Discontinuing the Patter?

CruzinNoony

Sorry I haven't read all 5 pages (because the answers on the first page seemed repetitive).

But if there are discussion of no physical Patter it could be a Covid measure. My church, which just began meeting in person a couple of months ago for the first time in 12 months, hasn't resumed handing out a bulletin/order of worship yet because of Covid and all the pew Bibles and hymnals have been removed. No more passing the plate either, there are donation stations where you can drop your tithe. We even have special communion cups that look like Coffee Mate individual creamers containing the wafer and wine.

It is part of adjusting to the post Covid world. If I have to give up a paper Patter to resume cruising, I will.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2021 at 5:57 PM, rbtan said:

No great loss. We found the Patter to be garbage compared to the daily on Cunard or Celebrity. It was more about sales & other junk as opposed to quality info. Very little about news & things. More about where to shop.

On our last cruise the Patter was not delivered to the room and as you noted it was no great loss.  You could get it at the Purser's Desk.  Basically it is just a schedule and they had electronic Patters available every where.

On 5/18/2021 at 12:27 PM, Thrak said:

On one of our last cruises a number of folks (us included) went to the Vista Lounge for Trivia because it was listed for that venue in the online version of the Patter. We all sat around for a little bit and then I went looking around the ship to see what the deal was. I found Trivia in session in Explorer's. When I told the staff that it was clearly listed as being in Vista Lounge they said they never check the electronic version and had no idea it was listed that way. I went back to Vista Lounge - where people were still waiting - and told them the activity was in Explorer's. Naturally it was too late to get involved with Trivia at that point. The location was listed correctly in the paper version.

Well lets hope the electronic version will have improved. Seems Princess is having all kinds of issues right now 😞

1 hour ago, greenie082756 said:

Well lets hope the electronic version will have improved. Seems Princess is having all kinds of issues right now 😞

14 months with zero revenue....  hunh, who'da thunk that could lead to issues.

17 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

On our last cruise the Patter was not delivered to the room and as you noted it was no great loss.  You could get it at the Purser's Desk.  Basically it is just a schedule and they had electronic Patters available every where.

Was there a copy in the cabin on embarkation day?

If not, how do new cruisers even know it exists?

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Was there a copy in the cabin on embarkation day?

If not, how do new cruisers even know it exists?

They'll likely see other passengers carrying it around.

That's how I discovered that there's a daily "newspaper" on World Cruises. We were on a segment of a WC and noticed others carrying it around. Asked where it could be obtained and started grabbing one (in the library) whenever I had the chance.😀

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

They'll likely see other passengers carrying it around.

That's how I discovered that there's a daily "newspaper" on World Cruises. We were on a segment of a WC and noticed others carrying it around. Asked where it could be obtained and started grabbing one (in the library) whenever I had the chance.😀

When was the last time you did see the printed news summary on Princess?

Princess used to have a daily New York Times news summary delivered to the cabin each day.

Then they changed to only having it available for pickup in the library or at the Purser's desk.

Then they changed to having one copy in the library for everyone to share.

Then, at least on the cruises I have been on for the last several years, they eliminated even that one library copy.

Princess said that since news was available on the cabin TV there was no need for the printed version of the news.

Another cruise line used to have printed news summaries from around the world available near the purser's desk. There were versions based on USA news, Canadian news, UK news, Australian news and several others including in German, Spanish and a couple of other languages. But these were all eliminated about two years ago.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

When was the last time you did see the printed news summary on Princess?

Princess used to have a daily New York Times news summary delivered to the cabin each day.

Then they changed to only having it available for pickup in the library or at the Purser's desk.

Then they changed to having one copy in the library for everyone to share.

This was on the Pacific Princess 2019 WC segment before the shutdown.

3 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

This was on the Pacific Princess 2019 WC segment before the shutdown.

We were on the Pacific Princess for two weeks in the Caribbean starting December 22, 2019 and if they had a news printout then, I did not see it.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you watching MedallionClass Mondays, here's a great video of what's to pertaining to the patter, so this debate is over for now:

What he says pertaining to the patter is that you can now view the entire patter on the TV OR receive a paper copy. To me, this sounds like you can tell your steward if you'd like to request a daily paper copy and/or grab one by the Guest Services desk. And though he didn't address it, I bring up again that this hopefully means those paper advertisements are a bygone relic.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

For those of you watching MedallionClass Mondays, here's a great video of what's to pertaining to the patter, so this debate is over for now:

What he says pertaining to the patter is that you can now view the entire patter on the TV OR receive a paper copy. To me, this sounds like you can tell your steward if you'd like to request a daily paper copy and/or grab one by the Guest Services desk. And though he didn't address it, I bring up again that this hopefully means those paper advertisements are a bygone relic.

If they did not bring it up, I would not assume the paper advertisements are gone.

I think they know no one will voluntarily pick up the paper advertisements at Guest Services.

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

If they did not bring it up, I would not assume the paper advertisements are gone.

I think they know no one will voluntarily pick up the paper advertisements at Guest Services.

They may just have a box by guest services that will store the daily patter.  otherwise you use the screens or your smartphone

I am not a die-hard save the planet person but I am a serious tree hugger and do recycle!  So it really panged me to get all that paper to our cabin for things we had no interest in (Art Auctions anyone, apologies for those  who do enjoy that) took less than 2 minutes to scan the stack, maybe find one thing to write on my hanging wall calendar and toss the rest...such a waste - and multiply that by 2,000 cabins!!!  The few Medallion ships still passed out paper...so I hope that with every ship now having Medallion they will make big improvements.  Based on all the emails we get about now you can do this and that using Medallion, and having this extended down time to totally perfect the system, it has no excuse to not be first class technology 🤞🏻

PS.  I do like the Port Guides in paper 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

For those of you watching MedallionClass Mondays, here's a great video of what's to pertaining to the patter, so this debate is over for now: To me, this sounds like you can tell your steward if you'd like to request a daily paper copy and/or grab one by the Guest Services desk.

How can Miles be a "Senior" anything, unless it is a Senior in HS, ha ha, OMG!

It sounds to me like a Patter will be available, but I'm guess at Guest Services.