Is Holland America Getting Ready to Raise Cost of Gratuities?

LAFFNVEGAS

11 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I hope it means I can stay home and sleep for two weeks post cruise and people aren’t allowed to come to the door and wake me up.😉

So few people have their second shots yet that it isn’t really clear.

Seemed to me that is the case because of the lack of full vaccinations yet to happen .Best of luck 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

One of the main things that made us ‘DAM loyal cruisers was the amazing HAL crews. They are miles ahead of crew on the other lines we cruised on, and on the longer cruises become like family. Between the long and difficult months the crews spent just getting home in 2020, and  the conditions in Indonesia and the Philippines during the pandemic, these people have been through hell.
Soon those who have survived both the pandemic and the staffing cuts from the loss of four ships will return to our BHB’s. When I’m finally back aboard, I’m hardly going to begrudge a dollar a day divided between all the different people who spend their day making my day so wonderful.

I so agree.  These people work around the clock and are always so gracious.  I will never begrudge a HAL employee their wage, either stateside or on ship.  

Having dealt with the retail customer all of my life including as a child in my parent's business I can tell you some of you guys leave your brain at home.  I have never once met a callous HAL employee, perhaps that is my good fortune🙅‍♂️

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

One of the main things that made us ‘DAM loyal cruisers was the amazing HAL crews. They are miles ahead of crew on the other lines we cruised on, and on the longer cruises become like family. Between the long and difficult months the crews spent just getting home in 2020, and  the conditions in Indonesia and the Philippines during the pandemic, these people have been through hell.
Soon those who have survived both the pandemic and the staffing cuts from the loss of four ships will return to our BHB’s. When I’m finally back aboard, I’m hardly going to begrudge a dollar a day divided between all the different people who spend their day making my day so wonderful.

Thank you for posting this ..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

So agree with you. The crew are what makes a cruise with HAL so very special and if we can help them get over the problems of 18 months unemployment by paying an extra dollar a day gratuities, I am more than happy to do so.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity took an interesting approach. They raised their prices and then announced that they were offering thier cruises with "free" basic beverage package and "free" service charges.

Some people love this approach while others complain that they want an opotion of a "basic" cruise without that kind of package.

You will never please everyone, whatever approach you take.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimgev said:

Celebrity took an interesting approach. They raised their prices and then announced that they were offering thier cruises with "free" basic beverage package and "free" service charges.

Some people love this approach while others complain that they want an opotion of a "basic" cruise without that kind of package.

You will never please everyone, whatever approach you take.

We sailed Celebrity far mire than HAL in our earlier days ,Elite + with Celebrity & 3 star with HAL . Having experience with both lines  i can honestly tell people that both lines employees do a great job  .We never have any complaints .c That being said there are limits to renumeration for certain category of work ;because it were not the case the cabin attendant could  make as much as a chef   .That being said what is the real pay scale for any job aboard ship . There is a fine line between  good service  &  loosing customer base   .Regardless of above & beyond what we are hearing on this thread ,there reaches a time when  less & less people can afford cruising  because the business priced itself out of this market .This is very similar to the car buying business ,i love   very luxurious cars but ,in reality I can afford  a  Ford or Chevy 

Already ,  The Fed government is being warned about their printing of money causing serious inflation concerns  here in the US . The warning is saying you continue &  you will have hyper inflation  .so where does this end with out spending controls ?

6 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

talk about being 'Elitist'.  🙄

Here in the states we have job categories & pay grades  .Perhaps your system of pay is different ?

Our system has worked very well for  over 200 years  & made  America the place to live & work in the free world 

Edited by mcrcruiser

12 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Then you answered your own question ,how will HAL attract a younger generation who fond it difficult to save ,such as young families with children ,who are striving to have funds for their children's education  ;as well as every day expenses ,home ownership ie  . where would HAL get all these new cruising people ?  Now with costs escalating in nearly every sector of the economy  , me thinks that cruises are further down the wish list   .The test of time will tell  how HAL & the other cruise lines weather this price escalating storm   .Until the Fat lady sings we won;t know for sure 

That younger generation is used to paying more. They value vacations and work-life balance. As a result we are seeing shifts like a negative population growth (as with many fully-developed countries). This comes with pluses and minuses. In my son's generation there is a reluctance to commit to having children, for example, as they know all too well how expensive it can be -- many are still trying to get out from under their own student loan debt.

So instead of plowing more money into a house, and having children, many of them are choosing to live more frugally (e.g., a small apartment or condo) and to continue to maintain a quality of life they don't want to compromise rather than being house-poor and scrimping and getting by, as older generations were wont to do. It also means that they are not necessarily putting much into savings.

At the end of the day, I do understand that as one ages it becomes difficult to accept current pricing -- whether it is a car, an entry-level house, or vacations. I wish I had a dollar for every time I had to sit through my grandfather's diatribe on how he used to be able to get a hot lunch for a dime at the local greasy spoon; with another nickel he could get a coffee and slice of pie. 🙄

• Like 3

On 5/24/2021 at 11:27 PM, EnClair said:

I do not understand the gratuities and service charge concept. Just give me a price for the cruise. It is false marketing to promote a price, and the add all kind of charges, that originally are hidden to the consumer. I just want to know the full price of the cruise?

The HSC/Crew Incentive is optional; not everyone pays it. 

Port fees/taxes aren't optional, so they're part of the quoted cruise fare.     

Edited by Boatdrill

We simply view it as a price hike.  We just determine the impact on us based  and then come down to a bottom line all in price as it were.  Net, net as it were.

Then we compare against the other two or three ships/cruise lines with similar or equally satisfying itineraries and make a decision.   

Since we are happy with all of our shortlisted ships, otherwise they would not be shortlisted,  it usually comes down to price, give or take a few percentage points for personal preference.

• Like 1

I just checked the HAL website to how much my gratuities were going to be for a 10 day cruise (April 2022) and it shows the $14.50/day.  The total comes to $145, which equates to the $14.50/day.   image.thumb.png.ec7030b4efbaa7a1079d97e95d376977.png

Edited by cruzin4us

15 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I just checked the HAL website to how much my gratuities were going to be for a 10 day cruise (April 2022) and it shows the $14.50/day.  The total comes to $145, which equates to the $14.50/day.   image.thumb.png.ec7030b4efbaa7a1079d97e95d376977.png

I think I may have an answer to this that yours is lower and showing correct, if you booked this cruise prior to when they made this change you may actually be locked into the lower rate. While the cruise I am booked on was only reserved 8 days ago. But HAL has not corrected the website/verbiage on the section of the cost of Hotel Service Charge. Who knows that might not even be able to make that correction. But at any rate mine continues to show the rate of $14.50 yet wanting to charge me $15.50. I am OK with this, actually I have been paying a lot more since this is my first Non-Suite in many years. Since we added the July Alaska cruise on as kind of a last minute and we are also going in September and have a Suite figured our aft facing stateroom would still be a good option.  

• Like 1

I know when Carnival announces a rate increase early and if you prepay you lock in the old rate.   I am happy to pay the going rate and like others I give small tips by cash for those who made our voyage special.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

We booked 4 cruises before all these price increases , one with HAL ,one with Princess &b 2 with Carnival .  

Looking at cruise prices today ,we would not book any cruises  . When cruises stat costing $400 per day & up  it is time to look at all inclusive resorts or even more getaways from our Time share trading company  , Eat breakfast in with a occasional sandwich for lunch & dinners out   .We get as many of the day amenities as we would on any cruise   . Entertainment in the evening is extra unless it is all inclusive 

6 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I think I may have an answer to this that yours is lower and showing correct, if you booked this cruise prior to when they made this change you may actually be locked into the lower rate. While the cruise I am booked on was only reserved 8 days ago. But HAL has not corrected the website/verbiage on the section of the cost of Hotel Service Charge. Who knows that might not even be able to make that correction. But at any rate mine continues to show the rate of $14.50 yet wanting to charge me $15.50. I am OK with this, actually I have been paying a lot more since this is my first Non-Suite in many years. Since we added the July Alaska cruise on as kind of a last minute and we are also going in September and have a Suite figured our aft facing stateroom would still be a good option.  

No, I’ve had 2 cruises booked for several months and both are showing the new rate with the old verbiage.