I’m not a snob

kasowell2

22 hours ago, Denny01 said:

enough. Love this thread. I don’t worry too much that we will always go Suite since we sometimes travel w others, and a port intensive itinerary may not be Suite-inducing…….who am I kidding. Except myself!

den

I do NOT want to cause this thread to devolve into a diatribe against suites - but Denny makes 2 good points about Celebrity Suite Class - everyone in a group has to be in a suite to eat together normally and suites can be a waste if shipboard time is limited. Personally, I sailed Edge in an inside after a couple of suite trips, and I would be happy doing a couple more Edge trips (maybe not an inside..) bouncing between MDRs and using the money savings for specialty dining. I only missed the Retreat when out on deck wondering about what it looked like.

42 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The short answer is that most people do tip.  Either at point of service for the drinks or more typically at the end of the cruise on "Tipping Night".  We usually give a group tip to the Maître 'D at Luminae to distribute to the dining team.  We give extra tips to our cabin steward and butler.  As for the Retreat, if we use the Retreat Concierge(s) during the cruise we tip them. 

And if one is concerned, more than one Luminae Maitre d' has told us that they are very conscientious about getting tips to the back of the house/kitchen staff who work just as hard as the front of the house. We will occasionally give a little above the group tip to waitstaff in Luminae that have made a particular impression, but we try to put most in the group tip because of the busboys, kitchen staff, etc.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, El Crucero said:

Our butler in our first suite personally authorized a very late departure for us so that he could show us every category of suite stateroom on that ship.  The rooms were being cleaned but no matter, everyone had left.  He told us which suite stateroom was the best value and why it was the best (no it was not the most expensive suite).  This guy was fantastic!  Memories that last forever.

OK, can't leave that one! I know which one I think might be best value, but what was his opinion? We gotta know.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

It is no secret reading my posts that dw and I have only sailed suites for a number of years since we retired.  I don't think we are snobs.  Maybe others here will disagree (and have disagreed).  Don't care.  But we enjoy suites.  And we fly business class to get to the ships if the flights are long.  We choose to spend our money this way.  We worked for it. 

And we will do it our way. 

Sir, I have read so many of your excellent posts.

Regarding the above, Good for you !!!  Agree 100 % .

I hope you are not being " apologetic " for cruising in a suite.

And, why would anyone think that folks that cruise in a suite are " snobs " ?  

Who's " business " is it anyway ?

( We prefer a large balcony on the hump on deck 9  ).

LOL-- We have been on over 40 cruises---Until I started reading CC just over a year ago , I never thought for one minute of anyone's " Status ", what accommodations they are in, or , or ,  Who's going to be on board ( Captain, Cruise Director , Chief Engineer ). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

OK, can't leave that one! I know which one I think might be best value, but what was his opinion? We gotta know.

Celebrity Suite starboard side (Millennium class ships).  Now I've ruined it for me getting a future reservation!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NanaPam00 said:

We are sailing in our first suite in July. Do we tip in the Retreat Lounge, and if so, how?

We always tip with each drink , I bring lots of singles and small bills , also tip in Luminae daily since we don’t always get same servers , but that is just us, we also tip extra at end of the week for those who were special. Always tip butler and room steward at end of week. 

Another thread asks what we are going to do now that we are ‘finally’ going back on board. And this is one of them! We missed all of 2020 and have more than a few bucks in FCC’s, and just as TeeRick points out, we can spend our funds as we wish, and we are looking more and more at a finite time of being able to cruise and travel so we have decided to try more options, including trying the Retreat!

Heck, we had to cancel two Viking River cruises and had a goodly amount tied up there, so we signed up for their Great Lakes Expedition cruises and are now doing a B2B to cross through all of them. When I looked at the pricing, I realized I was paying more than I’d do on a 14N Celebrity in a Suite……sooooo here we are! 

This thread is of Great help! It helps knowing I could invite friends to the Luminae and the price isn’t that high. And the other piece of Great Help is the Lobster Roll on Embarkation Day!!! Wow, Can I get 2?!?

Den

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

This thread is of Great help! It helps knowing I could invite friends to the Luminae and the price isn’t that high. And the other piece of Great Help is the Lobster Roll on Embarkation Day!!! Wow, Can I get 2?!?

Den

Den,  Go for at least two lobster rolls.  I found them to be small with very little lobster on our Edge sailing.  Unlike suite snobs, dw and I are big lobster Snobs with a capital S.  We grew up in New England and dw's family has a place in Maine.  We were just there a couple of week's ago.  We got caught up on our lobster fix while there.   The only cruise where we had good lobster (as we define it) was in the Canadian maritime provinces on Summit Canada/NE itinerary. The lobster night on most cruises out of FL are serving warm water Caribbean lobster.  It tastes a bit like real lobster.  A bit.  But on Edge if you go to Fine Cut Steakhouse you can get a Surf N' Turf with Maine lobster.  No matter- go for a double order of Luminae Lobster Roll and tell them Tee Rick sent you.  😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Sir, I have read so many of your excellent posts.

Regarding the above, Good for you !!!  Agree 100 % .

I hope you are not being " apologetic " for cruising in a suite.

And, why would anyone think that folks that cruise in a suite are " snobs " ?  

Who's " business " is it anyway ?

( We prefer a large balcony on the hump on deck 9  ).

LOL-- We have been on over 40 cruises---Until I started reading CC just over a year ago , I never thought for one minute of anyone's " Status ", what accommodations they are in, or , or ,  Who's going to be on board ( Captain, Cruise Director , Chief Engineer ). 

Pinboy, Thank you.  I am far past being apologetic for things I enjoy in life with my family and friends.  Especially after the past 15 months!🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 39august said:

You can most likely get two lobster rolls. I ordered one with extra lobster salad on the side. It was a huge serving!

I love it! A lobster roll with lobster on the side.  You are a genius!🙂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Den,  Go for at least two lobster rolls.  I found them to be small with very little lobster on our Edge sailing.  Unlike suite snobs, dw and I are big lobster Snobs with a capital S.  We grew up in New England and dw's family has a place in Maine.  We were just there a couple of week's ago.  We got caught up on our lobster fix while there.   The only cruise where we had good lobster (as we define it) was in the Canadian maritime provinces on Summit Canada/NE itinerary. The lobster night on most cruises out of FL are serving warm water Caribbean lobster.  It tastes a bit like real lobster.  A bit.  But on Edge if you go to Fine Cut Steakhouse you can get a Surf N' Turf with Maine lobster.  No matter- go for a double order of Luminae Lobster Roll and tell them Tee Rick sent you.  😀

Will do TeeRick! And I agree on the lobster. We did a Summit NE/Canada cruise and in port, I had lobster omelette, then lunch with a roll and then full lobster for early dinner! I normally don’t eat in port (I love when people ask me where the best restaurant is in town, I point back at the ship and say, “And it has the best prices also!”).

And Caribbean ‘lobster’, it should be referred to as Langustas which identifies it correctly. It’s OK, but no real claw and not nearly as sweet and smooooooth texture as NE lobster. When you buy a lobster tail at most places, that’s what you are getting. Use to net them when I was stationed in Key West and did fine with them, but Not close to the real NE lobsters.

den

Our very first Celebrity cruise will be next summer on Eclipse in a Celebrity Suite - this thread has been great to get a sense of what a first day is like on a Celebrity ship (we have been DCL cruisers for many years but now want to try something new since our daughter will be 18 next June).   Looking forward to delicious dining, great service and the beauty of Alaska!

I will admit to being a champagne snob.   In Concierge on DCL, they serve excellent champagne.  What can I expect on Celebrity?

Edited by kstetser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

And the other piece of Great Help is the Lobster Roll on Embarkation Day!!! Wow, Can I get 2?!?

In Luminae, you can get as many as you want.  Don't spread this around, but I know someone (who shall remain nameless) who became very good friends with the Luminae maitre'd.  He requested lobster roll on a day not on the menu, but a day in advance.  Voila!  TWO lobster rolls showed up on his luncheon plate the next day as he sat down.  What's not to like?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kstetser said:

Our very first Celebrity cruise will be next summer on Eclipse in a Celebrity Suite - this thread has been great to get a sense of what a first day is like on a Celebrity ship (we have been DCL cruisers for many years but now want to try something new since our daughter will be 18 next June).   Looking forward to delicious dining, great service and the beauty of Alaska!

I will admit to being a champagne snob.   In Concierge on DCL, they serve excellent champagne.  What can I expect on Celebrity?

There's a Veuve Cliquot tasting event, but I think it's a pay extra event. we're trying to rack our brain for the best champagne typically offered on highest drink package/retreat Lounge without a surcharge. I thought the yellow label VC was "free" at the one sailaway, but DH says no.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

That's kinda how we feel about the shrimp, we tend to stay away from the shrimp cocktail, just isn't right

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 39august said:

You can most likely get two lobster rolls. I ordered one with extra lobster salad on the side. It was a huge serving!

I will definitely be taking your advice but can you substitute the regular fries for the truffle fries that come with the burger.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 9:40 AM, Denny01 said:

Exactly why I always stayed away from going Suites! Just as many of us, we started cruising in Oceanview or Inside cabins. Celebrity offered us a balcony for only a few bucks more, and we never went back!

After seeing a Zoom presentation on the Beyond, which of course emphasizes the Retreat, we had to give a Suite a go. Picked a Transatlantic to give us max use of the experience and the Edge due to itinerary. 

I understand the intent of the threads title, but I’ve run into more ‘Cheap Snobs’ than ‘Suite Snobs’. We’ve all had the experience of listening to some couple go on and on about how they never spend a dime extra, go Inside SRs, and of course we know how they treat the staff….they are boring and you know they are judging everyone based on money. 

enough. Love this thread. I don’t worry too much that we will always go Suite since we sometimes travel w others, and a port intensive itinerary may not be Suite-inducing…….who am I kidding. Except myself!

den

Spot on Denny!  Enjoy the suite life in that TA!!!

3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

The last couple of years you can get Montaudon in the Retreat Lounge and with the Premium Drink package.  You need to ask for it or you will get the real cheap stuff.

Good to know and thanks for the tip!   (Concierge on DCL you have Moet and Veuve Clicquot.)    

Edited by kstetser

6 hours ago, El Crucero said:

Celebrity Suite starboard side (Millennium class ships).  Now I've ruined it for me getting a future reservation!

I'll never tell! We have a Celeb Suite for our August cruise, don't know which side and it's on Equinox, but doesn't really matter.

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

We have a Celeb Suite for our August cruise, don't know which side and it's on Equinox, but doesn't really matter.

According to our butler it does matter.  He says that in his several years service on Celebrity, they dock in any port more often on the port side than the starboard side.  Therefore, more noise, commotion, and less privacy on the port side.  This advice applies to all staterooms, not just suites.  I don't have enough cruises to verify this.

8 hours ago, El Crucero said:

I didn’t like my celebrity suite on infinity, really disliked the balcony it was wide with no depth , did try royal suite the following year on same ship loved it , have it booked for my next two cruises.

I know the side that is to the pier can be ‘busy’, but I love to watch the tie-up, the passengers getting on and off and the loading of supplies. Kind of fun to watch the business of a port. But the best part is watching the last boarders and the late ones frantically running down the pier. Love it!  

Den

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, El Crucero said:

According to our butler it does matter.  He says that in his several years service on Celebrity, they dock in any port more often on the port side than the starboard side.  Therefore, more noise, commotion, and less privacy on the port side.  This advice applies to all staterooms, not just suites.  I don't have enough cruises to verify this.

Maybe I'm missing something - the butler reported that the best suite value was Celebrity Suite, starboard side, on Millennium class. We were in that suite (for a great price) on a Millennium transpacific a few years back (pre-Revolution). What confuses me is that ALL of the Celebrity Suites on that ship were on the starboard side. The elevator bank occupied the corresponding location on the port side. Did that change?