Carnival’s CEO states that they will not require vaccinations

Prismism

16 minutes ago, Marlowe8 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/21/health/vaccine-nursing-homes-infections.html

Here is a documented case where an unvaccinated person passed the virus to people who have been vaccinated.   We have 2 Carnival cruises booked for the winter but will cancel if vaccines are not required.

I saw this yesterday and immediately thought of a cruise ship scenario. The good news is that the overwhelming majority (nearly all) who were vaccinated were asymptomatic or had very minor symptoms. This is encouraging and a bright spot IMO. The one death was sad but who knows what condition the person was in, it was a nursing home after all so hardly representative of your average cruise group. Encouraging odds I can live with. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

...The one death was sad but who knows what condition the person was in, it was a nursing home after all so hardly representative of your average cruise group. ... 

I'm not sure sure - I was on a Thanksgiving cruise one time (I was probably 50 at the time) and I felt like I could have called a lot of them grandpa/ma!  YIKES !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm not sure sure - I was on a Thanksgiving cruise one time (I was probably 50 at the time) and I felt like I could have called a lot of them grandpa/ma!  YIKES !

Lol, grandma/grandpa is one thing, nursing home old is another. Then again, people are totally fine excluding kids so maybe just put a age cap on cruisers (say no one over 70) "just temporarily" to get things going (as many like to espouse). Goose/gander and all that. 😁

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Marlowe8 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/21/health/vaccine-nursing-homes-infections.html

Here is a documented case where an unvaccinated person passed the virus to people who have been vaccinated.   We have 2 Carnival cruises booked for the winter but will cancel if vaccines are not required.

23 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

7 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Lol, grandma/grandpa is one thing, nursing home old is another. Then again, people are totally fine excluding kids so maybe just put a age cap on cruisers (say no one over 70) "just temporarily" to get things going (as many like to espouse). Goose/gander and all that. 😁

Look first off a nursing home is NOT a cruise ship.  Let the NYT start their propaganda.  

And I was on a cruise ship doing the Panama canal and there were a lot of people that even called me "Sonnie" and I was 60.  

I feel like banning children and/or the elderly is completely wrong.   No 2 people are alike.  Cruise lines have been sailing in other parts of the world during the pandemic and there was no vaccine and they did it well.  The vaccine is a game changer and we know that to start of cruising the lines will use their methodology that they have been using, Medical grade masks and all.   Then they will slowly back off as they see fit.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mredandchis said:

Look first off a nursing home is NOT a cruise ship. ...

In the lounge outside the MDR there was a POLKA BAND on the first longer (10 night) Celebrity cruise we took. Trust me when I tell you, it was appropriate for the crowd. Fortunately, I've seen the demographics shift - and the vibe pick up - on Celebrity over the following dozen+ years.

Tom

43 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

I was taught at a young age to look both ways before crossing!

🙂

And if you are ever in London (where they drive on the "wrong" side of the street), you will see signs at pedestrian crossing that say look both ways.

14 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

In the lounge outside the MDR there was a POLKA BAND on the first longer (10 night) Celebrity cruise we took. Trust me when I tell you, it was appropriate for the crowd. Fortunately, I've seen the demographics shift - and the vibe pick up - on Celebrity over the following dozen+ years.

Tom

My cruise was on Holland America,  bingo in the morning , bingo in the afternoon and super bingo in the evening,   There were a lot of walkers and wheel chairs.  But these people were not living in nursing homes.  Been to several nursing homes with my mother and it was much different than that Holland America cruise. 

54 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

LOL . . . I'm almost 82 and a Great Grandparent . . . so, I wonder how I fit into this scenario. I've been vaccinated and amazed at those that resist, but that's their business. With near 96% efficacy I'll be comfortable around those that choose to pass on the jab. (which, incidentally, is absolutely painless and costs nothing) ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, glrounds said:

LOL . . . I'm almost 82 and a Great Grandparent . . . so, I wonder how I fit into this scenario. I've been vaccinated and amazed at those that resist, but that's their business. With near 96% efficacy I'll be comfortable around those that choose to pass on the jab. (which, incidentally, is absolutely painless and costs nothing) ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I'm thinking that they should have offered another stimulus check of some type for those willing to take one for the team!  😉

(Hey Gary!)

Tom

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Carnival has a much different crowd than Celebrity. Some old old timers seek out the sleepier lines, Carnival is as far away as you can get from the sleepy lines. Waaaay different demographic and much younger average age overall. Plenty of older folks but not a senior cruise dominant like other lines, the age demographic runs the gamut from small kids to elderly but middle age seems to dominate IMO.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marlowe8 said:

We have 2 Carnival cruises booked for the winter but will cancel if vaccines are not required.

Speak with your wallet and book with RCI, NCL, X, Princess, basically every line except Carnival and MSC.  Policies have not yet been determined on US embarking cruises, but based on current trends and the voice of idiot Arnold Donald the above hypothesis should be true.

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm thinking that they should have offered another stimulus check of some type for those willing to take one for the team!  😉

(Hey Gary!)

Tom

Full agreement with you Tom.  I said at least twice on different threads that the last check of 1400 should have had the vaccine attached to it.

21 minutes ago, cruiseracer said:

Nice try! We've been looking at Euro-cruises for a year now. Repositioning too. Princess is free to implement any requirements they choose - we are free to react as we see fit. Princess UK is not a good fit for us due to their political position. 

Did not taking the vaccine effect your brain?  Look at all of the Euro cruises and repositioning cruises that you want.  The current policy on the Princess UK cruises is that you need to be vaccinated and you have to live in the UK.  This was also previously mentioned by another poster and confirmed by a third poster in this thread.

By the way, what exactly is the "political position" of Princess cruises?

EDIT...Your post was 590, it was mentioned again on 593 & 597.

DOUBLE EDIT..I see that cruiseracer edited out their previous post after he/she realized they were wrong.   Guess I'll have to hold my breath to be educated about the political stance of Princess.

Edited by SNJCruisers

4 hours ago, mredandchis said:
5 hours ago, volfan22701 said:

If you are standing in a room with 1000 people and no one in the room has covid , is there a risk?  

I thought of that during the early days of the pandemic when I was told to wear both a mask and gloves to protect myself.  We wiped down the groceries and i place my clothing into the washer and then showered upon my return.  Then I thought if no one in the store had covid, what am I doing?  Since then I have changed.  No more gloves, no more wiping everything down,  just basic precautions. 

Now even the CDC says if a family gets together and everyone is vaccinated there is no need for masks.  How large a family is that limited to. 

It seems to me that you have made the case for vaccine passports.

30 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Did not taking the vaccine effect your brain?  Look at all of the Euro cruises and repositioning cruises that you want.  The current policy on the Princess UK cruises is that you need to be vaccinated and you have to live in the UK.  This was also previously mentioned by another poster and confirmed by a third poster in this thread.

Princess requires vaccines on the UK cruises because that is what their customers want. If for any reason you can't be vaccinated (age, risk, whatever), no cruising for you, currently.

Other nations don't have the aversion to being vaccinated that some in the US do, not to mention healthcare for their citizens. Cruising in other countries really can't be compared to cruising in the US.

On 4/20/2021 at 9:54 PM, SNJCruisers said:

You are right,  but the best chance of a breakout not happening is on a 100% vaccinated ship, like NCL is requiring.  The second best chance is on a 100% adult vaccinated/child negative ship like RCI and Celebrity are requiring.  The third best would be on a ship consisting of vaccinated as well as negative tested cruisers,  like Carnival may propose.

The percentage differences could be slight,  but the hierarchy I set forth really can't be disputed, but I'm sure some of the anti vaxxers will try to spin doctor things.

I disagree...  as I said, even with the vaccine, you can still CARRY the virus onto the ship - it can still spread to others WHO ALSO HAVE THE VACCINE, because you can still contract the virus with the vaccine.  Your symptoms may be less severe (MAYBE) but you'll still have it.  There can still be a breakout on board.  Why would there be less of a chance with 100% vaccinated folks on board when any or all of them could be carrying the virus?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, angelsfort said:

I disagree...  as I said, even with the vaccine, you can still CARRY the virus onto the ship - it can still spread to others WHO ALSO HAVE THE VACCINE, because you can still contract the virus with the vaccine.  Your symptoms may be less severe (MAYBE) but you'll still have it.  There can still be a breakout on board.  Why would there be less of a chance with 100% vaccinated folks on board when any or all of them could be carrying the virus?

As I have said before, the anti vaxxers, which you're a proud card carrying member of, are on one side of the line in the sand and those who have been vaccinated are on the other. 

We have the option of cruising on any cruise line that we wish.  You might have the option on Carnival and MSC, once policies have been formulated. 

All other back and forth bickering doesn't mean a thing. 

46 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

By the way, what exactly is the "political position" of Princess cruises?

EDIT...Your post was 590, it was mentioned again on 593 & 597.

DOUBLE EDIT..I see that cruiseracer edited out their previous post after he/she realized they were wrong.   Guess I'll have to hold my breath to be educated about the political stance of Princess.

I'm happy to clear this up for you. ANY cruiseline company can implement ANY requirement they choose, regardless of race, location, planet... At that point; it becomes my choice to purchase or not. Is that clear enough for you?

• Like 2