NCL may pull out of Florida over DeSantis' rules forbidding proof of vaccination

drew69

26 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

He's screwed the cruise industry, as well as those who were looking forward to the revenue they receive from passengers.

That said, I'm sure Jamaica  is thrilled with this turn of events.

What a drama.  Geeze. 

They won't be abandoning their investment in the port terminals, etc. and historic % of USA cruise port passengers from Florida.  They may delay USA port based cruises, but that's all.  

Currently, Florida is NOT impeding cruises.

Currently, the CDC won't even respond to NCL's plan to have fully vaccinated crew and passengers.

Again, there are no equivalents to Floridas top three ports anywhere for access to the Caribbean.

Jamaica?  Please.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

First of all, 4 question marks? Really? Calm down.

Second, no, you didn't say NCL you said "the cruise lines," plural. Which clearly means all of them, but it certainly does not mean only NCL.

Oops. My bad. Yes, you are correct. I meant NCL.

I'm calm. I'm basking in this glorious weather we are having today in central Florida with the super low humidity. Loving it!

• Like 1

Just now, coffeebean said:

Oops. My bad. Yes, you are correct. I meant NCL.

I'm calm. I'm basking in this glorious weather we are having today in central Florida with the super low humidity. Loving it!

It's raining here in Virginia. You just HAD to rub it in, didn't you? 🤣

I'm only kidding, of course. I'm envious more than anything else! ☺️🌞😎

• Like 1

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

We get our fill of heavy rains in the summer months. Keeps everything green. 🙂

10 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Are you getting ready for the cicada invasion? As someone from an area where this does not happen so it fascinates me to some degree. My brother and sister in law moved to N VA ten years ago and this will be his first experience. He says he has the bug zappers ready 😂

1 minute ago, Navis said:

Are you getting ready for the cicada invasion? As someone from an area where this does not happen so it fascinates me to some degree. My brother and sister in law moved to N VA ten years ago and this will be his first experience. He says he has the bug zappers ready 😂

Yes, we are. In fact, it's funny you say that: yesterday during my usual walk at lunchtime, I came across about 30 of their disgusting exoskeletons on the sidewalk. They're a-comin'. Yay. 😂

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, we are. In fact, it's funny you say that: yesterday during my usual walk at lunchtime, I came across about 30 of their disgusting exoskeletons on the sidewalk. They're a-comin'. Yay. 😂

I am so jealous! I think that would be so cool to observe at least once. 

7 minutes ago, Navis said:

I am so jealous! I think that would be so cool to observe at least once. 

Well they're definitely loud, that's for sure. I was here in 2004 last time we had the 17-year brood. It sounded like a bunch of lawn mowers. There's no getting around their, uh, mating calls.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Two points: Natural immunity from having had Covid-19 isn't forever, but I'm pretty sure if I got over Covid-19 on May 5 and sailed on a cruise ship 2 weeks after recovery, I'd be fine. That's what we're talking about, after all, which is sailing on cruise ships. My own physician told me my immunity would likely last for several months, again plenty of time if I had a cruise planned. My second point is: where do you get the idea that "herd immunity has failed so far." I've actually been reading the opposite, namely that we may already have reached it.

Who is we?  This is a global issue.  Should we limit cruises only to people who come from "safe" places? That didn't exactly work in 2020 so no reason to believe it would work now.

Brazil thought they were close to herd immunity.  Some 100,000 + deaths later (on top of the earlier 300,000) they are scrambling to get vaccine programs going.

If you recover from covid you are not necessarily immune from a mutation and there are a few of them around, so no, you might not be fine.  And without serology you have no way of knowing how long your immunity would last - too many variables to even guesstimate; it likely varies by degree just for starters.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Navis said:

Bug zappers really won't do much. Those bugs die in droves all by themselves. I remember walking on our driveway one year in NJ and not being able to avoid them with every step. There were dead cicadas everywhere? YUK!!!

Edited by coffeebean

22 hours ago, Shidah said:

Leaving from Savannah, Baltimore, Charleston, Norfolk all sound like great permanent solutions.  I personally hate traveling to Florida to cruise out of, and always preferred NY due to proximity.  But the mayor of NY trashed that city in the last year, so may be awhile before I feel safe there.  Hope the rumors are true about looking for more northern ports. 

I am afraid the rumors might be just that....

17 hours ago, julig22 said:

If you recover from covid you are not necessarily immune from a mutation and there are a few of them around, so no, you might not be fine.  And without serology you have no way of knowing how long your immunity would last - too many variables to even guesstimate; it likely varies by degree just for starters.

You know who else is not necessarily immune from a mutation? The world. Even with vaccination. This expectation that covid is eradicated with the vaccine grossly misunderstands just what type of a worldwide effort that takes. Mutations are a reality of highly infectious disease. Step 1 is to accept that. Not to mention we don't know how long this shot lasts and already know it needs boosters.

There is no proof that my immunity from previous infection is insufficient and/or puts anyone at risk. There is no proof that I'm a special incubator for mutations. There is no proof of what the long-term effects of this new vaccine are, let alone the various boosters so many people are already submitting to.

There is a vaccine available for anyone concerned or at risk for COVID effects. More and more immunities are being reached each day. The death rate is already in freefall. Governor DeSantis is wildly popular in his policies. Florida has been operating near full steam and the sky has not fallen. It's time to get past the fear mongering and to move on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

You know who else is not necessarily immune from a mutation? The world. Even with vaccination. This expectation that covid is eradicated with the vaccine grossly misunderstands just what type of a worldwide effort that takes. Mutations are a reality of highly infectious disease. Step 1 is to accept that. Not to mention we don't know how long this shot lasts and already know it needs boosters.

There is no proof that my immunity from previous infection is insufficient and/or puts anyone at risk. There is no proof that I'm a special incubator for mutations. There is no proof of what the long-term effects of this new vaccine are, let alone the various boosters so many people are already submitting to.

I agree with some of what you say.  I am fully aware of what it would take to eradicate COVID completely - if that can even happen at this point, probably not in my lifetime.

But there is proof that you may not be immune to a mutation if you've had covid (both the Brazil and India surges are thought to be from mutations) and proof that some of the vaccines do provide some protection to 1st generation mutations.  And there are varying degrees of "having covid" - if you have a mild case do you have the same immunity as someone who required hospitalization?  

You are correct that long term effects of the vaccine aren't known but we also don't know the long term effects of those who survive.  We do know the short term.

On 5/8/2021 at 6:27 AM, david_sobe said:

I saw this quote from a local leader and thought it really hit the nail on the head:

“At this point, I wonder if he’s considering suing himself. If he’s the obstacle to reopening,” 

Amen!

On 5/8/2021 at 6:27 AM, david_sobe said:

I saw this quote from a local leader and thought it really hit the nail on the head:

“At this point, I wonder if he’s considering suing himself. If he’s the obstacle to reopening,” 

Several lawyers, well self-announced, would probably conclude that he could not.  

On 5/8/2021 at 10:20 AM, Joebucks said:

Not to mention we don't know how long this shot lasts and already know it needs boosters.

Where has it been established that it needs boosters?  Did you just make that up?

Edited by CaptainHazelwood
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I think by that time, herd immunity will be in effect by this time next year.  So yes, just like a flu shot, one should probably get a COVID shot every year.  But, I'm not an MD, so I'd defer to ones personal physician for that advice.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2021 at 3:03 PM, graphicguy said:

He's screwed the cruise industry, as well as those who were looking forward to the revenue they receive from passengers.

That said, I'm sure Jamaica  is thrilled with this turn of events.

Here is what was said in the interview May 6th.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is allowing cruise ships to resume operations this summer, but Norwegian Cruise Line CEO Frank Del Rio says that will be unlikely given the agency’s tough requirements.

“I seriously doubt we will be able to stand up a vessel out of a U.S. port in July. August is also in jeopardy and it’s all because of the disjointed guidelines from the CDC,” Norwegian Cruise Line CEO Frank Del Rio said on CNBC’s Closing Bell. “What we received yesterday was anything but a clear path to restarting

Del Rio claimed the requirements put on the cruise industry are tougher than those for any other industry.

“The unfair treatment that the industry has had to endure for over a year continues. It’s got to stop, it’s unfair, it’s un-American and certainly in contradiction with the goals set forth by President [Joe] Biden,” said Del Rio.

From this the Media promoted "DeSantis Stops Cruising From Florida."  And the loyal parrots on these boards run with it.

• Like 4

@KennyFla Well said, buddy. How people can blame the cruise lines for not complying with rules which are clearly self-contradictory, arbitrary and outrageous is beyond me. Putting the mask back on between bites/sips? Are they out of their minds? I wouldn't comply, either, it's ridiculous.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Here is what was said in the interview May 6th.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is allowing cruise ships to resume operations this summer, but Norwegian Cruise Line CEO Frank Del Rio says that will be unlikely given the agency’s tough requirements.

“I seriously doubt we will be able to stand up a vessel out of a U.S. port in July. August is also in jeopardy and it’s all because of the disjointed guidelines from the CDC,” Norwegian Cruise Line CEO Frank Del Rio said on CNBC’s Closing Bell. “What we received yesterday was anything but a clear path to restarting

Del Rio claimed the requirements put on the cruise industry are tougher than those for any other industry.

“The unfair treatment that the industry has had to endure for over a year continues. It’s got to stop, it’s unfair, it’s un-American and certainly in contradiction with the goals set forth by President [Joe] Biden,” said Del Rio.

From this the Media promoted "DeSantis Stops Cruising From Florida."  And the loyal parrots on these boards run with it.

Being that the company is un-American, the ships un-American and most of their employees in-American I wonder why. 

Oh and here's the latest:

Apparently, a mask mandate doesn't qualify as a restriction.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/coronavirus/dc-to-lift-most-covid-19-restrictions-on-may-21/2666711/

"D.C. will lift most COVID-19 restrictions on May 21 and the remainder on June 11, the mayor announced Monday. Face masks will still be required in line with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines." 😆

• Like 2