Would You Choose Cunard Now?

Tom504

Assuming Covid is behind all of us, would you choose Cunard now? I am speaking to the group of people who have had significant experience with the Cunard ships, and assuming (for the sake of this conversation) that we are post-Covid and 'things are as they were.' That said, my interest is in trying to understand Cunard, which I have admittedly not tried. We have very good friends who sail Cunard often, usually in Britannia Club, and can't get enough of the line, regardless of ship. My wife and I, on the other hand, are relatively new to cruising (four sailings only) but all of these have been on Seabourn, with two more Seabourn sailings booked in 2022. 

I've looked at review videos and listened to various comments but many of these are from some time ago. Some opine that Cunard has changed in some fundamental ways and others feel that the line remains committed to the same values. Of course, the industry as a whole has many 'product lines' and so this thread is absolutely not meant to criticize Cunard as much as to ask where people are 'at' just now, which is March, 2021, as they imagine cruising again, likely in 2022. 

To be candid, I don't own and have never owned a tuxedo; my professions before retirement did not suggest or require dressing up on a daily basis. Of course, I own fine suits and sport coats, and can look nice when this is important. Smart casual, variously defined, is probably more my style. When I looked at the 'dress code' for a Cunard sailing, I was impressed by their various photos of what they mean by this or that. And it would be fun to go out and buy a tuxedo! But my wife tells me that my 'cargo style' shorts won't cut it. 

From the reviews, I felt it odd that wine would not be served as part of a meal. That even in the Grill Suites, one would be charged for a glass or bottle of wine. Or a cocktail. The notion of sitting at a table with others and drinking wine that is 'only ours' feels different; the notion of having to sign a chit each and every time I want a drink by the pool, or a latte during a snack period in the afternoon, or a beer as I chat with someone at a bar. 

With ultra-luxury products (Regent, Seabourn, Silversea), all with different draws (Regent packages many shore excursions and air; Silversea offers decent internet; Seabourn and its caviar), it may be that Cunard will always be oriented to formality and dancing and the overall experience. Though, I have to say, even the Seabourn shows seem oriented to people in their 80's. 

So, would you choose Cunard now? And if so, why? That is, what are the values you place most high in your decision? Price? Comfort? Formality vs. casualness? I'm sure there are other values as well. 

Tom504,

The title of your post is "Would You Choose Cunard Now" but when I read the body of your post it seems like you are asking "should I (Tom504) choose Cunard now", a very subjective question. 

My wife and I love Cunard. It suites our style and interest at this point in our unique lives. I took a look at your profile and saw that you list your interest as "Nuanced discussions, religion, photography, psychology." I'm not exactly sure what a nuanced discussion is but some the most enjoyable conversations I have ever had have been on the QM2. As a group, the passengers we have met  are very interesting, have unique and exciting backgrounds and, to my simple mind, seem quite brilliant folks. As to religion, I would recommend avoiding that as a conversation topic regardless of the cruise line. As a photographer, Cunard will certainly get you to the venues but its up to you to get the shot. So that leaves psychology. My wife has her undergraduate degree in psychology and a masters in social work. I like to think that I have kept her skills finely honed these past 45 years. I once asked her what makes people crazy. She told me that, based on her experience, its either too much religion or not enough sex, or some combination there of, but I digress. Anyway, she seems to enjoy Cunard very much. So at first pass, I would say to you, yes, choose Cunard. However, in your comments above, it seems that you may not enjoy the formality and definitely have an issue with alcohol not being included, at least at meals. I would recommend that you consider the Cunard drink package but I personally don't think it is a very good deal, and I'm a pretty substantial drinker.  So Tom504, maybe Cunard is not for you which is disappointing because I wish everyone could experience the wonderful times we have had with Cunard. But if you do decide to try Cunard, I say, go all in. Wear the tux, buy wine for the table and please let us know how it goes. 

Jack

• Like 3

Yes, we will book Cunard again in a heartbeat once transatlantic crossings resume and there is some level of comfort that 'things are as they were' or at least approximately so. Here are my thoughts about what we value the most about Cunard.

1) Without trying to sound cheap, our price point is approximately $200-$250 per person per night in a balcony cabin. Cunard delivers value for us at that price point in their Britannia grade accommodations. Whereas we might aspire to the likes of all-inclusive ultra-luxury lines such as Seabourn (or the Grills on Cunard for that matter), that's far beyond what we are looking to spend on a cruise.

2) Cunard is the only line that does regular transatlantic crossings and the only line with a ship the likes of the incomparable Queen Mary 2. Our preferred voyage has become a round trip crossing from New York on QM2. That's a minimum of fourteen wonderful care-free days at sea, occasionally with an add-on voyage such as a week to Scandinavia for a little variety.

3) Cunard delivers an excellent onboard enrichment program, especially with their Insights lecture program on sea days.

4) Cunard offers a wide range of musical entertainment throughout the ship. Of particular interest to us are their abundant classical music offerings, typically with performances by string quartets, harpists, classical pianists, and/or classical guitarists.

4) We appreciate the formality of Cunard, just about the only line left that attempts to maintain a high level of formality.

I could go on with more about what has endeared us to Cunard in general and QM2 crossings in particular, but I'll leave it at that for now as some of the main points.

• Like 11

Weird question, sounds like something a research person would ask.  If you like Seabourn (4x) and prefer all-inclusive why would YOU want to go on Cunard?  I sail Crystal,  but also like Cunard QM2 - and not happy my August transatlantic has been cancelled thanks to COVID.  However I recognize that when I sail on Cunard I’m not getting Crystal quality and inclusiveness.   

• Like 4

Love love love Cunard and can't wait to be back on board.  We've always requested a table for 8 in the MDR in an evening and have learned so much from the people we've sat with, eg didn't know Canada had a wine industry, but we do now or that inmates in one of the UK's toughest mens' prisons enjoy Shakespeare with Romeo and Juliet as their favourite, closely followed by the sonnets!!!  I could go on more just on this subject alone.

The guest speakers are usually excellent with speakers from all professions and backgrounds.  Never ever thought I'd attend a talk on astrophysics (!) but it was absolutely fascinating.

Re wine.  You can take your own wine on board to either drink in your cabin or take into the dining room where you will pay corkage.

Dress attire.  If you really don't want to invest in a tuxedo you could hire one, or perhaps wear a dark suit, fancy shirt and bowtie.  

Sometimes you have to try a thing to see if you like it.  Yes, a cruise is an expensive 'thing' if you don't care for it, but at least you will have given it a try.

• Like 4

Your biggest worry seems to be about wine and drinks and signing chits.

Firstly in grills you will get a table for two if you wanr one, but if you decide to share a table in grills then the sommeliers handle the issue of each couple or individual having their own bottles seamlessly.  There is some advantage in not being all inclusive,  it gives you a much wider choice of wine. My one indulgence on a cruise apart from the cruise itself is wine but rarely drink in the day. I have not sailed Seabourn but reading reviews and experience elsewhere, the included wines on upmarket cruise lines are pleasant,  but if you want to indulge you end up buying your own and paying twice.

Signing chits for the odd daytime drink is no problem and service in grills lounge and deck is very good. The grills decks on QV and QE are much more spacious than  QM. 

Will we sail on Cunard again yes are booked on two both returning from South Africa , also on other lines definitely  yes,  are booked on Saga , and looking at Silversea it's  between them and Cunard for Japan and Alaska in 2023. If a Cunard intinerary suits you go for it.

• Like 1

Absolutely.

We love Cunard.

Sailing with Cunard is a very special experience.

You mentioned not owning a tux... you don’t have to have one to feel comfortable (and well dressed) on the beautiful ship after 6:00.

My husband looks great in a suit, but he is not a tuxedo guy... So for our Cunard voyage my husband brought his dark suit, ties, bow ties, and interesting pocket squares for the “gala” nights- and he looked fabulous. Not only that, there were plenty of men in dark suits on the formal evenings. Yes, there are also plenty of tuxedos... just know that the dress code also includes a dark suit for those evenings.

We also loved the “smart” attire evenings!

The dress code is not stifling or stuffy in the least- it just makes the ship and experience so lovely after 6:00.

You spoke of the drinks on board. I would prefer the experience to have wine with meals included as well... but it does not.

We did not choose to purchase a drinks package... instead opting for purchasing our drinks individually. That worked out fine in the end. 

For me... why I adore Cunard...

I love Cunard’s itineraries- they are so well thought out and fabulous

I love their lectures and enrichment programs on board

I love the beauty of the ships

I love the history of Cunard

I love how peaceful of an experience it is

• Like 5

One more point, since the OP is shown to be in the US: Grills bookings from the US over the past few years have included a beverage package (drinks less than $12, as I recall), which definitely provides wine with dinner as well as drinks elsewhere and whenever. The US site is till offering that for the future bookings I have investigated. 

Our experience with that package was that one signed a chit (no charges) in the restaurant on the first night, then did not have to do so again. If we had the same server more than once in the Grills lounge, we never had to sign after the first time. (Another reason I like Cunard, people know who you are and remember. We had a QM2 cabin steward remember us - names AND our former cabin number - when we were back on board two years later.) Other bars or venues on board, we signed a chit each time we ordered a drink.

In answer to the question, though, my answer is why would I not choose Cunard now (or at least in the proposed theoretical time when all is as it was - which I am not convinced will occur ever)? If I loved them before, for all the reasons stated well by others above, why would it be different?

If the real question is whether you would like Cunard, how would we know? Best we can do is point to the numerous previous threads about our preferences. Under the stated assumption of all being as it was in the before times, there is nothing that would have changed those opinions.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much. Wonderful responses. The reason for the question was stated, but the non-stated reason was we have some very well-cruised friends who like Cunard and are suggesting we join them for what would amount to a 25 day cruise. As we reflect on this, it feels like too long a cruise with a line we have not yet experienced first hand — I think a nice 7-10 day run would make more sense. 

I am extroverted and my wife is the opposite. On the few cruises we have undertaken, I often met people who had been on dozens of cruises over the years, but in the end settled on one or two lines for the most part. Many of these folk settled on Seabourn for its easy, smart-casual, country club-chic, great food, suites, relatively small size (450-600 passengers), intimate feel, and all-inclusivity with regard alcohol and coffee and tea. So my goal here has been to be forthright and explain what I don’t know so as to seek the opinions of others. Nothing more or less. 

I appreciate the comments of all. Bluemarble places a value on the price point. Jack says it’s subjective; but of course. It is always subjective. I can’t respond to NJCruiserBoy since he didn’t really respond other than showing agitation at being asked a question; better not to answer if you have no thoughts. Nature lover girl  and others speak of the lectures, the style, the formality, the flexibility of a suit vs. a tuxedo, all very helpful; the Cunard website says one thing, but to hear from fellow travelers is the best way to discern. Re Windsurfboy,  I think it’s disingenuous to point to a question re alcohol; most people on vacation drink more alcohol (if they drink at all) than in their normal lives.  

All of these disparate comments have helped me fill in the blanks. I wish Seabourn had more lectures and my wife wishes they had a dedicated cinema. I wish they had a larger gym and my wife wishes they had a deck one could walk around on sea days. The Cunard daily activities on past sailings included water coloring, bridge classes, yoga, dart contests, and many other ways to spend time or be enriched. I will look to try one of these ships in the future, so again thanks to all. 

• Like 1

I was trying to help, you said you were happy to buy a TUX so you were happy with dress code so not a worry , other worry was not about how much you drink but about everyone having different wine and signing chits,  that was the question I answered . If you think that disengenious then that's up to you.

Edited by Windsurfboy

25 nights to try out a new cruise line after cruising only on a Luxury line , is risky with all your concerns .

Why not try a shorter cruise on Cunard before you sail with your friends on that 25 nighter ?
Book them both then cancel the 25 nighter if not happy.

Edited by MCC retired
  • Like 1

I've only cruised - the first time was 14 days on QE to PNG from Sydney. We chose the itinerary and then looked at the options. Chose Cunard because we are ballroom dancers.  It also was only marginally more expensive than Princess and seemed to offer fewer (other people's) kids and larger public spaces. 

We then cruised a local expedition ship (because pandemic) - that was totally different - only 50 pax and far more  regimented  (because you don't want to miss the zodiacs leaving) - and of course formal was 3 layers of merino not 2 LOL> 

We'll cruise Cunard again (in fact we have a booking through the Panama canal hopefully for 2022) because we liked it. We liked the meeting people at the same table each night (we won't cruise  until they allow strangers to dine again), we liked the option of the buffet. We liked the option of bringing our own wine on board, and we liked being able to choose our own drinks at dinner. Signing for drinks was easy   - done at the end of the meal in the MDR, or as you ordered elsewhere.  Pretty much the same as charging back to your room anywhere in the  world. 

The lecturers were probably the unexpected highlight for me - the pilot for  the barrier reef did a number of really interesting talks.  The dancing was as  good as I expected, the music around the other venues was unexpected and nice too. 

We normally dress very informally, so had to take my partner to a shop and buy a dark suit and a sports jacket before the cruise. Its really easy you have some ties and some shirts - mix and match.  I don't see why men think its such a big deal. Some of the women were dressed to the nines - but  I wasn't the only one wearing a $10  sparkly top from a cheap chain over a  black long dance skirt. 

For me its a way of travelling - so Im far more interested in the itinerary than the ship. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Tom504 said:

All of these disparate comments have helped me fill in the blanks. I wish Seabourn had more lectures and my wife wishes they had a dedicated cinema. I wish they had a larger gym and my wife wishes they had a deck one could walk around on sea days. The Cunard daily activities on past sailings included water coloring, bridge classes, yoga, dart contests, and many other ways to spend time or be enriched. I will look to try one of these ships in the future, so again thanks to all. 

It sounds like you’re looking for Crystal, for many of the same reasons why I love sailing on them.   The ships have a proper wrap-around promenade deck, a dedicated cinema, a huge array of not only enrichment activities (the most I have ever seen on any luxury ship) but also after-dinner entertainment options and best of all the food and service are extraordinary.   

I am now waiting patiently for Cunard´s return. I took two cruises in 2020 ( and had three canceled) - totaly unexpected and just to escape for few days- TUI´s Mein Schiff 1 and 2. Fabolous days at see- one 4 one 7 nighter- no excursions. Sailing only at may. 40% capacity. Great experience and very relaxing. BUT not to compare with Cunard- and all those Germans where just a bit to much- in other words i missed the international flair.

All things why Cunard has my loyality are already mentioned- so no need to repeat them. For me the ships- the Cunarders and esp. QM2 are the destination. I traveled the world and have seen many wonderful places. So now it´s more the relaxation and the traditional experience Cunard delievers, that I seek.

What I avoid like the plaque are cruises/voyages - whichever name one prefers- which cram 6 port days in a 7 night voyage.

The part of the world I have yet to visist is Australia and that will be covered in the World Cruise ( well part of the World cruise- since I am still busy at work. LOL)  am about to book. On board QM2- of coursre.

• Like 1

I agree with prior posters that joining your friends for a 25 day voyage doesn't sound terribly wise. However, based on what you've written, if you can keep an open mind that it will be different than Seabourn (and sans included beverages), you might find trying a crossing Cunard a treat. The lectures and enrichment programs, especially on the crossing, are fantastic. I've always met interesting people onboard, yet the ship is big enough that there are multitudes of places to get away, for an introvert. The promenade deck is wonderful for walking. Dressing for dinner in a dark suit for you, and separates for your wife, it does make the trip special though it does increase the packing list. However, even when I've been on a mass market line, I still dress differently for dinner than I do for the daytime - so perhaps it isn't that much of a stretch? Your cargo shorts will be just fine during the day, temperature permitting. The crossing really is very special if you can handle no ports of call. 

Talking of taking a longish cruise on a cruise line you've never sailed on before reminds me of a couple we met on the Queen Elizabeth In 2018.  It was their first cruise and they were doing a World Cruise!!  I did ask him what they would do if they hated it and got a shrug of the shoulders as a response.

I'd love to know how it worked out for them .

We like to cruise Cunard because it’s different from other cruise lines. We like to dance, and they have the best dance floors and music. Most of the American cruise lines have small nightclub-type floors nowadays.

However one misconception in your original post… When we travel in Princess or Queen‘s Grille suites, we get a couple of perks, one of which is a drinks package including drinks under $12.  We have no trouble finding lots of drinks in that price range, as well as very good wine. We also have bought bottles of wine that are higher priced, but it’s a generous drink package included in our fare. I am under the impression that US fares and British fares are not necessarily quoted the same way.  Someone can correct me if I’m wrong…

Regarding the dress code, not all men wear tuxes, but most people dress very nicely for dinner and in the grilles, every man has a blazer, at minimum because the grilles/suites dining rooms are really like fine dining.   Most men wear a suit or tux on the formal evenings.

12 hours ago, njpln said:

We like to cruise Cunard because it’s different from other cruise lines. We like to dance, and they have the best dance floors and music. Most of the American cruise lines have small nightclub-type floors nowadays.

However one misconception in your original post… When we travel in Princess or Queen‘s Grille suites, we get a couple of perks, one of which is a drinks package including drinks under $12.  We have no trouble finding lots of drinks in that price range, as well as very good wine. We also have bought bottles of wine that are higher priced, but it’s a generous drink package included in our fare. I am under the impression that US fares and British fares are not necessarily quoted the same way.  Someone can correct me if I’m wrong…

Regarding the dress code, not all men wear tuxes, but most people dress very nicely for dinner and in the grilles, every man has a blazer, at minimum because the grilles/suites dining rooms are really like fine dining.   Most men wear a suit or tux on the formal evenings.

In the UK we never or very rarely that I have never seen it that QG/PG passengers get a free drinks package included in the price they charge an extra $79-95 pppd.

25 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

In the UK we never or very rarely that I have never seen it that QG/PG passengers get a free drinks package included in the price they charge an extra $79-95 pppd.

That’s what I thought.  We always get it included, but I’m guessing it’s just part of our fare!  (There’s no such thing as a free lunch!)

Maybe Cunard feels the US cruisers expect it and just up the fare to capture the cost.  I feel bad for the non-drinkers, they aren’t getting their money’s worth.  We have no problem.  😉 

On 3/20/2021 at 11:07 PM, bluemarble said:

Yes, we will book Cunard again in a heartbeat once transatlantic crossings resume and there is some level of comfort that 'things are as they were' or at least approximately so. Here are my thoughts about what we value the most about Cunard.

1) Without trying to sound cheap, our price point is approximately $200-$250 per person per night in a balcony cabin. Cunard delivers value for us at that price point in their Britannia grade accommodations. Whereas we might aspire to the likes of all-inclusive ultra-luxury lines such as Seabourn (or the Grills on Cunard for that matter), that's far beyond what we are looking to spend on a cruise.

2) Cunard is the only line that does regular transatlantic crossings and the only line with a ship the likes of the incomparable Queen Mary 2. Our preferred voyage has become a round trip crossing from New York on QM2. That's a minimum of fourteen wonderful care-free days at sea, occasionally with an add-on voyage such as a week to Scandinavia for a little variety.

3) Cunard delivers an excellent onboard enrichment program, especially with their Insights lecture program on sea days.

4) Cunard offers a wide range of musical entertainment throughout the ship. Of particular interest to us are their abundant classical music offerings, typically with performances by string quartets, harpists, classical pianists, and/or classical guitarists.

4) We appreciate the formality of Cunard, just about the only line left that attempts to maintain a high level of formality.

I could go on with more about what has endeared us to Cunard in general and QM2 crossings in particular, but I'll leave it at that for now as some of the main points.

Ditto bluemarble...