Florida sues to reopen cruise ports

Ken the cruiser

2 minutes ago, Oville said:

Would it make any sense to have some lag time between those disembarking and those embarking?  For example everyone off by 9:30 and check in doesn’t start til noon.

Aside from some logistical issues, I'm certain we will see enforced arrival/check-in times and more time between offloading one cruise and sailaway for the next. Pushing departure times into the evening where it's feasible would open up the possibility to fly in day-of more comfortably also. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Didn't make much sense when you have airports continually using gangways to load and unload passengers, sometimes using them minutes after passengers disembark. Anyway, it definitely would appear there are some behind the scenes negotiations going on.

It never made any sense to me as the major airport terminals are jam packed.  Instead of using every other terminal and spacing out they are using every terminal in a portion of the airport.

16 minutes ago, Oville said:

Would it make any sense to have some lag time between those disembarking and those embarking?  For example everyone off by 9:30 and check in doesn’t start til noon.

Of course it makes sense, which is probably why it will not happen

689089712_ScreenShot2021-04-12at6_24_03PM.thumb.png.cccce8c9866b07e0e96824d1168bf99b.png

This is the concept behind the staggered arrival/inprocessing times.  Problem is that few, if any, passengers adhere to posted arrival times.    That first drink beckons as does that buffet...  If cruise lines would actually enforce their guidance things would be much better and safer.

1 minute ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

689089712_ScreenShot2021-04-12at6_24_03PM.thumb.png.cccce8c9866b07e0e96824d1168bf99b.png

This is the concept behind the staggered arrival/inprocessing times.  Problem is that few, if any, passengers adhere to posted arrival times.    That first drink beckons as does that buffet...  If cruise lines would actually enforce their guidance things would be much better and safer.

And if grown mature(??) adults would act like adults, instead of focusing on being immediately on line at the buffet, things would improve immensely.  Same mentality people have when merging on the freeway from the on ramp, gotta be first, gotta be first. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Very true, but if they don’t start checking people in til...  I live in South Florida, I wouldn’t want to wait in line 10 minutes let alone an hour or two.😉🌞

Didn't make much sense when you have airports continually using gangways to load and unload passengers, sometimes using them minutes after passengers disembark. Anyway, it definitely would appear there are some behind the scenes negotiations going on.

It does when you consider the following.  In all of the major outbreaks on cruise ships the outbreak started on the prior cruise, remained on board either from someone doing a B2B or infected crew.  This included the outbreak on the Hurtigruten cruise in Norway when they restarted.  As a result many of the rules are aimed at making sure that an infection does not carry over between cruises.  Such as the ban of B2B cruising, the limited cruise length.  All aimed at making sure that if an infection makes it on board there is not time to spread widely.

The 12 hour made it sure that disembarking passengers would not come in contact with embarking passengers.  We have all seen when we have gotten off a cruise, even early, that you all ready have passengers for the next cruise showing up at the terminal waiting for check in to open.  Depending upon the port, sometimes sharing the same benches as those getting off waiting for transportation.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nocl said:

It does when you consider the following.  In all of the major outbreaks on cruise ships the outbreak started on the prior cruise, remained on board either from someone doing a B2B or infected crew.  This included the outbreak on the Hurtigruten cruise in Norway when they restarted.  As a result many of the rules are aimed at making sure that an infection does not carry over between cruises.  Such as the ban of B2B cruising, the limited cruise length.  All aimed at making sure that if an infection makes it on board there is not time to spread widely.

The 12 hour made it sure that disembarking passengers would not come in contact with embarking passengers.  We have all seen when we have gotten off a cruise, even early, that you all ready have passengers for the next cruise showing up at the terminal waiting for check in to open.  Depending upon the port, sometimes sharing the same benches as those getting off waiting for transportation.

Sorry, if everyone is required to be vaccinated on the Phase 2B test cruises and Phase 4 restricted cruises, I'm not seeing the importance of the 12 hour requirement defined the the Phase 2A TI. But no big deal as it's a moot point now. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

If cruise lines would have actually enforced their own rules starting years ago, it certainly would have enhanced many passengers trips immensely. And those rules were nothing compared to what they will have to deal with now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

If cruise lines would have actually enforced their own rules starting years ago, it certainly would have enhanced many passengers trips immensely. And those rules were nothing compared to what they will have to deal with now.

To which rules are you referring?  

Sorry, if everyone is required to be vaccinated on the Phase 2B test cruises and Phase 4 restricted cruises, I'm not seeing the importance of the 12 hour requirement defined the the Phase 2A TI. But no big deal as it's a moot point now. 

12 hours was senseless and something that we have not seen in ANY guidelines in the past year.  I'm afraid the CDC was just making sh!t up for no good reason. 

If everyone is required to be vaccinated.  First the cruise lines need to propose it in a plan. Without such the CDC cannot assume that it will be in the plans.  At this stage the CDC cannot mandate it, but they could approve it as part of a plan proposed by the cruise lines.  As such the CDC cannot assume that plans will include full vaccination.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

In a perfect world....

But some folks  have  no choice b/c flight arrival times vary..as do check out times at local hotels.    Even those driving cannot always time things perfectly.

Suite guests usually have a nice waiting area but most passengers would be outside or on uncomfy benches  in terminals.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

In a perfect world....

But some folks  have  no choice b/c flight arrival times vary..as do check out times at local hotels.    Even those driving cannot always time things perfectly.

Suite guests usually have a nice waiting area but most passengers would be outside or on uncomfy benches  in terminals.

Hotels mostly have 11:00-12:00 checkouts, flight times become moot if you fly in the day before and drivers can kill time if they want to arrive super early.  When cruising begins again in FL it’s  not going to be 2019, this pandemic has change our lives and we have to adapt.  Hopefully things will change down the road but not in the summer of 2021.

Also, this should apply to suites guests.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Appointments are not difficult?!?  Here in my state and county appointments are extremely difficult!  I spent hours online and on the phone trying to get an appointment for my 93 year old aunt.  I had to drive 2 1/2 hours each way to get my own shots.

Holy crap, seriously???  I got extremely fortunate that I got in and then Cook county open up 25,000 appointments, so then my wife got in as well!

If it's not too personal, which burb are you in?

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Which makes me wonder if they are heavily leaning in that direction, hence the reason they did away with the 12 hour requirement.

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

Which makes me wonder if they are heavily leaning in that direction, hence the reason they did away with the 12 hour requirement.

Unfortunately there is no clarity on what the cruise lines will require when they restart in the US. 

Spokesman from CCL and RCL have stated that it is uncertain if vaccinations will be required when cruises restart from the US.  That it depends upon what CDC requires, but CDC cannot require them with the current EUA status, only recommend

De Santis is saying that his rules does apply to cruises leaving from Florida, though legal experts disagree.

the following article references the coments from the cruise lines

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-silversea-cruises-to-require-vaccinations-20210412-7ok6fwabpndc5aop6oyla5tgvq-story.html

Edited by nocl

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Unfortunately there is no clarity on what the cruise lines will require when they restart in the US. 

Spokesman from CCL and RCL have stated that it is uncertain if vaccinations will be required when cruises restart from the US.  That it depends upon what CDC requires, but CDC cannot require them with the current EUA status, only recommend

De Santis is saying that his rules does apply to cruises leaving from Florida, though legal experts disagree.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-silversea-cruises-to-require-vaccinations-20210412-7ok6fwabpndc5aop6oyla5tgvq-story.html

It would be ironic if the CDC allowed trial cruises with the stipulation that all cruises must have fully vaccinated passengers and crew. See what the Gov says then. They could run Caribbean cruises out of Galveston.

2 hours ago, nocl said:

Good article. Thanks for posting!

12 hours ago, hcat said:

In a perfect world....

Don't need a "perfect world."  Just need a world where people are courteous, respect others and follow guidelines designed to keep everyone safe.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

It would be ironic if the CDC allowed trial cruises with the stipulation that all cruises must have fully vaccinated passengers and crew. See what the Gov says then. They could run Caribbean cruises out of Galveston.

Cruise lines could relocate to Texas and states along the east coast.  

16 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Cruise lines could relocate to Texas and states along the east coast.  

Could, but it wouldn't logistically work.  Florida has 5 cities that have ports the cruises use.  In those cities that have, IIRC, at least 3 piers from which cruise ships dock.  No other state could handle it without some major renovations.