Silversea excursions

Mocamps

It seems that when cruising finally starts again, it may not be possible to organise our own excursions? Is that correct?

This seems like it might be quite a hefty additional expense as we have only ever done expedition cruises with Silversea  where they are already included. And when we have sailed with Celebrity and Windstar we did our own thing - often very similar to the ship's excursions but at a fraction of the cost. And it didn't involve being herded onto large coaches which doesn't really appeal.

We are now tempted to move completely to Silversea as we like to smaller ships and the whole SS experience. But if the only way we can get off the ship is by going on their excursions that might be a deal-breaker. Can anyone advise us as to the cost and quality of SS excursions?

1 hour ago, Mocamps said:

Is that correct?

Correct

1 hour ago, Mocamps said:

Can anyone advise us as to the cost and quality of SS excursions?

Virtually impossible as it depends on a variety of factors such as port and tour type.  Like you, we tend to organize our own tours.  But, on occasion we take a SS excursion.  Generally, they are of high quality.  Per person prices that we’ve taken ran from around $69 to over $1,000.  It all depends on the type of tour.

Edited by Stumblefoot

2 hours ago, Mocamps said:

But if the only way we can get off the ship is by going on their excursions that might be a deal-breaker.

If this is the case, it will almost certainly be a temporary arrangement in light of COVID.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Observer said:

If this is the case, it will almost certainly be a temporary arrangement in light of COVID.

Certainly it is driven by Covid.  Whether it will persist is the unknown.   That said until we’re allowed off the ship on our own I don’t see us cruising.

My question is whether Silversea will reduce the cost of the optional excursions, since they are now providing some excursions in the cruise fare?  Since I've already 'paid' for those excursions, shouldn't the others be priced only at what would have been their additional cost?

With regard to the upcoming Moon Greece cruises, only private car excursions come with a price tag (USD 400 -1,000). All other excursions are free. As shown below, people must pay if they want more than one excursion per day,  which wouldn't even be possible on the Moon Greece cruises due to the timing/duration of the excursions. 

This is what is mentioned in MySilversea:

SHORE EXCURSIONS PROGRAMME

On all Classic Cruises of Silver Muse, Silver Moon, Silver Dawn, Silver Spirit, Silver Whisper and Silver Shadow, selected shore excursions (one per guest/port/day), if available, will be offered on a complimentary basis. 

Shore excursions will be bookable at least 180 days prior to sailing, on “first-come-first-served” basis, although a pre-sale period will be dedicated to Venetian Society guests. Shore Excursions may require minimum participation levels to operate so it is recommended to sign up as early as possible. The deadline for booking Shore Excursions on MySilversea is 2 days prior departure date. 

The “Shore Excursions Programme” is subjected to shore excursions availability in each port and guests’ first choice may or may not be available. The first shore excursion booked in a single day/port, among the shore excursions bookable and available within the Programme, will be considered included, while additional ones will come at full fare. Shore Excursions Programme does not apply on the embarking and disembarking port. 

In case guests’ first choice in a single port is waitlisted, Silversea recommends guests to choose an alternative option, which will be considered confirmed should the first choice be confirmed as not unavailable. Guests will be notified about the status of the waitlisted tour and they will have the option to make their final choice on MySilversea about the tour they want to include in the programme. 

More excursions are available for purchase at full price. Capacity is limited on all shore excursions including shore excursions available in the Programme and guests’ first choice may or may not be available. Shore Excursions may require minimum participation levels to operate so it is recommended to sign up as early as possible. Silversea strongly advises booking shore excursions as soon as they are available, usually 180 days before the voyage departure date, to avoid disappointment. The deadline for booking Shore Excursions on MySilversea is 2 days prior departure date. 

Silversea reserves the right to cancel any excursions including free shore excursions. No credit or other compensation will be given if free shore excursions are unavailable, cancelled or not utilized. No shore excursions will be offered at the disembarkation port/day. All shore excursions including those offered on a complimentary basis are operated by independent operators over whom Silversea has no control. All advertised fares, savings, offers, programs and itineraries are correct at time of printing, are subject to availability and may change at any time. Other restrictions may apply. 

For Expedition voyages, shore activities are fully included as compulsory component of the product.

In this tour programme all the excursions start at 10 am (a few at 2pm) and last at least 4 hours (many up to 8 hours), so it is technically impossible to do more than one excursion per day. 

Looking at the Silversea website it now looks like shore excursions are included in 2022 cruises but I'm not sure what will happen later this year.

It's just been confirmed that our Reykjavik to Kangerlussaq cruise has been cancelled and there don't seem to be any other expedition cruises (our favourites!!) available except Antarctic and Galapagos and we've already done both of these. We're therefore looking at either the Muse later on in the year in Asia or the Whisper in Norway in July (but I doubt that will go if the Cloud has been cancelled?) But I'm not clear what will happen about shore excursions on either of these.

7 hours ago, jmalux said:

With regard to the upcoming Moon Greece cruises, only private car excursions come with a price tag (USD 400 -1,000). All other excursions are free.

That's not the case for the Jan. 23, 2023 Australia-New Zealand cruise I was looking at.  As shown below (this is typical of all port calls on this cruise) there is a choice of 3 free excursions but the other 4 (which do not include any private car excursions) have an unstated charge.  Looking at earlier Silversea NZ cruises I can figure out what the costs were for each of these excursions – but they haven't posted the prices for 2023 so I can't tell if they will reduce the cost of the optionals to reflect 'payment' for the basic ones in the cruise fare.

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 1.49.58 PM.png

I can't see them being free either!! But I can't seem to find out the costs. I'm looking at a Silver Muse cruise in November and it lists the excursions but with no prices attached. Any idea where I can find the prices?

The new ten day Moon cruises as jmalux indicate above offer a number of free excursions.  Am booked on the last two A/B ten day itineraries in late Aug thru

mid Sept, and chose excursions today.  For example here are the free excursions offered in Rhodes (well not free since we paid for them in our cruise fare)

AVAILABLE
  • INCLUDED EXCURSIONS
  • $79.00 $0.00
  • THE ACROPOLIS OF LINDOS (RHO-002)
  • Rhodes, Greece
  • The ancient grandeur and spectacular beauty of the Acropolis are among the highlights of any visit to Greece. Your half-day excursion explores the ancient Doric village of Lindos, and the summit of the Acropolis. Here, take in breathtaking views overlooking St. Paul's Bay and visit the magnificent remains of past civilisations. Points of interest seen on this excursion may include: Rhodes, Lindos, Acropolis, St. Paul's Bay, Temple of Athena Lindia, Double-winged Portico, Byzantine Church, Fortifications of the Knights, Governor's Quarters
  • Start: 10:00

• Duration: 4 Hours 30 Minutes

• Difficulty: Extensive Activity

RESERVE

AVAILABLE
  • INCLUDED EXCURSIONS
  • $109.00 $0.00
  • LINDOS & RHODES DISCOVERY WITH LUNCH (RHO-003)
  • Rhodes, Greece
  • The ancient cities of Rhodes and Lindos are highlighted by a spectacular blend of historic landmarks, picturesque villages and splendid natural landscapes. Your picturesque, full-day excursion explores the ancient Doric village of Lindos and summit of the Acropolis, home of the Temple of Athena Lindia, Byzantine Church and more. Points of interest seen on this excursion may include: Lindos, Acropolis, Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, Palace of the Grand Masters

• Duration: 8 Hours

RESERVE

AVAILABLE
  • INCLUDED EXCURSIONS
  • $69.00 $0.00
  • MEDIEVAL RHODES (RHO-004)
  • Rhodes, Greece
  • The wonderful historic sites of Rhodes offer a unique glimpse into its medieval past. Your half-day excursion to Rhodes explores the walled Old City, home of the Palace of the Grand Masters, Avenue of the Knights and Archaeological Museum. Here, see ancient artefacts and exquisite statues, including the Aphrodite of Rhodes. Points of interest seen on this excursion may include: Bay of Rhodes, Rhodes, D'Amboise Gate, Old City, Palace of the Grand Masters, Avenue of the Knights, Archaeological Museum, Aphrodite of Rhodes

• Duration: 3 Hours 30 Minutes

RESERVE

AVAILABLE
  • INCLUDED EXCURSIONS
  • $79.00 $0.00
  • PANORAMIC RHODES (RHO-005)
  • Rhodes, Greece
  • Explore some of the most scenic and historic sites in Rhodes during this half-day sightseeing excursion to Mt. Philerimos and Lindos. Drive up Mt. Philerimos for spectacular views over Rhodes and see the restored Church of Our Lady, the Monastery and barrel-vaulted Church of St. George. Next view the spectacular Acropolis of Lindos. Continue to Kolymbia Bay and on to the spectacular vista from Monte Smith. Points of interest seen on this excursion may include: Mt. Philerimos, Acropolis of Lindos, Kolymbia Bay, Church of St. George, Church of Our Lady, the Monastery

• Difficulty: Minimal Activity

RESERVE

AVAILABLE
  • INCLUDED EXCURSIONS
  • $89.00 $0.00
  • RHODIAN POTTERY WORKSHOP (RHO-006)
  • Rhodes, Greece
  • Pottery-making in Rhodes dates from ancient times, and is practised on the island to this day. Your half-day excursion to a ceramic workshop explores the history of pottery-making in Rhodes, and offers a unique opportunity to make your own vase pottery and browse the lovely Rhodian ceramics on display. Points of interest seen on this excursion may include: New Town of Rhodes, Mount Smith, Temple of Apollo, Ancient Stadium, Afandou, Bonis Ceramic Workshop

• Difficulty: Minimal Activity

20 minutes ago, Mocamps said:

I can't see them being free either!! But I can't seem to find out the costs. I'm looking at a Silver Muse cruise in November and it lists the excursions but with no prices attached. Any idea where I can find the prices?

If there are no prices yet, they might not have them from the particular tour company. Are you more than 210 days from sailing? 

This is new from the website-

AFRICA AND INDIAN OCEAN - ALL INCLUSIVE

FEATURING

BUSINESS CLASS FOR $1,499 EACH WAY

OR INCLUDED ECONOMY CLASS ROUNDTRIP

INCLUDED TRANSFERS

BETWEEN AIRPORT AND SHIP

INCLUDED SHORE EXCURSIONS

1 PER PORT, PER DAY AMONG A SELECTION OF EXCURSIONS

Now you can truly get closer to Africa and Indian Ocean’s authentic beauty. We have chosen a selection of the best shore excursions in every port and included them in every voyage. And that’s not all – we’ve even included your air fare too. Yes, that’s right – shore excursions included in every port on every voyage and complimentary air fare. Now that’s what we call truly all-inclusive luxury. With game drives, millennia old culture, miles of white sandy beaches and kaleidoscopic underwater life, African and the Indian Ocean offer more than you could ever imagine.

For cruises with the following code xxxxxxxxCxx, in the event you require Air one way only instead of Roundtrip, the supplement for Business Class Air may vary lower or greater than the advertised price – please contact your travel professional for a formal quote.
In case Promotional Flights are not available or for guests not utilizing the promotional bundle offer, we are pleased to offer a $1,000 Air credit. Included transfers available only for guests utilizing Silversea air offer. For more details please refer to the Terms and Conditions page.

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning,  so they are offering 1 complimentary excursion in each port.  I thought you meant all of them were free. 

I think you mean a passenger may chose one complimentary per day, but there are 2 or 3 complimentary options to choose from.  At least that's what our booking shows.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

I think you mean a passenger may chose one complimentary per day, but there are 2 or 3 complimentary options to choose from.  At least that's what our booking shows.

Thanks for the clarification!🙂

6 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Not until April 2022 on all ships, according to SS's CMO.  For example, our February 2022 voyage on the Moon does not have the complimentary excursions.

It starts march with Mediterranean cruise itinerary ( yes late march going into April) 

So yes free excursions start 2022 sorry😞