CDC-update May 5th

Tjcalley

Wearing a mask onboard throughout the cruise only makes sense as there will probably be unvaccinated passengers on board. DH and I are fully vaccinated since January, but we still wear masks. Efficacy rate of 95% still means there is a 5%, albeit small, chance of contracting Covid. I would think unvaccinated passengers would want to wear masks to help protect themselves from other unvaccinated passengers. Get vaccinated!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you look under Carnival's Cruise Ticket Contract under section #5

"mandatory use by each Guest (except for children under the age of 2 years) of face masks in most locations outside of the Guest’s stateroom while on board, during embarkation, disembarkation and shore excursions".  

Ya'll need to read this.  Lot of stuff related to the restrictions related to Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, joepeka said:

In addition to the above, this (from cruise industry news) today from the CDC regarding buffets and shore excursions:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24942-cdc-will-eliminate-cruise-ship-buffet-require-organized-shore-excursions.html

Yeah it will be a hard pass for me if this is the new norm. 1st you couldn't find a place to sit due to chair hogs and now each lounger 6ft apart...2nd pre packaged meals?? The amount of people that eat at the buffet is enormous and also alot do not like to eat in the main dining room for dinner. I don't see how this will work for dinner. 

• Like 3

I don't think the buffets will be eliminated. They just will not be self-service anymore. How are they going to feed everybody without the buffet?  The dining room would have to be nonstop.  Won't work.  

As for only leaving the ship on carnival excursions,  that's a deal breaker for me.  This is all so stupid.  

Edited by joeyancho
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

So, it sounds like masks need to be worn at port and in US waters.  Does that mean once a ship is in International waters, the mask isn't needed?  Thx in advance for your thoughts on this😀

How is the CDC to govern a ship in international waters ? Then again i am sure 50% of the people would squeal. If it's a requirement to sailing ill do it with a scowl on my face  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

How is the CDC to govern a ship in international waters ? Then again i am sure 50% of the people would squeal. If it's a requirement to sailing ill do it with a scowl on my face  

Yep, in the era of smartphones with advanced cameras, the cruiseline will never get way with it. Even before covid, if people saw something that they knew was wrong, easily half would video it then report to crew

Edited by embarkation75

I don't see a problem with no self-serve buffets. On our Holland America cruises the past few years most of the food on the buffets have been pretty much served by crew and it's never been an issue.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, embarkation75 said:

Nothing terribly surprising. With that stated, those desiring to get off the ship and meander wherever on their own at ports, are really going to hate this.

I'm no stranger to bumping my dates forward .all this will pass and be forgotten.carnival has had my money for so long I just want to take any cruise to get my money's worth and be done with it.i.miss my road trips more than cruising.

5 minutes ago, Shipof6Fools said:

I have said it before and I will say it again, the CDC is vastly overstepping their bounds. These rules show they have no idea how cruising works. Grab and go meals haha.

Agree 100%.  Grab and go?  Seriously?  What are we going to do with that?  Have a picnic?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Carnival has done limited grab and go in the past on Serenity.

Carnival's updated ticket contract lists a number of ways passengers can miss the boat, literally. You can bet passengers will have to sign waivers that they will obey the cruise line (not CDC) covid rules or accept that they can be given the boot.

• Like 2

Wearing a mask on the pool deck while sun bathing is ridiculous.  We have a balcony cabin, but the crazy mask rules are making me really think about rescheduling for 2022 in the hopes that sanity will prevail.

Also, people have to wear masks at sit down dinners.  Give me a break.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1