Travel Insurance cruise cover.

majortom10

5 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

I have travel insurance via my bank account with NatWest. Phoned the provider (UK Insurance) today to check on cover in line with P&O requirements of £2m medical and repatriation. 

Shocked that it’s only £10,000 for UK hols inc cruises but £10m for Non UK cruises. So check policies carefully!!

Good advice. Devils always in the detail.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

It’s the same insurer. Ive lodged a complaint with NatWest saying they are out of touch with market needs. 

I suspect that it may be standard across the industry, and a lot of people will be unaware.

Well done for highlighting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think P&O need to clarify this for the Summer UK cruises as their own recommended insurer via Holiday Extras states:-

Repatriation can be adminstered if, while on your trip abroad, the Chief Medical officer decides that it is medically necessary for you to return home either before or after your scheduled return date

Trip Abroad being the key words.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu UK said:

It’s the same insurer. Ive lodged a complaint with NatWest saying they are out of touch with market needs. 

I think they'd argue that it's very much in line with the needs of most people holidaying inside the UK, given that most medical issues involve no additional charges. 

It's always been this way with most travel policies to keep costs down, and the number of people needing more will be a very small percentage I'd guess.

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think they'd argue that it's very much in line with the needs of most people holidaying inside the UK, given that most medical issues involve no additional charges. 

It's always been this way with most travel policies to keep costs down, and the number of people needing more will be a very small percentage I'd guess.

I agree with what you say, but it won't help anybody turning up for a cruise at Southampton and falling foul of P&O requirement for £2,000,000 of medical and repatriation cover. Clarification is needed from P&O as to whether their new requirement applies to UK cruises to nowhere.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jmcd1969 said:

I think P&O need to clarify this for the Summer UK cruises as their own recommended insurer via Holiday Extras states:-

Repatriation can be adminstered if, while on your trip abroad, the Chief Medical officer decides that it is medically necessary for you to return home either before or after your scheduled return date

Trip Abroad being the key words.

You are correct. I’ve read the policy wording from the link via the P&O website. Abroad excludes treatment in your home area - the UK. Also the policy is only £200k for repatriation. P&O need to resolve this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu UK said:

You are correct. I’ve read the policy wording from the link via the P&O website. Abroad excludes treatment in your home area - the UK. Also the policy is only £200k for repatriation. P&O need to resolve this. 

Hopefully they will, but aren't these cruises technically leaving the UK?  They're not staying within UK coastal waters are they, and if not there could be substantial medical costs which these policies would presumably cover.

Certainly clarification needed on both points though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Hopefully they will, but aren't these cruises technically leaving the UK?  They're not staying within UK coastal waters are they, and if not there could be substantial medical costs which these policies would presumably cover.

Certainly clarification needed on both points though.

Could make for interesting negotiations with the insurer if someone needed evac, "Now then sir/madam was the ship 11.9 or 12.1 miles from the coast when you were evacuated"

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Could make for interesting negotiations with the insurer if someone needed evac, "Now then sir/madam was the ship 11.9 or 12.1 miles from the coast when you were evacuated"

Quite.  I'd want that clarified in advance, and you can begin to see P&O's point!

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Quite.  I'd want that clarified in advance, and you can begin to see P&O's point!

Although not quite the same as this issue, I had already raised my concerns in an e-mail, that they needed much more clarity about which documents needed to be produced for inspection on boarding, since the requirements P&O wanted were not always detailed in the outline policy documents, and the full policy wording document often ran to dozens of pages.

As usual they totally ignored my e-mail and re-printed almost word for word the rather flawed information that I had been querying in the first place. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

The cruises this summer are not foreign holidays so although P&O will insist on millions of cover for all those pesky foreign treatments and having to fly you back to the UK etc BUT you will not have left the UK and if a helivac is required it will take you to a NHS hospital who after treatment will get you home.

Just a bit confused

I think i remember my annual policy restricted the cover for UK holidays to more than a certain number of nights away from home

Most of Iona's cruises are around the Channel Islands and Northern French coast.  So its very possible that a medical emergency might be medi vacced to France or Jersey.

19 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

A good point, but for instance, if on Iona heading for the Channel Isles (which are not UK) and the French Coast, is a ship considered outside the UK if heading out of UK waters.  If not, could that mean you would not be insured on any cruise if it had not left, or is heading back into UK waters. 

In an airport, you leave the UK when going through security and do not re enter the UK untill you have negotiated that queue for passport control, so is there s UK border within a port area?

Just did a quick google and a single trip cover quote from the post office for a UK holiday of 7 days with cruise specified and my medical conditions was just less than £39 for the basic version. It had £2 million medical expenses etc etc.

so it seems possible to get cover which specifically covers the UK and cruising

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1