Carnival’s CEO states that they will not require vaccinations

Prismism

Nobody has yet to pontificate what would potentially constitute as proof of vaccination when boarding. There is no nationwide database.. no official card.. no evidence beyond an easily forged piece of card stock. Even if an official vaccination ID card is developed between now and the resumption of cruising, how are all the millions of already vaccinated individuals going to go get this new ID after already having received the shot?

The logistics of this requirement are not feasible.

Edited by Prismism
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Prismism said:

Nobody has yet to pontificate what would potentially constitute as proof of vaccination when boarding. There is no nationwide database.. no official card.. no evidence beyond an easily forged piece of card stock. Even if an official vaccination ID card is developed between now and the resumption of cruising, how are all the millions of already vaccinated individuals going to go get this new ID after already having received the shot?

The logistics of this requirement are not feasible.

Wherever you got jabbed is supposed to keep records. But inputting many millions of records is a task and a half. Israel is a pioneer in covid ids.

At this point in time, I'd be much more inclined to sail on a line which requires that everyone (staff and guests) has been vaccinated. I received a final payment notice from Carnival just last night for our 8/7/21 Mardi Gras sailing. We have until 5/9 to pay the balance, but now in my mind I have two thoughts in this regard: #1 (the old standard) WILL IT SAIL? and, #2 Do we want to risk being on a ship that has an outbreak? Let's face it - nowadays even a couple of cases on a ship would likely cause a big impact!

We got our vaccination in January (who knows, perhaps a booster will be in our future) and thus I feel that we're not at significant risk as far as contracting it from someone else, but we're also a much lower risk to others - in terms of spreading it.

It just seems a safer approach for the time being - especially since there's a fair number of people who, for a myriad or reasons/excuses, are not likely to get vaccinated. With enough of those individuals on a ship, you stand a higher chance of getting caught up in a media circus quarantined ship... no thanks! It would not take many of those events to set everything back (return to normal cruising) even further. 

Tom

14 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

At this point in time, I'd be much more inclined to sail on a line which requires that everyone (staff and guests) has been vaccinated. I received a final payment notice from Carnival just last night for our 8/7/21 Mardi Gras sailing. We have until 5/9 to pay the balance, but now in my mind I have two thoughts in this regard: #1 (the old standard) WILL IT SAIL? and, #2 Do we want to risk being on a ship that has an outbreak? Let's face it - nowadays even a couple of cases on a ship would likely cause a big impact!

We got our vaccination in January (who knows, perhaps a booster will be in our future) and thus I feel that we're not at significant risk as far as contracting it from someone else, but we're also a much lower risk to others - in terms of spreading it.

It just seems a safer approach for the time being - especially since there's a fair number of people who, for a myriad or reasons/excuses, are not likely to get vaccinated. With enough of those individuals on a ship, you stand a higher chance of getting caught up in a media circus quarantined ship... no thanks! It would not take many of those events to set everything back (return to normal cruising) even further. 

Tom

Nobody has the answers right now but, I'd ask Carnival for an extension of the final payment date. Just for the fact that it has been stated it will take them up to 90 days to ramp up their return to cruising. An extension will buy you time to see if 8/7 is cancelled before you tie up your money.

11 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Wherever you got jabbed is supposed to keep records. But inputting many millions of records is a task and a half. Israel is a pioneer in covid ids.

Carnival may just have us fill out a questionnaire prior to boarding. Could be as simple as checking a box next to the question of "Have you been vaccinated?". My wife and I were on one of the last cruises in March 2020, and they had us check boxes on a form asking if we had visited China in the last three months, whether we had any symptoms, etc. They required zero proof of the legitimacy of our answers. I wouldn't be surprised if they did this for vaccinations.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Prismism said:

Carnival may just have us fill out a questionnaire prior to boarding. Could be as simple as checking a box next to the question of "Have you been vaccinated?". My wife and I were on one of the last cruises in March 2020, and they had us check boxes on a form asking if we had visited China in the last three months, whether we had any symptoms, etc. They required zero proof of the legitimacy of our answers. I wouldn't be surprised if they did this for vaccinations.

Me either, unfortunately. The honor system only goes so far ("Trust, but verify")

27 minutes ago, Prismism said:

This is a very good point. Carnival has always handled matters in this way and will most likely continue unless forced. Have you been exposed to a sick person or been sick has always been just a mark on a form. I joked about it years ago, who would answer honestly knowing about having what they think is a cold if it might mean missing a vacation with no refund. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Prismism said:

I remember a time when they asked health questions and your answers would effect whether or not you were allowed to board.  You still got to pay for the cruise though and I thought what a silly set of questions.  

• Like 2

This thread is chock full of "this could happen, maybe, this might happen, perhaps, inclined to believe, etc" when it comes to covid and cruising. Why? 

Most on here are adamant about mandating masks & vaccines (as related to covid) for those others than themselves, but for what reason(s) exactly? 

How about a perspective check that we can all learn from? 

1. What will covid vaccines ABSOLUTELY do for us while onboard?
  2. What will covid vaccines ABSOLUTELY prevent from happening while onboard?
  3. What will masks (any mask) ABSOLUTELY do for us while onboard?
  4. What will masks (any mask) ABSOLUTELY prevent from happening while onboard?
  5. IF vaccines are required for all passengers & crew; should masks be required? Why?
  6. Am I 100% guaranteed not to catch covid on a ship if masks & vaccines are mandatory for all? Why?
  7. What is everyone most worried about concerning covid and sailing? Death? Sickness? What?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruiseracer said:

This thread is chock full of "this could happen, maybe, this might happen, perhaps, inclined to believe, etc" when it comes to covid and cruising. Why? 

Most on here are adamant about mandating masks & vaccines (as related to covid) for those others than themselves, but for what reason(s) exactly? 

5. IF vaccines are required for all passengers & crew; should masks be required? Why?
  6. Am I 100% guaranteed not to catch covid on a ship if masks & vaccines are mandatory for all? Why?
  7. What is everyone most worried about concerning covid and sailing? Death? Sickness? What?

6 minutes ago, cruiseracer said:

Very well put!    in perspective.  

1. Covid vaccines would absolutely limit the spread of Covid19

2. nothing

3 make some people feel safe

4 nothing

5 nope

6 nope

7 You said everyone but can answer only for me -  Death and severe illness.  I also don't what to die or get real sick with the flu, a cold, or novo.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, cruiseracer said:

Listen, for anybody that thinks just because Carnival says they won't require vaccinations that it will just be back to showing your passport and boarding pass, then away you go...are completely dillusional. You can expect much different boarding procedure's for at least a full year after resumption of cruising (i.e., at least through fall of 2022).

Nobody, and I mean nobody in the cruise industry (including those sailing elsewhere) have said or currently follow the old boarding process as the path for unvaccinated people to get on a ship while not impossible, will contain significantly more risk of being denied boarding via multiple tests while vaccinated folks will see a significantly easier path. If you are unvaccinated and are willing to take 10-14 days off from work/school before the cruise, do not use any air or public transportation to get to the port, and do not participate in large group gatherings (e.g., no church, public dining, etc..) then you have a good chance of getting onboard. Although my family is vaccinated, I have zero concern interacting with those types of unvaccinated individuals.

However, since many in this unvaccinated group also tend to be covid deniers that have spent the last year doing the opposite of this with numerous potential exposure events (odds are high they got covid), I highly doubt they will do all of these quarantine type actions (e.g., "it's mah rights to do what I want" ). Many of these folks will fail tests and throw tantrums when they are not allowed to board. If you fall into this category, then I wouldn't book a cruise until 2023 or later.

Edited by embarkation75
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, embarkation75 said:

Listen, for anybody that thinks just because Carnival says they won't require vaccinations that it will just be back to showing your passport and boarding pass, then away you go...are completely dillusional. You can expect much different boarding procedure's for at least a full year after resumption of cruising (i.e., at least through fall of 2022).

Nobody, and I mean nobody in the cruise industry (including those sailing elsewhere) have said or currently follow the old boarding process as the path for unvaccinated people to get on a ship while not impossible, will contain significantly more risk of being denied boarding via multiple tests while vaccinated folks will see a significantly easier path. If you are unvaccinated and are willing to take 10-14 days off from work/school before the cruise, do not use any air or public transportation to get to the port, and do not participate in large group gatherings (e.g., no church, public dining, etc..) then you have a good chance of getting onboard. Although my family is vaccinated, I have zero concern interacting with those types of unvaccinated individuals.

However, since many in this unvaccinated group also tend to be covid deniers that have spent the last year doing the opposite of this with numerous potential exposure events (odds are high they got covid), I highly doubt they will do all of these quarantine type actions (e.g., "it's mah rights to do what I want" ). Many of these folks will fail tests and throw tantrums when they are not allowed to board. If you fall into this category, then I wouldn't book a cruise until 2023 or later.

Not sure which question(s) you answered - but hey, thank you for sharing your opinion.😀

50 minutes ago, cruiseracer said:

To ask for absolutes is not realistic nor reasonable. Death and taxes come to mind (and apparently not everyone is subject to item #2 )!

Tom

I'm recalling some issues I've witnessed onboard security has had with people in the past. Now I'm picturing them trying to get some inebriated selfish anti-masker to get them to wear a mask.

It's going to be, let us just say, a sad situation...

Tom

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseracer said:

Not sure which question(s) you answered - but hey, thank you for sharing your opinion.😀

Just reminding the dillusional folks that regardless of Carnival's vaccine policy, nobody believes (Carnival included) that it is going back to the old boarding process for sometime. If unvaccinated folks want to roll the dice on their cruise $$$ investment and refuse to follow any pre-cruise quarantine, then they are in for a rough road ahead as their vaccinated friends find a much easier path to boarding. I support somebody's right not to be vaccinated but private companies such as Carnival (CDC will mandate much of this anyway) also have the right to make unvaccinated folks jump through more hurdles before boarding in order to avoid a covid meltdown onboard.

• Like 1

There are no guaranties in life. You don't need rigged questions to validate alien ideas. The better questions are what does science say provides the best chance of a successful cruise. People afraid of the vaccine or a little inconvenience can stay home.

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm recalling some issues I've witnessed onboard security has had with people in the past. Now I'm picturing them trying to get some inebriated selfish anti-masker to get them to wear a mask.

Tom

I can see the Cheers program being suspended and a number of lifetime bans. Carnival doesn't need anarchy - they need a stable, safe environment on the ships to stay afloat.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

11 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

To ask for absolutes is not realistic nor reasonable. Death and taxes come to mind (and apparently not everyone is subject to item #2 )!

Tom

if there are no absolutes, nothing is really objectively right or wrong, is it?

5 minutes ago, stellarose said:

so on Sal's you tube video today ALL , ALL lines are requiring a vaccine.  CCL may need to rethink 

This is why all signs point toward the process for unvaccinated individuals to board being a major challenge. It largely allows Carnival to maintain no passenger vaccine mandate yet effectively eliminates those thinking they can do whatever they want and still board the ship. For those unvaccinated individuals willing to clear all of the tests/hurdles, reward them with boarding.