CDC to approve 7 days or longer cruises

I realize this is just an article, but the line that caught my eye was "Updated verbiage is expected to strongly encourage cruise lines to sail with 100 percent vaccinated passengers and crew until the CSO is fully lifted."

I wonder if the CDC will finally have split guidance for vaccinated vs non-vaccinated cruises. Masks everywhere on cruises that don't require vaccines, but no masks at all on 100% vaccinated cruises, perhaps?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I realize this is just an article, but the line that caught my eye was "Updated verbiage is expected to strongly encourage cruise lines to sail with 100 percent vaccinated passengers and crew until the CSO is fully lifted."

I wonder if the CDC will finally have split guidance for vaccinated vs non-vaccinated cruises. Masks everywhere on cruises that don't require vaccines, but no masks at all on 100% vaccinated cruises, perhaps?

That's essentially what is expected. It's already tee'd up that way to some degree with the outdoor masks and excursion guidance. Celebrity has already told TA's this week no masks for vaccinated people indoors, vaccination requirement age drops to 16 and likely drop to 12. 

The 7 day rule is not in the Operations Manual so it was somewhat of a given it may go away. 

Carnival appears to be the one with a big objection to this so it will be interesting to see their reaction. Today Princess opens up Alaska cruises for July and they are requiring full vaccination. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212

35 minutes ago, jrapps said:

It seems simple to me. The CDC should immediately allow cruises to resume for ships with crew members and passengers who are 100% vaccinated. If vaccinated people no longer need to wear a mask per the CDC, there is no reason not to allow 100% vaccinated ships to resume operations. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It seems simple to me. The CDC should immediately allow cruises to resume for ships with crew members and passengers who are 100% vaccinated. If vaccinated people no longer need to wear a mask per the CDC, there is no reason not to allow 100% vaccinated ships to resume operations. 

What seems perfectly logical to everyone isn't necessarily the plan of the CDC as they, unfortunately, have a different set of rules for cruise ships and have the power to (up until now) to enforce them.  The mediation for FL vs CDC is happening on May 27th -- maybe we'll get a better idea of what fate awaits the cruise lines then or shortly thereafter.   

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree with the general direction of this, but it also puts the CDC on even more of a collision course with the state of FL. And let's be honest...100% vaccinated cruises will have a very narrow appeal since kids under 12 can't get vaccinated yet. I'm not saying there won't be loads of people dying to go, but there is a reason Virgin was to be the first adult-only cruise line.

I am all for the CDC relaxing the guidelines for 100% vaccinated cruises. And I see why they won't relax them (or won't relax them as much) for mixed-vaccination.

What I am hoping to see (but again, doubt I will) is  something between the extremes. A plan where you require vaccinations for 12+, no vaccines for under 12, minimal masks and social distancing required in certain places (like kids clubs and theaters).

Hopefully the new guidance will come out soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If you're under 12, you shouldn't need a mask since kids are less likely to get covid and less likely to spread it even if they do get it. 

Otherwise you're going to have kids in a mask nearly the entire day which is ridiculous.

We'll see. I don't see the CDC sharing your perspective in their updated CSO. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jrapps said:

What I am hoping to see (but again, doubt I will) is  something between the extremes. A plan where you require vaccinations for 12+, no vaccines for under 12, minimal masks and social distancing required in certain places (like kids clubs and theaters).

Hopefully the new guidance will come out soon.

Just received this from RCL this morning:

Capture.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Carnival appears to be the one with a big objection to this so it will be interesting to see their reaction. Today Princess opens up Alaska cruises for July and they are requiring full vaccination. 

I'm guessing you mean about vaccinations, not the subject of this thread. 

Carnival already had sent out letters 8 day was back on and had a thread up saying 8 day back on before this thread. 

I snap shot the beginning of the carnival letter earlier, before this thread appeared. To see the whole letter its posted over on carnival.

20210521_035434354.jpeg

44 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Just received this from RCL this morning:

Capture.JPG

I've looked online to find any more mention of this...can't find anything. This is what my family was hoping would happen! 

Edited by erinsmom03
  • Like 1

My Freedom 9 night Canada/NE is still on hold...I had doubts Canada would open and so glad I opted to move my deposit when given the chance...Best of luck to you all that are able to cruise on this more than likely changed itinerary for Oct 14, 2021 out of Cape Liberty.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

If you're under 12, you shouldn't need a mask since kids are less likely to get covid and less likely to spread it even if they do get it. 

Otherwise you're going to have kids in a mask nearly the entire day which is ridiculous.

I'm curious what your background in infectious disease and epidemiology is. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jrapps said:

And let's be honest...100% vaccinated cruises will have a very narrow appeal since kids under 12 can't get vaccinated yet.

"very narrow appeal"?  I don't know where you cruise, but on my 70& cruises, the vast majority of passengers did not bring children under 12.

• Like 1