Carnival’s CEO states that they will not require vaccinations

Prismism

8 minutes ago, cruiseracer said:

Why do you care about the decisions of unvaccinated individuals?

They impact both other unvacinated individuals as well as vaccinated individuals. On a cruise ship, they risk premature end to the cruise at the very least and perhaps future cruises as well.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

5 out of the 9 divisions of Carnival Corporation will be sailing this summer and all of them will be requiring vaccines.  Because of the older skewed demographic of HAL, I believe that your apprehension will be eliminated because vaccines will be required.

It will be interesting to see what happens.  Arnold Donald came out last week and firmly stated that CCL Corp will not mandate vaccines for cruising from the US.  Theoretically, that would include all of the CCL subsidiaries.  As you said, a number of the subsidiaries are requiring vaccines for UK and med cruises, but that may be due more to getting approvals from host nations to start sailing.  Donald does seem to say that he sees a "distinction" in the lines under the parent umbrella, but it still remains that if there are outbreaks on Carnival ships because of no vaccines, it will impact not only Carnival, but all other cruise lines.  The industry could then be dead in the water.  I think he will eventually change his mind on vaccines when he sees that it may be the only road to approval for a restart.  It's pretty obvious that vaccines are going to be incorporated into the framework for conditional sailing restart.

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

It will be interesting to see what happens.  Arnold Donald came out last week and firmly stated that CCL Corp will not mandate vaccines for cruising from the US

Don't read more into it than he said - Corp won't mandate vaccines. What he didn't say was if individual cruise lines can mandate.

1 hour ago, Posesmom said:

Some of us healthy folks....ummm can't be financially incentivized to get vaccinated.  I don't believe I need it, I'm fairly young and in good health.  I had it once and survived just fine.  So yes I am just fine with proving I am negative and if I happen to have covid 19, I'm also fine cancelling and staying home so as not to affect the susceptible to it.  But as a fairly good customer am I comfortable with anyone telling me I have to take an unproven vaccine, no I am not. 

My wife and I are young (late 30s) and also very healthy. We agreed that we have no interest in getting vaccinated. It's not a political thing for us, nor are we "antivaxers". We are loyal to Carnival, and have two booked cruises coming up. No judgement for those who want to get vaccinated, but seriously hope that Carnival does not require them. If they do, they will be losing a lot of customers from Texas and Florida.

Here in Dallas, masks are only recommended when going out to restaurants and bars, they're rarely required. Life is essentially back to normal, and it's lovely.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Don't read more into it than he said - Corp won't mandate vaccines. What he didn't say was if individual cruise lines can mandate.

I would agree to an extent.  But it is clear that Carnival Cruises is not going to mandate them.  Christine Duffy was out last week saying just that.  We'll see what happens with the others.  What all of the cruise lines do will in fact impact the others if things go sideways.  I firmly believe that CCL, RCL and MSC are waiting for the CDC to wiggle the mandate into the restart approvals.  Not the most courageous approach from my perspective, but it may be a wash in the end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prismism said:

My wife and I are young (late 30s) and also very healthy. We agreed that we have no interest in getting vaccinated. It's not a political thing for us, nor are we "antivaxers". We are loyal to Carnival, and have two booked cruises coming up. No judgement for those who want to get vaccinated, but seriously hope that Carnival does not require them. If they do, they will be losing a lot of customers from Texas and Florida.

Here in Dallas, masks are only recommended when going out to restaurants and bars, they're rarely required. Life is essentially back to normal, and it's lovely.

Well stated.

4 minutes ago, Prismism said:

Why do individuals always think they are speaking for more than themselves? Nobody is irreplaceable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I would agree to an extent.  But it is clear that Carnival Cruises is not going to mandate them.  Christine Duffy was out last week saying just that.  We'll see what happens with the others.  What all of the cruise lines do will in fact impact the others if things go sideways.  I firmly believe that CCL, RCL and MSC are waiting for the CDC to wiggle the mandate into the restart approvals.  Not the most courageous approach from my perspective, but it may be a wash in the end.

Another well stated fact.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Posesmom said:

Some of us healthy folks....ummm can't be financially incentivized to get vaccinated.  I don't believe I need it, I'm fairly young and in good health.  I had it once and survived just fine.  So yes I am just fine with proving I am negative and if I happen to have covid 19, I'm also fine cancelling and staying home so as not to affect the susceptible to it.  But as a fairly good customer am I comfortable with anyone telling me I have to take an unproven vaccine, no I am not. 

Preach it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Prismism said:

Carnival may just have us fill out a questionnaire prior to boarding. Could be as simple as checking a box next to the question of "Have you been vaccinated?". My wife and I were on one of the last cruises in March 2020, and they had us check boxes on a form asking if we had visited China in the last three months, whether we had any symptoms, etc. They required zero proof of the legitimacy of our answers. I wouldn't be surprised if they did this for vaccinations.

scouts honor. 

46 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Agenda or what someone believes. If it's your belief, I'm not sure agenda is the right word.

God will protect me

Or my wife (who has major health issues) has not reacted well to vaccines in the past, we woildnt get it. I tried, my last words were maybe get a doctor to give you a 2nd opinion, and I refused to discuss it further. 

My experience is you cant change anyones mind. Doesnt matter what you say. I dont think the word agenda is completely right or fair. People have their own reasons.

Always trust in God. Agenda may not be the correct word here, not sure. Will give it more thought. All the best to wifey... Same here - unrelated health issues to covid should not effect a desire or decision to cruise. It doesn't matter to me if others wear masks or astronaut suits, get vaccinated or impregnated - it is their complete decision.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, embarkation75 said:

True but if you dont think at a minimum  unvaccinated individuals will be required to test for at least the first year after cruises resume, then I've got a cruise ticket for May 1st 2021 on the Mardi Gras to sell you! 😉

I have no intention of taking the vaccine,---(please don't waste your time trying to guilt or shame me--it won't work)---but I also have absolutely no problem with having to supply a neg Covid test prior to sailing and would gladly provide one if needed and pay out of my own pocket. I think it's a fair middle ground for all of us to start cruising again. 

I also have no problem waiting till 2023 to cruise again if that would be the case as well for unvaccinated travelers. As much as I love cruising, I can wait and do other things until then. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OceanZena said:

I have no intention of taking the vaccine,---(please don't waste your time trying to guilt or shame me--it won't work)---but I also have absolutely no problem with having to supply a neg Covid test prior to sailing and would gladly provide one if needed and pay out of my own pocket. I think it's a fair middle ground for all of us to start cruising again. 

I also have no problem waiting till 2023 to cruise again if that would be the case as well for unvaccinated travelers. As much as I love cruising, I can wait and do other things until then. 

What makes 2023 special? It might be a few more years. Or cruise lines might start again from the US with vaccinated cruisers and still go bankrupt. Oh well.

Just now, BlerkOne said:

If Carnival uses a simple questionnaire for proof of vaccine, they already know there will be a number of liars. The questionnaire will likely be tossed after the first covid case on the ship.

Then don't cruise w/Carnival. See how easy that is?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

What makes 2023 special? It might be a few more years. Or cruise lines might start again from the US with vaccinated cruisers and still go bankrupt. Oh well.

2023 was mentioned upthread so that's why I mentioned it. Heck, if it's 2025 i'm ok with that also. My point is that I can wait if necessary over taking the vaccine. 

• Like 1

Just now, OceanZena said:

2023 was mentioned upthread so that's why I mentioned it. Heck, if it's 2025 i'm ok with that also. My point is that I can wait if necessary over taking the vaccine. 

That's fine. My point was I'll do what is necessary to cruise ASAP. The cruising industry may still collapse before you get to cruise again.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

That's fine. My point was I'll do what is necessary to cruise ASAP. The cruising industry may still collapse before you get to cruise again.

Can you clarify what you mean by "collapsing"? I believe cruising will be around for a long time to come. I certainly don't see it disappearing. I think that's going overboard (pardon the pun). 

• Like 2

Just now, OceanZena said:

Can you clarify what you mean by "collapsing"? I believe cruising will be around for a long time to come. I certainly don't see it disappearing. I think that's going overboard (pardon the pun). 

I hope it is around for a long time. There are no guarantees and certainly no bailouts.

The cruise industry may go through considerable more downsizing in my opinion if it takes another year before we can cruise from the US. This could include more older ships going to the scrap yard. Please don't ask where I got my facts, it is just an opinion. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

The cruise industry may go through considerable more downsizing in my opinion if it takes another year before we can cruise from the US. This could include more older ships going to the scrap yard. Please don't ask where I got my facts, it is just an opinion. 

That's one possibility. In Carnival land, I can see possible mergers between some of the lines and less dependency on Americans.