CDC Changes For U.S Based Cruises

Cruising89143

32 minutes ago, jules815 said:

I have a feeling it will be like HAL, or how it is currently on MSC ships in the med. Buffet will be open, but not self serve, which is fine with me. (I'd actually prefer if it could stay this way.)

But then folks won’t be able to pick out things like feta cheese and shrimp from the salads leaving none for the rest of us!! 🤣🤣

31 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

But then folks won’t be able to pick out things like feta cheese and shrimp from the salads leaving none for the rest of us!! 🤣🤣

Oh my gosh! It's so funny you should mention the Feta cheese, because after I typed my post, I was thinking about the Greek salad on the buffet in the Windjammer on RC ships, and how many times all the feta was missing. 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KennyFla said:

I really don't understand this philosophy by the CDC.   If everyone on board is vaccinated (or the vast majority), we should be cruising like it is 2019.

Ok, for the unvaccinated cruise, I can see the restrictions, which is what MSC is doing in Europe.

I would rather go on a vaccinated cruise with no restrictions.

Either the vaccine works or it doesn't.

They do work and we know that. If they choose not to have at least 95% of the passengers vaccinated, then they have to do the test cruises for each ship and carry out a several simulated scenarios showing they have plans in place to handle an outbreak onboard. I think most of us here would much rather go on a 100% vaccinated cruise with no restrictions but that just isn't going to happen for a myriad of reasons. I'm not aware of any cruises anywhere in the world operating under that premise at this point. 

8 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

I just can't imaging walking around outside on the cruise deck wearing a mask. 

Now the dilemma, do I cancel my upcoming cruise and lose my deposit or "hope" the mask mandate is less restrictive in the Fall? 😟

If wearing a mask will ruin the experience for you, I'd cancel and monitor the situation for maybe summer/fall 2022.   I would be surprised if masking weren't required on ships at least through 2021.

But - do you have to lose your deposit?  Won't they let you reschedule with their Flexible Booking Changes promotion?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DSJ28 said:

If wearing a mask will ruin the experience for you, I'd cancel and monitor the situation for maybe summer/fall 2022.   I would be surprised if masking weren't required on ships at least through 2021.

But - do you have to lose your deposit?  Won't they let you reschedule with their Flexible Booking Changes promotion?

There is mask wearing and then there is MASK WEARING.  Frank del Rio (who is the CEO of Norwegian Holdings (Oceania, NCL, and Regent)) interprets the latest CDC guidelines to mean folks would need to put on their mask between every spoonful of soup.  Perhaps that is a slight exaggeration but the CDC made it clear that lengthy dining would not  be an excuse NOT to wear a mask.  So perhaps you would only need to re mask between courses :).  Not sure many folks are willing to put up with that kind of nonsense.  The CDC also limits hot tub use to a single person (with the exception of families traveling together).  I guess somebody will apply for the job of "hot tub timer" and stand with a stopwatch to make sure each person limits their hot tub time to no more then 5 minutes.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DSJ28 said:

I didn't know about the Flexible Booking. I'll have to look into that.

What does this mean? I bought my tickets Dec 2020 and the cruise is September 2021. Am I able to take advantage of this?

• this promo is valid for bookings confirmed from August 1st 2020 to May 31st 2021, only on all Summer 2021 and Winter 2021/2022 cruises
Edited by kilkoyne

19 hours ago, Shippy said:

We have a cruise booked for Sept. & another for next March.

Both have a high vacancy rate.

Especially for the September cruise where the current CDC regulations will probably apply...I am sure they are going to limit the number of passengers. That means that the ship will not seem crowded even with social distancing.

AND...

remember 95% of passengers must be vaccinated,. That will cut down on the number of families with children under 12.

We don't really know about kids and how many vaccinated by then.  With doses going unused now by us.  We do know September kids are back in school so of course less kids than summer or spring break.

On 5/6/2021 at 5:56 AM, sidari said:

... Costa have resumed sailing from Savona this week with Costa Smeralda and I am waiting on a reply from someone on the sailing....

Seems they already had a COVID-19 case on Smerelda.  From what I read only one person tested positive on the ship, was isolated in their cabin and was disembarked in Civitavecchia.  Read "several" close contacts also quarantined but tested negative.  At least the cruise wasn't halted like last time.

Edited by Até

29 minutes ago, Até said:

Read "several" close contacts also quarantined but tested negative.  At least the cruise wasn't halted like last time.

Those close contacts, whether they've just tested negative or not, are still susceptible to incubation for 10 to 14 days after the date of exposure.  If Costa was doing it correctly they would be quarantining and disembarking those passengers as well.

45 minutes ago, Até said:

Seems they already had a COVID-19 case on Smerelda.  From what I read only one person tested positive on the ship, was isolated in their cabin and was disembarked in Civitavecchia.  Read "several" close contacts also quarantined but tested negative.  At least the cruise wasn't halted like last time.

Thanks for reporting this, Até. This gives me confidence that these types of isolated incidents will continue to be handled correctly and prevent a major outbreak (which some people continually say is inevitable-I don't agree).

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Frank del Rio (who is the CEO of Norwegian Holdings (Oceania, NCL, and Regent)) interprets the latest CDC guidelines to mean folks would need to put on their mask between every spoonful of soup.  Perhaps that is a slight exaggeration but the CDC made it clear that lengthy dining would not  be an excuse NOT to wear a mask. 

The way I read this, I don't think Mr. del Rio is off base.  Don't dare to stop spooning your soup into your mouth until the bowl is empty!  And, then slap that mask on your face immediately!  (I wonder if I could take the time to wipe my mouth with my napkin before I slap my mask on?)  

The guidelines for wearing a mask when dining are idiotic.  They make no sense!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The way I read this, I don't think Mr. del Rio is off base.  Don't dare to stop spooning your soup into your mouth until the bowl is empty!  And, then slap that mask on your face immediately!  (I wonder if I could take the time to wipe my mouth with my napkin before I slap my mask on?)  

The guidelines for wearing a mask when dining are idiotic.  They make no sense!

I read that today and thought why would anyone waste money on a cruise to do that, the same with drinks.

• Like 2

"tables, chairs, loungers, sun beds, and poufs............... can be grouped together for families and traveling companions."

"whirlpool spas should be used by the same family or traveling companions only"

There's no way anyone can tell who's a traveling companion and who isn't. Everyone on the ship will be travel companions.

There is no way these rules can be enforced. 

Also

"removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order"

What is "extended? One minute? Two minutes? Ten minutes? Ten seconds?  There will be violations, the rules are too vague and too restrictive.

Edited by kilkoyne
  • Like 4

Del Rio is just trying to inflame the situation.  He didn't complain about these rules months ago on simulated voyages.  Since October last year NCL's and other cruise line's plan was to wait out the CSO which they gambled would be dropped since the pandemic would surely be over at latest by this Spring.  After a very limited response the CDC outlined more detailed technical guidelines so NCL then went public with their fully vaccinated proposal.  And the CDC agreed if they did that the cruise line could skip the test cruises.  DelRio was hoping for a drop of most all CDC regulations to be replaced with their own meagerly worded, uninforceable Safe Sail program, but that didn't happen. 

Sure, it would be nice if certain rules were lessened for fully vaccinated sailings but in reality the past/current mask rule only affects the people who planned on sitting in a restaurant, bar or at a table all day with a drink in front of them just to not wear a mask.

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Até said:

Del Rio is just trying to inflame the situation.

When it comes to my ranking of opinion about the top three cruise line executives whose companies are publically held , Mr. del Rio comes in third.  But,  inflaming the situation?  No, I don't agree with that.  He seems to be arguing for some "common sense" in the edicts that come from the CDC.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thanks for reporting this, Até. This gives me confidence that these types of isolated incidents will continue to be handled correctly and prevent a major outbreak (which some people continually say is inevitable-I don't agree).

Had a reply from a friend onboard who says that Costa have not made it known to guests about the positive case!

• Thanks 1

I don't understand all the blowback about mask wearing. The rules will be relaxed as cruising proves to be relatively safe and massive outbreaks preventable. 

Those who are comfortable with mask wearing, even extensive mask wearing, should be able to enjoy crying this summer while also paving the way for less restrictions by Winter, even less by Spring 2022, and even less by Winter again.

Everyone can determine when they want to resume cruising based on their cruise and covid prevention preferences.

One doesn't hop into a car a hit the gas.

• Like 5

On 5/7/2021 at 7:18 PM, rkacruiser said:

He seems to be arguing for some "common sense" in the edicts that come from the CDC. 

He says stupid stuff just to excite the people who want to cruise right now with no restrictions.  Intentional misrepresentations of anything he thinks will put pressure to remove all government COVID-19 regulations placed on his business, and he doesn't even realize how bad what he says can backfire on the industry.  I think (almost) everyone knows the CDC isn't requiring people to wear a mask between every spoonful of soup, don't know how or why he would try to push that idea other than to rile up the anti maskers and try to get sympathy over claimed rules that really don't exist.

One thing he better think of, especially while thumbing his nose at the CDC with his plans to sail from Jamaica and Dominican Republic, is what people he is going to attract with his rhetoric.  If by some chance those foreign port sailings do go, even with supposedly vaccinated passengers, it will be questionable if NCL's self-regulating Safe Sail protocols will be any match for the dissentious crowd he is pandering to.

I have no sympathy for NCL or the other cruise lines who have done practically nothing to begin compliance or even discuss CDC requirements which were first introduced in April of 2020.  Those cruise lines have always been playing the wait this pandemic out game, following the "it's going to disappear" mantra.  A gamble they have lost and are now in dire circumstances.

Do you think MSC and the other cruise lines didn't and aren't currently having to meet other country's safety protocols, which look extremely close to those those imposed by the US?  NCL and other large cruise lines had no interest in cutting into their bottom line to and begin sailings in Europe either, they decided to wait until the regulations were gone and unfortunately it was a bad decision.  NCLH should really think hard about the $36 million total pay they blew last year on his "leadership", but that seems to be the direction the company has taken since 2015.

Seeing MSC working with other countries, cruising since last August, and now bringing in their US based ships for crew vaccinations gives me hope they will soon announce CDC compliant restricted sailings.  I'm hoping for MSC to give CLIA propaganda the boot and expose the complainer cruise line's misrepresentations for what they are.

• Like 5

On 5/6/2021 at 8:36 PM, kilkoyne said:

I didn't know about the Flexible Booking. I'll have to look into that.

What does this mean? I bought my tickets Dec 2020 and the cruise is September 2021. Am I able to take advantage of this?

• this promo is valid for bookings confirmed from August 1st 2020 to May 31st 2021, only on all Summer 2021 and Winter 2021/2022 cruises

Short answer....yes.

you can change to another cruise , even after final payment.

We booked last year for October 2021. Decided to bump it up to End of November. Just called our TA and had him change it to new cruise by calling MSC. Still shows original deposit date on new invoice. New pricing took place.
I would just ask to have it moved to new cruise you want and have original deposit applied. If you get an answer you don’t like HUCA. Next agent may be more knowledgeable.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Até said:

He says stupid stuff just to excite the people who want to cruise right now with no restrictions.  Intentional misrepresentations of anything he thinks will put pressure to remove all government COVID-19 regulations placed on his business, and he doesn't even realize how bad what he says can backfire on the industry.  I think (almost) everyone knows the CDC isn't requiring people to wear a mask between every spoonful of soup, don't know how or why he would try to push that idea other than to rile up the anti maskers and try to get sympathy over claimed rules that really don't exist.

One thing he better think of, especially while thumbing his nose at the CDC with his plans to sail from Jamaica and Dominican Republic, is what people he is going to attract with his rhetoric. 

I think his main complaint is that there are no differences in restrictions between vaccinated and un-vaccinated cruises.  As you say, MSC has been cruising in Europe since August.  But not in the US.  If they can not adhere to the CDC's guidelines, no one can.

We have seen that the only movement from the CDC has been because of public pressure put on them.  I say keep it up.

• Like 2

And the irony is that the people who complain about the weighty, life changing, unfair and unconstitutional enforcement of mask wearing ...

... are the people who are squarely responsible for us still having to wear these stupid masks.

If everyone would have just gotten on board with the protocol, we'd have been done with this 6 months in.

• Like 5