I’m not a snob

kasowell2

53 minutes ago, laurajc said:

We are booked on the July 10th Millennium out of St Maarten.  I am hoping folks on the June sailings will post Luminae menus!

The first time we booked a suite on Celebrity, we went to Luminae the first day for lunch.  They had Lobster Roll sandwich on the menu!  It was so out-of-this-world delicious, it broke my mouth!  The next morning we went to Luminae for breakfast and I had my first ever Pistacio Danish.  WOW!  Bart from Goa, India was our very excellent butler.  I was hooked on Suites and Luminae forever.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I am sure I will burst into tears when I step on board the next time though......tears of joy and relief ... 

Especially when we find crew members that we have so dearly missed...

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Especially when we find crew members that we have so dearly missed...

That is true for those of us who do not have the ability (not willingness, ability) to sail in suites. We absolutely adore our favorite crew members, too! 

Here's hoping that all of us fortunate to have the ability to cruise in any cabin will be doing so and greeting our beloved crews on healthy ships soon. 

Thanks to everyone who helps other cruisers on these boards.

• Like 9

On the non-revolutionized ships you had to wait to get into room - no carry-on drop-off until the room was ready. They will hold your bags in Michael's if you ask. At least this was the procedure on the Infinity in Dec 2019.

I agree with other posters here, nothing like going to Michael's or the Retreat lounge and getting that first glass of champagne. I can't explain why it is so special but it has been for all 3 cruises we took in suites.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Crucero said:

The first time we booked a suite on Celebrity, we went to Luminae the first day for lunch.  They had Lobster Roll sandwich on the menu!  It was so out-of-this-world delicious, it broke my mouth!  The next morning we went to Luminae for breakfast and I had my first ever Pistacio Danish.  WOW!  Bart from Goa, India was our very excellent butler.  I was hooked on Suites and Luminae forever.  

Agree lobster roll there is great along with many other dishes, original poster will have a problem, once you do a suite on Celebrity you never want to go back. I got a complementary upgrade to sky suite ten years ago and have booked nothing but suites since , celebrity has best suite perks only other close is MSC yacht club.

• Like 1

As others have said, we head straight to the Retreat/Michaels Club lounge to enjoy a drink or two and just unwind from the excitement and anticipation of finally being onboard. After that we lunch in Luminae where the last two times we sailed our butler came to meet us to introduce himself and take our carry-on luggage to our suite. Usually after lunch our luggage has been delivered and I get to unpacking in time to enjoy champagne on our balcony as we sail off on another memorable vacation! 

We first go to make sure we have our spa and specialty  restaurant reservations booked.  Then, we go to Michael's club for our first cocktail.  Typically, we wait for luminae to open, which is at noon an enjoy lunch.   We then go to our suite and unpack.

Sail away is next, and we go to meet our fellow cruisers at the aft bar.  

• Like 1

For those booked in a suite on the upcoming Millennium, Apex, Edge, or Silhouette sailings, I was wondering if you've been assigned times to arrive or can come whenever you want? I'll have my first suite cruise later this year and am curious how early everyone can start doing all of the things that have been discussed on this thread?

Thank you to the OP and everyone who's responded for all of the ideas.

1 hour ago, zaxanon6 said:

For those booked in a suite on the upcoming Millennium, Apex, Edge, or Silhouette sailings, I was wondering if you've been assigned times to arrive or can come whenever you want? I'll have my first suite cruise later this year and am curious how early everyone can start doing all of the things that have been discussed on this thread?

We were told to pick a time for our July cruise on millennium, that would speed up the process, normally never a problem any time you arrive.

22 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

The title was sorta tongue and cheek comment

I sorta knew that!😀  But there are sometimes negative comments in any thread about suites unfortunately. 

As to your question- we drop off our carry-on bags in the suite (on E-Class and revolutionized ships).  Then we head to Luminae for lunch.  If we are on a ship that will not let us do a drop off first then we go directly to Luminae and check our bags there while eating and wait for the usual announcement about cabins being ready.  Or we go to the Retreat/MC where we can also leave our carry on bags while we explore the ship.  Once in the cabin we see if our luggage has been delivered yet (usually not).  Then head to a bar where we have arranged to meet others on our roll call for Sail Away.

20 hours ago, El Crucero said:

………I was hooked on Suites and Luminae forever.  

Exactly why I always stayed away from going Suites! Just as many of us, we started cruising in Oceanview or Inside cabins. Celebrity offered us a balcony for only a few bucks more, and we never went back!

After seeing a Zoom presentation on the Beyond, which of course emphasizes the Retreat, we had to give a Suite a go. Picked a Transatlantic to give us max use of the experience and the Edge due to itinerary. 

I understand the intent of the threads title, but I’ve run into more ‘Cheap Snobs’ than ‘Suite Snobs’. We’ve all had the experience of listening to some couple go on and on about how they never spend a dime extra, go Inside SRs, and of course we know how they treat the staff….they are boring and you know they are judging everyone based on money. 

enough. Love this thread. I don’t worry too much that we will always go Suite since we sometimes travel w others, and a port intensive itinerary may not be Suite-inducing…….who am I kidding. Except myself!

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Exactly why I always stayed away from going Suites! Just as many of us, we started cruising in Oceanview or Inside cabins. Celebrity offered us a balcony for only a few bucks more, and we never went back!

After seeing a Zoom presentation on the Beyond, which of course emphasizes the Retreat, we had to give a Suite a go. Picked a Transatlantic to give us max use of the experience and the Edge due to itinerary. 

I understand the intent of the threads title, but I’ve run into more ‘Cheap Snobs’ than ‘Suite Snobs’. We’ve all had the experience of listening to some couple go on and on about how they never spend a dime extra, go Inside SRs, and of course we know how they treat the staff….they are boring and you know they are judging everyone based on money. 

enough. Love this thread. I don’t worry too much that we will always go Suite since we sometimes travel w others, and a port intensive itinerary may not be Suite-inducing…….who am I kidding. Except myself!

den

I've sailed in everything from the PH to an inside.  You can go back and forth.  Yes, I love the suite life.  But sometimes the prices are unbelievable.  If the price is right, I'll book a suite.  If I'm traveling with friends who are not in suites, then I don't.

• Like 8

On 5/29/2021 at 9:22 AM, Gracie115 said:

We go to Michael's for a glass of champagne, then head to our suite as soon as it is ready.  We are usually in a CS so we both just reflect at how lucky we are to be where we are, then head to Luminae for lunch, where hopefully we will meet up with friends.  Attend a CC sailaway party for a bit and then head to the suite to enjoy wine on the balcony as we sail away.

Probably not much different than anyone else except for Luminae, which is just wonderful.

I am sure I will burst into tears when I step on board the next time though......tears of joy and relief that the world is getting back to a kind of normal. 

I am with you on the  bursting into tears! We are as excited about our Alaska cruise in Sept. as we were for our very first cruise (also Alaska!) and we are so happy planning! We are simply gleeful and grateful!

We will probably drop off luggage, then either the Retreat or Martini Bar for our first on board drink..

then Luminae for lunch..then back to our beautiful new CS to unpack and enjoy sail away on our veranda!

• Like 1

Our last cruise (Caribbean Feb, 2020) was on the Edge and we were able to go directly to our suite.  We left our luggage then went directly to The Retreat for a glass of champagne.  Having never been on the Edge we were pleasantly surprised that we really liked The Retreat, even though we did miss the actual bar where it was easier to meet others.  Soon after we usually go to the gym so DH can sign up for spin classes, then onto Luminae for lunch.    Our next Celebrity cruise isn’t until next April unfortunately. 

6 hours ago, zaxanon6 said:

For the Apex from Athens we picked a time - this is going to be very different with all the health checks. I was surprised to get an early time of 11.30. First suite since Century many years ago. Like so many others we’ve sailed in so many categories and our very first were inside. A hurricane cruise got us a huge discount so our next cruise could be a balcony.  We’ve loved every one and although we are (fingers crossed) looking forward to a Sky Suite on Apex I know we won’t be able to afford that again. I pay for my mum and I’d rather take a couple of vacations a year. 
Wendy 

On 5/29/2021 at 12:48 AM, kasowell2 said:

I’m really not a snob but wanted to ask this question to those that cruise in suites. We’ve only been in a suite once before. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we will be sailing on the Edge July 17th. Those that have cruised in suites, what’s the first thing you do when getting on the ship?

Put our Snob badge on, only joking.😃

On 5/29/2021 at 12:53 PM, El Crucero said:

This is based on our experience on Edge in February 2020. The Lobster Roll sandwich is my primary goal for embarkation day.  That is the only day it is available.  The Luminae Burger, while delicious is available every day. 

on Edge you have the choice of lunch at Luminae or you can go to the Retreat Lounge where food is available, or you can go to the Retreat Sundeck and eat at the bar or at tables in that general area (the lobster roll is available from the menu at the sundeck bar). 

As others have said, we were able to go to our suite and pick up our sea pass cards, they were on the door number sign outside the room.  We dropped our bags off and then headed to the Retreat Lounge to relax and have a soda or water before heading to Luminae for lunch before going to our stateroom to relax with the welcome bottle(s) of sparkling wine or regular wine. 

• Like 2

We've had a suite once before (Sky Suite for a 2-night taster cruise) and loved it. Otherwise our cruises have been in standard balconies and concierge class. If things go to plan, we have a cruise in a Royal Suite this year (and then two in Sky Suites next year).

Our plans/hopes (which are very flexible) for this year's Royal are on boarding:

1. Drop bags to room if we can and give it an explore

2. Fresca martini (either at Martini bar or Retreat)

3. Sort out dining for the evening - will depend on menus whether we book Murano or go to Luminae. Book some specialty dining through the cruise.

4. Lunch (likely at either Sushi on Five or The Porch - or maybe Luminae.  We understand with a RS we get unlimited specialty dining)

5. Chill til muster drill (might make use of the balcony hot tub)

6. Muster drill

7. Nap time

8 Dinner

Precise plans will depend on whether we drive down the night before or on the day, which we haven't decided yet. Normally drive down the day before but will likely be working that day, so would mean a late arrival in Southampton.  We'll worry about that nearer the time. If we do drive down on the day, first day will be very alcohol light for me, as I find the drive tires me out and if I'm not careful I'm asleep by 8pm!

I'm really hoping we get a helipad sailaway invite at some point. (Never had one, always wanted to do one).   We're going to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary (and my 50th, which was earlier this year).

23 hours ago, Denny01 said:

den

It is no secret reading my posts that dw and I have only sailed suites for a number of years since we retired.  I don't think we are snobs.  Maybe others here will disagree (and have disagreed).  Don't care.  But we enjoy suites.  And we fly business class to get to the ships if the flights are long.  We choose to spend our money this way.  We worked for it.  It has become even more apparent to us since March 2020 that life is short and what we enjoy can be taken away almost overnight.  When we get back to travel and cruising we will be very grateful.  And we will do it our way.  By the way if we happen to travel with others not in suites, we dine with them in the MDR or in specialty restaurants, but we also frequently host them (and pay for them) in Luminae.  In fact Luminae (at $30 pp for guests for dinner) is the very best and least expensive specialty restaurant on the ship.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NanaPam00 said:

We are sailing in our first suite in July. Do we tip in the Retreat Lounge, and if so, how?

We tip at the end of the cruise to those staff members who were most attentive during the time we spent in the Retreat.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NanaPam00 said:

We are sailing in our first suite in July. Do we tip in the Retreat Lounge, and if so, how?

The short answer is that most people do tip.  Either at point of service for the drinks or more typically at the end of the cruise on "Tipping Night".  We usually give a group tip to the Maître 'D at Luminae to distribute to the dining team.  We give extra tips to our cabin steward and butler.  As for the Retreat, if we use the Retreat Concierge(s) during the cruise we tip them. 

18 minutes ago, NanaPam00 said:

We almost always tip all in the retreat lounge but it is dependent upon great service. If the bar tender uses top shelf liquor whenever we order, the tip goes up etc.

Of the eight sailings that we did in 2019 there was only one sailing where we did not tip the retreat Conciarge. The simple fact was that they did nothing for us other than greet us with the occasional hello.

Whilst I would love to believe that most people tip in the retreat lounge the truth seems to be that it is not the case. I’ve spoken at length to various Retreat Lounge Conciarge staff. On one Christmas sailing their tips totaled just $60 from all guests!

The bartender seems to be tipped by more guests. They are also paid more because of the unique situation they are in, unable to earn auto gratuity tips per drink purchased.

I believe that tipping over and above the auto gratuity is important but it’s not a right. Tips must be earned through great service.

We usually tip on the night before disembarkation in cash. If doing a B2B we will tip at the end of each sailing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NanaPam00 said:

It is certainly not necessary but most suite guests do.  You will see what I mean after your experience in a suite.  The staff gives you the very best in service, above and beyond anything I have experienced elsewhere.  Suite staff work very hard for you.  Although gratuities are included with the suite, we always try to be generous to the staff on the last night as a way to say, "thank you, can I take you home with me?"  Our butler in our first suite personally authorized a very late departure for us so that he could show us every category of suite stateroom on that ship.  The rooms were being cleaned but no matter, everyone had left.  He told us which suite stateroom was the best value and why it was the best (no it was not the most expensive suite).  This guy was fantastic!  Memories that last forever.

• Like 1