The Last Cruise HBO

dkjretired

I watched it last night.  Pretty much as I remembered being reported and watching some vidoes posted by the passengers while it was going on.  But I wasn't aware it was as bad as it was for the crew.  Very sad for them.  

We also found it interesting and it reinforced our determination not to cruise again until the Covid virus is much more under control.  As much as we love cruising, it’s not worth risking an experience like the Diamond had.  It would have been interesting if they had continued the story to follow some of the people who went home.  If I remember correctly, I thought I read that some of those people were infected as a result of  being  transported with infected passengers on the flight home.

• Like 2

The first part of the documentary was a good advertisement for the fun of cruising in general and on Princess specifically.

The rest of it once Covid-19 appeared seemed very factual and was not a hatchet job on Princess.

The documentary pointed out how new the virus was and all the unknowns about it. I do not think they blamed what happened on Princess.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, yoyosma said:

I watched it last night.  Pretty much as I remembered being reported and watching some vidoes posted by the passengers while it was going on.  But I wasn't aware it was as bad as it was for the crew.  Very sad for them.  

I think what the crew went through was the most upsetting thing.  Not moving someone to another room when their roommate tested positive. One man from Indonesia saying that after the passengers were evacuated that they truly feared for their lives, and the rumor, that shouldn't been taken seriously, that authorities might have had the ship sunk.  Very disturbing.

I think the show reinforces that the cruise lines MUST get the safety protocols right for both passengers and crew.  It will not be perfect, cruise lines despite all possible precautions have never been able to stop outbreaks of norovirus. I personally have no problem with requiring all aboard be vaccinated, but I know some people either can't or refuse to be vaccinated and that's their choice.  Obviously, there's a lot to figure out.

• Like 2

The show gives a great insight into the daily life of crew members  and their ĺiving conditions . I'm sure it will  be  very hard for them to come back . We have January  and February 2022 cruises booked and are looking forward to them so we  can do some special  things for these hard working  crew members.

Does anyone  know what benefits  if any the crews got during the shut down ?

It was an eye opener. Information was slow in coming and uncertainty was every where. Imagine captain Gennaro Arma got a good start on a  stomach ulcer .

Edited by c-boy

It was interesting. We sailed on the Regal out of FLL at the same time this was happening. At the time we figured that this was a world away and we had nothing to fear.
Two weeks after we returned the Regal was delayed returning to port because of a couple of crew members from the Grand being on board. The Grand had a smaller outbreak after these crew had been aboard. 
We won’t sail until this gets sorted out. 

I followed along when David Abel was on board (remember those days) and this was a different perspective.

I found it shocking that the crew had had such a bad time. I found it really disturbing as we knew how it all ended.

The person mentioning the crew were not "nice" because they were not getting their tips was disgraceful. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, yoyosma said:

21 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Just watched it. What I didn’t know, this was the first identification and proof this virus was being spread by asymptomatic carriers. 

Agree  with these comments.

9 hours ago, maryann2 said:

The person mentioning the crew were not "nice" because they were not getting their tips was disgraceful. 

I agree entirely.  Her sense of entitlement made me so angry!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

It's definitely a different video. I watched the one on HBO Max and just now "sampled" the one on youtube. Not the same.

It's not the same but we watched the Youtube documentary last night and it was interesting. Also makes me rethink ever booking an interior room.  

Edited by akeasley

We watched it last night, it really brought home how hard the crew had it, can't fathom how hard it must have been, exhausting really.  Delivering three meals a day to passengers cabins was just the tip of the iceberg;  the extra laundry, sanitizing every surface on the ship,  meal prep and cleanup,  was a constant chore.  Did not put some of the "entitled" passengers in a very good light.  Plus the worry about getting home to their loved ones, it was so sad and upsetting.  Really gave a new appreciation for the hardworking crew.

• Like 1

agree with many comments, that to me the message was the treatment and caring,or lack therof, of the crew..No excuse not to at least communicate. 

Sad for them and their treartment..