Tipping

I plan to double tip for the next 17 months. That's about how long the crew and staff have been out of work. I doubt if many were able to find work at home so they ended up depleting their savings and retirement funds. I plan to do that with shuttle drivers, too.

My usual tips were $300 for a week cruise. For the foreseeable future I expect to spend $600 a cruise.

I don't care what anyone thinks, but, I encourage everyone to consider something similar.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The person who I am referring to does not have a Supervisor.He is the highest ranking in his category on the ship.

Hey I think that is Great!! Was trying to help anyone else who might see your post and give them some advice as i have done so in the past and the person was actually promoted because of the info i provided to his supervisor and the Head of Housekeeping!!

16 hours ago, centurycruiser said:

My usual tips were $300 for a week cruise. For the foreseeable future I expect to spend $600 a cruise.

I don't care what anyone thinks, but, I encourage everyone to consider something similar.

That is funny! So anyone should care what you think?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, centurycruiser said:

I plan to double tip for the next 17 months. That's about how long the crew and staff have been out of work. I doubt if many were able to find work at home so they ended up depleting their savings and retirement funds. I plan to do that with shuttle drivers, too.

Tacky self promotion 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2021 at 4:09 AM, centurycruiser said:

pure bragging

• Like 2

16 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Tacky self promotion 

Self promotion?  How so?  We have no idea who this person is and all they were saying is what they plan to do.  Why do some of you have a problem with that?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It is bragging, grandiose, "look at me" behavior, pure and simple.

Tacky

Is it any different than any of the other behaviors here ion CC.  Look at my suite.  Hey, I'm a Pinnacle.  I just booked 256 cruises.  Yadda, yadda, yadda.  "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Is it any different than any of the other behaviors here ion CC.  Look at my suite.  Hey, I'm a Pinnacle.  I just booked 256 cruises.  Yadda, yadda, yadda.  "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

I am not a lady, and you are correct, all those other behaviors need to be called out as well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I am not a lady, and you are correct, all those other behaviors need to be called out as well.

Where does it stop?  Who determines what behaviors need to be called out?  You?  

• Like 1

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when someone if offended by a person wanting to be generous to the crew.

I had two people question my original post when all I said was I planed on upping extra - I never mentioned any amount, but somehow it was enough to cause concern from a couple of posters.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I just call out things for myself I guess. I just feel posting in a public forum the amount of cash you leave in tips is in poor taste. 
Must be just my hang up. 

Not a hang up at all.  Tipping is a personal matter, and we agree that posting the amount of cash left for tips is indeed in poor taste.

• Like 3

On 5/17/2021 at 5:38 PM, tserface said:

No doubt about that.  I used to get all up in bunch about the definition of 'gratuity' and how if they almost make you pay it or expect it then it's not a gratuity and ... then I grew up and just figured it was part of the cost of cruising and we've seldom had a crew that didn't deserve the original cost and more.

This is such a real comment.  I agree that a forced gratuity is not a gratuity at all, and defeats the purpose.  BUT, with very few exceptions, the service we get on cruises is generally incredible, and we know how incredibly hard

the entire staff work day in and day out.  The added charge plus any personal extra tips we give seem hardly enough

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazyank said:

Not a hang up at all.  Tipping is a personal matter, and we agree that posting the amount of cash left for tips is indeed in poor taste.

Oh for heavens sake - this is an anonymous message board - one where ideas and comments should be freely shared.  Discussing tips and the amount is common on CC - it's not like anyone hangs a sign on their cabin door saying, "I gave my cruise staff and extra $50 for the week."

• Like 2

It's really gauche to boast about how much one is tipping and then, ahem, encourage others to do the same. Rather crass, in my opinion. Just do it on the sly and the crew will still get the bigger tip without all of the "look at me" aspect of it. I heard a saying once that "there's no better feeling than to do a good deed in secret and have it found out by accident." 😄

• Like 1

If the Room Attendant leaves an envelope on the last day of the cruise, even if you pre pay the gratuities, would that would be for a reason that they may feel to be underpaid? Looking at it from their perspective. Or something different.

4 hours ago, florida eagle said:

If the Room Attendant leaves an envelope on the last day of the cruise, even if you pre pay the gratuities, would that would be for a reason that they may feel to be underpaid? Looking at it from their perspective. Or something different.

It is standard procedure now for the cabin attendant to leave that envelope on your bed.  Use it, don't use it.  Your choice.

On 5/21/2021 at 3:08 AM, 3kidsncats said:

This is such a real comment.  I agree that a forced gratuity is not a gratuity at all, and defeats the purpose.  BUT, with very few exceptions, the service we get on cruises is generally incredible, and we know how incredibly hard

the entire staff work day in and day out.  The added charge plus any personal extra tips we give seem hardly enough

They just need to call it what it is. A Service Charge or a Resort Fee

• Like 1