CDC vs Florida Gov DeSantis

Snowrose

So... yesterday the CDC released new technical instructions for moving forward on starting cruising again. Among the requirements is establishing a plan and timeline for vaccination of crew and port personnel.

Enter Governor DeSantis, who is pushing for cruising to reopen but who passed a law for Florida the other day banning any kind of COVID vaccine "passport", including for businesses. Workers -including port personnel - do not have to prove they've had a COVID vaccine. 

Rock, meet hard place.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Snowrose said:

So... yesterday the CDC released new technical instructions for moving forward on starting cruising again. Among the requirements is establishing a plan and timeline for vaccination of crew and port personnel.

Enter Governor DeSantis, who is pushing for cruising to reopen but who passed a law for Florida the other day banning any kind of COVID vaccine "passport", including for businesses. Workers -including port personnel - do not have to prove they've had a COVID vaccine. 

Rock, meet hard place.

Please read the order carefully. It doesn't say what you're suggesting about workers.

(1) It prohibits Florida government agencies from issuing COVID vaccine passports.

(2) It prohibits Florida businesses from requiring patrons or customers to prove they have been vaccinated or recovered from COVID in order to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business.

Nowhere does the order prohibit a business from requiring its employees to be vaccinated and in fact it specifically states it does not otherwise restrict businesses from instituting COVID screening protocols in accordance with state and federal law to protect public health.

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/EO-21-81.pdf

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Well it looks like Governor DeSantis has shot himself in the foot....

That’s what happens when you try to please everyone..

Unfortunately his attempt at motivating the CDC through public humiliation didn't have the desired effect.  The old proverb:  You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar.  

• Like 5

This won't really change cruise lines actions. They are mix of State/Federal/Ship Flag (Bahamas) regulations with state having least control (like almost none). If CDC, which has control over ships docking in US ports says "Vaccine required", DeSantis has no say at that point. Not to mention, Florida regulations don't matter at all once ship leaves FL waters.

At best, DeSantis EO controls dock workers as much as federal government will allow. Docks are like Airports, mix mash of Federal/State/City control with Feds having ultimate say.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, njhorseman said:

(2) It prohibits Florida businesses from requiring patrons or customers to prove they have been vaccinated or recovered from COVID in order to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business.

And I have my doubts that this will be found to be constitutional.  As long as the policy is applied to everyone, businesses have the right to set standards as to who may enter the business.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Goldconnection said:

Just a little information I found. Not sure this is something to be proud of. I am sure the family of those who died would agree. “Compared to other states, Florida has the third-highest count of confirmed cases and the fourth-highest count of deaths.” 

Florida is the 3rd largest state by population.  Your statement is misleading, look at the rate/100000 people and you see how well Florida is doing. Plus their economy is open. 

• Like 8

17 hours ago, mianmike said:

Unfortunately his attempt at motivating the CDC through public humiliation didn't have the desired effect.  The old proverb:  You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar.  

While normally I agree I think it is clear the local folks and the cruise lines tried with honey for over a year and not a fly came to call, so they switched up the game about 14 days back, and to me, it's a breath of fresh air.

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Trimone said:

Well it looks like Governor DeSantis has shot himself in the foot....

That’s what happens when you try to please everyone..

Read to order!  He knows what he is doing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Snowrose said:

Rock, meet hard place.

The vaccine passport is NOT the same as the card which has your proof of vaccination and still can be shown to prove you are vaccinated. I dont understand how so many think they are one and the same. 

I'm perfectly able to show my vaccination card. ...the vaccine passport doesnt even exist.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The vaccine passport is NOT the same as the card which has your proof of vaccination and still can be shown to prove you are vaccinated. I dont understand how so many think they are one and the same. 

I'm perfectly able to show my vaccination card. ...the vaccine passport doesnt even exist.

Not quite.  No business in Florida can require ANY proof of vaccination, which would, obviously, include the CDC card.  Directly from the EO:

image.png.4614cc1bd76c0873d4504d38b1265df6.png

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And I have my doubts that this will be found to be constitutional.  As long as the policy is applied to everyone, businesses have the right to set standards as to who may enter the business.

HIPAA

No they don't when it comes to protected information.

10 minutes ago, NightOne said:

HIPAA

No they don't when it comes to protected information.

HIPAA protects you from having your health information given out without your consent.  However, if a place of business wishes to know something about your health, they have the right to ask to see something, and you have the right to show them, and use the business, or not show them, and go somewhere else.  HIPAA only requires that health care providers protect your information, not that businesses cannot ask for health information.

A quick google search will show what businesses can and can't ask about your health information, whether you are an employee or customer.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, rjrpar said:

Florida is the 3rd largest state by population.  Your statement is misleading, look at the rate/100000 people and you see how well Florida is doing. Plus their economy is open. 

If nothing else, online debates about Covid-19 have often devolved into little petty squabbles over which data to trust and how to interpret it. "It's the total number of cases that matters, no, it's the number of deaths, no, it's the number of infections per capita, no it's number of deaths per capita, no you can't trust that website, use this one, no, that study wasn't peer reviewed, this one was, no, too small a sample size to be reliable, no, you have to separate out those with comorbidities, no, that one only applies to Israel, etc. etc. etc." 🤷‍♂️🤪 No matter where you stand, there's data out there to prove your case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oteixeira said:

While normally I agree I think it is clear the local folks and the cruise lines tried with honey for over a year and not a fly came to call, so they switched up the game about 14 days back, and to me, it's a breath of fresh air.

I missed or forgot the "honey" part of Florida state's response.  Any examples?  The cruise lines were definitely trying to play nice.  

1 hour ago, mianmike said:

I missed or forgot the "honey" part of Florida state's response.  Any examples?  The cruise lines were definitely trying to play nice.  

They were silent for quite a long time, letting the cruise lines take the lead.  I think that was plenty of honey.  They could have been screaming about lost jobs and income the entire time, but they chose not to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oteixeira said:

They were silent for quite a long time, letting the cruise lines take the lead.  I think that was plenty of honey.  They could have been screaming about lost jobs and income the entire time, but they chose not to.

That's quite a low bar for "honey." 

The best they could do to help their ailing businesses is keep quiet?  I have higher aspirations for my governor, but maybe in this day and age keeping quiet is the most negotiating we can hope our elected officials can accomplish.  :classic_unsure:

23 hours ago, roger001 said:

IATA iPhone passport being developed.  It sure looks like if you ever do wish to travel internationally, you'll have to be vaccinated or show other proof.  

IATA-Travel-pass-916x515-1.jpg

Nice graphic.  Thanks

17 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

If nothing else, online debates about Covid-19 have often devolved into little petty squabbles over which data to trust and how to interpret it. "It's the total number of cases that matters, no, it's the number of deaths, no, it's the number of infections per capita, no it's number of deaths per capita, no you can't trust that website, use this one, no, that study wasn't peer reviewed, this one was, no, too small a sample size to be reliable, no, you have to separate out those with comorbidities, no, that one only applies to Israel, etc. etc. etc." 🤷‍♂️🤪 No matter where you stand, there's data out there to prove your case.

So true. Point made.