Carnival’s CEO states that they will not require vaccinations

Prismism

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Why would they (NCL or any other cruise line) not be legally able to mandate vaccinations for sailing on their cruises?

For cruises from the US, some politicians, in an unabashed power grab, are saying so. It may.be up to the courts to decide, which will take time.

1 minute ago, regoodwinjr said:

Not being able to take a vaccine because of a disabilty certainly is covered by the ADA.

There will be a few exceptions, but there are other safeguards such as face shields which can mitigate some risk. Cruise lines are not subject to the full ADA.

On 4/14/2021 at 6:37 PM, Seany527 said:

Royal and NCL cruisers who don’t want the vax, but want to cruise will be looking for a place to go and CCL will be welcoming them with open arms. 

And.......so will Covid. Good luck with that!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

For cruises from the US, some politicians, in an unabashed power grab, are saying so. It may.be up to the courts to decide, which will take time.

A vaccine requirment from one of the ports would take it out of the US courts and allow the companies to sail with vaccinated passengers with little blowback.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 7:23 PM, quickrate said:

Please understand I am not against the vaccine or for it. But, you do realize even with the vaccine, you can still catch covid , so anyone could be that passenger in your scenario. Get a vaccine and you still need to wear a mask, social distance, and carrier.

Pat

Big difference is the vaccinated person who catches Covid on board will not become sick with severe symptoms requiring advanced ICU care. That right there is the reason all passengers and crew should be vaccinated to cruise on any line.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

A vaccine requirment from one of the ports would take it out of the US courts and allow the companies to sail with vaccinated passengers with little blowback.

I would welcome that, but the cruise line would still have to deny boarding to unvaccinated people in a US port and I think  some sue happy party or politician would still try it in court.

On 4/14/2021 at 8:34 PM, BlerkOne said:

There are no guarantees - the next time you fly, the plane could crash and sometimes they do, but they try their best to mitigate the risks. I prefer if they try to mitigate all of the risks and not just some.

The more precautions you take, the better your odds of not catching or passing on.

Yes, you could still get Covid if vaccinated, but your odds of catching go way down.

Your odds of dying from Covid go way down also......like almost nil.

On 4/14/2021 at 8:49 PM, TNcruising02 said:

..............Since the virus can go right through a mask, that really gave people a very false sense of security. ..........

Agree, the virus is small enough to go right through a mask. But.......the virus does not travel on its own. THOUSANDS of virus particles MUST "hitch a ride" on droplets and aerosols. It is those aerosols and droplets that get blocked by masks, even those light weight surgical masks. This is why masks are extremely effective as source control but not nearly as effective for protection. This is the science and has been proven with infra red cameras. Go to YouTube to see for yourself. There are plenty of videos which demonstrate the science for your eyes to see.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Agree, the virus is small enough to go right through a mask. But.......the virus does not travel on its own. THOUSANDS of virus particles MUST "hitch a ride" on droplets and aerosols. It is those aerosols and droplets that get blocked by masks, even those light weight surgical masks. This is why masks are extremely effective as source control but not nearly as effective for protection. This is the science and has been proven with infra red cameras. Go to YouTube to see for yourself. There are plenty of videos which demonstrate the science for your eyes to see.

That is also assuming everyone is constantly wearing one correctly.  I was at a restaurant where they make the sandwiches in front of you.  The person making the sandwich was wearing a mask and gloves.  However, her gloved hands were all over her mask adjusting it.  Then she went back to making the food.  Gross.  I've seen people put them under their noses.  They take them on and off for various reasons.  They are the biggest false sense of security ever.  It accomplishes so little when staying 6 feet or more away from someone and avoiding small, crowded indoor areas for any length of time is much safer.

The masks are a joke to me.  This is just my opinion and I know some people feel so strongly that masks would end this pandemic.  It's ok for people to have different opinions.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

That is also assuming everyone is constantly wearing one correctly.  I was at a restaurant where they make the sandwiches in front of you.  The person making the sandwich was wearing a mask and gloves.  However, her gloved hands were all over her mask adjusting it.  Then she went back to making the food.  Gross.  I've seen people put them under their noses.  They take them on and off for various reasons.  They are the biggest false sense of security ever.  It accomplishes so little when staying 6 feet or more away from someone and avoiding small, crowded indoor areas for any length of time is much safer.

The masks are a joke to me.  This is just my opinion and I know some people feel so strongly that masks would end this pandemic.  It's ok for people to have different opinions.

Agreed.  And I bet that the cruise ships will allow you to remove them when you eat and drink. And what do we do a lot of on a cruise..... eat and drink.  There is going to be a lot of resistance to mask mandates.  Look all over the nation.  There is more and more push back.  I walked into a hotel 2 weeks ago to check in.  Big sign said , we require masks.  THere were 3 people in front of me checking in.  I had my mask on and yet I am vaccinated.  The 3 werent even carrying a mask.  And a whole family walking out of the hotel , thru the line, and only one had a mask on.  This will be very interesting on board.  

1 hour ago, regoodwinjr said:

Not being able to take a vaccine because of a disabilty certainly is covered by the ADA.

I do not believe that this issue is as cut and dried as you maintain. Look at K5 in the following:

What You Should Know About COVID-19 and the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and Other EEO Laws | U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (eeoc.gov)

No doubt part of the safety drill for toddlers will include instruction on how to properly wear a mask with, like life jackets, an ample supply of effective masks at embarkation and in cabins.

You will probably have to be seated at socially distanced tables when eating and drinking - none of the constantly walking around with sippy cups.

By the time cruising restarts in the US the cruise lines will have seen and heard all the excuses and will be prepared for the trouble makers.

• Like 1

Without vaccination proof as a requirement for cruising on Carnival I want to cancel our one booked Carnival cruise for Jan. 2022. However, we are conflicted as it's all paid for with future cruise credits from 4 cancelled cruises and we have $800 in OBC.I guess we will wait to see what happens and if there are Covid outbreaks on Carnival ships due to the CEO's shortsighted and dangerous decision, we will cancel for sure. His decision is a political one not one made for concern for our health and safety. He seems to be getting his vaccination information from the Facebook medical school, not from the CDC scientists and physicians.

My main concern is that we have 4 Holland America cruises booked and worry that HAL will have to follow suit with the lack of vaccination proof for sailing as it is part of Carnival Corp. Maybe HAL can make its own vaccination requirement as we fit the HAL demographic much more than the Carnival demographic.

53 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

My main concern is that we have 4 Holland America cruises booked and worry that HAL will have to follow suit with the lack of vaccination proof for sailing as it is part of Carnival Corp. Maybe HAL can make its own vaccination requirement as we fit the HAL demographic much more than the Carnival demographic.

5 out of the 9 divisions of Carnival Corporation will be sailing this summer and all of them will be requiring vaccines.  Because of the older skewed demographic of HAL, I believe that your apprehension will be eliminated because vaccines will be required.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

5 out of the 9 divisions of Carnival Corporation will be sailing this summer and all of them will be requiring vaccines.  Because of the older skewed demographic of HAL, I believe that your apprehension will be eliminated because vaccines will be required.

I have cruises booked on Princess and HAL (and Carnival) and haven't found any information to indicate they will require vaccines, and they need to declare something soon  or I'll start cancelling cruises for a change.

On 4/15/2021 at 9:26 AM, asalligo said:

There is no data on this yet and I still would never take a vaccination for a virus that has a .03% death rate for my age bracket. .03% death rate! I have a much higher risk of dying while I drunken kite fish for tiger sharks every weekend as me and my Florida friends always do. RIP Nathan. 

Seriously though, people have been sending me reports of deaths from the vaccine for months and they were just being ignored. Healthy people dropping dead four hours after a vaccine is no coincidence. My wife came home from a mammogram yesterday and they asked her if she had gotten the vaccine and she said no and they said good and handed her a flyer from the Society of Breast Imaging which says there appears to be early results of malignancy rates higher than 56% in recent vaccinated women. This was a known issue in Flu vaccines, but only at .04%. They did not say not to take it, they just presented their data.    

Which vaccine was this study done for?

9 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

MSC currently only has one ship sailing in Europe. They seem to think they will restart US cruising in July. We'll see.

But at this point they are the only current line not requiring vaccinations and that is why I responded to on the web with MSC  as a possible line to satisfy those that want a line not requiring vaccines if Carnival changes their possible stance.

On 4/15/2021 at 9:26 AM, asalligo said:

........Seriously though, people have been sending me reports of deaths from the vaccine for months and they were just being ignored. Healthy people dropping dead four hours after a vaccine is no coincidence. ......   

And yet, the J&J vaccine has been paused because one person died of blood clots and 6 others developed blood clots. If people have been dropping dead as you say, why hasn't there been a pause for the other vaccines too? I do not believe what you say is true.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I have cruises booked on Princess and HAL (and Carnival) and haven't found any information to indicate they will require vaccines, and they need to declare something soon  or I'll start cancelling cruises for a change.

Don't know anything about HAL and they were not one of the five that I knew were cruising.  The Princess cruise vaccine requirement would not pertain to you since it was the UK sailings this summer that are restricted to UK residents.  The others would be P&O, AIDA, Costa and Seaborne. 

5 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

And yet, the J&J vaccine has been paused because one person died of blood clots and 6 others developed blood clots. If people have been dropping dead as you say, why hasn't there been a pause for the other vaccines too? I do not believe what you say is true.

Hey there coffeebean.  Not sure if you are kidding or making a point.  It is strange that they paused J and J for 6 blood clots and i death and we have had blood clots and deaths with other vaccines.   There are a lot of links out there. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I think it's a hoax. Healthy people sometimes drop dead after sex, sometimes during. So what?

20 minutes ago, mredandchis said:

Hey there coffeebean.  Not sure if you are kidding or making a point.  It is strange that they paused J and J for 6 blood clots and i death and we have had blood clots and deaths with other vaccines.   There are a lot of links out there. 

There are links that covid can cause blot clots, heart attacks, and stokes.

Here is one

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/what-does-covid-do-to-your-blood

Look for the J&J pause to be lifted within a week or so, with perhaps a warning label.