The Daily for Sunday May 16, 2021

richwmn

40 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I appreciate everyone's prayers and support yesterday. I worked in healthcare so I know to advocate for myself. I was at a level 2 trauma hospital last night, and it was quite interesting to see their ER in comparison to where I went at first. I did get Lovenox last night and some IV fluids. Labs looked ok. I got home around 2:30AM. I had set my alarm for 7:30 to call to schedule the US. And it was my first good night's sleep even if only 4-1/2 hours. I went in at 8:30 today and had the bilateral leg US. The technician said she couldn't tell me the result, but she wouldn't be letting me leave if it had been positive. So no explanation for my D-Dimer of 1150 (normal les than 500), unless whatever caused my week of fever, headache and malaise was the culprit. I'll be seeing my PCP tomorrow or Tuesday. I feel quite good today, so that's a blessing. Maybe the fluids helped even though my labs didn't look like I was dehydrated.

Vanessa

Vanessa, I’m so glad you’re feeling better, and that you finally found an ER that took things seriously! Hopefully your PCP will be able to shed some light on what’s going on.

• Like 10

I forgot to add my tuna pictures to my previous post. 

The poached tuna, I ended up with two of these containers full of tuna. I am going to freeze one.  The little bits of red are red pepper flakes. 

8DABDBEB-9919-496B-8024-4581A53CF102.thumb.jpeg.d61bfcdb26ef559348ee293a5830244b.jpeg

The pasta, it looks sort of blah but it was really good, especially with some of the poaching oil drizzled on top. 

20378C8D-7883-4F07-A6AD-55EB52AAEE15.thumb.jpeg.4e657c6f626e5daa7a098501759ffff8.jpeg

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 14

47 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I appreciate everyone's prayers and support yesterday. I worked in healthcare so I know to advocate for myself. I was at a level 2 trauma hospital last night, and it was quite interesting to see their ER in comparison to where I went at first. I did get Lovenox last night and some IV fluids. Labs looked ok. I got home around 2:30AM. I had set my alarm for 7:30 to call to schedule the US. And it was my first good night's sleep even if only 4-1/2 hours. I went in at 8:30 today and had the bilateral leg US. The technician said she couldn't tell me the result, but she wouldn't be letting me leave if it had been positive. So no explanation for my D-Dimer of 1150 (normal les than 500), unless whatever caused my week of fever, headache and malaise was the culprit. I'll be seeing my PCP tomorrow or Tuesday. I feel quite good today, so that's a blessing. Maybe the fluids helped even though my labs didn't look like I was dehydrated.

Vanessa

I’m glad it wasn’t a blood clot.  I hope they can get to the bottom of it and glad you are feeling a bit better today.

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Vanessa

Oh, glory be!   It is so good to hear from you.   Infection can elevate the D-dimer levels (I've been researching), so maybe that was the issue and you are getting over it now.  I'm just thankful all is well.   NO MORE SCARES!    

• Like 13

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Back to our regular programming.

I like the days. When I was young I wore purple for all my school exams; for some reason I thought it was my lucky color.

Good meal (and Roy's) and drinks.

I haven't been to the port of the day. I appreciate pictures from those who have been there.

@rafinmd Wishing you an uneventful recovery. It sounds like you're doing well.

I will do some laundry today. The yard need attention but I think that can wait a day or two.

Prayers for all on the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

👍  Have a pleasant and peaceful day.  

• Like 10

Primulas are planted. It no longer looks like there will be rain this afternoon, so I carried water to them.

Here's a photo (from the nursery, not my garden). They are in mixed colors and the only one of mine that is flowering is yellow.

primrosepklarge.jpg?itok=LM1I-KuU

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Since I was only in the hospital one day it isn't too hard to make up one photo, this from the 2019 Nieuw Statendam transatlantic with a return on  Cunard.  On May 14 QM2 was in Zeebrugge:

dawn0514.jpg

Roy

• Like 21

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌴🌴

Stunning ! What talent you have!

Beautiful. I love how you photographed and displayed them!

Thank you❤️
Denise😊

Thank you, Denise. And coming from someone with the artistic talent you have, that is high praise indeed!❤️

• Like 9

Just waiting around until time to leave for the barbecue this afternoon.  Would you like to see the pineapple upside down cake?  I was thinking while I was making it I might send the recipe and photos to my 21 year old granddaughter.  She seems to like household skills like cooking, etc. so I documented the steps for her.  I have a cute little cake pan I got about 50 years ago right after we got married, by mailing in $2 to Dole.  Saw the offer on the pineapple slices can label!  Lol!  My twin says she has a pan like it too.  Anyway, here are a couple photos of the steps in making the cake.

You have to prepare the pan with the pineapple slices and cherries.  First I sprayed it with vegetable spray, like Pam. You also melt 1/2 stick of butter, 1/2 cup of brown sugar (I only had dark brown sugar but prefer the light), and 2 Tablespoons of pineapple juice.  Then you pour the mixture into the pan on top of the pineapple and cherries.enhance

enhance

You should preheat the oven to 350F.  But next you need to mix up the cake mix.  I just used a yellow cake mix, though they mentioned you could use a pineapple cake mix.  Might be a little too much pineapple taste, but it is up to you.  When mixed and ready, just pour over the pineapple, cherry, brown sugar-butter mixture.  Bake at 350F for one hour.  My cake pan is a little over 9.5" so you can use a large iron skillet (10"?) to make it of course.  Let cool for a bit then place your plate on the skillet and flip over carefully.  I leave it sit there for a while cooling some more before I slowly lift the pan/skillet off.  Today I used a foil covered piece of cardboard since I am going to a large gathering and don't want to worry about retrieving a cake plate.  Though I doubt there will be any cake left lying around.  It goes fast!enhance

I'll be sure to grab two slices for DH and I early on.  I'm getting hungry for that barbecue and cake now!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

What a great group of posts today!

So glad that Roy is home and had a good night's sleep.

Glad to that Vanessa does not have a blood clot.

Am enjoying the pictures of Alesund.  I know I have been there, but can't remember what I did other than walking around that lovely town.

Really enjoyed the pictures of StLouisCruiser's Pineapple Upside Down Cake.  I LOVE that cake pan!  I've tried to make that cake so many times but my pineapple rings always run into each other and the cake looks like a mish-mosh of pineapple, cherries and brown sugar.

Thank you, Everyone, for sharing your Sunday with me!

Stay Safe!!!

• Like 13

Just now, lcand1923 said:

What a great group of posts today!

So glad that Roy is home and had a good night's sleep.

Glad to that Vanessa does not have a blood clot.

Am enjoying the pictures of Alesund.  I know I have been there, but can't remember what I did other than walking around that lovely town.

Really enjoyed the pictures of StLouisCruiser's Pineapple Upside Down Cake.  I LOVE that cake pan!  I've tried to make that cake so many times but my pineapple rings always run into each other and the cake looks like a mish-mosh of pineapple, cherries and brown sugar.

Thank you, Everyone, for sharing your Sunday with me!

Stay Safe!!!

But I bet it tastes just as good!

• Like 8

Well, today has been an interesting day.   I was getting text messages about my credit card and charges, but It wasn't coming from a bank I recognized.   So, I tried to check my credit card balance.   Couldn't get into my account online.   So, I called them.  Someone has been trying to have a fun shopping spree all over the country buying who knows what - furniture, music, clothing, etc.  I've never heard of most of these stores.  

Now, the good news is that the credit card company recognized these as fraud right away and did not authorize the transactions.  And, we got on it pretty quickly.   So, the account is shut down and they are issuing me a new card.  

@Cruzin Terri I am feeling a little bit of your pain.   Not to the extent you are, but still you feel so violated.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

We've had lots of nice photos of Alesund and I'm only going to add a couple.  I was there August 10, 2011 on the Prinsendam and we were there with the Ryndam:

2damaskla.jpg

Alesund has the prototype for the modern lifeboat.  This was at the Maritime Museum:

lifeboat.jpg

Roy

• Like 20

We visited Alesund, Norway on our Rotterdam VOV voyage, in August, 2016. The cruise pier is right in town. We took the Trollstigen Road tour and had perfect weather to view the beautiful scenery.  Back in town, we enjoyed the views of this picturesque port.

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

Well, today has been an interesting day.   I was getting text messages about my credit card and charges, but It wasn't coming from a bank I recognized.   So, I tried to check my credit card balance.   Couldn't get into my account online.   So, I called them.  Someone has been trying to have a fun shopping spree all over the country buying who knows what - furniture, music, clothing, etc.  I've never heard of most of these stores.  

Now, the good news is that the credit card company recognized these as fraud right away and did not authorize the transactions.  And, we got on it pretty quickly.   So, the account is shut down and they are issuing me a new card.  

@Cruzin Terri I am feeling a little bit of your pain.   Not to the extent you are, but still you feel so violated.

I have had issues with my credit card numbers being abused.  Regrettably the latest incident was from one of two local restaurants, I’m so disappointed as we had been going to them for years.  They charged a storage unit and I got that charge stopped and a new card was issued.  About two weeks later a new charge from the same storage unit.  The issuing bank has reversed the charge and issued another card.  What I learned is that companies subscribe to a service that gives them the new credit card number and that is how they got the new details.  It is worth the effort to have credit card alerts sent to your email and or phone as a text.

• Like 13

Good afternoon.  We had a good visit with older DD and DSIL  We hadn’t seen them since Christmas 2019, and it felt so good to finally be able to see them and to hug them.

Our predicted rain resulted in about 2.5 inches since this morning.  Right now, the sun is trying to come out.  We’ll enjoy it while we can, since we’re supposed to rain all week.

@JazzyV Vanessa, I was so glad to read your post that the ultrasound was good enough for you to go home, and that you slept well last night, or at least the part you were home.  Also, glad you are feeling better, but as we keep telling @rafinmd Roy, take it easy and let your body recover.  Hope your PCP can get to the bottom od what is going on.  We were all worried about you.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Another lovely scarf and what a great idea to use the blotting paper for note cards.

@dfish Debbie, I can understand how you feel.  Twice we’ve had someone use our card number, but the companies were on top of it, and denied the charges.  They also issued us new cards with a new number.

Sounds like you company has the problem under control.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 16

Settling down here after a busy day.  The Korean Beef Bulgogi recipe looks like one to try for sure.  I'm not a pear fan generally, but what an intriguing ingredient for a marinade.  Big Harry Potter fan, though, so that Butterbeer Old-Fashioned will for sure be in the mix sometime soon.

Happy news, Roy @rafinmdthat you are building back strength so quickly.   It's amazing how surgeries are less invasive than they used to be and so much more tolerable.  Great to see you bouncing back!

We did something unusual and fun last night.  Geffen Playhouse has been operating as "Geffen Stayhouse."  We participated in a zoom theater presentation about a haunted house with 40 other groups around the country.  People all had spooky candles, etc., set up for viewing the show.  We had spooky cocktails, too.  lol   It was a lot of fun and such a creative event, since theaters have all been dark.    👻  🍸  🏚️

Take care, All.  Wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable evening.

• Like 15

Last year I got a new iris, called "Batik".  Just one stem then, this year there are 5 flower stems, plus a couple more without flowers, it might be just too happy! I'm going to have to keep an eye on it...

IMG_5715.thumb.JPG.7b3d312b4200c756b5b04638c04e9630.JPG

And my "potted" vegetable garden enjoying the sun.

IMG_5717.thumb.JPG.3a79167d3f59accf76ff2009adb9dc00.JPG

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I have had issues with my credit card numbers being abused.  Regrettably the latest incident was from one of two local restaurants, I’m so disappointed as we had been going to them for years.  They charged a storage unit and I got that charge stopped and a new card was issued.  About two weeks later a new charge from the same storage unit.  The issuing bank has reversed the charge and issued another card.  What I learned is that companies subscribe to a service that gives them the new credit card number and that is how they got the new details.  It is worth the effort to have credit card alerts sent to your email and or phone as a text.

Once, years ago, I had a hotel in Columbus steal my number.  They shut down soon afterwards. That one was weird because the bank just shut down the account and I didn't know until I tried to use the card.   I had to call them on it.  They said too many people assume it is a scam call when they call them. 

I can see that as the bank tried to call me today, but I figured they were cousins to the auto warranty people.   This did come through on a text, but I didn't recognize it.  The card is through my credit union, but it said US Bank.  US Bank is who issued the fraudulent unemployment debit card last year.   I had that and got a tax statement from Ohio unemployment.  That was pretty easy to take care of.  I guess people were just too bored with the pandemic and have been engaging in all kinds of mischief.  

• Like 5