Tipping

37 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have always pre paid tips because it used to be(but not now) a requirement in the UK if you wanted My Time Dining so we have just continued doing so.

We tip extra in Speciality restaurants and in the DL or bars when we get free drinks plus something extra for our cabin steward.

Our restaurant waiter and his assistant on our last RC cruise were excellent so I actually emailed MBayley while on board with their names and got an email reply the next day thanking me and saying the waiters will be rewarded which they certainly deserved.

Graham.

I am a Special Needs person and I usually receive personalized service in the MDR.I always tip generously .When I was on the Anthem in December 2019 the service was the best ever.I wrote a letter to RCI complimenting the people who helped me .

• Like 6

7 hours ago, SilkySal said:

We always pre-pay our gratuities to cover those "behind the scenes" workers, and then add cash tips to those who we feel go "above and beyond" service to us. If you choose not to pre-pay, they will add it daily. Some feel the need to have the gratuities removed once on board and later pay those who specifically serve them but we feel that this takes away from those that aren't seen but do provide a great service. That's just how we feel, so please don't flame me. You can choose to do whatever you feel is right for you. Happy cruising! Cheers!

We do the same thing. Once was tempted to remove tips from room attendant Had them change room attendant instead. 

• Like 1

Always leave extra.  They all works so hard without a complaint.  I also tell them no towel animals.  With us being on so many cruises we don’t need them.  We tell them that they could go to bed 5 minutes earlier 🤗

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mek said:

I'll add my 2 cents in and say I plan on tipping extra on my November Oasis cruise.  These people haven't worked in over a year and may or may not be getting any government assistance - depending on the country they are from.

I'll be happy to add a little extra to what is automatically charged to my bill.

Make sure you remember to tip the bathroom attendant, all the cooks, the pool attendants, non-officer cruise staff, etc, etc, etc.

The virus didn't just affect waiters, cabin attendants, and bartenders.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

I grew up in a family of eleven and we didn't have lots of money and tangible things, but we knew about love, kindness, being thankful and appreciative, sharing and more...

I bring a small pack of note or thank you cards ($! @ Dollar Tree) and write personal notes in my calligraphy-styled writing and add extra cash.  The look on some of the crew's faces when I give them this pretty card personally addressed with a little extra has been priceless!  They love and comment on the card, the writing, the message and say how we made their week.  It's the small things in life we may take for granted that showers others with sincere appreciation.

I am very neat and often give the cabin attendant the morning off, especially on port days so they may be able to get off the ship and shop for personal items, use the terminal Wi-Fi to connect with family, etc.

• Like 6

Great to see that a 15 month cruise shutdown has not affected the ability to have a good old fashion tipping thread with all of the traditional, and typical, posts. Hopefully, cruising comes back as equally unchanged.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Great to see that a 15 month cruise shutdown has not affected the ability to have a good old fashion tipping thread with all of the traditional, and typical, posts. Hopefully, cruising comes back as equally unchanged.

I expect a chair hog thread on June 12th (1st Adventure sailing).    

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cruise lines seem to be going more and more into including gratuities as a "perk" in the price.  Celebrity is doing this a lot with the all in pricing.  We are like others and typically pre-pay just to have them paid up before we cruise.  Even then, we often leave extra if the service was good.  We feel like the base is more of a service fee and the extra is actually what we're paying as a reward for good service.

In fact, I heard today that some other cruise lines are changing the name of "gratuities" to "crew incentive".  I'm not sure why they don't just call it a service fee, require it, and be done with it.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, tserface said:

Cruise lines seem to be going more and more into including gratuities as a "perk" in the price.  Celebrity is doing this a lot with the all in pricing.  We are like others and typically pre-pay just to have them paid up before we cruise.  Even then, we often leave extra if the service was good.  We feel like the base is more of a service fee and the extra is actually what we're paying as a reward for good service.

In fact, I heard today that some other cruise lines are changing the name of "gratuities" to "crew incentive".  I'm not sure why they don't just call it a service fee, require it, and be done with it.

I'm sure RCI corporate appreciates your perspective.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm sure RCI corporate appreciates your perspective.

No doubt about that.  I used to get all up in bunch about the definition of 'gratuity' and how if they almost make you pay it or expect it then it's not a gratuity and ... then I grew up and just figured it was part of the cost of cruising and we've seldom had a crew that didn't deserve the original cost and more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tserface said:

No doubt about that.  I used to get all up in bunch about the definition of 'gratuity' and how if they almost make you pay it or expect it then it's not a gratuity and ... then I grew up and just figured it was part of the cost of cruising and we've seldom had a crew that didn't deserve the original cost and more.

I agree with you...except for one cruise on Mariner.

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Make sure you remember to tip the bathroom attendant, all the cooks, the pool attendants, non-officer cruise staff, etc, etc, etc.

Hum - good point and just exactly how would I do that?  Guess I could double the automatic daily tip - would that satisfy you?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Our restaurant waiter and his assistant on our last RC cruise were excellent so I actually emailed MBayley while on board with their names and got an email reply the next day thanking me and saying the waiters will be rewarded which they certainly deserved.

I think that that is a great idea... I understand customer reviews are an important part of moving up in their positions

• Thanks 1

That is why I leave the auto gratuities in place.  I want to make sure that the other folks no in the public eye are compensated.

• Like 4

I expect a chair hog thread on June 12th (1st Adventure sailing).    

Lounge threads are my favorite.

Might even see a reincarnated M8 show up once those start back up😉🍺

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am a Special Needs person and I usually receive personalized service in the MDR.I always tip generously .When I was on the Anthem in December 2019 the service was the best ever.I wrote a letter to RCI complimenting the people who helped me .

You can also find out who their supervisor is and send them a note while on board...

11 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

That is why I leave the auto gratuities in place.  I want to make sure that the other folks no in the public eye are compensated.

Just wish the would include Security in the tipping pool but most lines don't

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GMomKassie said:

Thank you!  We have always tipped more than recommended, but we liked adding tips to envelopes and writing a note or telling them in person, how much they were appreciated

You can still do that!!! 😀  

22 hours ago, Ashland said:

I like the envelopes for giving extra. I always personalize them as well.

We do as well- to those who we believe have gone the extra mile for us.  It is our way of thanking them for extra service.  I also write a note.

Nice to see the same staff if we travel on the ship again.

18 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am still waiting for the “we like to give candy, stamps, phone cards,  and hand made crafts instead of cash” crowd to chime in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I leave them in place also, but prefer old days when it was totally up to you for tipping, cruise line needs to have auto tips as part of the fare . Now I tip same as I did in past plus the auto.