New CDC guidelines for simulated cruises

This was CLIA’s response on Wednesday to the CDC guidelines. I agree with CLIA that CDC should not disregard all the good practices that have been shown effective on cruises outside of the United States. 

CEEE83AC-DD56-4D12-BF98-5D3A64962742.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

This was CLIA’s response on Wednesday to the CDC guidelines. I agree with CLIA that CDC should not disregard all the good practices that have been shown effective on cruises outside of the United States. 

CEEE83AC-DD56-4D12-BF98-5D3A64962742.jpeg

I'm still waiting to see actual follow-up studies of all these "successful" cruises.

While the CDC likely cares about what occurs aboard, I suspect it is much more interested in what happens when the passengers come ashore.

• Like 1

In his Press Releases the Governor talks about supporting the cruise lines, but I don't really think he knew much about the cruise lines' economic importance to Florida when he was a still-newish Governor last year. He changed his tune on the HAL ship after the then-President told him that it was "the humane thing to do". and after Florida families called hi Office to ask for help for their loved ones on the ship. 

TOURISM & CRUISES

Governor DeSantis says he doesn’t want people from Zaandam cruise ‘dumped’ in Florida

BY TAYLOR DOLVEN AND

SAMANTHA J. GROSS

MARCH 30, 2020 10:17 AM, 

UPDATED MARCH 30, 2020 08:46 PM

The fate of passengers and crew from Holland America Line’s Zaandam cruise ship is still in question after Florida’s governor said Monday that he does not want to see them disembark in Florida. Nearly 450 passengers from the Zaandam, 73 of them showing flu-like symptoms, hope to disembark at Port Everglades when the ship arrives to Florida’s coast as soon as Wednesday. The Broward Country Commission is set to discuss the matter Tuesday.

But twice on Monday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said publicly he does not want the ship in Florida. Senator Rick Scott said all passengers should be tested before they disembark. The cruise was originally supposed to end in Chile, and a new cruise was scheduled to take passengers from South America to Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, to arrive on April 7. More than 400 of those currently on board originally planned to ride the ship all the way to Florida.

Speaking on Fox News Monday morning, Governor Ron DeSantis said he does not want to see people from the Zaandam get off in Florida. “We cannot afford to have people who are not even Floridians dumped into South Florida using up those valuable resources,” DeSantis told Fox News. “We view this as a big big problem and we do not want to see people dumped in Southern Florida right now.” Twenty-four of the passengers now aboard the Zaandam are Florida residents.

Holland America Line President Orlando Ashford said in a statement Monday that the company is dealing with a “not my problem” syndrome from countries. All between Chile and the U.S. have turned the ship away, the company said. “Nations are justifiably focused on the COVID-19 crisis unfolding before them,” he wrote. “But they’ve turned their backs on thousands of people left floating at sea...The COVID-19 situation is one of the most urgent tests of our common humanity. To slam the door in the face of these people betrays our deepest human values. ”

Later on Monday, at a press conference at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, DeSantis said again he does not want to see people from the Zaandam cruise ship disembark in Florida, noting that it would be “a mistake.” He said he hopes the cruise line can arrange for medical personnel to be dispatched to the ship. DeSantis, who said he has been in touch with the White House about the issue, said the state has “enough to deal with” among its own residents. He expects answers from the White House on Monday about whether it will order the ship to be diverted.

Edited by sandebeach

23 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

What's the point of what DeSantis did over a year ago when the world thought covid was going to kill us all?

He did not offer help to the cruise ships at that time. Now, he did agree to let Floridians off the ship after he found out that Floridians were on board. I contrast DeSantis's actions with the actions of the then-mayor of Miami-Dade County, who quietly worked with the cruise lines to bring Coral Princess to dock at PortMiami when Broward officials were saying they did not want any cruise ships to dock at Port Everglades. 

4 hours ago, Keksie said:

It isn't just Florida.  Texas has banned vaccine passports too.  Cruises out of Galveston won't be happening from there either.

The Texas order applies ONLY to state run and state funded organizations.  Private business are free to request/require what they feel is in their best interest.

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

I haven't paid attention since we moved so I wasn't sure if they were in or out.  Do you know if there is a bill regarding the vaccine passport matter.

Vaccine Passports are not on the docket; the lion's share of time has been spent on election security, and "Constitutional Carry"

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The Texas order applies ONLY to state run and state funded organizations.  Private business are free to request/require what they feel is in their best interest.

I suspect that is also the case in Florida... while they may not have carved out a place for cruise ships.. I don't see how a Governor can tell a company involved in interstate and international business what to do... seems to me the Feds are the ones with the power... If the governor had that power...he could simple tell the cruise ships that they can sail now...but he can't. Still he should clarify because it is left hanging... Royal appears to assume no impact while NCL feel they can't do business there...very confusing for those facing final payment

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kearney said:

I suspect that is also the case in Florida... while they may not have carved out a place for cruise ships.. I don't see how a Governor can tell a company involved in interstate and international business what to do... seems to me the Feds are the ones with the power... If the governor had that power...he could simple tell the cruise ships that they can sail now...but he can't. Still he should clarify because it is left hanging... Royal appears to assume no impact while NCL feel they can't do business there...very confusing for those facing final payment

I have not read anywhere that Royal has addressed this, unlike NCL. But even the NCL CEO stated “I am not a lawyer”.  I bet the cruise lines have their lawyers checking on this. Port Everglades just announced that they are asking Broward County Commission for permission to talk to Disney about porting a Disney ship at Port Everglades, so Disney may not be worried perhaps because they will do test cruises with unvaccinated passengers. 

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

I have not read anywhere that Royal has addressed this, unlike NCL. But even the NCL CEO stated “I am not a lawyer”.  I bet the cruise lines have their lawyers checking on this. Port Everglades just announced that they are asking Broward County Commission for permission to talk to Disney about porting a Disney ship at Port Everglades, so Disney may not be worried perhaps because they will do test cruises with unvaccinated passengers. 

Candidly I just hope that the CDC staff is just over worked and hasn't had the opportunity to actually think about their guidelines... perhaps...like the teachers unions... the cruiselines could find someone from their health panel to assist in updating the guidelines...   yeah that'll work

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kearney said:

Candidly I just hope that the CDC staff is just over worked and hasn't had the opportunity to actually think about their guidelines... perhaps...like the teachers unions... the cruiselines could find someone from their health panel to assist in updating the guidelines...   yeah that'll work

Ummmmmm, ok!

On 5/6/2021 at 8:38 AM, smokeybandit said:

There's zero reason for buffets to change, if you follow the science.

Of course the CDC isn't following the science.

This is one comment I do agree with you. Offer over sized vinyl gloves to passengers that MUST be worn to handle utensils and offer sneeze guards protecting all food. Our local Ruby Tuesday and Golden Corral offer these safe guards for their self serve buffets. Works for me.

Plus, the science says Covid is not transmissible in food. So the CDC has said.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 8:50 AM, smokeybandit said:

If you don't think it's safe, stay home. It's that simple.

I see there are 15 likes for this post so far. People don't realize that it is not fear for   one's own safety that folks are concerned about. The fear is that the cruise industry, as we know it, will never come back. The fear is not for one's own safety, especially us folks who are vaccinate (if I may go out on a limb and speak for other vaccinated folks), but that the cruise industry will forever be impacted to their and our detriment. 

Please look at the big picture. Thanks.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 5:11 PM, sandebeach said:

From what I understand about DCL, the move up to Port Everglades from Port Miami is 2024 at the earliest, and Desantis comes up for election 2022.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:21 AM, harkinmr said:

And, as others have said, if you don’t like the rules stay home. It’s that simple. 

That is exactly what hubby and I plan to do. We won't be cruising while there are still mask mandates, especially with masking in between bites and sipping drinks. That is not a pleasant dining experience, if you ask me. We will gladly wait.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 7:08 PM, kearney said:

This is exactly it, the CDC is understaffed in a normal fiscal year, they no longer have the man power to handle the surge needed for and outbreak. If the CLIA came to the CDC and presented a way to get cruising restarted safely that was based on the current scientific understanding and not a fluff plan, the CDC would go along with it, otherwise, cruising has to wait until the CDC can get to it. It's likely, theCDC is prioritizing returning Americans to employment.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I see there are 15 likes for this post so far. People don't realize that it is not fear for   one's own safety that folks are concerned about. The fear is that the cruise industry, as we know it, will never come back. The fear is not for one's own safety, especially us folks who are vaccinate (if I may go out on a limb and speak for other vaccinated folks), but that the cruise industry will forever be impacted to their and our detriment. 

Please look at the big picture. Thanks.

Ummm...sure hope they're looking at the big picture.  They continue to sail w/ partial crew and no pax, then I completely agree with you that they 'will never come back'.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 2:46 PM, smokeybandit said:

NCL just threw in the towel for July cruises due to how strict the CDC's guidance is

FDR doesn't want his passengers to have to worry about soiling their mask when they eat soup. I'm all for what FDR is "fighting" for.

12 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

That is exactly what hubby and I plan to do. We won't be cruising while there are still mask mandates, especially with masking in between bites and sipping drinks. That is not a pleasant dining experience, if you ask me. We will gladly wait.

I hear you.  It'll be a while then.  I've said this before.  There is no "masking between bites and sips" rule.  That is a wildly exaggerated interpretation of the rule.  But it appears to make people feel better to think that...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

No authority has suggested wearing masks between bites. It is a canard dreamed up by anti-CDC posters. What the CDC has suggested is brief meals. A bite is not a meal.

I too will not be cruising while masks are required for everyone. Politics has sadly made fully vaccinated cruises unlikely so I don't expect to be cruising for another year.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, broberts said:

No authority has suggested wearing masks between bites. It is a canard dreamed up by anti-CDC posters. What the CDC has suggested is brief meals. A bite is not a meal.

I too will not be cruising while masks are required for everyone. Politics has sadly made fully vaccinated cruises unlikely so I don't expect to be cruising for another year.

I don't have the CDC guidance in front of me now but I have read it a few times as it has been posted on these cruise forums by several posters. From my recollection of what the CDC guidance states is that a prolonged meal is in violation of the CDC masking guidelines. Are they going to time our meals then? Just how long do we have to consume a standard three course meal? Seems FDR reads those guidelines as "masking in between bites and sips" but what do I know?

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 12:26 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Incorrect. Also applies to private entities that have taken as little as once cent of taxpayer funds - think Port of Galveston.

2 minutes ago, CI66774 said:

Incorrect. Also applies to private entities that have taken as little as once cent of taxpayer funds - think Port of Galveston.

Sorry, but it isn’t the Port of Galveston that would be making the request, it would be a private, international shipping company that have received no taxpayer funds. 

This was made clear in Abbott’s press conference. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Sorry, but it isn’t the Port of Galveston that would be making the request, it would be a private, international shipping company that have received no taxpayer funds. 

This was made clear in Abbott’s press conference. 

Provide the link of Abbott stating cruise lines would be allowed to mandate vaccination passports/certs. out of Galveston. The ship can’t dock without the full assistance of the Port. The two are inextricably linked. As such, I would argue the Port is an extension of the cruise line and since the Port is publicly funded, it cannot facilitate any vaccine requirement.