New CDC guidelines for simulated cruises

3 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

Be prepared to wait a good long while to sail out of Florida.  This is one of those situations where making laws before there is an actual reason for them can come back and bite you. 

I agree. This is the response posted by  the Miami-Dade Mayor n social media:

Preventing cruise companies from setting policies to keep customers and workers safe puts lives needlessly at risk, and is contrary to the free enterprise that makes this country great. This decision could cost South Florida's 1000s of jobs at a critical moment in our economic recovery.
Our cruise partners are committed to a safe reopening, getting ships sailing safely again to get tens of thousands of people back to work. This isn’t about politics; it’s about the livelihoods of so many families who have already struggled so much this year.
I urge the Governor: Don’t stand in the way of the safe restart of cruising – a cornerstone of our regional and state economy.
  • Like 4

Just now, sandebeach said:

Preventing cruise companies from setting policies to keep customers and workers safe puts lives needlessly at risk, and is contrary to the free enterprise that makes this country great. This decision could cost South Florida's 1000s of jobs at a critical moment in our economic recovery.
Our cruise partners are committed to a safe reopening, getting ships sailing safely again to get tens of thousands of people back to work. This isn’t about politics; it’s about the livelihoods of so many families who have already struggled so much this year.
I urge the Governor: Don’t stand in the way of the safe restart of cruising – a cornerstone of our regional and state economy.

Someone's going to need to break the stalemate. Either the governor backs down first and tells cruises they can proceed (not likely) or the cruise industry just moved forward anyway and invites the state to sue them.

Until someone blinks, no cruising is happening in FL. The longer this staring content happens, the more ships will move out of FL and the economic impact will be more long term.

8 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

4 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Someone's going to need to break the stalemate. Either the governor backs down first and tells cruises they can proceed (not likely) or the cruise industry just moved forward anyway and invites the state to sue them.

Until someone blinks, no cruising is happening in FL. The longer this staring content happens, the more ships will move out of FL and the economic impact will be more long term.

image.thumb.jpeg.eb9243ebc9a2e6d592c2f1cc75c7378e.jpeg

• Like 1

Desantis doesn't view it as painting himself into a corner. In his head, with his back against the wall, the only place he has to go is UP. He wants to run for president one day. Everything he does needs to be viewed thru that lens. This may temporarily hurt FL business, but it gives his so much in the way of spinning this with talking points about standing up to the overreach of the Biden Administration (aka CDC). In 3 years when he is running for president, I am SURE the topic of CDC and Cruises will come up in many speeches and debates. This is his plan. And it may work for him. But it does nothing to help cruising, which is what this forum is all about.

The counter move here is to either comply, and wait to sail and make things even harder than the CDC is trying to make them, or ignore the law and invite the state to sue them. THAT would be harder to spin. Saying all you care about is restarting the economy but then suing the very companies that are doing it, THAT paints him into a corner.

11 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Yes this is what my dear dad would have called “a pissing contest” between the Governor, the CDC and the cruise lines. And it is sad. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Desantis doesn't view it as painting himself into a corner. In his head, with his back against the wall, the only place he has to go is UP. He wants to run for president one day. Everything he does needs to be viewed thru that lens. This may temporarily hurt FL business, but it gives his so much in the way of spinning this with talking points about standing up to the overreach of the Biden Administration (aka CDC). In 3 years when he is running for president, I am SURE the topic of CDC and Cruises will come up in many speeches and debates. This is his plan. And it may work for him. But it does nothing to help cruising, which is what this forum is all about.

The counter move here is to either comply, and wait to sail and make things even harder than the CDC is trying to make them, or ignore the law and invite the state to sue them. THAT would be harder to spin. Saying all you care about is restarting the economy but then suing the very companies that are doing it, THAT paints him into a corner.

It doesn’t matter whether DeSantis thinks he’s painted himself into a corner. The political reality is that he has.  After he has repeatedly assured folks that he intends for his ban to apply the cruise lines, there is no politically graceful way out.  I don’t think the cruise lines will simply ignore his pronouncement.  They will just sail from elsewhere or push him to back off.  Publicly. 

Just now, Keksie said:

It isn't just Florida.  Texas has banned vaccine passports too.  Cruises out of Galveston won't be happening from there either.

Not 100% sure about that. Yes Texas banned the passports, but Abbott's is still just an EO, not a law. Also, he didn't explicitly say that his order applied to cruise ships the way that FL did. He is playing the situation much cooler. Texas still has the ability to say "we ban Covid passports" and also admit that their ban doesn't have the jurisdiction to apply to cruise ships.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Not 100% sure about that. Yes Texas banned the passports, but Abbott's is still just an EO, not a law. Also, he didn't explicitly say that his order applied to cruise ships the way that FL did. He is playing the situation much cooler. Texas still has the ability to say "we ban Covid passports" and also admit that their ban doesn't have the jurisdiction to apply to cruise ships.

I wondered about Texas's vaccine passport ban and cruising out of Galveston, because last week Texas, along with Alaska,  joined Florida's lawsuit against the CDC

3 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I wondered about Texas's vaccine passport ban and cruising out of Galveston, because last week Texas, along with Alaska,  joined Florida's lawsuit against the CDC

Yes, but that lawsuit is all about getting cruising started earlier. The bans will have the opposite effect. 2 separate issues.

Abbott's order still says "businesses that receive public funds from the state" can't ask for vaccine proof. I don't think the cruise lines fall into that category.

9 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Yes, but that lawsuit is all about getting cruising started earlier. The bans will have the opposite effect. 2 separate issues.

Abbott's order still says "businesses that receive public funds from the state" can't ask for vaccine proof. I don't think the cruise lines fall into that category.

So Galveston may become the first  US port for Royal to sail from, unless Royal can work with New Jersey/Cape Liberty to allows cruises to start with vaccinated passengers. 

Edited by sandebeach

31 minutes ago, jrapps said:

The Texas Legislature  is only in session every other year.  In between EOs are the way to go.

Edited by Keksie

1 minute ago, sandebeach said:

So Galveston may become the first  US port for Royal to sail from, unless Royal can work with New Jersey/Cape Liberty to allows cruises to start with vaccinated passengers. 

Not just Royal. Carnival has also basically said the only ships that have a hope of starting in July are Breeze and Vista from Galveston, and Horizon from Miami. I'd bet that the Texas port skips test cruises and sails with vaccines. Horizon will go the other route and do a test cruise.

Sure seems that they cruise lines are putting more of their eggs in Texas than FL for now.

Can you imagine Galveston becoming the #1 cruise port in the world?

8 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Not just Royal. Carnival has also basically said the only ships that have a hope of starting in July are Breeze and Vista from Galveston, and Horizon from Miami. I'd bet that the Texas port skips test cruises and sails with vaccines. Horizon will go the other route and do a test cruise.

Sure seems that they cruise lines are putting more of their eggs in Texas than FL for now.

Can you imagine Galveston becoming the #1 cruise port in the world?

And just like that, the Horizon is now also gone from Carnivals website for July. The only ships that still show bookable for July are Breeze and Vista from Galveston.

Seems pretty likely Carnival is hedging their bets that Texas is friendlier to cruises in the short term.

20 minutes ago, jrapps said:

And just like that, the Horizon is now also gone from Carnivals website for July. The only ships that still show bookable for July are Breeze and Vista from Galveston.

Seems pretty likely Carnival is hedging their bets that Texas is friendlier to cruises in the short term.

It may be as simple as the fact that crews can get vaccinated in TX. I don't believe that is happening in FL.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:33 PM, smokeybandit said:

Amazing the CDC isn't even following their own science on surface transmission.

It's like you said earlier, They are following the same rules from over a year ago before they determined that surface transmission wasn't an issue.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, broberts said:

It may be as simple as the fact that crews can get vaccinated in TX. I don't believe that is happening in FL.

CEO Michael Bayley has been posting on FB all week about PortMiami vaccinating Operations crew on Royal ships. This was from Tuesday:

Freedom of the Seas ops crew getting vaccinated this afternoon. Navigator this morning ! Freedom this afternoon ! Port Miami 👍

25 minutes ago, broberts said:

I missed that. Thanks.

Yes, Independence was done on Wednesday and this was yesterday, from M. Bayley:

Today ! 122 Ops Crew on Mariner were vaccinated ! Thank you Port Miami
182322803_236863194893863_88856590654558

182803656_236863204893862_49720190226418

1.7KYou and 1.7K others
51 Comments
52 Shares

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

The Texas Legislature  is only in session every other year.  In between EOs are the way to go.

They are in session until May 31

Edited by Stallion

19 minutes ago, Stallion said:

They are in session until May 31

I haven't paid attention since we moved so I wasn't sure if they were in or out.  Do you know if there is a bill regarding the vaccine passport matter.