The Daily for Tuesday May 18, 2021

richwmn

55 minutes ago, daisybertie said:

Good morning everyone. It’s Wednesday morning here, and a beautiful sunny day, but cold. By our standards anyway! It’s 11 degrees C outside. 
Our area is sometimes classed as ‘drought affected’, and certainly when we first moved here we were in the middle of an eight year drought. So we became used to saving as much water as we could. Having a bucket in the shower, using the washing machine water on the garden, and only washing up in the kitchen once a day. Now, I still save as many dishes as I can in the kitchen sink, out of sight, and only wash up in the evening, this drives DH mad, as he is a much better house keeper than me and likes everything tidy! Stay well everyone

Wow! How do you save the washing machine water?  Stop it and use buckets - yikes!

not sure if it helps but from what I have read and understand a dishwasher (modern) uses less water than washing by hand.  I’m on a well so a I am very conscious of water usage. 😉 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

Wow! How do you save the washing machine water?  Stop it and use buckets - yikes!

not sure if it helps but from what I have read and understand a dishwasher (modern) uses less water than washing by hand.  I’m on a well so a I am very conscious of water usage. 😉 

I think they can be set up to pump the water into a tank so it can be used later. We saw a set up in Northern California that allowed the water to be slowly dispersed through a gravity drip system. There were lots of requirements on how it was set up ( due to the grey water).

Ive got it in the back of my head to set up a pump and hose system to drop the water from my soaking tub into a tank for garden use. The water will have only had my clean body in it. ( I shower before soaking.)

• Like 8

So back to the Garden Tip of the Day from a few days ago (deadheading iris)

I found a couple and dead headed them today. How long do I wait to pull the bulbs?
I’m planning on finally moving them to a different location next year. They have been in the ground some 20 years. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I think they can be set up to pump the water into a tank so it can be used later. We saw a set up in Northern California that allowed the water to be slowly dispersed through a gravity drip system. There were lots of requirements on how it was set up ( due to the grey water).

Ive got it in the back of my head to set up a pump and hose system to drop the water from my soaking tub into a tank for garden use. The water will have only had my clean body in it. ( I shower before soaking.)

Wow!!  Impressive!

• Like 2

Just now, TiogaCruiser said:

So back to the Garden Tip of the Day from a few days ago (deadheading iris)

I found a couple and dead headed them today. How long do I wait to pull the bulbs?
I’m planning on finally moving them to a different location next year. They have been in the ground some 20 years. 

I’m sure you don’t mean pull but dig up 😉

I’m no gardener expert but I would be tempted to wait for the fall so all the energy gets into he bulb.  Of course, moving now it can still happen.  I’ve never moved bulbs.  We need someone who has done it to know which is best.

Interesting challenge.  I’ve never moved a bulb other than lilies and did it in the fall.  Sorry, wish I could help more.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, kazu said:

If you had a washing machine from the 60’s or 70’s with a suds saver feature it would be pretty easy. 

• Like 5

I dug up my irises last year and they seem to have survived - I almost didn't!  I was trying to get them out of the ground with a shovel and they resisted strenuously - so I fell over, into a dwarf maple and did a great deal of inadvertent pruning of that.  A neighbour came over to help me up and suggested it would be easier to use a gardening fork.  That made it so easy!  I just threw all the really old parts away and replanted newer pieces in another area.   I pruned the foliage down to about a 6-inch inverted "V" as I replanted.  I did it after they had finished blooming - June, I think.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am by no means a gardening expert or even all that knowledgeable, but my iris have survive about 21 years in spite of me.  After each blossom quits booming, I dead head them, and after all the blooms die I cut tue stalks off.  In the fall, I cut the leaves back to about 3 or 4 inches. If I am going to thin or move them, I do it in the fall, and that seems to work.  Being this far south, I leave them in the ground all year.  They even seen to have survived our big freeze this winter.  BTW, my iris are bearded iris.

As I said, this has worked for me the brown thumb queen, so heeded my advice at your own risk. 😜

Lenda

• Like 11

Good afternoon and Happy Tuesday!  I started reading the Daily this morning and got sidetracked.  I was on a quest to try a new cinnamon roll recipe from King Arthur Flour.  I spent the afternoon making them (after several hours of research, I'm not the best baker) and even picked up DGD from school today.  Between rises I kept checking back and reading as much as I could but it's on page 5 now!  Oh my.

Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for the lists Jacqui.  I love museums, my favorite is the Smithsonian, I could spend days just in one.  I feel like I always have dirty dishes.  I have too many relatives to visit and have to admit I don't even know them all, my mother was one of 13 children.  Erma Bombeck would not have had enough windows for that many children.

The meal sounds nice but I'm making chicken tenders tonight with some kind of sauce, I haven't totally decided because of the cinnamon rolls.

I've been to Montreal twice and stayed at the Fairmount Queen Elizabeth Hotel both times.  The first time was one day pre-cruise and it was too late to look at anything and the second time was post cruise after our disembarkation in Quebec City.  That time we trained to Montreal from Quebec City and arrived too late to visit anything and with our flight really early the next morning we didn't do anything but eat.  I do remember taking a picture of John & Yoko's hotel door, it has a plaque on it to commemorate their "bed in".  I have no idea where my pictures are though, they are very old.

Have a great evening everyone!

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I am by no means a gardening expert or even all that knowledgeable, but my iris have survive about 21 years in spite of me.  After each blossom quits booming, I dead head them, and after all the blooms die I cut tue stalks off.  In the fall, I cut the leaves back to about 3 or 4 inches. If I am going to thin or move them, I do it in the fall, and that seems to work.  Being this far south, I leave them in the ground all year.  They even seen to have survived our big freeze this winter.  BTW, my iris are bearded iris.

As I said, this has worked for me the brown thumb queen, so heeded my advice at your own risk. 😜

Lenda

Mine are the Dutch Blue Irises.

• Like 3

Celebrating 47 years of wedded bliss today! Low key today as we began the celebrating in early April spending a day with our CA grands as their parents had their vaccines, then off to WA for a week with the WA grands on Whidbey Island, then on to Kona for 2 1/2 weeks with the HI grands. Next week,  a visit with my Mother in AZ. The adventures with DH continue. So thankful! 

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon and Happy Tuesday!  I started reading the Daily this morning and got sidetracked.  I was on a quest to try a new cinnamon roll recipe from King Arthur Flour. 

Are you making their 2021 recipe of the year, the Perfectly Pillowy Cinnamon Rolls? I've been wanting to make them, but trying hard to watch my diet at the present.

@Norseh2o Happy Anniversary!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Didn't know we had a neighbor here.  We are in Silverdale.

Considering the artwork on the BHBs:  When I think of the loss of the Amsterdam to another cruise line, I always wonder what happened to the artwork on board her.  

Ray and Sara

Not only Amsterdam, but all of the R-class and S-Class ships and, presumably, the Elegant Explorer (sadly, I never sailed on that one).  They all had magnificent artwork...and artifacts.  I still mourn the departure of Ryndam, the nautical-themed ship.  She was all full of old figureheads, ship models, sextants, compasses, rigging, etc.  I wonder what happened to all of that?

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

Celebrating 47 years of wedded bliss today! Low key today as we began the celebrating in early April spending a day with our CA grands as their parents had their vaccines, then off to WA for a week with the WA grands on Whidbey Island, then on to Kona for 2 1/2 weeks with the HI grands. Next week,  a visit with my Mother in AZ. The adventures with DH continue. So thankful! 

Happy Anniversary!!  And so wonderful you are able to see all your children and grandchildren!  Enjoy AZ before it gets too hot.  We had our first 100 degree day last Wednesday, it's only days before there will be more.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Are you making their 2021 recipe of the year, the Perfectly Pillowy Cinnamon Rolls? I've been wanting to make them, but trying hard to watch my diet at the present.

@Norseh2o Happy Anniversary!

Yes!  It's so different with the cooking of the water & flour mixture.  Plus I didn't have instant yeast so it took a lot longer to proof.  I ate two, yikes, as a taste test... I undercooked them a bit (DH always says I overcook them).  They are good but I'll tweak it a bit next time and use the right yeast.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, kazu said:

I would be tempted to wait for the fall so all the energy gets into he bulb.

Yes. With bearded iris, it's best to let the foliage continue to feed the rhizomes, and for the rhizomes to get some baking in the sun. Unfortunately, it is quite a while before the foliage browns or withers, and it's not very attractive. From a point of view of garden design, it's good to plant something else -- in my climate, daylilies work well -- in front of the irises as a screen or distraction.

When you dig and replant the rhizomes, keep the rhizomes right at (but not above, although they may do that on their own as they grow) the surface.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Happy Anniversary!!  And so wonderful you are able to see all your children and grandchildren!  Enjoy AZ before it gets too hot.  We had our first 100 degree day last Wednesday, it's only days before there will be more.

Love AZ in the summer! Spent growing up years in a swamp cooler home and walking in flip flops to the public 🏊🏻‍♀️ pools! 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY 🥂

• Like 6

Thanks for all the advice about splitting iris -- a new chore for the fall!

Good news! DH moved to rehab this afternoon! One step closer to coming home! Thank you all  for your prayers and good wishes.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, NextOne said:

Good news! DH moved to rehab this afternoon! One step closer to coming home! Thank you all  for your prayers and good wishes.

Such great news!!  Make sure to tell him that we’ve all been praying for him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Such good news, thanks for the update .

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Norseh2o said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

image.thumb.jpeg.42634a98b457fb231d3a8cfcfbe525d3.jpeg

Congratulations!!!

Enjoy your wonderful evening!

🌴🌴Denise😊

• Like 8