New CDC guidelines for simulated cruises

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I wouldn't put you in this camp, but I would others: there are people on this site who ceaselessly talk about the dangers of having cruising resume, even though (as I stated a moment ago) the CDC acknowledges there will never be 0% risk on a cruise. And the CDC's recently announced guidelines don't call for 100% of passengers to be vaccinated, but 95%. So if the CDC is okay with a realistic scenario, I'm not sure why others think differently. Do they really know better than the CDC? Seems like it, sometimes.

I totally see your point. I don't understand if someone who feels scared or disappointed in the rules is against cruising starting at all.

If you feel scared, don't go. But don't complain about it, its your choice.

If you don't like the CDC rules or the adjusted experience, don't go. But don't complain about it, its your choice.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I totally see your point. I don't understand if someone who feels scared or disappointed in the rules is against cruising starting at all.

If you feel scared, don't go. But don't complain about it, its your choice.

If you don't like the CDC rules or the adjusted experience, don't go. But don't complain about it, its your choice.

I'm in the same camp, whenever the CDC's says it's safe to cruise, we all cruise.

They do this for a living, they know more then I and anyone else on this cruise board.

So I will follow the rules they set out, if I or anyone else doesn't like the rules, you have the option of not cruising again until the rules ae to your likings.

Simple as that.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

And, as others have said, if you don’t like the rules stay home. It’s that simple. 

And the rules say kids can sail on RC ships. So I'm not staying home.  So those that don't like those rules can stay home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, harkinmr said:

And, as others have said, if you don’t like the rules stay home. It’s that simple. 

Or go somewhere else that sounds like a lot more fun.  Land vacations to places with less restrictions are a good option.  Florida is open and so is South Dakota.  No need for a person or their money to stay home.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

NCL just threw in the towel for July cruises due to how strict the CDC's guidance is

As usual you are way off.  They are pulling July because they do not have the time needed to restart their ships.  FDR has said in the past that he needs 90 days.

The worst news from FDR is for the Florida Governor.  NCL will be sticking with fully vaccinated sailings and may move their ships away from Florida if the Governor's ban remains.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/norwegian-could-pull-ships-from-florida/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

As usual you are way off.  They are pulling July because they do not have the time needed to restart their ships.  FDR has said in the past that he needs 90 days.

The worst news from FDR is for the Florida Governor.  NCL will be sticking with fully vaccinated sailings and may move their ships away from Florida if the Governor's ban remains.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/norwegian-could-pull-ships-from-florida/

This isn't one bit the story I'm referring to. I can't link it here but it's a blog about Royal Caribbean that has direct quotes from the exact same call where Del Rio decries the strict CDC protocols.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

NCL just threw in the towel for July cruises due to how strict the CDC's guidance is

I was surprised to see that NCL is sending out offers for free test cruises in August. No wonder Texas joined the lawsuit against this over reach of power. I'm glad I booked Vision (out of Bermuda) in June!

Edited by Vera/Lee
to add info.

23 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Land vacations to places with less restrictions are a good option. 

Cabo San Lucas has some wonderful all-inclusives. Love the Marquis Los Cabos! We were just there a month ago. 

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

This isn't one bit the story I'm referring to. I can't link it here but it's a blog about Royal Caribbean that has direct quotes from the exact same call where Del Rio decries the strict CDC protocols.

I saw the Bloomberg article about the delayed start.  He said that they were going to cancel July because of the time needed to get ships crewed and ready.  I also saw what Del Rio's comments were on the guidance, but that is NOT why July is a no go for them.  

(Bloomberg) -- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. Chief Executive Officer Frank Del Rio said July sailings from the U.S. are no longer possible, given the time it takes to get a ship ready to sail.

“The July U.S. launch, at least for our company, is just not possible,” Del Rio said, speaking on a quarterly call with analysts.

He didn’t give a specific timeline, but the industry generally has said that it needs 90 days to prepare a ship.

18 minutes ago, molly361 said:

The local news here in Florida just made it sound like the cruise lines ARE going to run test cruises.  I'm so confused😇

They will run some type of test cruise anyways since they have been shut down for a year and the crew will need additional training on the new protocols.

Edited by regoodwinjr

23 hours ago, radarcruiser said:

So I'm waiting (impatiently) for the rules to be posted for our Adventure sailing from Nassau.  If there's a requirement for us to wear masks outside (and on the pool deck), I will cancel and take a FCC.  We are already jumping through lots of hoops to go on this cruise.  Here's a short list:

• COVID vaccine required
  • Bahamas Health Visa
  • US requirement for test prior to US re-entry
  • No adequate pier facilities in Nassau (I've heard we will have to check in at the Hilton)
  • Airfare to Nassau
  • Masks in the airports and on the airplanes
  • Sketchy transfers to/from the airport in Nassau
  • Likely very restricted shore excursions
  • Lounge and other venues with restricted capacities
  • Etc., etc. etc.
  • More etc. to be decided

I was excited to go cruising again, and am willing to put up with a lot, but but mask wearing outside (when I've been vaccinated) will be the deal breaker for me. 

Well it's pretty much none of CDC's business what does or does not happen on the Adventure sailings as they don't touch US territory.  If RCCL makes us wear a mask when sitting on a lounger in the open air, it will be because of the Bahamian authorities or their own foolishness.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I wouldn't put you in this camp, but I would others: there are people on this site who ceaselessly talk about the dangers of having cruising resume, even though (as I stated a moment ago) the CDC acknowledges there will never be 0% risk on a cruise. And the CDC's recently announced guidelines don't call for 100% of passengers to be vaccinated, but 95%. So if the CDC is okay with a realistic scenario, I'm not sure why others think differently. Do they really know better than the CDC? Seems like it, sometimes.

By the way, did anyone else find the 95% and 98% vaccine requirements strange?  Why not 100%?  Is this to allow the occasional person to board without adequate vaccine proof due perhaps to misunderstanding, a particular health condition that prohibits vaccines, or in situations where you have a group of 20 where one person didn't get the memo that it was two weeks after the second shot?  Just guessing here - it's not in-character for CDC to be reasonable about anything so I presume it's for some sinister reason but I can't think of one.

1 hour ago, regoodwinjr said:

They will run some type of test cruise anyways since they have been shut down for a year and the crew will need additional training on the new protocols.

They also reported that each ship has to do a test cruise in order to sail.  That would be a LOT of test cruises if true.

1 hour ago, garywatson said:

By the way, did anyone else find the 95% and 98% vaccine requirements strange?  Why not 100%?  Is this to allow the occasional person to board without adequate vaccine proof due perhaps to misunderstanding, a particular health condition that prohibits vaccines, or in situations where you have a group of 20 where one person didn't get the memo that it was two weeks after the second shot?  Just guessing here - it's not in-character for CDC to be reasonable about anything so I presume it's for some sinister reason but I can't think of one.

The 95% allows for younger children to cruise with their family.

39 minutes ago, molly361 said:

They also reported that each ship has to do a test cruise in order to sail.  That would be a LOT of test cruises if true.

A lot of test cruises and a lot of expense, or they can require vaccinations. 

34 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

The 95% allows for younger children to cruise with their family.

I believe the intent of the 5% is to accommodate people who can't get the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, not "all kids too young to vaccinate"

Take the Mariner for example. Occupancy is 4,252 people. 5% is 212. Do you think you have ever been on a cruise with only 200 kids? Even if that was the plan, these cruises are already booked. How do you get all the families to rebook? It is a logistical nightmare.

5 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I believe the intent of the 5% is to accommodate people who can't get the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, not "all kids too young to vaccinate"

Take the Mariner for example. Occupancy is 4,252 people. 5% is 212. Do you think you have ever been on a cruise with only 200 kids? Even if that was the plan, these cruises are already booked. How do you get all the families to rebook? It is a logistical nightmare.

I was not on this webinar for travel agents, so I can not verify that this report is true:

Royal Caribbean's Senior Vice President, Sales, Trade Support and Service, Vicki Freed, told travel agents in a webinar that the CDC's plan was purposefully left short of requiring 100% vaccinated passengers so that kids could sail.

8 minutes ago, jrapps said:

And this quote was from the CEO:

With Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine very likely getting approval for children as young as 12 years old, that essentially leaves the 11 and under age bracket as the demographic that would not be able to be included in the 95% guideline by the CDC.

Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Michael Bayley said during last week's earnings call with investors that the amount of children under 12 years old is not a significant number, "Obviously, we carry a lot of kids 11 and under. But, relatively speaking, as a percentage of our total guest count, it’s quite a small number. So we’re not overly concerned with that."

3 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

And this quote was from the CEO:

With Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine very likely getting approval for children as young as 12 years old, that essentially leaves the 11 and under age bracket as the demographic that would not be able to be included in the 95% guideline by the CDC.

Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Michael Bayley said during last week's earnings call with investors that the amount of children under 12 years old is not a significant number, "Obviously, we carry a lot of kids 11 and under. But, relatively speaking, as a percentage of our total guest count, it’s quite a small number. So we’re not overly concerned with that."

I think this was more posturing or wishful thinking, but I admit I am not the expert. My only knowledge of it is seeing how many kids are in the kids club when I drop mine off on the cruises...and its more than 200 kids.

Also don't forget, vaccinating 12-15 is not the flip of a switch. It's not even approved in the US yet. Assume it is approved next week, kids need their appt to get the first shot, wait 3 weeks, get the 2nd shot, wait 2 more weeks, and only THEN are they fully vaccinated. So a bunch of 12-15 year olds will first be vaccinated beginning around mid July. And that's assuming they all get appointments immediately. As a parent, I would struggle to justify keeping a cruise within a final payment/cancellation window without knowing for sure if my kid got the 2nd shot on time and was fully vaccinated.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist here, I want to cruise, I want my kids to cruise...I'm just looking at it objectively. It's a timing game. If the first cruises are mid to late August, then sure. I can see it. If they already have more than 5% under 11 booked, it will hard to rebook but once school starts that is more realistic.

I think the people on this forum who think they are sailing in July, middle of summer, on a fully vaccinated cruise, with only 5% kids unvacinated, and they can bring THEIR kids in that small 5%...I just don't see it happening.

1 minute ago, jrapps said:

I think this was more posturing or wishful thinking, but I admit I am not the expert. My only knowledge of it is seeing how many kids are in the kids club when I drop mine off on the cruises...and its more than 200 kids.

Also don't forget, vaccinating 12-15 is not the flip of a switch. It's not even approved in the US yet. Assume it is approved next week, kids need their appt to get the first shot, wait 3 weeks, get the 2nd shot, wait 2 more weeks, and only THEN are they fully vaccinated. So a bunch of 12-15 year olds will first be vaccinated beginning around mid July. And that's assuming they all get appointments immediately. As a parent, I would struggle to justify keeping a cruise within a final payment/cancellation window without knowing for sure if my kid got the 2nd shot on time and was fully vaccinated.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist here, I want to cruise, I want my kids to cruise...I'm just looking at it objectively. It's a timing game. If the first cruises are mid to late August, then sure. I can see it. If they already have more than 5% under 11 booked, it will hard to rebook but once school starts that is more realistic.

I think the people on this forum who think they are sailing in July, middle of summer, on a fully vaccinated cruise, with only 5% kids unvacinated, and they can bring THEIR kids in that small 5%...I just don't see it happening.

I am on several FB roll call groups for Adventure out of Nassau in June and July, and people are bringing their kids on the Adventure sailings. At this time kids over 10 need a Covid test to enter the Bahamas, but I think RCL is asking for Covid tests for all unvaccinated kids. Of course that could change as the cruises get closer to actually sailing.  So yes, families who want t cruise this summer are booking on the Adventure.  Not sure how the summer Bermuda sailings are doing in relation to families. 

Just now, sandebeach said:

I am on several FB roll call groups for Adventure out of Nassau in June and July, and people are bringing their kids on the Adventure sailings. At this time kids over 10 need a Covid test to enter the Bahamas, but I think RCL is asking for Covid tests for all unvaccinated kids. Of course that could change as the cruises get closer to actually sailing.  So yes, families who want t cruise this summer are booking on the Adventure.  Not sure how the summer Bermuda sailings are doing in relation to families. 

Sorry, I meant IF they tried to restart in FL with a vaccine required. Of course, families that want to cruise can (and should) go on the Adventure, that is a great option. I only meant that when RCL tries to restart here in the US, they either need to allow un-vaccinated just like they do on the Adventure and that means test cruises, or go full vaccine required and basically sail with limited to no kids for the next few months on those sailings.

Neither of those are perfect options. I am just as curious as the next person to see what RCCL decides to do here.