Carnival’s CEO states that they will not require vaccinations

Prismism

1 hour ago, embarkation75 said:

I come here to talk cruising and associated policies that connect to cruising. There is likely nothing I can say to convince the various anti-vaxxers posting here to get the covid shot anymore than they can tell the vaccinated they are doing something wrong. Fine if you want to remain unvaccinated as just take the 2-3 covid tests before getting on the ship for all I care.

Sure there have been 5800 breakthrough infections out of 80 million fully vaccinated individuals or ~0.007%, with 74 deaths or ~0.00009% compared to an average mortality rate varying from 0.5% to around 3% for unvaccinated. This doesn't even include covid long-haulers issues that vaccinated largely will avoid. Do I like my statistical odds over the unvaccinated, you bet I do but honestly at this point we have entered the Darwin Awards phase of the pandemic as I could care less if folks want to get vaccinated now as long as I don't have to pay for their covid medical costs  by being unvaccinated. If they can pass 2-3 covid tests over a week, then let them onboard as I have no problem cruising with those folks.

See, this is the kind of arrogance that I often see coming from the vaccers and I find it perplexing. When you say things like "as long as I don't have to pay for their covid medical costs" it comes off as extremely arrogant and uncalled for and as if you're looking down at us from up on your pedestal. I certainly wouldn't act this way towards those who choose to vaccinate and I have no contempt for them in the slightest so why do some vaccers seem to display this contempt for us?

I don't even want to know what you mean by "Darwin Awards", but again it comes off incredibly insulting. I just don't understand why it apparently upsets some people that some of us prefer to wait until we see if there's any long term side effects from this hastily released drug. I'm truly baffled that more people aren't concerned of what these shots may do 5, 10 years down the line to our bodies. 

I want to cruise just as much as the next person, but i'd rather jump through the hoops of taking and paying for covid tests than have something injected into my body that's yet to be proven not to cause terrible side effects years down the road. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

You're in the ballpark.

Sorry, no, I was not challenging anyone's medical advice.  Everyone should be able to make their own informed decisions.

Tom

Regardless of your profession I agree with you then and apologize.

On 4/15/2021 at 10:50 AM, Elaine5715 said:

Since 98% of people do not wear masks properly, they might as well be maskless

And are when they are served the snack and drink and yet somehow that is ok on the flying tube.  Masks are a false sense of security....

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

Can you please post your cruise plans so I can make sure I am never on the same ship?  your posts are exhausting.  

If we went by that nobody would ever cruise again.

On 4/14/2021 at 1:48 PM, LHARTWICK said:

Agreed!  I am just stunned that vaccinations will not be required after all the industry has been through.  The industry wouldn't survive another shutdown.  Why would they risk other outbreaks, regardless of how large or small?  I'm vaccinated, so I'm not worried about catching it either.  Once opened again, we may stick to lines that require vaccinations for a while.  

Imo carnival is not going to risk it at this time. They are just sitting it out and waiting. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

Or maybe people that are scared of something with a more than 99% survival rate should stay home.  I am sure I am more at risk driving in Dallas....yet I venture out every day.  

The other side of the equation would be that the individuals that choose not to get vaccinated "Can't Board". We might not want to admit the fact that there are always "Two Sides To A Story"  

14 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

If you believed in God you wouldn't be scared of the "pandemic".  You would know your time is your time. 

Quote of the day. We always have to keep God first. He is the solution that provided the vaccines. That's a fact that you can check all you want. His power has been proven. 

2 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

The other side of the equation would be that the individuals that choose not to get vaccinated "Can't Board". We might not want to admit the fact that there are always "Two Sides To A Story"  

And if that is the case I will find other vacations. I have continued traveling, been on three different trips since June...4 flights.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, tkportersat said:

And if that is the case I will find other vacations. I have continued traveling, been on three different trips since June...4 flights.  

I am totally with your choice. I am also totally grateful that you choose to hang out with us Cruise Nuts. We may not always agree with one another but I truly feel we have deep respect for each member of this Nutty Cruise Society. Hope to see you on a ship and whatever you choose to do have much fun.   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

After reading a good portion of the posts,  I am not sure I want to anymore.  

The people that post on here are only a small fraction of those who cruise. Don't let them deter you. Nobody knows when Carnival will start cruising and what that will look like. Once they do we can all make a decision to cruise or not. I'm sure no matter what Carnival decides people will be on here complaining. 😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

The people that post on here are only a small fraction of those who cruise. Don't let them deter you. Nobody knows when Carnival will start cruising and what that will look like. Once they do we can all make a decision to cruise or not. I'm sure no matter what Carnival decides people will be on here complaining. 😉

I'm honestly on the fence...waiting to see what the final word is.  I have one scheduled for Thanksgiving and at this point I'm thinking there will be a Plan B, lol.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

I'm honestly on the fence...waiting to see what the final word is.  I have one scheduled for Thanksgiving and at this point I'm thinking there will be a Plan B, lol.  

I have one in sept and I aint so sure it will be sailing.    A b2b in november is more possible.  I hope your cruise sails and you have a good time.  P.S.  I drove thru Rockwall earlier this month.  Busy town. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

I would advise you to have a plan B.  I will infer that you wish that you'll be able to cruise in November of 2021 just like it was in November of 2019.  Even if Carnival and possibly  MSC do not mandate vaccines, there will be other restrictions  that of course have not been announced  yet but will more than likely  be a hindrance to what you wish to do.  I would research all inclusives as an alternative vacation option.

1 hour ago, OceanZena said:

See, this is the kind of arrogance that I often see coming from the vaccers and I find it perplexing. When you say things like "as long as I don't have to pay for their covid medical costs" it comes off as extremely arrogant and uncalled for and as if you're looking down at us from up on your pedestal. I certainly wouldn't act this way towards those who choose to vaccinate and I have no contempt for them in the slightest so why do some vaccers seem to display this contempt for us?

I don't even want to know what you mean by "Darwin Awards", but again it comes off incredibly insulting. I just don't understand why it apparently upsets some people that some of us prefer to wait until we see if there's any long term side effects from this hastily released drug. I'm truly baffled that more people aren't concerned of what these shots may do 5, 10 years down the line to our bodies. 

I want to cruise just as much as the next person, but i'd rather jump through the hoops of taking and paying for covid tests than have something injected into my body that's yet to be proven not to cause terrible side effects years down the road. 

I'm not here to try to convince anybody to get vaccinated nor (as I'm sure you understand) am I here to listen to anti-vaxxers go off. Maybe I'm becoming numb to this entire debate as I honestly could care less anymore if somebody opts to stay unvaccinated as I support their right to make that choice. With that stated, we are way past the point of people not understanding the risks with covid as my empathy toward individuals that made the calculated risk to stay unvaccinated but then get the virus, is about zero. If they make that choice and stay in high exposure risk activities, then they shouldn't expect much epathy going forward as I'm not the only one that thinks this way after the last year of watching friends and family go down with no choice to vaccinate.

As we chatted about yesterday, I have zero issues with what you stated as you have a very grounded approach that is better than many on here. You seem to understand that your path forward for things like cruising is going to involve more tests and hoops to jump through but not impossible. If you are willing to jump through those hoops by passing some tests prior to cruising, then I have zero problem cruising with you. Hope to see you onboard someday.

1 hour ago, embarkation75 said:

I'm not here to try to convince anybody to get vaccinated nor (as I'm sure you understand) am I here to listen to anti-vaxxers go off. Maybe I'm becoming numb to this entire debate as I honestly could care less anymore if somebody opts to stay unvaccinated as I support their right to make that choice. With that stated, we are way past the point of people not understanding the risks with covid as my empathy toward individuals that made the calculated risk to stay unvaccinated but then get the virus, is about zero. If they make that choice and stay in high exposure risk activities, then they shouldn't expect much epathy going forward as I'm not the only one that thinks this way after the last year of watching friends and family go down with no choice to vaccinate.

As we chatted about yesterday, I have zero issues with what you stated as you have a very grounded approach that is better than many on here. You seem to understand that your path forward for things like cruising is going to involve more tests and hoops to jump through but not impossible. If you are willing to jump through those hoops by passing some tests prior to cruising, then I have zero problem cruising with you. Hope to see you onboard someday.

Thank you. Being retired, it's been easy for me this past year to stay home and keep distance from others. I always respect other's space and wear the mask when required. (One of my biggest peeves is when someone doesn't respect the personal space and gets right up next to me in stores and I always let them know when they're too close lol.)

But since I have too many fears about taking the shot, I can accept the fact that i'll either have to take the covid tests when cruises resume, or maybe even have to wait longer until we're past herd immunity to sail again and that's ok. I'm patient, and i'm certainly not what some like to call a "super spreader"---Choosing to stay unvaccinated comes with the responsibility to keep masking and also to keep distance from others until we're past this. I'm hardly running around town infecting everybody and I really only go out to do errands and doc visits. 

I'm just surprised by the heated opinions some have for us who are hesitant to get the shots---almost like we're lepers who should be permanently shunned from society and I just don't know where that contempt is coming from. I would never be like that towards those who get vaccinated even though I don't personally agree with it. It's their choice and should be respected just as our choice should be too and i'm glad you see it that way too. It would be nice if we all could be more respectful to each other even if we have these vastly differing perspectives. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mredandchis said:

I have one in sept and I aint so sure it will be sailing.    A b2b in november is more possible.  I hope your cruise sails and you have a good time.  P.S.  I drove thru Rockwall earlier this month.  Busy town. 

Thanks 🙂 it didn’t used to be, Californians are flocking here the last few years.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I would advise you to have a plan B.  I will infer that you wish that you'll be able to cruise in November of 2021 just like it was in November of 2019.  Even if Carnival and possibly  MSC do not mandate vaccines, there will be other restrictions  that of course have not been announced  yet but will more than likely  be a hindrance to what you wish to do.  I would research all inclusives as an alternative vacation option.

We will have a backup plan.  My problem is if you are going to require a vaccine/testing before boarding then I should be able to live my life once on board.  I’m not jumping through all the hoops for more of the same restrictions.  I would rather do something else.  If people want to spend a bunch of money to do all that then by all means...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

Crazy busy.  Good luck buying a house.  Source:  Live in DFW area

Me too. I bought here about 3 years ago, now just bought a florida condo too. Everyone told me I bought at the tippy top of the market. It's a nothing house, with a something price lol. Rockwell is the burbs compared to where I am. Rush hour is coming back darn. We have a dallas contigent. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

what does it matter if a vaccine is required or not?   You can still carry the virus when you are vaccinated - you can still GET the virus when you are vaccinated.   Even a 100% fully vaccinated cruise will still have a chance of a case of COVID on board during the cruise.

there is no way for the cruise lines to guarantee that there will be NO cases on board.  What they need to do is come up with a plan for what to do when it happens - to protect others and to minimize the impact to the rest of the cruise.  I don't think that making the entire ship quarantine is the answer.

I have had several co-workers come down with the virus, (nearly 8 months apart) we all work on the same floor - same department, touching the same copy / fax machines, document scanners, doorknobs, etc - we did not quarantine the entire floor.  the reps was asked to stay home and their immediate workspace was thoroughly sanitized and cleaned.  Nobody else came down with it. 

• Like 6