  Who knows ??  Will just have to sit patiently and wait!!

I have the same concerns.

3 hours ago, judithann423 said:

I think they will be comprehensive, free credit travel insurance could be out the port hole. I hope people with current future cruise bookings have covered this.

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, judithann423 said:

I think they will be comprehensive, free credit travel insurance could be out the port hole.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I think they will be comprehensive, free credit travel insurance could be out the port hole.

If you are suggesting that the credit card companies will cancel the travel insurance retrospectively, I doubt it very much. Would that even be legal?

On 3/11/2021 at 7:21 AM, bazzaw said:

You must have:
£2million medical cover,
covid 19 medical cover,

On 3/11/2021 at 7:21 AM, bazzaw said:

You must have:
£2million medical cover,
covid 19 medical cover,

My wife and I did 5 cruises on P and O UK ships, arcadia, oriana and oriana. I recollectvon the booking page we had to insert insurance company and policy number, this was during years 2012 to 2019, half worldie, med, usa and canada and canary isles. Twice we were asked to produce insurance cerificate at check in.

Edited by NSWP

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

If you are suggesting that the credit card companies will cancel the travel insurance retrospectively, I doubt it very much. Would that even be legal?

Who knows. Ask them. I dont have a credit card anymore. But i would not travel  on the card if the policy did not cover cruise travel, covid cancellation or medical/repat re covid.

Edited by NSWP

Just now, NSWP said:

My wife and I did 5 cruises on P and O UK ships, arcadia, oriana and oriana. I recollectvon the booking page we had to insert insurance company and policy number, this was during years 2012 to 2019, half worldie, med, usa and canada and canary isles. Twice we asked to produce insurance cerificate at check in.

When I went on a trip to Antarctica with Quark, I was relying on the 'free' CC  travel insurance. I had to supply the tour operator, Quark, with details of my travel insurance - policy number etc. I printed off the details from the Visa CC insurance and Quark was happy.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

When I went on a trip to Antarctica with Quark, I was relying on the 'free' CC  travel insurance. I had to supply the tour operator, Quark, with details of my travel insurance - policy number etc. I printed off the details from the Visa CC insurance and Quark was happy.

Ah, but that was before the world changed with covid. We travelled for some years on our anz cc insurance, but one year i got declined because of pre existing conditions the6vwould not cover. So had to pay a couple grand with covermore via nrma.

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Who knows. Ask them. I dont have a credit card anymore. But i would not travel  on the card if the policy did not cover cruise travel, covid cancellation or medical/repat re covid.

Are you suggesting that the CC companies will not cover travel or that cruise companies will not accept the CC travel insurance?

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Ah, but that was before the world changed with covid. We travelled for some years on our anz cc insurance, but one year i got declined because of pre existing conditions the6vwould not cover. So had to pay a couple grand with covermore via nrma.

All travel insurance policies have limitations - age or health related. A person has to find one that suits their situation.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

All travel insurance policies have limitations - age or health related. A person has to find one that suits their situation.

Yes, but it is is getting  harder.

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Yes, but it is is getting  harder.

I agree.  The last time I applied for travel insurance with my regular travel insurance company, I couldn't get coverage because I was more than four months from the date of proposed travel.  As a result, I didn't continue with my ferry booking.  I had booked travel insurance with this company annually, with no health related claims!  

20 hours ago, judithann423 said:

20 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I have the same concerns.

One of the concerns about future cruising we have is regards to travel insurance. We would not risk our assets in the event of a catastrophic event & I'm not sure, even as basically healthy people in early 60's, we can secure travel insurance under the conditions and cost as BC (Before Covid).

Whilst we are conscious of the onboard experience going forward as a factor in when to cruise again, another concern is being stuck onboard or having to quarantine after cruise if there is a case onboard. This extends to my role as a business manager in  regards to staff taking, say a weeks leave to cruise, & then being unable to return on time due to a Covid event.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, judithann423 said:

In Singapore the cruise line provides Covid insurance which is mandatory to purchase with your cruise booking. 

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

In Singapore the cruise line provides Covid insurance which is mandatory to purchase with your cruise booking. 

I believe that was a Singapore  Govt requirement of the cruise line.

What I don't understand is that the cruise lines, we are Princess cruisers, have bought out their new programmes, which is great, and are taking new bookings hand over fist but there are not any guidelines re health and insurance requirements.

Surely by now our Government, like the Singapore Government, can start to look proactively at this situation and put some initiatives  in place.  Supposedly the vast majority of Australians will be vaccinated by later in the year so why isn't the Government and the cruise lines planning and advising???

How many people are going to 'caught' with having booked, used all of their FCC's etc., and not be able to meet the new rules of cruising.  I can't see the cruise lines being overly generous, which most have been, with cancellation fees and refunds.

This Industry is worth so much to our economy, both financially and with employment, but everything seems to be at a standstill ???

17 hours ago, NSWP said:

I believe that was a Singapore  Govt requirement of the cruise line.

Our Govt needs to do more to bring confidence back with regard to travel insurance.  Would be a good idea to reinstate the TA Fund which covers passengers of TAs who go bankrupt.  Otherwise, who is going to book cruise travel through a TA?  My last cruise was covered by the UK travel insurance policies.