CLIA vs CDC

18 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Millions.....I think you meant to say....Millions

I'm not sure we have millions infected at one time anymore in the US.  We are averaging about 60,000 new positives per day and CDC (I shall try to refrain from calling them names this time) says a person is no longer able to transmit the virus after 10 days, so rough math US has about 600,000 infectious people at a time.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:13 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

You really think the CDC will lift the CSO before it expires?  Current administration is all about 2 masks even after vaccines and maybe a small gathering outside with family on July 4th. 

M8

There is more leniency than small gathering outside.......

When you've been fully vaccinated

30 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

There is more leniency than small gathering outside.......

When you've been fully vaccinated

I’m going by the words of our President. He said he was hopeful a small group of family to could meet outdoors on 4th of July for a BBQ.  Did I quote him wrong?

It was either Thursday or Friday that the Director of the CDC was asked about masks. She recommended/suggested two masks. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The businesses here want these events but not the majority of voters.

What a GREAT example of the perils of a pure Democracy !!  If you are in a system that is purely democratic and the majority of the people want things one way and the minority wants it another way, the majority rules !  The minority has 3 choices - live with, change some peoples' minds or leave.

Since I am libertarian, I think the people of Key West (or Daytona) should be able to do whatever they want to.  Things change.  If they change too much in one direction or another, it's time to go.  That is why I am no longer a Virginia resident and choose to now reside in Florida !  What a great country !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m going by the words of our President. He said he was hopeful a small group of family to could meet outdoors on 4th of July for a BBQ.  Did I quote him wrong?

It was either Thursday or Friday that the Director of the CDC was asked about masks. She recommended/suggested two masks. 

M8

I do believe I heard Biden say just that a couple of weeks ago. I will still go with what the CDC has in writing on their website. I like that better. 🙂

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

Did the CDC director suggest two masks for people who have been vaccinated gathering with other people who have been vaccinated? Personally, I didn't hear her make that statement so just wondering in what scenario(s) was she addressing?

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

Did the CDC director suggest two masks for people who have been vaccinated gathering with other people who have been vaccinated? Personally, I didn't hear her make that statement so just wondering in what scenario(s) was she addressing?

She was asked a question something to the effect were two masks necessary. She suggested everyone should wear two masks. I assume everyone includes those vaccinated. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

9 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m on the fence. It was by vote of those in Monroe County and Key West. However, what’s to stop them from voting to restrict Key West or Monroe County to residents only?  There are many Conchs who would just assume have the Keys to themselves. 

I see it here in Daytona. The people (demographics) have changed. The current Mayor and people of Daytona would like nothing better than to rid themselves of many of the events that have been happening here for years. Speed Weeks, Bikeweek, Spring Break, Truck Fest, Jeep Fest, and so on. The locals no longer want them here.

M8

Driving on the beach😉

• Like 1

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yea. I don’t know where at that comes from. The ones I know are much younger than me. 

Most of the surveys I've seen were done on behalf of organizations with a common agenda😉

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2021 at 10:50 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m on the fence. It was by vote of those in Monroe County and Key West. However, what’s to stop them from voting to restrict Key West or Monroe County to residents only?  There are many Conchs who would just assume have the Keys to themselves. 

I see it here in Daytona. The people (demographics) have changed. The current Mayor and people of Daytona would like nothing better than to rid themselves of many of the events that have been happening here for years. Speed Weeks, Bikeweek, Spring Break, Truck Fest, Jeep Fest, and so on. The locals no longer want them here.

M8

My guess is because in the beginning they were probably smaller and not so out of control like they are today.

• 10 months later...

I mean... it's pretty obvious the CDC's policy for cruise lines has always been written by a committee of bureaucrats, months prior to it being published, completely independent of the rest of CDC policy, by people who's primary concern is covering their own backside, not making reasonable, functionable policy decisions.

The CDC probably hopes the cruise lines opt out. They stepped in and shut down cruising when it was making headlines and there was a lot of uncertainty around the pandemic. But by doing so, they backed themselves into a corner where if something goes wrong now, they bear responsibility. No one there will lose their job if they destroy a billion dollar industry and put tens of thousands out of work; but they will lose their job if an outbreak on a ship makes big enough headlines. So they keep making ridiculous, unreasonable policy. Now, they are hoping cruise lines now opt out of the program, so they are absolved of responsibility if something goes wrong.  

The faster the cruise lines opt out, the better.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

The faster the cruise lines opt out, the better.

Unfortunately its not.  Opting out means they have to follow Federal government guidelines that class them as general transportation and mask must be worn indoors at all times.

Here's a quote from chengkp75 on another thread

"Apparently, the CDC has informed cruise line executives that if they opt out of the voluntary CSO program, by eliminating mask mandates, they will fall into the category of "general transportation", which is covered by an Executive Order, in place since last February, that covers all ships, of all types, of all nations, that wish to enter the US.  While this order does not require testing or vaccination, and specifically says it does not take into account the vaccination status, it does require masks at all times when indoors (except in cabin).

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/masks/mask-travel-guidance.html#:~:text=All people%2C including workers and,in the United States and

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Assistant-Commandant-for-Prevention-Policy-CG-5P/Inspections-Compliance-CG-5PC-/Commercial-Vessel-Compliance/CDC-Mask-Order-Frequently-Asked-Questions/

As the USCG is tasked with granting clearance to vessels to enter the US, they will be applying this order to all cruise ships that are not following the voluntary CSO."

18 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not yet.

Per CDC: "Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible."

But coming soon to a cruise ship near you...😷

Edited by orville99

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Unfortunately its not.  Opting out means they have to follow Federal government guidelines that class them as general transportation and mask must be worn indoors at all times.

Here's a quote from chengkp75 on another thread

The same guy who preached in a dozen or so now deleted threads that there was no possible way for Florida to win it's case against the CDC? Yeah, he's not a great source.

The public transportation mask mandate would apply to cruise lines if they opt out; however that expires on March 18th, and the likelihood of it being extended is fairly low. If it is, the cruise lines can just take the CDC to court and win fairly easily, just like Florida did.

I find it pretty funny that you'd expect less confusing protocols from the CDC... I mean, their current guidance on mask wearing and testing is crystal clear and has been so steady; not confusing AT ALL. The CDC create convoluted and unnecessary protocols? Noooo, not them... (Y'all...my eyes cannot roll hard enough.  PLEASE read the sarcasm in this post.)

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

this order does not require testing or vaccination, and specifically says it does not take into account the vaccination status, it does require masks at all times when indoors (except in cabin) 

Actually, this doesn't sound so bad !  No vax requirements, no testing....just masks...  Ok

1 hour ago, joetop2467 said:

I agree with Smokeybandit. The cruise lines all need to band together and sue CDC.  They are ridiculous.  They haven’t gotten anything right for two years.

For what, doing their job?? Their job is public health, not cruise line financial results.

• Haha 2