I’m not a snob

kasowell2

13 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I know the side that is to the pier can be ‘busy’, but I love to watch the tie-up, the passengers getting on and off and the loading of supplies. Kind of fun to watch the business of a port. But the best part is watching the last boarders and the late ones frantically running down the pier. Love it! 

Den

I'm glad I am not the only one standing on my balcony enjoying the last minute show.  Cruise Run of Shame.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, George C said:

I didn’t like my celebrity suite on infinity, really disliked the balcony it was wide with no depth , did try royal suite the following year on same ship loved it , have it booked for my next two cruises.

We like the large size and space of the CS on M-Class.  But the balcony was a later add-on to these ships so it is narrow.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I'm glad I am not the only one standing on my balcony enjoying the last minute show.  Cruise Run of Shame.

We are with you on that--- 

What " really " bothers me is :  At every port there is an ambulance taking someone to hospital -- And, I can't stand watching people taking pictures/videos from their balcony of the scene. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExArkie said:

Maybe I'm missing something - the butler reported that the best suite value was Celebrity Suite, starboard side, on Millennium class. We were in that suite (for a great price) on a Millennium transpacific a few years back (pre-Revolution). What confuses me is that ALL of the Celebrity Suites on that ship were on the starboard side. The elevator bank occupied the corresponding location on the port side. Did that change?

You  are missing his point.  In his opinion, ALL suite staterooms of any category and any staterooms are better on the starboard side for the reasons given, in his opinion.

3 hours ago, El Crucero said:

You  are missing his point.  In his opinion, ALL suite staterooms of any category and any staterooms are better on the starboard side for the reasons given, in his opinion.

Thank you. Figured I was missing some point somewhere...

On 5/28/2021 at 7:48 PM, kasowell2 said:

I’m really not a snob but wanted to ask this question to those that cruise in suites. We’ve only been in a suite once before. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we will be sailing on the Edge July 17th. Those that have cruised in suites, what’s the first thing you do when getting on the ship?

There is no crime for being a snob when sailing... only acting like one! LOL

I Am always in a verandah cabin and I Am a snob when telling friends that I only sail on X, except I do get humbled when some of my friends tell me they ONLY sail on Crystal.... LOL

Have fun regardless... bon voyage

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

There is no crime for being a snob when sailing... only acting like one! LOL

I Am always in a verandah cabin and I Am a snob when telling friends that I only sail on X, except I do get humbled when some of my friends tell me they ONLY sail on Crystal.... LOL

Have fun regardless... bon voyage

Boy, if I had friends who only ‘sail’ on Crystal (meth??), I’d find some new friends. they sound very dangerous doing drugs such as that! 

Den  

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Boy, if I had friends who only ‘sail’ on Crystal (meth??), I’d find some new friends. they sound very dangerous doing drugs such as that! 

Den  

LOL - Den when I Am able to sail in one of the Iconic Suites there will be a party every night!!!

You are on the permanent invite list, to say the least...

Bon voyage

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2021 at 8:22 AM, TeeRick said:

It is no secret reading my posts that dw and I have only sailed suites for a number of years since we retired.  I don't think we are snobs.  Maybe others here will disagree (and have disagreed).  Don't care.  But we enjoy suites.  And we fly business class to get to the ships if the flights are long.  We choose to spend our money this way.  We worked for it.  It has become even more apparent to us since March 2020 that life is short and what we enjoy can be taken away almost overnight.  When we get back to travel and cruising we will be very grateful.  And we will do it our way.  By the way if we happen to travel with others not in suites, we dine with them in the MDR or in specialty restaurants, but we also frequently host them (and pay for them) in Luminae.  In fact Luminae (at $30 pp for guests for dinner) is the very best and least expensive specialty restaurant on the ship.

How we travel changed a few years ago based on input/insistence of our kids. We had always flown in economy and usually sailed in a balcony. When I retired we were able to do more travel for leisure. We were cruising from Seattle to Sydney and was booking the return air from Sydney to Dallas. The celebrity website gave us flight choices on 5 days and one of those had a very reasonable price for business class air. Our daughter was sitting next to me and when she saw I was thinking about the price she said “Dad, just book the business class. It’s worth it and you can afford it. Besides, it’s my money anyway, someday!”  Our son wasn’t there but he has also encouraged us to spend our money in retirement. As he often says “You earned it, spend it!”  So we enjoy business class air for international flights and we tend to book suites on cruises. Usually Sky Suites on Celebrity and Grand Suites on Royal but we’ve sailed in the Royal Suite on FOS and in a Crown Loft Suite on Oasis. Just kind of depends on what’s available at what price. Frankly, other than the cruise in the Royal Suite my favorite cabins have been aft balconies - sometimes suites sometimes just balconies. Love that view!

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, judatt said:

Usually Sky Suites on Celebrity and Grand Suites on Royal but we’ve sailed in the Royal Suite on FOS and in a Crown Loft Suite on Oasis. Just kind of depends on what’s available at what price. Frankly, other than the cruise in the Royal Suite my favorite cabins have been aft balconies - sometimes suites sometimes just balconies. Love that view!

We also normally do grand suites on rccl our favorite one is 1600 on Brilliance which is a corner aft . Love the royal suites on Celebrity as long as we can afford it . We have a royal suite booked on Celebrity millennium this July 3rd.

On 5/31/2021 at 6:26 PM, El Crucero said:

According to our butler it does matter.  He says that in his several years service on Celebrity, they dock in any port more often on the port side than the starboard side.  Therefore, more noise, commotion, and less privacy on the port side.  This advice applies to all staterooms, not just suites.  I don't have enough cruises to verify this.

Interesting, but I think depends on the cruise you are on.  We have found the CS on an M class ship that is on the back side of the hump and on the south side of the ship on a TA, which is our cruise of choice, is by far the best CS on the ship.  We have done several TA's in the this suite, most going east, but one going west and were able to use our balcony every single day because of how this suite is situated.  The back side of the hump protects you from most rain and wind, it's always the room we try to book when possible.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:23 AM, Pinboy said:

Sir, I have read so many of your excellent posts.

Regarding the above, Good for you !!!  Agree 100 % .

I hope you are not being " apologetic " for cruising in a suite.

And, why would anyone think that folks that cruise in a suite are " snobs " ?  

Who's " business " is it anyway ?

( We prefer a large balcony on the hump on deck 9  ).

LOL-- We have been on over 40 cruises---Until I started reading CC just over a year ago , I never thought for one minute of anyone's " Status ", what accommodations they are in, or , or ,  Who's going to be on board ( Captain, Cruise Director , Chief Engineer ).

p - t is apologizing for me not sailing in a suite.... LOL

No one need ever apologize for their cabin selection.... just enjoy it.

bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, judatt said:

Usually Sky Suites on Celebrity and Grand Suites on Royal but we’ve sailed in the Royal Suite on FOS and in a Crown Loft Suite on Oasis. Just kind of depends on what’s available at what price. Frankly, other than the cruise in the Royal Suite my favorite cabins have been aft balconies - sometimes suites sometimes just balconies. Love that view!

We enjoy corner aft Sky Suites on Celebrity S-Class ships.  The hump Sky Suites on M-Class ships and the spacious CS on M-Class too.  We also sail Royal Caribbean.  No reason to book a junior suite (no benefit to it).  But we go to the GS and on Oasis Class we sailed in a Crown Loft Suite on Harmony.  We loved it!

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

p - t is apologizing for me not sailing in a suite.... LOL

No one need ever apologize for their cabin selection.... just enjoy it.

bon voyage

If I chose an Inside cabin I would definitely need to apologize to my wife who would never sail without a balcony!🙂

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Interesting, but I think depends on the cruise you are on.  We have found the CS on an M class ship that is on the back side of the hump and on the south side of the ship on a TA, which is our cruise of choice, is by far the best CS on the ship.  We have done several TA's in the this suite, most going east, but one going west and were able to use our balcony every single day because of how this suite is situated.  The back side of the hump protects you from most rain and wind, it's always the room we try to book when possible.

Yes that is the best CS in the fleet.  I just wish it had a wider balcony!

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If I chose an Inside cabin I would definitely need to apologize to my wife who would never sail without a balcony!🙂

You have given me a great idea, like saying I did and didn't.... solo!!!

bon voyage

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes that is the best CS in the fleet.  I just wish it had a wider balcony!

Well I like those too....but I meant to write "S" class not M class.  :classic_blush:

We love the CS on the M class too, but you're right balcony is too narrow.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pinboy said:

We are with you on that--- 

What " really " bothers me is :  At every port there is an ambulance taking someone to hospital -- And, I can't stand watching people taking pictures/videos from their balcony of the scene. 

A dear friend of ours broke her femur while unpacking the first night of their cruise. She was lowered down to a waiting Cost Guard boat and transported to a hospital in Hollywood (FL) where she had surgery. After she got back home she wanted to see a photo of her being lowered off the ship. I went to the Roll Call for that cruise and asked if anyone had photos and one of the Roll Call members sent me one. My friend was really happy to have it!

3 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Well I like those too....but I meant to write "S" class not M class.  :classic_blush:

We love the CS on the M class too, but you're right balcony is too narrow.

Yes we have also stayed in that CS on S-Class.  Very nice.

13 minutes ago, Jazzbo said:

A dear friend of ours broke her femur while unpacking the first night of their cruise. She was lowered down to a waiting Cost Guard boat and transported to a hospital in Hollywood (FL) where she had surgery. After she got back home she wanted to see a photo of her being lowered off the ship. I went to the Roll Call for that cruise and asked if anyone had photos and one of the Roll Call members sent me one. My friend was really happy to have it!

It's too bad that happened and hope her recovery went well.

However, I doubt the intent of people taking pictures of someone's unfortunate incident was in case anyone on a social media site " saved " the picture to send to them. 

Have not yet tried the sweet suite life aboard any cruise ship. Always a balcony cabin and sometimes Aqua class. One day I am sure that we will indulge ourselves with at least a Sky suite or perhaps a Celebrity suite.

Suite perks aside, what is most attractive about that cabin class, other than some additional square footage, that would justify the additional thousands of dollars in cost? Folks spend their money according to what best fits their needs and desires. That's the way it should be. But, if I do not want a butler, need premium drinks or exclusive dining and venues, is my money well spent on a suite? I will admit, my DW and I have talked about it on occasion and will probably give one a try in the future. Currently, we have five cruises on the books between December 2021 and November 2022. Will probably add one more  Is it worthwhile to do the suite thing on at least one of those cruises? 

19 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Have not yet tried the sweet suite life aboard any cruise ship. Always a balcony cabin and sometimes Aqua class. One day I am sure that we will indulge ourselves with at least a Sky suite or perhaps a Celebrity suite.

Suite perks aside, what is most attractive about that cabin class, other than some additional square footage, that would justify the additional thousands of dollars in cost? Folks spend their money according to what best fits their needs and desires. That's the way it should be. But, if I do not want a butler, need premium drinks or exclusive dining and venues, is my money well spent on a suite? I will admit, my DW and I have talked about it on occasion and will probably give one a try in the future. Currently, we have five cruises on the books between December 2021 and November 2022. Will probably add one more  Is it worthwhile to do the suite thing on at least one of those cruises? 

When we were younger cruising was all about the destinations and we spent lots of time in all areas of the ship joining in some activities and enjoying shows at times. As our son got older we started booking suites for extra space (GS/OS) on RC mainly. The perks of priority boarding, concierge lounge, suite dining spaces were nice but not essential. As it was a time before drinks packages the suite did pay for itself to some degree in reducing the pre and post dinner bar bills!

It is as we have got older we have enjoyed the perks of suites more....

If we didn’t have priority boarding I would probably need a wheelchair to board as I cannot stand for long.

We do spend far more time in our suite so a bigger balcony, in suite dining space and a roomy bathroom all add to our comfort levels.

Dining is our ‘evening entertainment’ along with a few pre and post dinner drinks so good food, service and a comfortable bar are valued.

Whilst we don’t usually use the butler or the concierge that much it is nice if you have been overcharged or have a problem with a reservation to simply let them deal with it. 

We usually book RS or PH and do like having an insuite bar set up.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it depends what you (presently) want from a cruise as to if you will find it ‘value for money’...

To us the three key factors are...

better room

better dining experience

more personalised service

Perhaps look for a last minute upgrade on one of your upcoming cruises and give the suite life a go at a price you feel comfortable at...

Whatever room you cruise in next, enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We enjoy corner aft Sky Suites on Celebrity S-Class ships.  The hump Sky Suites on M-Class ships and the spacious CS on M-Class too.  We also sail Royal Caribbean.  No reason to book a junior suite (no benefit to it).  But we go to the GS and on Oasis Class we sailed in a Crown Loft Suite on Harmony.  We loved it!

The only small benefit in a jr suite is double points 😎