Do you think that July cruises from Athens will proceed?

Eli_6

I think the ship will sail, but I would not sail on it if anyone in my family is not vaccinated.  Wait until next year when Covid should be under better control and vaccines should be available for children.  Better Covid treatments should also be available for breakthrough Covid cases.

Given that the new Apex Med itineraries have only recently been launched, I’m assuming that X have done lots of research and discussion with ports ( and back up ports just in case one closes or changes their policy on cruise ship entry).... so yes, I’m pretty confident these will go ahead.

The only data RCG seem to be keeping close to their chests is what capacity will these ships sail at? They say it’s reduced inventory but haven’t given a percentage.

LB > who’s hoping for Apex at 50% ish! 

In looking at the available cabins on our Sep 25 Apex cruise, it appears there are a lot of cabins available, so it may well be below 50% capacity.

The only question is will Celebrity cancel if bookings are less than a threshold on any given sailing, i.e., will a particular sailing proceed if let's say only 25% booked?

9 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Looking less likely. Greece are playing a huge gamble opening up for tourism when the pandemic situation is so bad there. 

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-greece

I don´t see Greece in that bad a situation. Germany reports about 3500 new cases yesterday. German- about 16000 new cases, US 47000 new cases- the population of those states have to be taken into consideration- of course.

57 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Looking less likely. Greece are playing a huge gamble opening up for tourism when the pandemic situation is so bad there. 

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-greece

The C19 rate is still very high ... ICUs are at max ... this is following a strict lockdown for several months ... not good ... they are opening up the economy this week in many ways including restaurants ... I just hope there is no huge spike in 30 days as happened with India after they opened up everything ...

Edited by GlobalMethod

Greece PM has announced open for tourism as of May 14 to anyone fully vaccinated. 100,000 shots per day are being given.

Italy PM announced Wednesday that anyone fully vaccinated is welcome starting May 15.

• Like 1

The Greece covid numbers are definitely going in the right direction.  

Two weeks ago their 7 day average covid infections per 100,000 were running at 185.

Today, that 7 day average is down to 116. Similar to the US number.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/greece/

During same period, Turkey fell from 450 to 226.

Very good news.

Edited by iancal

I didn't read all the comments but I didn't see anyone else point out:  even if it sails,  I would sort of wonder how much fun it will be.  I think it's very safe to assume that most shore stuff will be shutdown even if you are allowed to walk freely (which I'm not sure you will).  The X excursions will be limited also I would think.  I'm just thinking for that amount of money I'm not sure it will/would be worth it.

• Like 4

On 5/2/2021 at 7:06 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

I think the ship will sail, but I would not sail on it if anyone in my family is not vaccinated.  Wait until next year when Covid should be under better control and vaccines should be available for children.  Better Covid treatments should also be available for breakthrough Covid cases.

Totally agree here, May 2022 for us, which hopefully (??) the situation is far more under control.  I am now fully vaxed (horrible reaction to shot #2) but still glad I did it.  I hope all of you that will be cruising in 2021 have a great time and remain safe!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iancal said:

The Greece covid numbers are definitely going in the right direction.  

Two weeks ago their 7 day average covid infections per 100,000 were running at 185.

Today, that 7 day average is down to 116. Similar to the US number.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/greece/

During same period, Turkey fell from 450 to 226.

Very good news.

Pure statistics can be misleading. Turkey has just been placed on the UK red list meaning mandatory 10 day quarantine in a hotel on return at travellers expense. 

I agree with rmalbers. Regardless of how much I want to get back to cruising, I won't until I'm comfortable that the experience I will get is not too badly compromised. 

Phil 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Pure statistics can be misleading. Turkey has just been placed on the UK red list meaning mandatory 10 day quarantine in a hotel on return at travellers expense. 

I agree with rmalbers. Regardless of how much I want to get back to cruising, I won't until I'm comfortable that the experience I will get is not too badly compromised. 

Phil 

We have absolutely no intention of returning to cruising anytime soon.  Land travel yes but certainly no cruises until at least late 2022.

The very last thing we want is to be on a cruise to nowhere with port stops cancelled, or  mandatory cruise line excursions only, or worse end up on MS Covid for week or two.  Why pay or waste our time on a potential cruise experience like this?

But...we place far more stock on these numbers as an indicator than we do to often confusing and sometimes  ill informed musings of self serving politicians and cruise industry folk. 

Covid is far from over or wrestled to the ground.   It still has a way to go with some potential bumps along the way.

Would we even consider a Med cruise in 2021?  Never.  Nor would we consider or even book any other 2021 cruise itinerary at this point in time.  Not enough data.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 4

The fact that the cruise ship as well as the ports are likely to be at very low occupancy is what attracted us to this cruise.  Normally Santorini and the other Mediterranean ports are overrun with tourists, which would detract from the enjoyment.

We are monitoring the situation closely.  The cruise we are on visits Greece and Israel.  Israel's Covid situation is pretty much under control, with close to 60% of their population fully vaccinated and the 7-day average number of cases at 60 per day.

Greece is currently at 2 million (out of 10 million) that have received their first dose, and their vaccination rate is accelerating.  By Sept, Greece will likely be in Israel's situation.

We are taking a calculated risk that the situation in Greece and Israel will be under control by late summer, in large part because of the vaccination progress.

Then we hope to visit with sparse crowds and lots of open spaces on the cruise ship.

Reminded me of when we first took a flight back in early April 2020--it was scary before we actually got on the plane and we had entire rows to ourselves, and the flight was quite enjoyable.

But I totally understand those that do not want to take the risk.

"Normally Santorini and the other Mediterranean ports are overrun with tourists, which would detract from the enjoyment. " 

Wait a minute, not true at all!  I went at the beginning of the season, first cruise or second, it was great.  I had heard about all the people and heat, go early or late in the season and the crowds won't be a problem, the heat well it should be ok and it was perfect temps for me but you're on your own on that.

Edited by rmalbers

Try those popular islands right after Greek Easter or in late October.  Otherwise we avoid them in favor of other islands, destinations.  Check on the daily port data before going to see if and how many cruise ships are in port.  Better yet go by land and spend 4 or5 days on the island during these periods.  You will  enjoy a completely different environment and experience. 

We  recommend this approach for other ports such as Corfu and most especially Dubrovnik.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rmalbers said:

I didn't read all the comments but I didn't see anyone else point out:  even if it sails,  I would sort of wonder how much fun it will be.  I think it's very safe to assume that most shore stuff will be shutdown even if you are allowed to walk freely (which I'm not sure you will).  The X excursions will be limited also I would think.  I'm just thinking for that amount of money I'm not sure it will/would be worth it.

Completely agree with this sentiment.  We were considering a trip to Hawaii this summer but when faced with the hoops you have to jump through combined with knowing that it won't be a "regular" experience for so many things once you get there, we decided to wait.  One example is just on the flight over, where many airlines are still offering very limited services on the plane.  While I don't plan my trips around airplane food, meals in premium cabins are often still just a sandwich or fruit/cheese tray, and such things become a bigger consideration when you're flying for a full day. Hotels have varying levels of service, too, and I've learned by experience that even if they say something is still available, you may face a different reality.

Another example closer to home is here in DC where crowds are pretty sparse but very few things are operating on a normal schedule.  Most of the Smithsonian museums are going to reopen in a few weeks, but they are capacity limited, meaning you will have to plan based on when you can secure a timed entry ticket.  A lot of the buildings one would normally go inside are closed (Washington Monument, Library of Congress, National Archives).  You can now visit Arlington Cemetery again, but there are COVID protocols in place (masks mandated, social distancing required).  The open air monuments are pretty much all open but services around the National Mall have been curtailed.  It's a completely different experience from what anyone would normally have.

40 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Completely agree with this sentiment.  We were considering a trip to Hawaii this summer but when faced with the hoops you have to jump through combined with knowing that it won't be a "regular" experience for so many things once you get there, we decided to wait.

Hawaii is a nightmare with their restrictions. Two weeks ago my fully vaccinated sister and brother in law flew to Maui Hawaii first class on American from DFW. They both got their required negative PCR Covid tests the day before departure and when they landed at the  Maui airport  they were told that although they had been vaccinated and got the correct negative PCR test, it wasn't from an "Hawaii approved vendor" like CVS and they wouldn't accept the results. They were given the option of forced confined quarantine at an approved hotel with no outside contacts for 5 days or turn around and fly home. Since they were only in Hawaii for 7 days they chose to fly home. While waiting for a return flight they could not leave a special quarantine secured area in the airport for over 12 hours. They lost the $4600 they paid for the 7 night condo  and had to fly home coach for $1200pp more and they will never visit Hawaii again.  BTW the Hawaii tourism web site says all tourists must have a negative PCR test and it gives a list of "preferred" vendors but nowhere does it say you can not use any other vendor.  They got their PCR tests from a local chain Urgent Care that is well known in Texas. Smart move not going to Hawaii this summer.

7 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

BTW the Hawaii tourism web site says all tourists must have a negative PCR test and it gives a list of "preferred" vendors but nowhere does it say you can not use any other vendor. 

I've been following the entry requirements since early 2020 as we were booked on a Hawaiian cruise, subsequently cancelled, and your statement isn't correct. From the Travel Requirements webpage https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements:

Only test results from Trusted Testing and Travel Partners(link is external) will be accepted. 

If you follow the link to the State of Hawaii COVID-19 page on Travel Partners (https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/), the long list is prefaced with the following:

Hawai‘i’s Pre-travel Testing Program

The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.

It's very clear that you can only use one of these partners and can't use other vendors. I really feel sorry for your sister and brother-in-law, but I don't know how this requirement could be made any more clear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Completely agree with this sentiment.  We were considering a trip to Hawaii this summer but when faced with the hoops you have to jump through combined with knowing that it won't be a "regular" experience for so many things once you get there, we decided to wait.  One example is just on the flight over, where many airlines are still offering very limited services on the plane.  While I don't plan my trips around airplane food, meals in premium cabins are often still just a sandwich or fruit/cheese tray, and such things become a bigger consideration when you're flying for a full day. Hotels have varying levels of service, too, and I've learned by experience that even if they say something is still available, you may face a different reality.

Another example closer to home is here in DC where crowds are pretty sparse but very few things are operating on a normal schedule.  Most of the Smithsonian museums are going to reopen in a few weeks, but they are capacity limited, meaning you will have to plan based on when you can secure a timed entry ticket.  A lot of the buildings one would normally go inside are closed (Washington Monument, Library of Congress, National Archives).  You can now visit Arlington Cemetery again, but there are COVID protocols in place (masks mandated, social distancing required).  The open air monuments are pretty much all open but services around the National Mall have been curtailed.  It's a completely different experience from what anyone would normally have.

I live on Oahu and have traveled to the Big Island and Maui in the last month. Believe me, everything is pretty much back to normal except that masks must be worn indoors. A few places (such as climbing Diamond Head) still require masks.

8 minutes ago, Podie said:

I live on Oahu and have traveled to the Big Island and Maui in the last month. Believe me, everything is pretty much back to normal except that masks must be worn indoors. A few places (such as climbing Diamond Head) still require masks.

And my hope is that Greece will also rapidly approach normal with an increase in vaccinations.

Just look at California.  In early January, it was an unmitigated disaster, and I was afraid to even venture into a grocery store except early in the morning or late in the evening.

In my county, over 60% of residents are now vaccinated in a matter of a few months after a VERY slow start in California.  Both LA and SF have transitioned to the least restrictive yellow COVID tier.

So just as things tended to turn ugly quickly before vaccinations, it appears that things can turn positive quickly with vaccinations.

I'll hope for the best but plan for the worst; i.e., everything is refundable (airfare + hotels) or creditable (my cruise).

• Like 1

We traveled to Hawaii in February and the instructions could not have been clearer.   Living 90 from DC we thought there would be a trusted travel partner around DC.   We were wrong, the closest spot was in Richmond, VA.    To be safe we flew to SFO a day early and we were tested at the airport, a trusted partner.   We were not allowed to board without the test.   The partner uploaded it to the Hawaiian site and we then filled out a questionnaire.   United checked this and gave us a wristband and this allowed us to board the flight.    Once we arrived on the big island, we were tested again and out online profile was checked.   Hawaii was worth it and we appreciated how seriously they took the pandemic.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 12:12 AM, Miaminice said:

since there is no vaccine approved for under 18/16 for now, those restrictions in the EU exempt those under 18. You can find that in the fine print on the websites of local authorities. In most countries a PCR test is required for them instead. 

You are 100 percent correct!  🙂

15 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

You are correct ... recent statistics in Greece have been highly influenced by Easter as the celebration (just ended last Monday) is like Christmas and 4th of July combined for about 2 weeks ... test numbers are greatly reduced because people are highly involved with church activity ...