If your cruise is canceled …

Twitchly

… what happens with your (non-Viking) plane tickets? 

We’ve already got tickets with Delta for our cruise next January. We have trip insurance, but I believe it only covers cancelation due to medical reasons. 

How have you all dealt with plane tickets for canceled cruises?

We had tickets for a Nov. 2020 cruise.  For us, the airlines wound up canceling the flights, so we got the credit.  If we had canceled, it would have been a $250 change fee.  We applied the credit for a Nov. 2021 cruise, fingers are crossed about this one.  

Call Delta. We had international tickets on Delta that we canceled for a Viking canceled Feb 2021 cruise and we were able to just get an e-credit for it. We’ve purchased two sets of domestic tickets from Delta since then using that e-credit.  Very easy to use. 

9 hours ago, Australia08 said:

Call Delta. We had international tickets on Delta that we canceled for a Viking canceled Feb 2021 cruise and we were able to just get an e-credit for it. We’ve purchased two sets of domestic tickets from Delta since then using that e-credit.  Very easy to use. 

Good to hear. I hope they’ll be equally flexible if our cruise gets canceled.

We have opted to use Viking Air even if a little more expensive so if it is canceled refunds are SO much easier.  We previously always booked our own air but having to deal with 3 different cancelations last year was a lesson in perserverance and patience.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, deec said:

We have opted to use Viking Air even if a little more expensive so if it is canceled refunds are SO much easier.  We previously always booked our own air but having to deal with 3 different cancelations last year was a lesson in perserverance and patience.

Right now, I'm with Dee. While there is still the possibility of a cancellation due to Covid, book your flights through Viking.

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Right now, I'm with Dee. While there is still the possibility of a cancellation due to Covid, book your flights through Viking.

That's the best approach. If things go wonky better to let Viking Air deal with it. 

On 5/7/2021 at 11:15 PM, Peregrina651 said:

We wanted to for that very reason, but for some reason the Viking fare (for economy) was more than double. 

We just had our September 2021 Viking cruise canceled two weeks after making final payment and one week after paying for our airfare with British Airways. We immediately rebooked a different Viking cruise. BA was very accommodating. We were able to change our flights with no issue. I believe many airlines are waiving change fees at this time. 

• Like 1

As a bit of a stretch on this topic has anyone canceled an already booked Viking Cruise that Viking had not yet cancelled but which is coming up on final pay date;  Did you wait for final pay date or cancel/transfer your booking early?

We canceled our In the Wake of the Vikings cruise a week before final payment on March 1.  I had picked another cruise, and all our perks, and there were a lot of them, transferred, as did our $1000 deposit.  I talked to a Viking first,, then had our TA make it happen.  Hence our Med. Odyssey trip in Sept. 2022!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

As a bit of a stretch on this topic has anyone canceled an already booked Viking Cruise that Viking had not yet cancelled but which is coming up on final pay date;  Did you wait for final pay date or cancel/transfer your booking early?

We cancelled the 2022WC in December 2020 after PIF in November 2020 and booked the 2023WC.  It was all done on the same day.  The current invoice shows the amount paid as "voucher discount."  The price was slightly higher, so we have $2400pp to pay in November 2021.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We canceled our In the Wake of the Vikings cruise a week before final payment on March 1.  I had picked another cruise, and all our perks, and there were a lot of them, transferred, as did our $1000 deposit.  I talked to a Viking first,, then had our TA make it happen.  Hence our Med. Odyssey trip in Sept. 2022!

We had a final payment on a river cruise due in March. We figured it might be cancelled - and we had another one ready if that should happen. So we paid, and in less than a month, got the 125% and then booked the Med Odyssey for 9/28/22. Which date are you going?

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Isn’t it funny.  That’s our date.  With The Italian Lakes, post. And a few days in Barcelona pre.

We’re not doing any pre or post for this cruise. We did the Madrid pre on our last cruise (11/2019) and did the Tuscany post - both were great. We’ve been to. Barcelona - and will be there again in April, 2022.

2 hours ago, Squawkman said:

We’re not doing any pre or post for this cruise. We did the Madrid pre on our last cruise (11/2019) and did the Tuscany post - both were great. We’ve been to. Barcelona - and will be there again in April, 2022.

Squakman - we'll hope to see you April 7 in Barcelona then!

Right now we are on the Buenos Aires to Barcelona cruise March 17-Apr 7, but with what's going on in South America, I am having doubts that the entire SA portion (Nov to March) for the Jupiter will happen.  Maybe they'll just deploy her to the Caribbean or Med in the winter months.

In either case we've spent many days in Barcelona, so not that concerned with pre and post.

7 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Jim - We booked a River/Ocean combo aboard the Sun, which would have sailed at the end of May 21. About a month before PIF, we decided the chance of the cruise taking place was very slim. Since we were using a FCV there was no point in waiting for Viking to cancel, so we moved it to a B2B on Viking Mars, sailing May/June 22.

When the 23 WC was posted, we again moved from the B2B to the WC.

8 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

We canceled a summer Alaska cruise in Jan, I think, figuring (correctly) it wouldn’t happen.  We had paid in full at booking to get a discount.  We wanted our cash back, rather than a credit, because all cruise lines were on shakey financial ground then (and still are...).  All funds were returned, except what we paid Viking for trip insurance.  Viking pocketed that 😞

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

23 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

....All funds were returned, except what we paid Viking for trip insurance.  Viking pocketed that...

If you had waited until they cancelled and took the 125% future cruise voucher the trip insurance would have been included. 

20 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

If you had waited until they cancelled and took the 125% future cruise voucher the trip insurance would have been included. 

Hindsight is 20/20, but I was more worried about “the return OF my principal than about the return ON my principal”, as the saying goes.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Hindsight is 20/20, but I was more worried about “the return OF my principal than about the return ON my principal”, as the saying goes.

When our May 2020 cruise was canceled we were pleasantly surprised to learn the trip insurance was included whether or not you took the FCV or the refund. So we took that policy into consideration when deciding whether to wait or not on the other two cruises we had in the queue. We decided to wait. 

Edited by CharTrav

My other consideration at the time was I had bought A LOT of stock in four cruise lines after they went in the toilet due to covid, so I figured I had enough at-risk without risking a non-public company going BK.  Luckily, that bet payed off and we will be cruising “for free”, in suites, for the rest of our days 🙂

On 5/9/2021 at 12:41 PM, Jim Avery said:

We had three cruises booked as pandemic was happening. We held off canceling, paid off all three cruises as well as booked shore excursions and Silver Spirits in anticipation of Viking cancelling. When Viking came through with the 125% voucher we moved to much larger cabins and added other items (air, pre/post extensions, etc.).

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 8:00 PM, CCWineLover said:

Squakman - we'll hope to see you April 7 in Barcelona then!

Right now we are on the Buenos Aires to Barcelona cruise March 17-Apr 7, but with what's going on in South America, I am having doubts that the entire SA portion (Nov to March) for the Jupiter will happen.  Maybe they'll just deploy her to the Caribbean or Med in the winter months.

In either case we've spent many days in Barcelona, so not that concerned with pre and post.

My wife and I are booked on Jupiter for late next February.  Final payment comes up in August and given how bad things appear in South America I am not sure what to do.  Best case is that Viking cancels all those SA cruises, but likely well after final payment.

Edited by slewis7