Rapid PCR Tests

NMTraveller

I am trying to figure out the logistics of getting a PCR test 72 hours before a cruise.  How long do the tests take to come back?  Where can you get them at?

To complicate matters we are flying into port a day or two before the cruise.

Edited by NMTraveller

Have they put out requirements?  I’ve seen some pretty specific requirements that could take work to be sure, and some pretty vague requirements. Ideally, they’d put out something pretty specific to make sure you get it right. Then find someone who can do it to the requirements. The rapid tests tend to be expensive because speed and convenience comes with expensive consumables. 

And there are parts of the world that still love stamps on documents...

8 minutes ago, markeb said:

Have they put out requirements?  I’ve seen some pretty specific requirements that could take work to be sure, and some pretty vague requirements. Ideally, they’d put out something pretty specific to make sure you get it right. Then find someone who can do it to the requirements. The rapid tests tend to be expensive because speed and convenience comes with expensive consumables. 

And there are parts of the world that still love stamps on documents...

Windstar cruises logo

March 30, 2021

Dear Windstar Guest,

We hope you are as excited as we are to sail again after a year plus without cruising while hunkering down at home waiting for the pandemic to let up. During this pause in operations, we’ve been busy researching and collaborating with experts for guidance on creating a safer environment on board, including the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Cruise Lines International Association and through our partnership with the Senior Medical Director at the UC Health Infection Control and Prevention Department at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.

With the knowledge and science available to us today, until further notice we have made the decision to require a current COVID-19 vaccine for all guests sailing aboard Windstar’s yachts . As you can imagine, we came to this decision after much thought and expert consultation, as well as after surveying our own guests. The vast majority of our guests are in favor of requiring a vaccine to cruise. In looking at the science behind the virus and how it spreads, we see consistent recommendations for mask wearing, social distancing, testing, enhanced cleaning, safer HVAC systems, and now that they are available, vaccinations. We are not alone in our thinking. We’ve seen many countries, other cruise lines and airlines require vaccines. A vaccine is the ultimate (though still not perfect) layer of safety for all of us. Combined with our Beyond Ordinary Care protocols, we believe requiring vaccinations of guests and crew is the right thing to do to create a healthier and safer environment on board. This Windstar standard is subject to change as CDC guidelines change. Windstar will periodically review this and all other COVID-19 policies for updates as the pandemic evolves. 

At the cruise terminal prior to embarkation, guests will be required to provide proof of a completed vaccine course (one or two shots depending on the brand) finished at least 14 days prior to your embarkation date. For example, if you are boarding on July 17, then you should have your second shot (or first if it’s the Johnson & Johnson single shot) by July 3 at the latest. Our first sailing date is June 19th, nearly three months away. Recent news reports about increased vaccine availability in the United States and abroad give us confidence that guests who wish to sail with us will have time to be vaccinated before travel. To provide you with more confidence, we have moved the final payment date from 120 days to 60 days prior to cruise departure.

Additionally, proof of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours before embarkation will be required and Windstar will test guests again at the pier prior to boarding. There also may be country and airline specific requirements for testing prior to travel. Guests should monitor these requirements as well so they may make appropriate arrangements for this pre-travel / pre-arrival testing.

Much thought and planning went into this decision. We realize not everyone can or will receive the vaccine for differing reasons. If this is the case for you or your traveling companion, please know that we sympathize with your feelings of disappointment, perhaps tinged with frustration. We are sorry and will miss seeing you on board while the pandemic continues.

If you are unable to meet the COVID-19 vaccination requirement, we will gladly provide you a refund for cancellations that occur greater than 60 days prior to sailing, and a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) will be issued for cancellations occurring within 60 days before sailing. Please contact your travel advisor or Windstar guest services to request a refund. Windstar will process the refund to the original form(s) of payment at 100% of the amount paid to Windstar Cruises. Please note Windstar does not reimburse third party (non-Windstar) travel expenses or fees.

In preparation to return to sailing, we continue to review and update our health and safety practices including enhanced sanitation protocols, health screenings, pre-embarkation testing for guests and crew, additional medical staff on board, flexible indoor and outdoor dining, and crew training. Our Beyond Ordinary Care program is a multi-layered strategy with key hospital-grade elements: HEPA filters and UV-C germicidal irradiation to filter and disinfect circulated air, plus electrostatic sprayers to sanitize all surfaces throughout our yachts. Learn more about these measures here.

We are excited to get back on the water and deliver that extraordinary experience you expect from us. Our first sailing dates are as follows:

• June 19, 2021: Star Breeze in the Caribbean and Wind Star in Mediterranean
  • July 15, 2021: Wind Spirit in Tahiti
  • August 8, 2021: Wind Surf in the Mediterranean
  • September 4, 2021: Star Legend in the Northern Europe
  • November 3, 2021: Star Pride in the Caribbean

Please be advised that we anticipate longer hold times due to high call volumes. We appreciate your patience.

It’s important you check back for updates to policies and procedures before you travel to embark on your Windstar cruise. Pay special attention to these items:

• COVID-19 vaccine requirements
  • Testing policies including a timeline to present a negative COVID-19 test and type of tests accepted
  • Mask wearing rules
  • Shore excursion policies

The health and well-being of our guests, crew, land-based employees and people in the communities we visit is always a top priority. We have taken extraordinary measures in an effort to safely operate our yachts for our guests and crewmembers and will continue to do so once we resume operations.

Our mission has always been to create exceptional private yacht-style cruises so that our guests may experience and gain a personal understanding of the world. We appreciate your patience as we navigate these new measures so that we can get back to what we do best – cruising and exploring.

We wish you and your family good health. We look forward to welcoming you on your Windstar cruise for a 180 degrees from ordinary experience. 

Very truly yours,

Christopher Prelog

Christopher Prelog

President

Windstar Cruises

Xanterra Travel Collection

They don't seem to get into the specifics.  They do give you links to check back as this is a constantly evolving situation.  I would assume that my CDC vax card would work until I hear differently.  

It sounds encouraging that they are installing HEPA filters on their ships.  Windstar only excursions, etc.  So far these are some of the better safety protocols I have seen.

Edited by NMTraveller

Hit refresh often. And check what constitutes documentation. This is going to become a cottage industry. I suspect you’re going to need at least a PDF of your results with lab name, address, etc., and potentially specific methodology, such as rt-PCR, maybe instrument name, etc.  And some form of certification (signature, embedded stamp, etc.). Which isn’t what people were getting from a drive through test for surveillance and screening. 

The cruise will likely require the most restrictive test required for any port stop.

Not trying to be scary, but it could be so easy to get it wrong, depending on what they ultimately require. Vigilance and paranoia aren’t always bad!  😀

• Like 2

I would suspect as time goes on they will have some testing sites in airports.  We have a free test site in our local airport but it is not PCR.

I would also expect as time goes on the requirements will be relaxed.

Edited by NMTraveller

If the time frame  is 72 hrs ahead, then OP  could get the test at home, and time port arrival to fit into the 72 hr limit  .  Hopefully no delays with your flight.

It is tricky.  We had the regular  test  72 hrs before  returning to NY...Our flight was cancelled  due to bad  weather and we could not get new  flights for a few more days ,  and we  could not get re tested...so our test results were stale. By time of the  flight we had our neg results and did not have issues with the time frame,  but  it did cause alot of stress!

Upon arrival to  NY , we  were required to get a test to shorten  our quarantine period . We  learned that the Rapid Test  usually costs more  ( up to $75 pp) & might  not be covered by ins.  Also,  not all Rapid Test locations give set appts . We did get an appt  at a pop up location in a shopping a few miles from the airport.. They did not charge &  results were ready in abt a half an hr  Now that NY has relaxed its test rules, that location may close.

We found it added more planning and stress to travels....We have our shots and hope to  avoid test stress for awhile!

Good luck to OP

We cancelled our trip to Hawaii because we could not find a "trusted partner" to guarantee the PCR test results would be back in time. I would have gladly paid more for a quick turn around but Hawaii only accepts results from their trusted partners.  Being told that the results "usually come back in 1-2 days" wasn't good enough for me. Each country may have different specific requirements so it may be a good idea to look closely before being tested. 

1 minute ago, ch175 said:

If everyone on the ship has been vaccinated, why is there a need for one (or even two) negative PCR tests prior to getting on board?

Probably because: 1)  Not everyone will be vaccinated.  For example passengers under 16.  2) Some people will lie about vaccinations  3) Vaccines are very effective but not 100% effective  4)  The countries the ship visits may require PCR tests.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Probably because: 1)  Not everyone will be vaccinated.  For example passengers under 16.  2) Some people will lie about vaccinations  3) Vaccines are very effective but not 100% effective  4)  The countries the ship visits may require PCR tests.

Windstar requires ALL guests to be vaccinated.  I suppose that Windstar is operating out of an abundance of caution in order to get their ships cruising again.  I suppose at some point in time the restrictions will be eased as numbers worldwide go down.

I guess we are lucky in our area.  Before a recent trip to Mexico we went to a drive in testing site near our home, received a PCR test while in the car, then parked and had the results walked out to us in 15 minutes.  They took my insurance card but a never saw an EOB.  The AI resort did their test on site so we could board Delta to come home.  It was very easy.

We have  hybrid B2B cruises booked in September for 2 cruises in Europe.  Our first cruise is on the Infinity and we are getting to Barcelona two days early, we will be close to the expiration 72 hours requirement if we get the PCR test the day we fly out. After we get off the Infinity we have 5 days of travel to Athens for our HAL cruise. I hope we could get a PCR test in Athens if required before we try to board the Westerdam. We both have been fully vaccinated as well. 

2 hours ago, marieps said:

I guess we are lucky in our area.  Before a recent trip to Mexico we went to a drive in testing site near our home, received a PCR test while in the car, then parked and had the results walked out to us in 15 minutes.  They took my insurance card but a never saw an EOB.  The AI resort did their test on site so we could board Delta to come home.  It was very easy.

Just to keep folks aware, Mexico does not require any kind of COVID test for folks flying-in.  However the US does require an Antigen test (pretty cheap and fast) within 3 days of flying home.

Hank

16 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just to keep folks aware, Mexico does not require any kind of COVID test for folks flying-in.  However the US does require an Antigen test (pretty cheap and fast) within 3 days of flying home.

Hank

There was a sad tale recently of a honeymoon couple in Mexico.. can't recall all the details but went something like this.  Husb tested pos  at their resort, and was quarantined..wife as well as a precaution in room next door to his,  The trip was prolonged at extra expense for the stay and new air,,,,  eventually they got out.

It was not  the honeymoon they planned for.    Ironuc that others are crossing US border without testing but not so for tourists.

Anyone who travels needs to prepare and be aware of possible bumps in the road..as always!

Edited by hcat

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

There was a sad tale recently of a honeymoon couple in Mexico.. can't recall all the details but went something like this.  Husb tested pos  at their resort, and was quarantined..wife as well as a precaution in room next door to his,  The trip was prolonged at extra expense for the stay and new air,,,,  eventually they got out.

It was not  the honeymoon they planned for.    Ironuc that others are crossing US border without testing but not so for tourists.

Anyone who travels needs to prepare and be aware of possible bumps in the road..as always!

We live in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) during the winter and recently returned (2 weeks ago).  Like folks who legally return to the USA (illegals do not need any testing) we had to get a negative Antigen test within 3 days of our flight.  DW and I actually had talked about what we would do if either of us tested positive and staying in Mexico a few more weeks would not have been a big problem...especially if we had no COVID symptoms.    In fact we posted on another site that our dilemma would be "Homeless in Vallarta" which, for us, would have meant a few more weeks in paradise.

I think you last sentence is very good advice.  Any traveler leaving the country needs to have a "Plan B" and maybe even a "Plan C."  Not only should they have health insurance that covers them (including COVID coverage) outside the country, but they need to have some kind of plan how they might handle a situation that delays them (perhaps for weeks) from getting home.  DW and I have no problem going out of the country now, but we do lots of "what if" planning.  As much as we love cruising we will not even consider a cruise (anywhere in the world) under the current situation.  The problem with being on a cruise ship is that, unlike on land, you have no control over what happens if there is a COVID outbreak (as little as one case) on the ship.  You may find yourself stuck on the ship (and quarantined to a small cabin) for days or even weeks, you may not be able to fly home for weeks, etc.  If this happens on land you have lots of control (assuming you take control) where you stay, where and what you eat, where you go for any necessary healthcare, etc.  

Traveling during a worldwide pandemic does take extra planning and involves more challenges.  For we independent travelers it is certainly a bump in the road, but with travel smarts and flexibility it can be done (and we have been doing it for the past year).  Now, with vaccines, we actually feel a lot better about future travel since our personal risk is significantly reduced (thanks to Pfizer).    Folks also have the option of no travel, staying home, sheltering in place, etc.  But that strategy may be required for several more years which is just not my style.

I like the trend of cruise lines like Crystal mandating 100% vaccinations for passengers and crew.  While not perfect it does seem like the best way to minimize risk for all involved.  Folks that do not want to get vaccinated are certainly welcome to not cruise on that, and many other, lines.  When we do resume cruising we will look to cruise on lines where everyone must be vaccinated.  

Hank

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Very good points. And to expand on your point (3), I believe vaccines are very effective against the worst effects, hospitalization and death. What has not yet been shown to a large degree is how effective vaccines are at preventing infection or spread. To be specific, there is not enough evidence that a vaccinated person could not get infected, spread COVID to many people, and cause a large outbreak. So that's why they want both vaccinations and negative tests.

I do not have sources to cite and I do not want to claim expertise or start rumors. Until we have more conclusive information, getting vaccinated and also testing negative is just a good idea before getting on a ship.

To Hank.. ( post no 20)

"We live in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) during the winter and recently returned (2 weeks ago).  Like folks who legally return to the USA (illegals do not need any testing) we had to get a negative Antigen test within 3 days of our flight.  DW and I actually had talked about what we would do if either of us tested positive and staying in Mexico a few more weeks would not have been a big problem...especially if we had no COVID symptoms.    In fact we posted on another site that our dilemma would be "Homeless in Vallarta" which, for us, would have meant a few more weeks in paradise."

LUCKY YOU!  One of our favorite places. Guess you do not have to take a cruise to enjoy it.

How are things going down there with, testing vaccines and cases of covid? Is tourism doing well?

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

It's interesting, Hank.  We received a PCR test in Mexico, as required by Canada (US wants antigen).  But it's up to the airline to enforce it.  Delta took it w/o question.  We were tested at a very well known AI north of Cancun.

39 minutes ago, marieps said:

It's interesting, Hank.  We received a PCR test in Mexico, as required by Canada (US wants antigen).  But it's up to the airline to enforce it.  Delta took it w/o question.  We were tested at a very well known AI north of Cancun.

When we recently left Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) we got antigen tests (cheaper and faster then PCR) and also had no issue with Delta.   It is very easy to get tested in Puerto Vallarta with either the antigen or PCR test.  We did not have to go through any special procedures when we entered the USA (at ATL) and, in fact, we were through the immigration check in about 5 minutes (having Global Entry is helpful).  

Hank

• Like 1

Don’t try to enter Hawaii with the antigen test as it is not accepted because it is not accurate enough for that state.   The rapid PCR tests from accepted partners are available in a few airports but are expensive.   We had one in San Francisco for $250 each.   We built that cost into our vacation cost.   When we landed in Hawaii ( Big Island), we had another test.   The PCR test results had to be uploaded to the Hawaii Safe Travel site so there was no chance of forging the results.   You receive a QR code and this had to be shown as we did some touristy type activities.   The cruise industry would be wise to follow Hawaii’s lead.