Carnival’s CEO states that they will not require vaccinations

Prismism

14 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I can see the Cheers program being suspended and a number of lifetime bans. Carnival doesn't need anarchy - they need a stable, safe environment on the ships to stay afloat.

You can see?  do you also see mermaids?  I spoke to a crew member that was in charge of safety on board.  He said the Cheers program was the major cause of safety issues that he had to report on.  I asked why not stop the Cheers program then?  he said as long as other lines offered it Carnival was going to also offer it.  Plus it was a source of revenue.  And when in doubt , just follow the money.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mredandchis said:

You can see?  do you also see mermaids?  I spoke to a crew member that was in charge of safety on board.  He said the Cheers program was the major cause of safety issues that he had to report on.  I asked why not stop the Cheers program then?  he said as long as other lines offered it Carnival was going to also offer it.  Plus it was a source of revenue.  And when in doubt , just follow the money.  

You would think with Cheers being limited that people not on Cheers and no limit would cause more issues. 

15 minutes ago, mredandchis said:

Seeing mermaids might occur with someone who had been overserved.

Carnival will have no choice but to report Covid cases to the CDC. Which do you think will cost them more? Canceled cruises or suspending Cheers?

In any event, I said suspended, not eliminated. And that assumes Carnival can fool the judge that they will never, ever pollute again.

2 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

You would think with Cheers being limited that people not on Cheers and no limit would cause more issues. 

It would generate more revenue, and with or without Cheers, Carnival can refuse to serve anyone.

22 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It would generate more revenue, and with or without Cheers, Carnival can refuse to serve anyone.

I wasn't talking about revenue. I was referring to the comment that people with Cheers cause the most safety issues. The people I have seen that cause the most issues are the ones who sit by the pool all day ordering bucket after bucket of beer. 

There is no way Carnival or any other cruise line is going to mandate 2 different boarding process for the unvaccinated and vaccinated.  Saying a cruise line is going to require a 14 day quarantine prior to boarding is ridiculous.  They will either require a vaccine or not.  They may also require everyone be tested prior to boarding including the vaccinated.  

8 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

I wasn't talking about revenue. I was referring to the comment that people with Cheers cause the most safety issues. The people I have seen that cause the most issues are the ones who sit by the pool all day ordering bucket after bucket of beer. 

I was killing two birds with one stone.

30 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Seeing mermaids might occur with someone who had been overserved.

Carnival will have no choice but to report Covid cases to the CDC. Which do you think will cost them more? Canceled cruises or suspending Cheers?

In any event, I said suspended, not eliminated. And that assumes Carnival can fool the judge that they will never, ever pollute again.

You have gone from incidences of inebriated individuals having issues with masks , to cancelled cruises.  I can see that a person may be shut off, heck I have seen it happen many a time but "suspending" the Cheers program is only wishful thinking on your part.   And as for reporting to the bureaucrats at the CDC, they have not come out with any guidance as to what is acceptable or not.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mredandchis said:

And as for reporting to the bureaucrats at the CDC, they have not come out with any guidance as to what is acceptable or not.  

Now who is swimming with mermaids? Cruise lines have to report noro cases over a certain threshold to the CDC, Covid is going to be no different except with a lower threshold. Cruise lines and cruise ships will have records for all to see. Your obsession with the CDC is irrelevant.

40 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

There is no way Carnival or any other cruise line is going to mandate 2 different boarding process for the unvaccinated and vaccinated.  Saying a cruise line is going to require a 14 day quarantine prior to boarding is ridiculous.  They will either require a vaccine or not.  They may also require everyone be tested prior to boarding including the vaccinated.  

I didn't say that was Carnival's policy but rather what may be necessary for unvaccinated individuals to guarantee they board the ship. I concur that just mandating vaccination is the easiest and least risky path. Whether Carnival does this is open to debate but there are ways to essentially discourage unvaccinated folks from cruising since it would contain significant more risk of being denied boarding.

What I do see happening is a different level of testing and critic of individuals depending on vaccination. This is where the rapid tests will become the norm for vaccinated individuals since these tests are good at detecting high viral loads and highly infectious individuals but largely ignores low viral loads. Since anybody (vaccinated or not) could ingest a low viral load, the RT-PCR tests are unnecessary for vaccinated individuals since the vaccine triggered immune response is designed to quickly eliminate further growth and resultant spread. In the rare instance a vaccinated individual triggers a positive test (very unlikely with a rapid test), the cruiseline simply checks for symptoms and then allow them to board upon passing the symptoms check.

In contrast unvaccinated folks will likely still be required to provide both a RT-PCR test days in advance along with a rapid test the day of embarkation. If they fail either test, then I'd put money on them not being allowed to board.

Edited by embarkation75
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Anyone who thinks cruising from the US going forward will be the same as cruising pre-Covid needs to be drug tested.

Exactly! The path for vaccinated individuals is so much easier to clearly define. In contrast the path for unvaccinated folks is murky at best with significant risk for denial of boarding (not impossible if they are willing to make personal sacrifices prior to cruising, although I sure haven't seen that from folks in that camp the last year).

Edited by embarkation75
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Now who is swimming with mermaids? Cruise lines have to report noro cases over a certain threshold to the CDC, Covid is going to be no different except with a lower threshold. Cruise lines and cruise ships will have records for all to see. Your obsession with the CDC is irrelevant.

And they still haven't come out with any guidance yet. 

35 minutes ago, stellarose said:

look Europe is sailing.  

limited capacity

vaccinated

social distances

good protocols. 

lets sail!!!!

I would even say it's even a coin-flip if vaccinated individuals even do a rapid test besides a basic symptom check (e.g., temp check) and then on to the ship they go.  Would reduce cost/time of doing rapid tests on everybody. Sure it might promote a few fake vaccination cards but most of the people I've met that refuse to get the vaccine are a bit arrogant and think this all is a hoax to where they are the types that think they can walk right onto the ship without providing a single piece of testing or vaccination proof. Those people are in for a rude awakening.

Edited by embarkation75

I would say Carnival's final policy on vaccinated vs unvaccinated will look very similar to their river cruise friends policy...

https://www.americancruiselines.com/account/covid-19-operating-protocol

"Fully vaccinated guests are not required to obtain a COVID-19 test prior to travelling to the ship and will be asked to present proof of the vaccine (i.e. vaccination card) at time of boarding. A guest is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last recommended dose of vaccine.

Guests who are not fully vaccinated must take a COVID-19 test within 4 days of the start of their cruise package. Only molecular test results (such as a NAAT or PCR test) will be accepted. Guests are asked to submit their test results to American Cruise Lines at healthsafety@americancruiselines.com and present the result at the time of boarding".

By requiring a NAAT or PCR test for unvaccinated, it basically is a way to see how "active/careful" people are in the preceeding weeks as it is very sensitive to people infected potentially weeks prior. 

The more I read this, the more I'm betting minus a mandatory vaccination requirement, this is what onboarding will look like for vaccinated vs unvaccinated individuals.

Edited by embarkation75
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, embarkation75 said:

I would say Carnival's final policy on vaccinated vs unvaccinated will look very similar to their river cruise friends policy...

Indeed, that may play out that way.

This might be another way in how the cruise lines could go about it:

"The PGA Tour is telling its players they will not have to be tested for the coronavirus if they are vaccinated, and those who aren’t will have to pay for their own tests starting this summer."

So if you are not vaccinated, please step over here and pay this fee for that test.  And be prepared to do it again in three/four days, and again when you debark.

It might, um, financially incentivize those waffling about getting vaccinated to do so - less out of pocket, less hassle, less time wasted.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I can see the Cheers program being suspended and a number of lifetime bans. Carnival doesn't need anarchy - they need a stable, safe environment on the ships to stay afloat.

So, you think that suspending the Cheers program will provide a stable, safe environment?  How about just making everyone get vaccinated?  And lifetime bans about what?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So if you are not vaccinated, please step over here and pay this fee for that test.  And be prepared to do it again in three/four days, and again when you debark.

It might, um, financially incentivize those waffling about getting vaccinated to do so - less out of pocket, less hassle, less time wasted.

This would be a great solution to hit those that don't wish to be vaccinated in the wallet. 

Another idea that the government should have done was tie in the recent $1,400 payments with the vaccines, no jab, no payment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Indeed, that may play out that way.

This might be another way in how the cruise lines could go about it:

"The PGA Tour is telling its players they will not have to be tested for the coronavirus if they are vaccinated, and those who aren’t will have to pay for their own tests starting this summer."

Indeed! As I mentioned earlier in this thread, anybody that thinks Carnival at a minimum won't have something very similar to the American Cruiselines policy that technically doesn't mandate a vaccination but indirectly is mandating it by making it easy for vaccinated and difficult for unvaccinated, is living in fantasyland!

• Like 1