CDC gives Celebrity the approval to start in June

ipeeinthepool

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

LOL - I guess you missed the Florida law that was recently passed which is an attempt to control a certain part of the internet and what is or isn't posted.

Not heard anything about Desantis trying to control what is or isn’t on the internet.  Good luck with enforcing that, or trying to control it in any way.

22 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not heard anything about Desantis trying to control what is or isn’t on the internet.  Good luck with enforcing that, or trying to control it in any way.

Probably a reference to Florida’s recent ‘Big Tech’ Bill designed to penalize companies for de-platforming people/companies.

I have posted on other threads in other forums that I believe the method for sailings to start with a requirement for vaccination lays in the length of the cruise and ports of call. 

The example I have used are ports of call in the Bahamas.  The Bahamas has a required health visa that contains instructions for vaccinated and unvaccinated visitors.

https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates

Reading the requirements show that for vaccinated visitors, the health visa request can be submitted in advance. Proof of vaccination must be uploaded with the request. Once approved, the original proof of vaccination must be brought with the visitor. (For US citizens, the CDC card is the only acceptable proof).

For unvaccinated visitors, there is a requirement for testing and submission of the test results that are limited in the amount of time when they can be done.

For cruises that call in the Bahamas 5+ days into the cruise, there is simply no way for non-vaccinated passengers to meet the timeframes specified for "green" visa status.  

For all passengers, the cruiselines would follow their standard procedures at check in that passengers have all required documentation for ports of call. Nonvaccinated passengers can't meet the "green" visa status as  embarkation falls outside the specified timeframes of the Bahamian government.

Check your cruise itineraries for your cruises. If a Bahamian port is 5+ days into the itinerary, by default passengers will need to be vaccinated. 

Read the visa requirements in the link I provided. It gives specific information on children.

I only have looked at the Bahamas and have not studied the requirement for St. Maarten.

Also, for those who claim the vax proof can be easily forged, not so fast. There is information on the vax card that would need to be accurate in format or would flag the card as fraudulent .

No, I am not going to specified what I am referring to.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Probably a reference to Florida’s recent ‘Big Tech’ Bill designed to penalize companies for de-platforming people/companies.

OK....looked that up.  Unless you're posting something dangerous or false to a platform (FB. Twitter, etc) and the post could cause harm, I don't see how that will hold up.  Keep going back to the old "law" stating you can't yell "FIRE'" in a theater when there isn't one.   Moreover, I don't see how uploading a CDC COVID Vaccine card is relevant to being checked in to a cruise, unless someone wants to post it on Facebook.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer.

20 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

OK....looked that up.  Unless you're posting something dangerous or false to a platform (FB. Twitter, etc) and the post could cause harm, I don't see how that will hold up.  Keep going back to the old "law" stating you can't yell "FIRE'" in a theater when there isn't one.   Moreover, I don't see how uploading a CDC COVID Vaccine card is relevant to being checked in to a cruise, unless someone wants to post it on Facebook.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer.

The supreme court has ruled that companies have first amendment rights and with that right they can protect their business interests by removing customers who don't agree with their rules in order to use their service.  Florida telling them they can't enforce the rules is a first amendment infract of government vs business. As long as the rules are posted then they have rights.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

So what are the odds on sailing?  Do you think the Edge will sail in June?

I had a SV on hold that I let expire. I just can't pull the trigger on the 26th sailing yet. Too many constant changes and too much saying one thing then hearing different. Celebrity has been on radio silence since this sailing went on sale and now all the info we are getting is from the media....and we know how good that is. Right now I am sidelined and watching.

• Like 1

Greetings

We saw the 03 July Edge cruise pop up the week before the big announcement and rolled the dice and booked the cruise.  We were very happy the next week when Celebrity revealed the cruise was a go.   I have seen all the reports and hand wringing about the Florida Guy and the fight with the CDC and the new law.  Let's not argue the legality of the law but let's look at the new reporting about the law itself.  The law allows fine "up to" $5,000/person.  Desantis can make the fine $5/person and declare victory.  The law is also like other consumer protection laws in Florida.  There will not be state officials at the terminal counting each person that is asked for documentation.  If you are wronged (asked for vaccination proof) you will have to file a complaint with the state and the state will investigate and then may issue a fine.  The vast majority of our cruisers are not going to file a complaint against Celebrity.  Desantis can declare victory again saying the law is there and being enforced.  I am of the belief that the cruise lines realize that the law will have little actual effect on the cruises.

Hope to see everyone on the ocean again soon.

Good Sailing

Tom

Edited by tunaman2011
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I had a SV on hold that I let expire. I just can't pull the trigger on the 26th sailing yet. Too many constant changes and too much saying one thing then hearing different. Celebrity has been on radio silence since this sailing went on sale and now all the info we are getting is from the media....and we know how good that is. Right now I am sidelined and watching.

All of the SV's are sold out on the 6/26 & 7/3 & 7/10 (as far as I looked).

We are just waiting & hoping & praying & grumbling &............................!!!!!!!!

28 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I agree.   As much as I'd like to cruise, I'm going to let Celebrity and others work out the details.  Hopefully things will be worked out by the Fall.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tunaman2011 said:

Greetings

We saw the 03 July Edge cruise pop up the week before the big announcement and rolled the dice and booked the cruise.  We were very happy the next week when Celebrity revealed the cruise was a go.   I have seen all the reports and hand wringing about the Florida Guy and the fight with the CDC and the new law.  Let's not argue the legality of the law but let's look at the new reporting about the law itself.  The law allows fine "up to" $5,000/person.  Desantis can make the fine $5/person and declare victory.  The law is also like other consumer protection laws in Florida.  There will not be state officials at the terminal counting each person that is asked for documentation.  If you are wronged (asked for vaccination proof) you will have to file a complaint with the state and the state will investigate and then may issue a fine.  The vast majority of our cruisers are not going to file a complaint against Celebrity.  Desantis can declare victory again saying the law is there and being enforced.  I am of the belief that the cruise lines realize that the law will have little actual effect on the cruises.

Hope to see everyone on the ocean again soon.

Good Sailing

Tom

Hope to see you on the 7/3. Stop over to the Connections Party thread for this sailing.

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

So what are the odds on sailing?  Do you think the Edge will sail in June?

I would have said that odds are awesome since they publicly committed, but if Royal's about face on vaccination is true, all bets are off. 

2 minutes ago, D C said:

I would have said that odds are awesome since they publicly committed, but if Royal's about face on vaccination is true, all bets are off. 

I would say it's true as the local news here in FL is saying that Royal has announce they will be sailing starting July with vaccines "recommended". Like I said....our info is now from the media since both Royal and Celebrity are on radio silence

2 minutes ago, D C said:

FWIW,  I don't think Royal has done an about face on vaccination.  I think the statement was just very poorly worded.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

FWIW,  I don't think Royal has done an about face on vaccination.  I think the statement was just very poorly worded.

In the Royal Blog - Michael Baily stated that 90% of passengers are already vaccinated..........how does he know that if no one has been asked????

Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Michael Bayley welcomed the major announcement, "This is it. Vacationers can finally plan to take their precious time off this summer and truly get away after what has been a challenging time for everyone."

As of today, 90% of all vacationers booking with Royal Caribbean are either vaccinated or planning to get vaccinated in time for their cruise."

13 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article251909713.html

"In a press release Friday announcing cruises for sale on eight of its ships from U.S. ports this summer, starting with Freedom of the Seas from PortMiami on July 2, the company said it will recommend passengers get the COVID-19 vaccine, but not require it. The announcement is a reversal from previous statements and vaccine protocols the company submitted to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last month that said it would require all passengers at least 18 years old and older to be vaccinated.

“Guests are strongly recommended to set sail fully vaccinated, if they are eligible,” the company said in a statement. “Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols, which will be announced at a later date.”"

19 minutes ago, D C said:

I think RCI had two plans. Do test cruises because they knew the 95% would be a struggle. If and when the FL vaccine documentation debacle is cleared, change the guidelines or introduce new ships with different guidelines. After Richard Fain made the comment that all RCI guests would be "expected" to be vaccinated I thought it was pretty clear but maybe that was purposely open ended. Of all the lines, Carnival's comments yesterday made me think there is something brewing on that front. They were so anti-vaccine all along and now suddenly that's the path forward??

7 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

In the Royal Blog - Michael Baily stated that 90% of passengers are already vaccinated..........how does he know that if no one has been asked????

Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Michael Bayley welcomed the major announcement, "This is it. Vacationers can finally plan to take their precious time off this summer and truly get away after what has been a challenging time for everyone."

As of today, 90% of all vacationers booking with Royal Caribbean are either vaccinated or planning to get vaccinated in time for their cruise."

RCI has done several guest surveys over the past several months asking about people's vaccine status, plans, intent and comfort level with cruising under different scenarios. 

I am confused....I watched a video on the boards somewhere where they stated a while ago Royal was not going to require vaccines since they target families while Celebrity will have vaccines required.

I don't understand why feathers are ruffled if vaccines on Royal is optional? (That is why they are doing test sailings and Celebrity is not)

29 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I would say it's true as the local news here in FL is saying that Royal has announce they will be sailing starting July with vaccines "recommended". Like I said....our info is now from the media since both Royal and Celebrity are on radio silence

I haven’t checked in a week or so, but the last I found for Royal was they were requiring proof of vaccine (in the form of the CDC issued COVID Vaccine card or electronic proof for other areas) for those 16 and up, as well as 12 and up after August 1.  

Celebrity has been steadfast in requiring 95% COVID Vaccines on the Edge (the only one I’m interested in, since I’m booked for July 31 sailing).  But, I don’t think their demographic includes many children under the age of 12-18 years old.

I also saw the Carnival President’s interview stating she expects initial ships out of FL to require COVID vaccines.  Plus, they had an app people could use to upload the official CDC Covid Vaccine card.  I believe Celebrity is doing the same.

Feeling good about my sailing on Celebrity.

Edited by graphicguy

4 minutes ago, Justprettynpink said:

I am confused....I watched a video on the boards somewhere where they stated a while ago Royal was not going to require vaccines since they target families while Celebrity will have vaccines required.

I don't understand why feathers are ruffled if vaccines on Royal is optional? (That is why they are doing test sailings and Celebrity is not)

The reason that Royal went the test cruise route is cause they knew that with all the families/kids that sail Royal they would make the 95% threshold. HOWEVER they did say that they WERE going to require vaccines age appropriate. So they have done an about face.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article251909713.html

"In a press release Friday announcing cruises for sale on eight of its ships from U.S. ports this summer, starting with Freedom of the Seas from PortMiami on July 2, the company said it will recommend passengers get the COVID-19 vaccine, but not require it. The announcement is a reversal from previous statements and vaccine protocols the company submitted to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last month that said it would require all passengers at least 18 years old and older to be vaccinated.

“Guests are strongly recommended to set sail fully vaccinated, if they are eligible,” the company said in a statement. “Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols, which will be announced at a later date.”"

OK….I didn’t see that.  

So, Royal STRONGLY recommends being vaccinated.  But, if not, they’re going to require the mask and distancing routine.  That’s awkward, but OK.   They’ll have to police that.  And, you’ll have two classes of passengers that will be very noticeable….those moving freely with no masks around the ship who are vaccinated and those who are wearing masks and distancing who haven’t been vaccinated.