Welcome to all of us Canadians on Cruise Critic!

CRUISINGCANUCKS99

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Why is Arkansas pronounced Arkansaw? Please tell.

I actually know this one.  Apparently the original word was French and the 's' was not pronounced (which is the French way) so that part of the original pronunciation was retained.  Or so I read, anyway.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

While I like that we Canadians have our own forum I'm afraid there really isn't much going on here.

Perhaps it will get better once we start cruising again, for us that is January 2022 assuming our government cancels or modifies the travel advisory so we can get some travel insurance. Then of course we have to hope that the countries we want to visit will accept Canadians.

Jan 2022 is starting to look good. We just have to get enough people vaccinated.

Fellow Canadian here just dropping in to say Hi.

Hoping to be able to travel again by early 2022. Don't know when I will cruise again. I will wait until they start up and see how it goes.

Will be happy to just be able to go to NS this summer to visit my father.

Lois

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

While I like that we Canadians have our own forum I'm afraid there really isn't much going on here.

Perhaps it will get better once we start cruising again, for us that is January 2022 assuming our government cancels or modifies the travel advisory so we can get some travel insurance. Then of course we have to hope that the countries we want to visit will accept Canadians.

You have hit the nail on the head.  If we cancel our Sept 4 cruise, we won't be sailing till end of April 2022.  Hopefully the world will be in better shape by then.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:01 PM, Chiliburn said:

Apparently Europe is going to allow tourists from the US if they have been fully vaccinated.

It could be just a con to get them to want to vaccinated but it sounds like a move in the right direction.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/25/us/europe-vaccinated-americans-summer-eu-vacation/index.html

Well, Governor of Florida threw mud on all of that. He signed a ban of passport vaccination and you can't ask if the person got his shot. 

We cruise with Norwegian a few times, not my favourite but I admire them for taking a stance against Florida. The last thing the cruise ship and passengers want is to be stuck in quarantined because Florida don't care.

This is the article: https://ca.yahoo.com/news/cruise-ship-company-may-avoid-163933829.html

We have 3 cruises booked- one in Oct 21, April 22 and Aug 22. Looks like the one in October will be cancelled as it is a TA from Venice to Ft Lauderdale. HAL has cancelled the sailing for the Westerdam until Sept 1, 21. The ship won't be in Europe to do the TA. I really hope they cancel it as I really don't want to be in Florida even if we get our second dose in July. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lostinparadise999 said:

Well, Governor of Florida threw mud on all of that. He signed a ban of passport vaccination and you can't ask if the person got his shot. 

We cruise with Norwegian a few times, not my favourite but I admire them for taking a stance against Florida. The last thing the cruise ship and passengers want is to be stuck in quarantined because Florida don't care.

This is the article: https://ca.yahoo.com/news/cruise-ship-company-may-avoid-163933829.html

We have 3 cruises booked- one in Oct 21, April 22 and Aug 22. Looks like the one in October will be cancelled as it is a TA from Venice to Ft Lauderdale. HAL has cancelled the sailing for the Westerdam until Sept 1, 21. The ship won't be in Europe to do the TA. I really hope they cancel it as I really don't want to be in Florida even if we get our second dose in July. 

It’s not over yet.

We just had 6 people in quarantine from India that where fully vaccinated and come down with it.

It would seem the new variants are resistant.?

53 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

I worry about resistant variants here too and I have to say I'm glad Air India has been stopped from flying here. 

It’s not just ‘Air India’...

The Public Health Agency of Canada has been monitoring case data, and through mandatory testing upon entry into Canada, has detected a disproportionally higher number of cases among individuals travelling on flights originating from India and Pakistan. Given the high number of cases, the Government of Canada has taken additional measures:

• Transport Canada has issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) to suspend all commercial and private passenger flights from India and Pakistan for 30 days, effective 23:30 EDT April 22, 2021. 
  • The Minister of Transport will amend the Interim Order Respecting Certain Requirements for Civil Aviation Due to COVID-19, which means for passengers who depart India or Pakistan to Canada after 23:30 EDT April 22, 2021, via an indirect route, they will need to obtain a negative COVID-19 pre-departure test from a third country before continuing their journey to Canada.
  • These measures will help manage the elevated risk of imported cases of COVID-19 and variants of concern into Canada during a time of increasing pressure on our health care system.

14 minutes ago, broberts said:

I don't really understand the logic of halting flights from one or two countries. 

I think it is quite logical to avoid inviting the virus into our country from an area that is a raging hot spot. I also think that those people who choose to purposely circumvent the health precautions that are in place to keep try and stabilize our Canadian infection rate are very selfish. We seem to finally be able to get a large number of vaccinations per day and the supply of vaccine seems to be keeping up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think it is quite logical to avoid inviting the virus into our country from an area that is a raging hot spot. I also think that those people who choose to purposely circumvent the health precautions that are in place to keep try and stabilize our Canadian infection rate are very selfish. We seem to finally be able to get a large number of vaccinations per day and the supply of vaccine seems to be keeping up.

Really enforcing current quarantine regs makes more sense to me. 

I agree about those that circumvent the rules. Sadly, we have become a very spoiled and selfish society.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I worry about resistant variants here too and I have to say I'm glad Air India has been stopped from flying here. 

Australia stopped direct flights but they started using a third country like Sri Lanka as a loop hole in the ban.

So our government put a $60,000 fine and a prison sentence for anyone coming from India.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Everywhere around here is a hotspot Lyle.

india,Pakistan,Thailand, Nepal,  Indonesia ,PNG,Philippine.

And as I said it seems the Indian strain is 15 times more contagious and is resistant to the vaccines.

Theres 9000 Ozzie/Indian citizens wanting to get back to Australia to check their 7/11 store.

Sorry @Chiliburn no data to suggest that the "variants" are resistant. Remember the vaccine triggers your body to respond to the intruding organism. It doesn't actually attack the virus, your body does. Think of the vaccine as a memo to the stock room that there is a particular hammer on the shelf to slam the virus with and gives the map of where to find it.

28 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sorry @Chiliburn no data to suggest that the "variants" are resistant. Remember the vaccine triggers your body to respond to the intruding organism. It doesn't actually attack the virus, your body does. Think of the vaccine as a memo to the stock room that there is a particular hammer on the shelf to slam the virus with and gives the map of where to find it.

Well ,apparently we have had 6 cases in NSW  ( our government radio network .The ABC )

They where in quarantine and where fully vaccinated and come down with the symptoms and where contagious.

The people come from India just recently.

I will find a link for you .

46 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lyle it’s Saturday afternoon and it’s happy hour here in Australia.

I couldn’t find the article I was thinking of because I’m in a alcoholic haze.

I will find it but have a look at this.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.04.442663v1

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Lyle it’s Saturday afternoon and it’s happy hour here in Australia.

I couldn’t find the article I was thinking of because I’m in a alcoholic haze.

I will find it but have a look at this.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.04.442663v1

I can't find it it online, Chili, but it was on the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald.

20210508_200345.jpg

• Haha 1

Vaccines are not 100% effective, regardless of the existence of variants.

Six associated simultaneous cases of infection in supposedly fully vaccinated people is very odd. It certainly needs investigation. But I wouldn't immediately blame a variant as the only contributing factor. In fact my first thought was to wonder about the claim of full vaccination.

• Like 2

Thanks @OzKiwiJJ it makes for headlines. I took particular interest in the last line; it was "absolutely inevitable" the virus would spread. This will be the case as long as the strategy is "keep it out" more than get our people vaccinated quickly and effectively with all the tools available while watching and learning from other countries around the world. The previous administration in that large country to the south of mine and the current situation in India are great examples of what not to do. The current administration in that same large country and other places like Israel are better examples of what should be more effective. Here in Canada after a slow start we are finally ramping up our vaccinations and using all the tools available to us, because keeping the virus out is not an option here. Soon it will be clear that it is a futile tactic and relying on that will not get the job done.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It’s not the article I was thinking of but says the same.

It’s just going to be a race to alter the vaccines as with the yearly flu shot.

Before we get overly worried about variants a full investigation of the occurrence is needed. Were the people actually "fully vaccinated" and outside the waiting period for full efficacy? What is the expected efficacy of the vaccine(s) used? Etc.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, broberts said:

Before we get overly worried about variants a full investigation of the occurrence is needed. Were the people actually "fully vaccinated" and outside the waiting period for full efficacy? What is the expected efficacy of the vaccine(s) used? Etc.

In a recent poll completed,  both Ontario and BC are in favour of a vaccination passport for international travel and inter provincial travel. Also we are in favour of vaccination passport as proof for concerts and other events. BC has the lowest infection rate in the 4 most populated provinces. So guess which province doesn't want a vaccination passport? Hint: Alberta has a higher infection rate than the US.

BC and Ontario has the highest rate of accepting vaccination and actively going to get a dose.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lostinparadise999 said:

In a recent poll completed,  both Ontario and BC are in favour of a vaccination passport for international travel and inter provincial travel.

Hadn’t seen that one.  A ‘passport’ for inter-provincial travel sound pretty far-fetched to me.