Gratuities in Australia and New Zealand

First, this is not a post on ship gratuities. We’re planning on a cruise from LA to Sydney Oct ‘22. We’re planning on spending a few days post cruise in Sydney. As we’ve never been there, I’d like to know what is customary with regards to tipping/gratuities when we’re at hotels, restaurants, etc. in the city. In the US it’s customary to tip in restaurants, bars or hotels. I’ve heard this is not the custom worldwide and some countries/cultures find this offensive. We don’t want to offend anyone either by giving/withholding a gratuity. What is the custom there?

6 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

No. Full stop. In any and all situations and venues. Just do the exact opposite to your country's custom. A smile and thank you is ample. 

But tips are accepted. I generally tip 10% in restaurants if happy with food and service. Some restaurants here make provision for a tip on the bill. When in Sydney In a cab or uber, if a good ride I would tip the driver 5 or 10 dollars.

But sure, tipping is not mandatory here.

Tipping is rare, not expected and, personally, I would be embarrassed rather than offended if someone offered to tip me for a service for which I am already being paid.

Yes, some people do tip but usually if the service is over and beyond what was expected.

A few years ago, early 90's in Sydney, an American chain (Hard Rock Cafe IIRC) tried to add 10% service fee to every check which caused an outrage among the public and in the press.

Some smaller cafes may have a tip jar on the counter (I have seen this in the US) into which patrons who have paid in cash may drop their change.

A pleasant thank you and a smile is sufficient.

Hopefully, TPTB will have our borders open by then. Enjoy your visit.

just be nice.

I will often round up, more for my benefit than as a tip, too many coins otherwise.

Lets say Taxi (most common time I do it) farms if 8.65 sling him a $10, avoid 4 extra coins in the pocket and don’t have to wait while he fishes around for said coins.

if eating out as a group and service is good, usually do similar, everyone will round up which can be a nice little tip.

Remember minimum adult wage here is getting close to $20 per hour.

• Like 2

In case you are unaware.  Just because you tip someone does not mean they will get to keep all, some or any of that extra cash.  Been there done that 😞

Edited by BrissieB
Extra text.
  • Like 2

Oh, please don't.  The minimum wage here has just gone up to $20 an hour which I agree with.  However, I have noticed when visiting larger cities like Auckland that are used to serving tourists they have started turning the tip option on in the eftpos machines and it really bugs me particularly if I've enjoyed my meal as it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth (figuratively).  I generally complain about it.  It is a habit I would hate to see take hold here.  I own a restaurant and I would never do that to my customers.  The cost of service is part of the menu price, it's not some optional extra that you pay for at the end.  I understand you have your own customs but please don't do that here.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BrissieB said:

In case you are unaware.  Just because you tip someone does not mean they will get to keep all, some or any of that extra cash.  Been there done that 😞

Oh and just so my position is clear.  A big no to tipping. 

• Like 1

Most of the places I have eaten at recently have just produced the magic machine and it is tap and go.

The upper limit was increased by the banks yo discourage use of cash due to the pandemic. Even above the limit, just wave the card and enter PIN, no print out, but sometimes a tip question a. NO get pressed.Not sure when I last carried cash.

To the OP, in Australia and New Zealand this is now very common. Just make sure your cards have an activated micro chip and PIN. 

DEC2EFBE-A300-4F75-B055-6D731A71378F.png.34a894fa249663d5fdd79c43ae97086c.png

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 11:13 AM, BrissieB said:

Like who empties ye olde tips jar? Owner takes it or waitstaff plus kitchen staff get it? 

23 hours ago, mr walker said:

Oh, been a bit quiet on tipping around here lately... maybe a good sign that it's back 🙂

Would you like the Princess butter thread back, Neil? Can be arranged mate😁

th.jpg.19db0e7ff95cb684e27c16b6470fd5aa.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Like who empties ye olde tips jar? Owner takes it or waitstaff plus kitchen staff get it? 

In my case business owner. 
Also would not have risked my job for tip in hand in case they thought I'd helped myself to the till.

22 hours ago, NSWP said:

At my daughter's restaurant she waits until there is a reasonable amount in the jar then splits it between all the staff equally (say when it gets to $10 each).  Sometimes, the tip jar is used when staff are leaving, for drinks or maybe a gift.

Edited by onlyslightlymad

47 minutes ago, NSWP said:

If I had accepted or touted for gratuties in my previous life👮‍♂️I would have ended up in the Big House with Roger the Dodger,😞

When we were travelling in Europe in a motorhome, we visited a distant relative in Germany who was a retired senior cop. He said when he drove in Eastern Europe he always had bank notes folded in his driver's licence, but he warned us not to even think about offering a German police officer cash. We told him it was the same in Australia.

14 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

When we were travelling in Europe in a motorhome, we visited a distant relative in Germany who was a retired senior cop. He said when he drove in Eastern Europe he always had bank notes folded in his driver's licence, but he warned us not to even think about offering a German police officer cash. We told him it was the same in Australia.

Oh dear, a 👮‍♂️Should not offer a bribe to another👮‍♂️Off to the salt mines🤬

As someone once said " Is Tipping in China?"

tend to use the card everywhere now, but I round up to the nearest $10, when paying Cash in restaurants (fine dining types) and for cabbies, this is more so I don't have to carry change. i.e $92 charge, I will give $100.

the same goes for cabbies but  to the nearest $5.  i.e $42 = $45.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 10:00 AM, MicCanberra said:

As someone once said " Is Tipping in China?"

tend to use the card everywhere now, but I round up to the nearest $10, when paying Cash in restaurants (fine dining types) and for cabbies, this is more so I don't have to carry change. i.e $92 charge, I will give $100.

the same goes for cabbies but  to the nearest $5.  i.e $42 = $45.

Same here, round it out, with a tip.