Ready to Sail? Will you exercise your voice?

Sam.Seattle

Will you commit to writing your elected officials today supporting US Ports to reopen July 2021?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Will you commit to writing your elected officials today supporting US Ports to reopen July 2021?

• YES! I support US Ports opening in July 2021
    • NO! Us Ports should remain closed

Action Center (votervoice.net)

The cruise industry would have a more powerful voice if they registered the ships in the USA and paid taxes here. With that being said, I feel terrible about all the lost jobs on ships. The voice that needs to support re-opening cruising is yours' and ports employees around the county and the associated travel industries that are suffering. At the end of the day, this has become a political issue. I can sit on an airplane for hours and still can not board a ship.  This is really hard for me understand.  Show me the science. 

Will you speak up?  Please see attached link and consider contacting your elected officials.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

Unfortunately for all of us in every country, the politicians, rather than the scientists, are making the decisions. In Canada, we are seeing the third wave, which consists of several more dangerous variants. Yet, some politicians are opening up more and more, so, of course, the cases are rising more and more. Like a war, we have to attack this enemy with every means in our power if we ever want to get rid of it.

• Like 4

26-members have voted.  59.26% responded they support opening U.S. Cruise Ports

I look forward to more Cruise Critic members sharing their position and consider raising their voice. To use the link, you will need a valid U.S. address to notify your elected officials.

https://www.votervoice.net/CLIA/Campaigns/82797/Respond?vvsn=BAAAAArDBCtNUAAvD8X7BAA

Cheers!

🍹

image.png.44a464d7018adb97ddcc64eeea0efba5.png

Edited by Sam.Seattle
added public poll results

I'm saying "no", but only for the date.  If you had, instead, used September instead of July, I would've said yes.  The US needs to get the vast majority of the population vaccinated and that won't happen by July.  By September, most likely, as long as people realize that it's safe.  And it IS safe.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sam.Seattle said:

26-members have voted.  59.26% responded they support opening U.S. Cruise Ports

I look forward to more Cruise Critic members sharing their position and consider raising their voice. To use the link, you will need a valid U.S. address to notify your elected officials.

https://www.votervoice.net/CLIA/Campaigns/82797/Respond?vvsn=BAAAAArDBCtNUAAvD8X7BAA

Cheers!

🍹

image.png.44a464d7018adb97ddcc64eeea0efba5.png

Interesting that you only posted the respondents voting "No".  Why did you not also post those voting "Yes".  Or better yet, why post this at all?  Everyone can see the poll results and those who voted by clicking on the poll.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I added my 2 cents about restarting, but that doesn't include forcing the cruise lines to register their ships here. A couple of reasons why. !. It would make cruising unaffordable to the average person. 2> Where are you going to find enough Americans to work on a cruise ship?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Interesting that you only posted the respondents voting "No".  Why did you not also post those voting "Yes".  Or better yet, why post this at all?  Everyone can see the poll results and those who voted by clicking on the poll.

Here are the Yes votes.  As you noted, just click on the # of votes on the right side of the poll and you can see who voted.  I posted this because I wanted to.  Why have you not shared your postion?

image.png.3b6ae267e8a1a4fdf730d98bfb145b94.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Here are the Yes votes.  As you noted, just click on the # of votes on the right side of the poll and you can see who voted.  I posted this because I wanted to.  Why have you not shared your postion?

image.png.3b6ae267e8a1a4fdf730d98bfb145b94.png

Thanks for posting the "Yes" votes.   I think your poll is far too limited in scope and does not take into account all of the factors that have to be considered.  It seems that the demand is that ports open in July, but there has been nothing to propose how that would be done.  Open the ports without the CSO in place?  That's not going to happen.   What are the solutions that have been offered by the cruise lines as to how to accomplish reopening.  What I have seen is that they just believe that the CSO is "unworkable".  What does that mean?  Are they committing to only vaccinated cruisers leaving the US?  They have not all done that.  What about other health protocols.  Do they all remain in place or are we just opening the doors and setting sail, the pandemic be damned?

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 8

29 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm saying yes as long as the CDC comes out and says everyone on the ship has to be vaccinated.

Ken,

I agree with you!

And, I would add the everybody includes the kiddos too.

Cheers!

🍸

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

I agree with harkinmr.  There should be a third option of "If not July, then when?".

Agree!  Maybe someone will start a new thread and ask your specific question.

Edited by Sam.Seattle
corrected "you" to "your"
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, upwarduk said:

There should also be another option for those of us who don’t reside in USA.

We also cruise.

Anyone from any country can vote in the CC Poll I created.  Feel free to express your position.

23 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

The cruise industry would have a more powerful voice if they registered the ships in the USA and paid taxes here. With that being said, I feel terrible about all the lost jobs on ships. The voice that needs to support re-opening cruising is yours' and ports employees around the county and the associated travel industries that are suffering. At the end of the day, this has become a political issue. I can sit on an airplane for hours and still can not board a ship.  This is really hard for me understand.  Show me the science. 

Will you speak up?  Please see attached link and consider contacting your elected officials.

Like it or not, this is not a political issue, to oversimply it, you're either pro-doctor or pro-business.  I personally know some on the right folks (one who originally thought it was a hoax until he was hospitalized) who are pro-doctor and some on the left folks who are pro-business.

Right or wrong (opinions will vary) FL doesn't want to lose its cruise home status to islands in the Caribbean.

Cruise companies pay taxes despite not being not being flagged here.  Port taxes, income tax for non-ship crew, supply tax while in port and have to pay tax on them.  In the U.S., in 2019, Carnival Corp. paid $71 million in taxes on $3.06 billion in income. In the same year, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. paid $25.5 million in taxes on $1.8 billion in income, and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings paid $18.9 million in taxes on more than $911 million in income.

• Like 1

I’d personally I don’t see how in March, we can be calling for US ports to be opened for cruising  by a set time in July. We are still experiencing a Pandemic and we (and Europe) have shown that stepping away from the precautions that have been affective just give us another spike and so much for recovering. 

Yes, I have a cruise set for Nov ‘21 and yes, ports ‘could’ open in July or a bit later, but I really don’t see how that call can be made yet. And this isn’t Pro-Dr Vs Pro-Business, this is Pro-people. And no, if you disagree with me, that doesn’t make you anti-people, just a different view and wishful thinking based on maybe it will continue to get better. Didn’t work in countries that were doing better than the US and decided to relax it all. 

enough. It’s nice to talk about, but as so many discussions during this Pandemic, well above my pay grade. I hesitate to listen to businesses and to although me may call certain groups ‘trade organizations’ representing the cruise industry, that organization is a lobbying group paid to get cruising back, so their focus is on that. They can present some good ideas, but their focus isn’t people, it’s money.

And as to the US losing cruising to Caribbean islands, that is only a shortstop fix no matter how long this goes on; only a few people will be paying the additional costs and time to fly to those islands to then cruise around. Once the US ports open, that will all go away except for the few cruises you see out of St Juan and so on as before.

Isn’t it nice that I’m sooooo knowledgeable on something I know little about!!

Den

• Like 4

We have heard from Cruises line officials that it will take between 60 and 90 days to gather staff, re-stock the larders, do test cruises, pass all engineering and health requirements and be ready to cruise.  

so any decision to open for business in July would need to be made around April 1, or within the next month.   Keep that timeline in mind.

by the time your plea reaches any elected officials, works it way through the backlog of emails and makes its way off their deputies’ desk, and they decide on any positive action, it’s pretty much too late for a US opening in July, IMO.

I clicked on the link from another thread but just saw the poll for the first time and added my vote. Surprised at the results esp for a Cruise - oriented Community

One industry and all those related to it are hurting economically due to ongoing refusal  of CDC to  even consider approval of a  few test cruises with limited number of fully vacinated and neg  tested crew and passengers.   What does  the current science show?

LET'S GET CRUISING AGAIN!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Passengers do not need to fly may not consider St Marteen but is another option for passengers do need to fly to get to the port.

There are still a lot of passengers that need to take flights to the port.it won’t make much different to them.That’s why Celebrity put a smaller ship there just to test the water.If the demand is there they will move more ships there.Of course it will be short term if the demand is not there.

On 3/27/2021 at 8:47 AM, Sam.Seattle said:

The "NO" votes just took the lead.  24 = No / 22 = YES

• Haha 1

It’s kind of fun with the numerous threads that are basically the same discussion on when to open US cruising ports. Heck, there are a few that aren’t titled about that but we’ve turned them into it. the neat thing is I’ve realized I’ve posted on more than a few and my posts pretty much read the same.....I think I’ll just copy/paste from now on! 

And yes, we think we see the light at the end of the Pandemic tunnel so we are all excited about getting back to cruising. And no, I Will Not then remind everyone the light we see could be the Pandemic surge train coming towards us!!! See, I snuck it in!

Den

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Being a bit of a history buff I'd say that we have successfully landed on Juno, and the rest of the Normandy beaches in our battle against Covid but, like the Allies in WWII found out, it will not be a cakewalk to victory. Enemies seem to always have a thing or two up their sleeves to stave off defeat.

It seems to me that all this talk about reopening the cruise industry ASAP is like wanting to have our VC (victory over Covid) day in the equivalent of June/July 1944, months before the real ultimate victory could be declared. Sadly, I think it is going to take more time, more sacrifices and more deaths before for our VC day can be declared.  

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 4