Do I need to bring pants? :)

On 3/29/2021 at 11:01 AM, livingonthebeach said:

Pants and underpants are optional onboard. WJ anything goes -- itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow dot bikinis allowed -- even bath robes. 

Don't know about the bikinis in the 'Jammer:  I saw a woman asked to leave and then return with her beach cover-up on.

OP really hasn't given enough information.  Some cruises are more formal than others.  My experience on Radiance in Alaska was different than my experience on Liberty was different than my experience on Mariner was different than my experience of Adventure.  I think it depends on your comfort level looking different than the majority.  

My observation is that most of the "wear whatever you want, it's your vacation" crowd overstate the commonality of shorts on men in the MDR.  YMMV

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Remember the title of this thread...."Do I need to bring pants?".   

So then the answer is no then.  

Royal only offers dress suggestions with the exception “bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and vest tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Speciality Dining venues for dinner.”

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

4 hours ago, HicksRA said:

I have a wife, but not a husband. 
It was a dinner time neighbor in the MDR on Vision. 

I figured so and not my point. You should take pictures of your wife and not of strangers and how they are dressed. 🙄 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

You posted the picture, so you made it my business. You should take your own advice. What zoom setting did you have to use to sneak the shot. 🤣

Sorry. I wasn’t aware that you’re the picture police or I would have asked permission. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

OP really hasn't given enough information.  Some cruises are more formal than others.  My experience on Radiance in Alaska was different than my experience on Liberty was different than my experience on Mariner was different than my experience of Adventure.  I think it depends on your comfort level looking different than the majority.  

My observation is that most of the "wear whatever you want, it's your vacation" crowd overstate the commonality of shorts on men in the MDR.  YMMV

I disagree OP asked if they need to bring pants 🙄 hopefully they do not post a picture without said pants .....Too much information 🤣

• Like 1

16171602410358853766044886095373.thumb.jpg.174abbacfcbe6de2a02ace6d2f7b86ee.jpg

On 3/30/2021 at 6:01 AM, SilkySal said:

My DH was not allowed to wear a tank top in the MDR; might have been cause he has a sexy (IMO) but fairly hairy body, so was asked to cover up a bit more. No problem. Only thing that kind of bothers me (not sure about you other ladies) was seeing butts in thongs or string bikinis sitting on bar stools. Eeeww!  TMI?

Cheers!!🥂

Dubbel Eeeww! Your sexy is Not 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sail n Snow said:

So then the answer is no then.  

Royal only offers dress suggestions with the exception “bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and vest tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Speciality Dining venues for dinner.”

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

Vest tops?  Oh my, what a polite way of calling cut off t-shirts or WB t-shirts.  LOL 

I've actually seen someone wearing similar barefoot sandals and they passed although they had bare feet.

It all boils down to the discretion of the ship's venue on any particular day. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 7.17.31 AM.png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

So I clicked on your link and it suggests that shorts are not acceptable at dinner.

When you're onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire that you'll see, grouped by item.

• Casual: You’re on holiday – relax! Jeans, polo shirts, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch.

Or one could say suggest is just that a suggestion so shorts are not called out as not allowed and can be worn 

It seems so 'old school' to worry about dress codes these days. I just never understood how people can go to the MDR or Specialty Restaurant and worry about what others are or are not wearing.  I just don't get it.  And for some to actually stoop so low as to take pics or video is just so mind boggling to me. We're talking about adults being all wrapped up in what others might be wearing. Sharing conversation and enjoying the food that is brought to me is my only concern. I just don't let the little things in life that shorts at dinner bother me. Seems so immature, meaningless, self absorbed. If someone is wearing shorts, well there is probably a good reason. And that reason is not my concern. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

It seems so 'old school' to worry about dress codes these days. I just never understood how people can go to the MDR or Specialty Restaurant and worry about what others are or are not wearing.  I just don't get it.  And for some to actually stoop so low as to take pics or video is just so mind boggling to me. We're talking about adults being all wrapped up in what others might be wearing. Sharing conversation and enjoying the food that is brought to me is my only concern. I just don't let the little things in life that shorts at dinner bother me. Seems so immature, meaningless, self absorbed. If someone is wearing shorts, well there is probably a good reason. And that reason is not my concern. 

I wish I could say that I agree with you, but I don't. Are you familiar with the phrase "give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile"? Well, as one who likes to dress for dinner and expects others to do the same, I find it tacky and borderline gross to come to dinner in the MDR and see people in slovenly pool attire. It just puts me off. More to the point, it encourages an already disturbing trend of "look at me" that is rampant in our society, which explains the proliferation of reality TV shows, social media-obsessed people, and egotism. Now, is it possible to see people in fine attire misbehaving? Sure, just as there are also people who dress down for dinner who behave in a respectable manner. But those are outliers. In my opinion, having no dress code sets a bad tone that, if it doesn't encourage rudeness, it certainly says "we don't care." I recently read on here about a woman who was clipping her toenails at the pool and when asked not to, replied "I'm on vacation, I can do what I want."

Exactly. And many, many MANY times I have read on Cruise Critic of people who were called out by the maitre-d' or other diners about showing up for dinner with cutoffs and a wifebeater and becoming belligerent, saying "I'm on vacation, I can wear what I want." Hey buddy, news flash: it isn't all about you! Have some respect for others. But I confess that, as someone who had to wear a tie and dress clothes to high school, I appreciate the saying "manners maketh man."

Now I await the avalanche of the judgmental critics among us. 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I wish I could say that I agree with you, but I don't. Are you familiar with the phrase "give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile"? Well, as one who likes to dress for dinner and expects others to do the same, I find it tacky and borderline gross to come to dinner in the MDR and see people in slovenly pool attire. It just puts me off. More to the point, it encourages an already disturbing trend of "look at me" that is rampant in our society, which explains the proliferation of reality TV shows, social media-obsessed people, and egotism. Now, is it possible to see people in fine attire misbehaving? Sure, just as there are also people who dress down for dinner who behave in a respectable manner. But those are outliers. In my opinion, having no dress code sets a bad tone that, if it doesn't encourage rudeness, it certainly says "we don't care." I recently read on here about a woman who was clipping her toenails at the pool and when asked not to, replied "I'm on vacation, I can do what I want."

Exactly. And many, many MANY times I have read on Cruise Critic of people who were called out by the maitre-d' or other diners about showing up for dinner with cutoffs and a wifebeater and becoming belligerent, saying "I'm on vacation, I can wear what I want." Hey buddy, news flash: it isn't all about you! Have some respect for others. But I confess that, as someone who had to wear a tie and dress clothes to high school, I appreciate the saying "manners maketh man."

Not a judgemental post, but a positive one.

Think you and Cunard would be a great fit...... Have you considered Cunard?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Not a judgemental post, but a positive one.

Think you and Cunard would be a great fit...... Have you considered Cunard?

Yes, we have considered Cunard. Haven't sailed with them yet, though.

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, we have considered Cunard. Haven't sailed with them yet, though.

Welcome to your potential new but “Old School” home, designed for genteel cruisers.

Don’t leave it too long to escape from the cruises of disappointment.

14 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I just finished watching a cruise vlog of a couple that were on an Oasis class ship. They went to the MDR every night except formal night in shorts. (They did wear a dress and a tie on formal night.) They had the photo package and had pictures taken of them in their shorts.  Husband wore a wife beater every morning to the Windjammer. I kept watching thinking to myself that this couple has never read Cruise Critic and been schooled on the dress code.  Obviously on the ship noone cared. And they were very happy and absolutely not offensive to anyone.

Watching their videos, it seems there was a fair amount of people in the MDR dressed very, very casually.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Welcome to your potential new but “Old School” home, designed for genteel cruisers.

Don’t leave it too long to escape from the cruises of disappointment.

Genteel? I don't think I said anything about that. Not at all, I like to have fun, and I wear casual clothes to breakfast and lunch. But dinner is a different animal to me. Maybe that wasn't clear in my post, and if so, I apologize for the lack of clarity. Generally, I'll wear a long-sleeve shirt and trousers to dinner, occasionally a jacket and tie, and a tux on formal night. But not for the other meals. Cunard seems a little too stuffy. We've had great luck on MSC, Costa, and RCI. I just don't want to sit next to a woman who's dressed like a stripper with a hubby sporting a profanity-laced T-shirt. Is that too much to ask? LOL

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

... I find it tacky and borderline gross to come to dinner in the MDR and see people in slovenly pool attire. It just puts me off. More to the point, it encourages an already disturbing trend of "look at me" that is rampant in our society, which explains the proliferation of reality TV shows, social media-obsessed people, and egotism.

LOL

46 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

.....I just don't want to sit next to a woman who's dressed like a stripper with a hubby sporting a profanity-laced T-shirt. Is that too much to ask? LOL

I think your right and it’s not too much to ask.  However RCI is trying to cater to the masses and the times are changing. Instead of using suggest they could use required or mandatory but for those that don’t see dinner the same way they may loose customers.  

There is probably an opportunity for RCI to have a better solution than just ignoring it.  On ships with multiple dinning rooms you could have an option to select more or less formal or doesn’t matter and then seat accordingly.  

On smaller ships maybe have sections or specific times.  It may not be completely feasible though.  

40 minutes ago, Sail n Snow said:

On ships with multiple dinning rooms you could have an option to select more or less formal or doesn’t matter and then seat accordingly.  

RCI tried that with Dynamic Dining, it didn't fare well 

• Like 1