Caribbean cruise for 70+

Looking for some advice. Since we have had two Med cruises canceled ( I know not a lot compared to some folks),

we are thinking about playing it safe and going for a Caribbean cruise in February of 2022. We have been to many

of the islands on the itinerary when we were young and did the beachy things but now as a young at heart 70+

couple will we find  things for us to enjoy?? We are not into hanging around a beach for many hours, ziplining etc

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Caribbean cruises are great for sitting on the deck, drinking mojitos, and doing nothing but relaxing.  The individual islands are no great shakes and are mostly all the same.  Having said that, I have been on some moderately fun excursions including a couple of cooking classes, rain forest trips, etc.

• Like 1

I agree with some that the ship *can* be the destination.  But some itineraries offer more for those who wish. A few Caribbean examples that worked for me: the submarine expedition in Aruba, Rio Dulce river tour in Guatemala (which I've done twice), Jardin de Balata (botanical garden) in Martinque. None of these require much physical effort. However, at this point just sitting on a deck of a Regent ship in a warm climate with a refreshing beverage in my hand sounds spectacular.
I'll also mention that February 2022 is perhaps being a bit optimistic about when cruising gets back to normal.

I have found that I like to do the sailing/snorkeling excursions but I never snorkel; I just enjoy the boat ride.  Need to make sure there is shade on the boat but they almost always having a shady spot to relax whilst others are in the water.

• Like 2

Haven’t cruised the Caribbean for a few years, but our experience has been that the W. Caribbean ports are too crowded, so we don’t go there anymore. The E. Caribbean is a bit less so. And the S. Caribbean (the ABC islands) aren’t crowded at all, because far fewer ships go there. We’ll return there someday, and we are in our 70s.

Thank you for all the input/ advice. Dolebludger, the itinerary is actually the E. Caribbean

( Dominica, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Barts etc). So even though the excursions are not very

exciting as has been mentioned, it will be relaxing and warm. At this point we will be happy

and appreciative for that.

• Like 1

I still like a bit of snorkeling, myself.  But botanical gardens can be nice, or just walking around a nice town or city (San Juan, for instance), open air markets, pretty neighbourhoods. Sometimes there's just lovely scenery to be seen from the ship, or on scenic drives.  From your list, we've only been to St. Bart's and I did a (not very good) snorkel trip, so can't comment.  

Many years ago we had one of our more memorable "shore" excursions on a Mariner cruise. At St Maarten's we took the America's Cup 12 metre yacht challenge. So fun, all the participants help sail an actual (albeit slightly modified) 12 metre America's cup boat in a race around a course. We were on Dennis Connor's Stars and Stripes and I was a "grinder". The boats and the settings are beautiful and the skippers make it a lot of fun.  It still comes up on Google so I guess it is still in business. Highly recommend if you have the opportunity. P.S. if you don't want to "work" you can just ride along.

Edited by labonnevie
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I have found that I like to do the sailing/snorkeling excursions but I never snorkel; I just enjoy the boat ride.  Need to make sure there is shade on the boat but they almost always having a shady spot to relax whilst others are in the water.

The rum punch doesn't detract from the experience either.

I have a question that seems silly, but I have forgotten the show times on the Explorer,

We are booked (keeping fingers crossed) on the March7 to 24, 2022 Splendor and thinking about when to book dinner times when ever they open up.

I know this is a jump in question but I'm sure someone will reply.

Re: snorkeling /excursions, etc. in the Caribbean...here is our way: Caribbean cruises are great for sitting on the deck, reading, drinking bloody Caesars, doing nothing but relaxing around the pool....Pre-dinner  Manhattens at a bar before enjoying an excellent meal which I haven't prepared.

Hopefully we will meet some minded fellow cruisers to enjoy the cruise with as well.

For Ray and myself, "The ship is our destination".

Cheers,

Pat

• Like 1

SnoBirdCruiser,

In the past, shows have been at 9:30.

There have been a couple of exceptions; every once in awhile they will bring on a local performer, and many times that performance will take place before the dining venues open.

The other exception to the 9:30 show is the night of the Crew Capers show. That too is before dinner, and if I remember correctly, is usually the next to the last night before disembarkation.

4 hours ago, SnoBirdCruiser said:

I have a question that seems silly, but I have forgotten the show times on the Explorer,

We are booked (keeping fingers crossed) on the March7 to 24, 2022 Splendor and thinking about when to book dinner times when ever they open up.

I know this is a jump in question but I'm sure someone will reply.

Re: snorkeling /excursions, etc. in the Caribbean...here is our way: Caribbean cruises are great for sitting on the deck, reading, drinking bloody Caesars, doing nothing but relaxing around the pool....Pre-dinner  Manhattens at a bar before enjoying an excellent meal which I haven't prepared.

Hopefully we will meet some minded fellow cruisers to enjoy the cruise with as well.

For Ray and myself, "The ship is our destination".

Cheers,

Pat

Generally the shows onboard begin at 9:30.  There are occasional exceptions when local talent comes onboard or for special extra shows.

On 3/14/2021 at 5:38 PM, labonnevie said:

Many years ago we had one of our more memorable "shore" excursions on a Mariner cruise. At St Maarten's we took the America's Cup 12 metre yacht challenge. So fun, all the participants help sail an actual (albeit slightly modified) 12 metre America's cup boat in a race around a course. We were on Dennis Connor's Stars and Stripes and I was a "grinder". The boats and the settings are beautiful and the skippers make it a lot of fun.  It still comes up on Google so I guess it is still in business. Highly recommend if you have the opportunity. P.S. if you don't want to "work" you can just ride along.

and then I would bet you lost the race :-)....we've done this particular excursion 3 times now and each time, we get the same boat, same skipper and each time we loose ...  And yet, we would do it again...so much fun (especially when you have no idea where you are in the race...). Great fun...highly recommended. 

There are plenty of trips/excursions 70+ can take... but then...what does that mean...70 is the new 60. What are you looking for ? Plenty of things to do...we always look for Catamaran trips (no, we are not 70+), and we love the feel of the ocean, the sail and the sunshine. If it stops somewhere to snorkel or whatever, you can decide if you like it or not. Highly recommended (and only because we just reserved it for the 4th time), is the Champagne and Lobster Cruise on Antigua. Always great experience, just sailing, landing on a beach, have some time off (if you want) and then the trip back, the breeze, etc. Food isn't bad either...but it's the whole experience, no matter what age. 

26 minutes ago, Gcto said:

There are plenty of trips/excursions 70+ can take... but then...what does that mean...70 is the new 60. What are you looking for ? Plenty of things to do...we always look for Catamaran trips (no, we are not 70+), and we love the feel of the ocean, the sail and the sunshine. If it stops somewhere to snorkel or whatever, you can decide if you like it or not. Highly recommended (and only because we just reserved it for the 4th time), is the Champagne and Lobster Cruise on Antigua. Always great experience, just sailing, landing on a beach, have some time off (if you want) and then the trip back, the breeze, etc. Food isn't bad either...but it's the whole experience, no matter what age. 

I agree!  We are booked on this excursion for a second time.  The first time we did it was not with Regent but I assume from the description, it is the same.  We usually try to do something different each time we visit an island but we're making an exception for this one.  Very enjoyable!