Jordanyaya1

28 minutes ago, Jordanyaya1 said:

I know it would just be an educated guess, but do you think Celebrity will be sailing at full capacity in June 2022 for European cruises? We are booked on Ireland/Iceland in June 2022 and it hard to tell from their website. 

You can start by telling us what do YOU think??

I hope that cruise will sail as planned, since we’re also booked on it. Like most people on our roll call, it’s our second if not third attempt to do that cruise.

It would really be thoughtful for the virus, to finally take a break and give us a bit of warning, when it plans to do so! 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

I hope that cruise will sail as planned, since we’re also booked on it. Like most people on our roll call, it’s our second if not third attempt to do that cruise.

It would really be thoughtful for the virus, to finally take a break and give us a bit of warning, when it plans to do so! 

I think we need to unionize the damn virus, it will get plenty of breaks, sick days, vacations and a fabulous pension plan and health benefits, heck, at this point I'd be happy to pay for all of that (did I just say that) and can retire very comfortably.  Bye COVID, retire comfortably, please!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I think we need to unionize the damn virus, it will get plenty of breaks, sick days, vacations and a fabulous pension plan and health benefits, heck, at this point I'd be happy to pay for all of that (did I just say that) and can retire very comfortably.  Bye COVID, retire comfortably, please!  

Or...the virus could take another route....prison!  No benefits to pay, isolation for bad behaviour.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are also booked on the same cruise, and are currently feeling it has about a 50% chance of sailing in a format we would be able to accept.  We are sure it will sail, just not sure what conditions will be in place. We have previously done this trip, and enjoyed both Ireland and Iceland.  We are building a plan "B" which will be a direct trip to Iceland, and then touring the island on our own for 2 - 3 weeks.  "Surprisingly" under the new AI scheme (in a Sky Suite) we can vacation longer at a lower daily cost without compromising the travel experience.

We are hoping and planning for a Caribbean cruise in the March/April time-frame [2022].  We love the warm weather.  Forgot about this year and hoping that things will get back to some sort of "normal" for 2022.

I would say yes.

I think the bigger question is what restrictions and requirements will there be?

My Christmas Windstar 2021 cruise has a proof of vax requirement and a 72 hour PCR test and a PCR test before you board.

Edited by NMTraveller

It was a tough decision, but we are moving on from our January 2022 cruise. We decided to rent a villa on the beach in the Caribbean instead.
We decided to make it a family affair, so we told our two adult kids and their significant others, "we'll pay for the villa and you pay for anything else". Everyone is onboard.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

It was a tough decision, but we are moving on from our January 2022 cruise. We decided to rent a villa on the beach in the Caribbean instead.
We decided to make it a family affair, so we told our two adult kids and their significant others, "we'll pay for the villa and you pay for anything else". Everyone is onboard.

Love it!  Me and my partner did something similar.  Rented a house on the beach for the month of June in Provincetown on the Cape.  Told my kids and their spouses, my ex and her BF, open invite, don't ask just show up if you want to come down.  We got the house, all other $ are on you.  Really looking forward to it.  

• Like 2

On 3/29/2021 at 2:56 PM, Jordanyaya1 said:

I know it would just be an educated guess, but do you think Celebrity will be sailing at full capacity in June 2022 for European cruises? We are booked on Ireland/Iceland in June 2022 and it hard to tell from their website. 

I bet that cruises will be close to full or full and activities close to or at a formerly active level.  But, all bets are off as to WHICH sailings sail.  Still too close to the meat of the pandemic.  So many things will change when we reach a steady state on the other side of this thing.  I think that the dynamics of which sailings are likely to be booked and likely to be executed will change, and that is just hard to predict now.  We will have to go with the flow in a lot of things in our society for a while until a reliable new pattern emerges.  So, from a cruise point of view, we are going to have to absorb a lot of unpredictability for a while even after the medical threat subsides.  

- Joel

34 minutes ago, cl.klink said:

...all bets are off as to WHICH sailings sail.  Still too close to the meat of the pandemic.  So many things will change when we reach a steady state on the other side of this thing.  I think that the dynamics of which sailings are likely to be booked and likely to be executed will change, and that is just hard to predict now...

Joel,

At this point, it's still difficult to predict itineraries.  But there are some signs which show a little direction.  For example, Celebrity announcing new 2021 sailings to St. Maarten and to Greece/Israel.  Certain countries appear open to allowing cruises to resume while others don't...and that would be the sign of what to expect for the remainder of 2021...

However, looking to 2022, I think it's more important not to look at the cruise lines' actions, but to the Pandemic itself...and the numbers.  Vaccines are now out there.  Obviously, some countries (even some states) have been better at slowing the pandemic AND, even more importantly, at getting people vaccinated.  With a little chauvinism attached, admittedly, I look at the California numbers.  We are now down to less than 2,000 new cases a day...and under 10 deaths a day...and that is in a state with a population of over 40 million.  And we've already had over 17.5 million doses administered.  Obviously, most countries in the world are nowhere close to that yet...However...

...As vaccine availability rapidly increases...and the newer types of vaccines require less refrigeration and doses--making them more applicable to a lot of countries in the world where refrigeration and other needs are more difficult, I believe we will start seeing those Covid numbers decreasing rapidly everywhere (while, of course, at the same time, we need to keep aware of new strains and hope existing vaccines can apply or that we can keep ahead of such strains)...

So, the real guesswork here is in assessing the path of the "curve"...and countries and parts of the world where the curve is decreasing the fastest...and just how fast that curve is heading toward zero...I MIGHT be somewhat more optimistic than some.  I have seen predictions all over the place, even in the scientific community (and those are the ONLY "predictions" I tend to put stock in).  I do think many of the slower predictions are being overly conservative--dealing in caution...for good reasons, of course...but even those people WANT to be wrong.  IMHO, I think we'll be able to cruise "just like the old days"--or, at least, reasonably close to it--by some time in spring/summer 2022 in MOST parts of the world...

In the meanwhile, we do have signs...and announced cruises...and pandemic data...to predict many of the earlier workable itineraries.  Another concern, BTW, was how soon the cruise lines could get sufficient crew vaccinated, and that will probably disappear a lot quicker than most thought just a few weeks ago due to the increasing supply of vaccine...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 7:38 PM, Mike981 said:

That is our plan B as well if our 7 day Nov 2021 Caribbean sailing on the Edge is a “no go”. We will take the cash refund and rent a villa in St Thomas and invite grown son & spouse and brother & SIL.

Our cruise was one of the first cancelled last March and the itinerary has either been changed or cancelled 4x. 

We’d love to sail on the Edge in our S2 suite - a first for both, but if it doesn’t go - we will be going with plan B. 

• Like 1

I looked at air fair to Jamaica and the price was right. With the CDC still saying cruises out of the US will not happen until November, I just decided to go for it.
Another factor was a direct flight from Minneapolis to Jamaica, I have never had that before. BUT, now I am hearing that airlines are playing games by putting up multiple fights for the same route and then later consolidating them. Who knows, we'll just have to wait and see.