Tipping

We always pre-pay our gratuities to cover those "behind the scenes" workers, and then add cash tips to those who we feel go "above and beyond" service to us. If you choose not to pre-pay, they will add it daily. Some feel the need to have the gratuities removed once on board and later pay those who specifically serve them but we feel that this takes away from those that aren't seen but do provide a great service. That's just how we feel, so please don't flame me. You can choose to do whatever you feel is right for you. Happy cruising! Cheers!

• Like 19

I'll add my 2 cents in and say I plan on tipping extra on my November Oasis cruise.  These people haven't worked in over a year and may or may not be getting any government assistance - depending on the country they are from.

I'll be happy to add a little extra to what is automatically charged to my bill.

• Like 18

18 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This feels so.......so.........normal!! 
What a breath of fresh air!!

Yup, this is as close to back to normal as we have been in a long time.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

so excited to see this post!!!! I tip the recommended amount and not a penny more  (tipping threads are about bragging...or trying to take it away, so I say it as it is.....I tip the normal amount and not a penny more)

Me too , Although i did tip a young lady 10 bucks once that served us so well one night when we were transferred to the solarium for dinner as the dining room was too full . My wife was so pleased with her . That was an exception. Never happened again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mek said:

I'll add my 2 cents in and say I plan on tipping extra on my November Oasis cruise.  These people haven't worked in over a year and may or may not be getting any government assistance - depending on the country they are from.

I'll be happy to add a little extra to what is automatically charged to my bill.

I'm with you... Maybe those of us who intend to tip extra on our next couple cruises should take our latest stimmy money and set it aside in cash for when we are all aboard.  

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, mek said:

I hope you are also that generous to your family, friends, neighbors, and locals who are might be in the same boat. Charity begins at home.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I hope you are also that generous to your family, friends, neighbors, and locals who are might be in the same boat. Charity begins at home.

Hardly the same boat😉

We're all on some sort of boat. I would not want to be on a boat from India, the Philippines,  etc..

• Like 8

I don't view tipping as charity.  Tipping to me is paying for exceptional and above expected service.  Royal Caribbean's staff generally exceed my expectations and I like to reward that.  When I cruised MSC my "extra tips" was noticeably lower than any Royal cruise. I wish cruise lines paid their staff more but since they don't I am willing to make up the difference when they do things that enhance my cruise experience.   People can do what they want with their money.  As our old friend Thor used to say... " my vacation, my money". This is what I do and hope others might do the same.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, GMomKassie said:

Thank you!  We have always tipped more than recommended, but we liked adding tips to envelopes and writing a note or telling them in person, how much they were appreciated

I like the envelopes for giving extra. I always personalize them as well.

• Like 3

We always prepay our tips and then give extra to those who go above and beyond.  I always write a personal note on each envelope thanking them for making our cruise so special.

I also make a note of the name of each person so I can name them personally when we do the survey.

I feel as hard as they work this is the least I can do…..

• Like 9

3 hours ago, mek said:

Well said we have been tipping extra at local restaurants since they reopened, all the waiters and musicians had huge loss of income and we luckily had none , even worse for ship employees who were out of a job for over a year,  we have 3 cruises in next 9 months including one in July. We will bring a couple of hundred in small bills and add some larger bills for next cruise.

Edited by George C
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, SilkySal said:

We always pre-pay our gratuities to cover those "behind the scenes" workers, and then add cash tips to those who we feel go "above and beyond" service to us. If you choose not to pre-pay, they will add it daily. Some feel the need to have the gratuities removed once on board and later pay those who specifically serve them but we feel that this takes away from those that aren't seen but do provide a great service. That's just how we feel, so please don't flame me. You can choose to do whatever you feel is right for you. Happy cruising! Cheers!

+1.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

Thankfully nobody in my family was negatively impacted by Covid, my neighbors are also OK.  I did as always give generously to charities last year and have tipped my servers more than my customary 20% when eating out.

Is that satisfactory?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

We always prepay our tips and then give extra to those who go above and beyond.  I always write a personal note on each envelope thanking them for making our cruise so special.

I also make a note of the name of each person so I can name them personally when we do the survey.

I feel as hard as they work this is the least I can do…..

I usually take a picture of their name tag as spelling can be a challenge.

And the name plaque on our MDR table

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

We have always pre paid tips because it used to be(but not now) a requirement in the UK if you wanted My Time Dining so we have just continued doing so.

We tip extra in Speciality restaurants and in the DL or bars when we get free drinks plus something extra for our cabin steward.

Our restaurant waiter and his assistant on our last RC cruise were excellent so I actually emailed MBayley while on board with their names and got an email reply the next day thanking me and saying the waiters will be rewarded which they certainly deserved.

Graham.

• Like 8