NCL cancellations

Thanks for your sympathetic words about my upcoming cruise. My only hope is that Regent is under the NCL Holding umbrella. They are starting one NCL cruise to your part of the world and I hope one Regent.  I guess I will know in a few days to weeks and can plan accordingly.

Vaccination rates are of interest to me. I am a retired nurse who along with many volunteered to give vaccines in my state in the US. In Jan the stats were pretty grim. 50% said they would never get the vaccine, and roll out predicted to be very, very slow. States used medical reserves and volunteers to help with roll out.  5 months later over 70% fully vaccinated in 9 states and 50% average fully vaccinated. Anyone over 12 can get the vaccine, predicted to be over 2 years old(Pfizer) by fall.  As friends watch friends do well and getting more freedom they are getting the vaccine. Most of my “will never get vaccine” friends decided to get it. Some states doing a lottery, Ohio gave away 1 million dollars yesterday to someone who got the vaccine. We have been told now can safely go out without masks if fully vaccinated.  In addition to a long shot hope to get to your beautiful country I hope for you you be able to leave. I know many have family in the states who you long to see. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yikes, that's a worry, Leigh. I wonder why they have that attitude? Good to hear your daughter and son have decided to have it.

Yes it is a worry. I did vent about it to her, but she doesn't know why. Just said they are not having it. My daughter is a teacher, so really needs to protect herself and her husband is a police officer who had his first shot last week. Son has said along that he would have it as soon as he could. He talked to his team at work and suggested they all should have it which they agreed to. Daughter in law is still too young to have it but will as soon as she is eligible. I must be naive as it never entered my mind that these friends woudn't have the vaccination particularly when they can have the Pfizer vaccine.

Leigh

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes it is a worry. I did vent about it to her, but she doesn't know why. Just said they are not having it. My daughter is a teacher, so really needs to protect herself and her husband is a police officer who had his first shot last week. Son has said along that he would have it as soon as he could. He talked to his team at work and suggested they all should have it which they agreed to. Daughter in law is still too young to have it but will as soon as she is eligible. I must be naive as it never entered my mind that these friends woudn't have the vaccination particularly when they can have the Pfizer vaccine.

Leigh

I wonder if their attitude will change once they realise this variant of the virus works a lot faster than previous variants. If people are infectious within a day, instead of 4 to 5 days, they could pass it on before they have any clue they had been in an area of risk. Hopefully the lockdown will stop that but it may have spread further than expected especially if people haven't taken any notice of the list of locations of concern.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wonder if their attitude will change once they realise this variant of the virus works a lot faster than previous variants. If people are infectious within a day, instead of 4 to 5 days, they could pass it on before they have any clue they had been in an area of risk. Hopefully the lockdown will stop that but it may have spread further than expected especially if people haven't taken any notice of the list of locations of concern.

I think (well hope) the attitude of many will change with this outbreak. The incubation period seems to be even only a day or two in some cases but certainly a much shorter time than with other variants. With so many tier 1 exposure sites, the contact tracers have done a mighty job so far, but we have to rely on people's honesty and get tested  and isolate as directed if they were at a particular site.  The next few days will tell if it has escaped the net. The number of primary and secondary contacts is massive. 

It is amazing how much Melburnians travel around the city and suburbs at weekends. The number of exposure sites is a real worry for the authorities. 

Leigh

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Doubt it mic. The scardeycats and antivaxxers will never be convinced. So many oldies down here, as it is a retiree area, many are rejecting the jab. irriots.

Penalties and restrictions will start to apply and people will see it is better to have it than not.

Here is a question to the experienced board members. If in a few months if, hopefully, overseas vaccinated travellers go on their holidays with no spike in cases in their home countries. And so more vaccinated international travellers by the end of the year are posting stories about visiting other countries that FOMO might kick in for Australians who like to travel. If so this might increase vaccine uptake here. Any thoughts?

FOMO which I'm sure most know is "Fear Of Missing Out".

I am sure that when the restrictions on being unvaccinated start to outweigh the benefits for each individual then they will change their mind. Travel restrictions (intra and inter state as well as international ) will be just one of the main ones.

Others may become more of financial penalties. I.e no jab, no pay.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 9:46 PM, frantic36 said:

And so more vaccinated international travellers by the end of the year are posting stories about visiting other countries that FOMO might kick in for Australians who like to travel. If so this might increase vaccine uptake here. Any thoughts?

I agree with you, I think vaccine acceptance will increase as time goes by. I wouldn't be surprised if certain states closed their borders only to the unvaccinated should an outbreak occur. 

On 5/28/2021 at 6:33 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Doubt it mic. The scardeycats and antivaxxers will never be convinced. So many oldies down here, as it is a retiree area, many are rejecting the jab. irriots.

Are they so resistant to getting other vaccines like flu and pneumovax etc? I doubt it. I bet those people have never looked into the safety profiles of all the vaccines they've had in their lives but they've fallen hook, line and sinker for the conspiracy junk that's been circulating around the world since this pandemic started.

It really is frustrating. I suspect that by the end of next year when they see everyone around them having the vaccines and boosters, they'll realise they won't get whatever awful thing they're afraid of and just do it.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:36 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I was talking to my daughter, who is mid 40s last night about the Pfizer vaccination now being open to the 40 - 49 year olds. I was surprised when she said that most of her friends who are in the same age group don't want the vaccination full stop. She is going to book hers but is recovering from a cold (negative Covid test) so will wait until she is well. My son has booked his.

Leigh

I'm shocked that this age group, too is refusing the vaccine especially Pfizer. Maybe they listen to that celebrity chef/crazy theories guy on social media!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Stay indoors, lock the doors and windows, stay safe

As DT said, dont let covid run your life, i am on my way to the golf club to have dinner with the mexican escapees, covid ahoy, lol.  I will have a table for 1.

I heard the clubs etc here are banning the Vics currently, will let you know shortly.

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Wear a mask, especially  while eating, please post the pics.

No masks down here thank you.

nmmckzokogrb4j0a36sf.thumb.png.f02d4e736542a6490667f20270f74160.png

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Are they so resistant to getting other vaccines like flu and pneumovax etc? I doubt it. I bet those people have never looked into the safety profiles of all the vaccines they've had in their lives but they've fallen hook, line and sinker for the conspiracy junk that's been circulating around the world since this pandemic started.

It really is frustrating. I suspect that by the end of next year when they see everyone around them having the vaccines and boosters, they'll realise they won't get whatever awful thing they're afraid of and just do it.

I'm shocked that this age group, too is refusing the vaccine especially Pfizer. Maybe they listen to that celebrity chef/crazy theories guy on social media!

I agree. 👍

Ok, down at Club Catalina my golf club, just 3 minute drive. As most of you know in NSW if not a club member you have to produce your driver licence to gain entry. Sign at reception, Victorian residents not admitted. 

I would say the same policy all over the coast. Fair enough too. Those who escaped since last Thursday should be in lockdown.

• Like 1

My daughter went for a covid test in the Southern Highlands yesterday as she had flu like symptoms.  The staff were upset and and their first question was are you from Victoria too. They had just tested a victorian who had just turned up at the hospital testing centre. No wonder the staff were upset.

14 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

My daughter went for a covid test in the Southern Highlands yesterday as she had flu like symptoms.  The staff were upset and and their first question was are you from Victoria too. They had just tested a victorian who had just turned up at the hospital testing centre. No wonder the staff were upset.

Surely that person did the correct thing by going to have a test? You don't know how long they had been out of Victoria. 

Leigh

27 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Surely that person did the correct thing by going to have a test? You don't know how long they had been out of Victoria. 

Leigh

Exactly, they might have left weeks ago. Also there may well be people from NSW who had just returned from a stay in Victoria. 

• Like 1

I think that a testing facility should be saying welcome, thank you for doing the right thing and getting tested. Please come this way and when you are finished here please go strait home or where you are staying and we will get you the results as soon as we can. Meanwhile it would be the proper thing to wear a mask when in the company of others and wash your hands often. Crapping on someone trying to do the right thing is probably not helpful.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

Exactly the female Mexican should have not left Victoria if it was after last Thursday.  Reports last Thursday of heavy traffic exiting Vic on both Hume and Princes Hwys. They could be lurking near you !!

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think that a testing facility should be saying welcome, thank you for doing the right thing and getting tested. Please come this way and when you are finished here please go strait home or where you are staying and we will get you the results as soon as we can. Meanwhile it would be the proper thing to wear a mask when in the company of others and wash your hands often. Crapping on someone trying to do the right thing is probably not helpful.

Take your point Lyle, but the hospital staff had the right to be upset if the Victorian was breaking the law by being out and about after exiting Victoria after last Thursday.  The Southern Highlands is near the Hume Hwy, main exit road north from Victoria.

Edited by NSWP

44 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Take your point Lyle, but the hospital staff had the right to be upset if the Victorian was breaking the law by being out and about after exiting Victoria after last Thursday.  The Southern Highlands is near the Hume Hwy, main exit road north from Victoria.

No Les, you don't know that the Victorian who went to the hospital had been out and about before they went to be tested. Not every Victorian does the wrong thing! 😀 The hospital staff should have been pleased that the person went to get tested. 

Leigh

• Like 3