Welcome to all of us Canadians on Cruise Critic!

CRUISINGCANUCKS99

9 hours ago, broberts said:

over 69% of Americans have received at least one shot.

That isn't correct; only 47% of Americans have had at least one shot. Many of them have also had a second shot, or got the one-dose J&J, but they are nowhere near 69%.

I was one of the first to get AZ in Ontario, so we are being offered the AZ doses that are due to expire at the end of May. I'm just waiting for my pharmacy to contact me to book at time. It will be about a month earlier than expected.

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

That isn't correct; only 47% of Americans have had at least one shot. Many of them have also had a second shot, or got the one-dose J&J, but they are nowhere near 69%.

Perhaps I mistyped. The number according to the CDC is 60.5%. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home

25 minutes ago, broberts said:

Perhaps I mistyped. The number according to the CDC is 60.5%. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home

OK.  That’s the %age of adults  with at least one vaccination.  Usually, we’re looking at the %age of the population that’s vaccinated sot the trick on this is to make sure everybody is looking at the same sample space i.e. citizens 18 or over (unless it’s 21 in the States, I don’t know).

% of total population of US vaccinated is 48.2

Edited by d9704011

23 minutes ago, broberts said:

That's not the number that was quoted by the Globe and Mail and by Maclean's. Both said that we were about to (and probably have on Thursday) exceeded the US  in percent of the population with at least one dose. The 60.5% is of population 18+.

This is a scary statistic from the CDC

Total Vaccine Doses

Delivered

Administered

They have over 70 million doses not yet administered, which is 20% of all doses delivered.

1 minute ago, gnome12 said:

That's not the number that was quoted by the Globe and Mail and by Maclean's. Both said that we were about to (and probably have on Thursday) exceeded the US  in percent of the population with at least one dose. The 60.5% is of population 18+.

I had a look at StatsCan and they estimate that approximately 30M of Canada’s 38M population is aged 20 or greater.  Canada has administered about 18.3M shots to that group.... about 61% of Canada’s adult population has had at least one shot.

1 minute ago, Sue from Canada said:

A lot of covid talk under this Welcome topic.

Maybe someone should open a Covid topic file

That subject just turns to crap every time. Feel free to start something on it, it has been discussed ad infinitum elsewhere often harshly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

A lot of covid talk under this Welcome topic.

Maybe someone should open a Covid topic file

Yes, it’s tough to avoid the topic when it’s the thing having the single-most impact on cruising (and travel) at the moment.  

• Like 2

On 5/22/2021 at 3:07 AM, d9704011 said:

Yes, it’s tough to avoid the topic when it’s the thing having the single-most impact on cruising (and travel) at the moment.  

Royal Caribbean just announced "We expect all of our cruise guests who eligible for a vaccine to have it." 

"The combination of the vaccines and testing and contact tracing, all these kinds of protocols really helps us reach our objective, which is to make cruising safer than in your home community".

"We want you to be more comfortable walking on board a ship than walking down Main Street."

Mr Fain concedes more cases could occur on cruise ships as things open up. "There will be cases of Covid-19 on board ships, just as there are cases of Covid-19 onshore". It's why, he says, procedures will be in place to isolate any passengers who show symptoms.

"If it happens on the ship... you'll be treated exactly the same as you are onshore, and that will protect from this becoming a bigger outbreak."

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 8:56 AM, broberts said:

Border closure extended another month. 

I can't figure out if our slow vaccination rate is a supply problem or not enough needle pushers.

I can't speak for all of Ontario, but in Ottawa it is most definitely a supply problem.  Pharmacies, doctors offices, clinics and other vaccination sites simply can't get their hands on sufficient doses. The distribution falls well short of the per capita allocations in some other regions in the province.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The distribution falls well short of the per capita allocations in some other regions in the province.

Ottawa’s cases/100,000 is much less than each of Toronto, Peel, York and Hamilton.  I’d say it’s sensible that the Province allocate vaccine distribution keeping in mind the infection rate(s) and not simply per capita.

24 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Ottawa’s cases/100,000 is much less than each of Toronto, Peel, York and Hamilton.  I’d say it’s sensible that the Province allocate vaccine distribution keeping in mind the infection rate(s) and not simply per capita.

Supposedly, that was only done for a 2 week period, and the allocations were supposed to go back to per capita. I can't say for sure whether it happened or not, but I think the hot spots should have got a larger proportion for somewhat longer. It really seems to have helped with infection numbers, which will hopefully lead to lower hospitalization and ICU numbers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I'd be more inclined to agree if those cities were taking full advantage of the extra vaccine sent their way, but while Ottawa has seen vaccination outlets close due to a lack of vaccine, the GTA has had outlets close temporarily at times due to a lack of people wanting to get vaccinated. The residents of these hot spots are generally less likely to seek vaccinations, for a variety of reasons, some valid some less so. Increasing the doses available there will not necessarily lead to an equal increase in the number of jabs. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge the additional flow to the GTA, but I'd like to see distribution take effective use of the vaccines into consideration.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I'd be more inclined to agree if those cities were taking full advantage of the extra vaccine sent their way, but while Ottawa has seen vaccination outlets close due to a lack of vaccine, the GTA has had outlets close temporarily at times due to a lack of people wanting to get vaccinated. The residents of these hot spots are generally less likely to seek vaccinations, for a variety of reasons, some valid some less so. Increasing the doses available there will not necessarily lead to an equal increase in the number of jabs. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge the additional flow to the GTA, but I'd like to see distribution take effective use of the vaccines into consideration.

There are many more fully booked and line ups out the door locations. Sometimes media highlights particular viewpoints rather than more neutral reporting.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

There are many more fully booked and line ups out the door locations. Sometimes media highlights particular viewpoints rather than more neutral reporting.

That is possible, although I recall John Tory making the point during an interview with CTV. He expressed puzzlement over why all of the clinics weren't fully booked, let alone some actually closed, when there was available vaccine.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

That is possible, although I recall John Tory making the point during an interview with CTV. He expressed puzzlement over why all of the clinics weren't fully booked, let alone some actually closed, when there was available vaccine.

I wasn't trying to give the impression that there were no under used facilities. Rather that there were many more fully used venues.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

A bit of fun from Port of Vancouver.

Around here, it’s usually 18 of these beauties....

B37D9376-120B-42B8-9170-5F2B168A07AB.png

Silly British Columbians, we probably used the plastic jugs of Kirkland brand from Costco 🤔

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Silly British Columbians, we probably used the plastic jugs of Kirkland brand from Costco 🤔

I was supposed to be staying at Abigail’s Hotel this weekend then off to Tofino tomorrow.  Maybe next year.

• Like 1